nvidia secret event, does nvidia release a new GPU every three months?

Did NV secretly hire Roy for PR? This "secret event" with NDA expiring today seems like hogwash.

They should sell a dual-GPU Titan X at $750 to terminate AMD. They need to cut prices in order to deliver a lethal blow. Then, after AMD is taken care of, they would be able to set prices higher.

They should sell a dual-GPU Titan X at $750 to terminate AMD. They need to cut prices in order to deliver a lethal blow. Then, after AMD is taken care of, they would be able to set prices higher.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but for Nvidia to "terminate" AMD with a move like that will have lasting and severe repercussions for everyone in this subforum.

It's not even a joke - competition is required or we're all fucked and a lot of you don't seem to realize this.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but for Nvidia to "terminate" AMD with a move like that will have lasting and severe repercussions for everyone in this subforum.

It's not even a joke - competition is required or we're all fucked and a lot of you don't seem to realize this.
I doubt it would be much worse than it is today. Competition from AMD is basically non-existant as far as Nvidia is concerned.

I doubt it would be much worse than it is today. Competition from AMD is basically non-existant as far as Nvidia is concerned.

It's hard to say exactly how AMD's demise would play out in the market, but I think their lack of competitiveness is definitely a factor in the way that higher-tier cards do not drop in price over time as significantly as they once did.

There's a reason Microsoft chose to inject cash into Apple to keep them afloat, too. Being deemed a monopoly has serious regulatory consequences. I wouldn't be shocked to see NVidia do the same thing for the same reasons if it came down to it.

LoL... There's your answer Avalon. No competition needed apparently.

:D
Since 2012, AMD has under-cut Nvidia once (290/290X vs 770/780).
Nvidia did it at least 3 times this generation; the 680 (vs 7970), 970 (vs 290X), and 980 Ti (vs Fury X)

If anything you should be thanking Nvidia for keeping AMD in check. And it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Nvidia has way more financial wiggle room.

Since 2012, AMD has under-cut Nvidia once (290/290X vs 770/780).
Nvidia did it at least 3 times this generation; the 680 (vs 7970), 970 (vs 290X), and 980 Ti (vs Fury X)

If anything you should be thanking Nvidia for keeping AMD in check. And it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Nvidia has way more financial wiggle room.

Well, there you have it. Without competition there wouldn't be any undercutting of prices on either side.

It's hard to say exactly how AMD's demise would play out in the market, but I think their lack of competitiveness is definitely a factor in the way that higher-tier cards do not drop in price over time as significantly as they once did.

Yeah, AMD has good competitive parts in the mid-range marketplace. For high end cards, not so much. IMHO 390x / Fury X are at best upper mid range in todays market. Nvidia owns the top end, and we see what that has done to top end pricing.

Can you imagine what the market would look like if the same happened in the mid range as well?

Zarathustra[H];1041925665 said:
So, if the NDA expired yesterday, anyone know what it was?

I'm thinking that it's another NDA to extend the NDA that just lifted.

Nothing on their Blog or Newsroom.... maybe they forgot. Or, maybe its so secret that they still haven't figured out what it is. I'm betting everything on a 3 gpu card using old GK104 chips they dug out of a closet, the 690 Magnum Special Edition. Comes with 6 gigs of ram, same as the 980 Ti!

I think the secret event was just celebrating Back to the Future day.

They announced the Flux Capacitor Titan on their social media.

I don't think there is an actual card announcement coming any time soon.

Last edited:
Dual Maxwell will be announced when Dual Maxwell is announced and not a moment before. That, or Jen-Hsun is just waiting on confirmation that AMD is about to announce a dual Fury. That's when he'll beat em to the punch with GTX990.

Only at the high end. The 390 is arguably a better purchase than the 970 and the 390X is comparable to the 980. The Fury lineup was underwhelming but it's at least competitive, compared to how AMD lines up against Intel with CPUs.

Dual Maxwell will be announced when Dual Maxwell is announced and not a moment before. That, or Jen-Hsun is just waiting on confirmation that AMD is about to announce a dual Fury. That's when he'll beat em to the punch with GTX990.
Dual Fury has been announced and already shown a few times. The only unknown is the release date.

Only at the high end. The 390 is arguably a better purchase than the 970 and the 390X is comparable to the 980. The Fury lineup was underwhelming but it's at least competitive, compared to how AMD lines up against Intel with CPUs.
Competition only matters if it impacts sales.
How are 390's selling compared to 970's? On Amazon, I see 6 separate models of 970s outselling the #1 390 (MSI). There are 3 models of 980 Tis above it, too.

Competition only matters if it impacts sales.
How are 390's selling compared to 970's? On Amazon, I see 6 separate models of 970s outselling the #1 390 (MSI). There are 3 models of 980 Tis above it, too.

The 390 performs about the same as a 970 while using 100W+ more and having less features.

I can't imagine anyone picking a 390 over 970.

I do enjoy how many AMD fans talk like that. I'm starting to wonder if they are just Xbox fans trolling PC forums.
There's a lot of misinformation from both sides, a lot more than usual from AMD these days... But that was a good post, aside from the Nvidia slang word he kept using. Just be glad the AMD community is fighting back instead of rolling over.

The 390 performs about the same as a 970 while using 100W+ more and having less features.

What features is it missing exactly? I have a 980 Ti and a 290 in different machines. For all practical purposes they do the same things.

Yes it uses more power, but 100W isn't a big deal unless you are trying to put it in an SFF case. It has 8GB of VRAM versus 3.5GB and to me that is a much bigger selling point.

One thing that bothers me about this forum is that everyone looks at the 980 Ti beating the Fury X soundly and extrapolates that down the entire AMD product stack, which is not true. The 380, 390 and 390X are great products and perform very well, typically on par or better than the NVIDIA equivalent for less money, at the trade off of higher power consumption and heat.

I have a 285 in my HTPC that runs great at 1080P, I am playing Project CARS on my 65" TV with most settings at Ultra and MSAA on, perfectly smooth. My 290 in my girlfriend's PC runs games pretty well at 2560x1440, perfectly playable for her. Is my 980 Ti faster? Yes, obviously, but it was $650. For the money AMD makes good products.

I think the Fiji boards are overpriced and I was disappointed with how they launched the 300 series, both the marketing and the repurposing of Hawaii instead of a new GPU, but at the end of day most GPU sales are <$300 products and AMD does pretty well there.

One thing that bothers me about this forum is that everyone looks at the 980 Ti beating the Fury X soundly and extrapolates that down the entire AMD product stack, which is not true. The 380, 390 and 390X are great products and perform very well, typically on par or better than the NVIDIA equivalent for less money, at the trade off of higher power consumption and heat.

I have a 285 in my HTPC that runs great at 1080P, I am playing Project CARS on my 65" TV with most settings at Ultra and MSAA on, perfectly smooth. My 290 in my girlfriend's PC runs games pretty well at 2560x1440, perfectly playable for her. Is my 980 Ti faster? Yes, obviously, but it was $650. For the money AMD makes good products.

I think the Fiji boards are overpriced and I was disappointed with how they launched the 300 series, both the marketing and the repurposing of Hawaii instead of a new GPU, but at the end of day most GPU sales are <$300 products and AMD does pretty well there.
We've been having this discussion since 2007 or 2008.
Nvidia has been the flagship king for a long time, and AMD dominates everywhere else in terms of value. The only difference between then and now is that Fiji needs to be about $50-$100 cheaper and Hawaii/Grenada needs to consume about 50W less power. And of course we have children on the internet exclaiming things like "AMD is better performance per dollar" as if it's a revelation. It's been true for nearly a decade... Some people are just now realizing it because they haven't been paying attention for a few years.

The whole Fiji series is just a resounding failure in that regard which distracts from AMD's success elsewhere. Also, you know, rebrands... Regardless of how competitive. Like I said they could have just released Hawaii 2.0 with power optimizations and it would have been enough.

I do enjoy how many AMD fans talk like that. I'm starting to wonder if they are just Xbox fans trolling PC forums.

The funny part is he (D2 Ultima) has owned nothing except nVidia hardware, and has said he would never buy an AMD card until CrossFire works in windowed mode. You don't have to be from the red camp to criticize nVidia, and likewise just because you say negative things about nVidia doesn't make you an AMD troll. But of course I know to quite a few people on this forum nVidia is beyond reproach so whatever.

970 is a year old, a 960 ti that is a refreshed 970 with full bandwidth 4GB of memory at the $250 price range would be popular.

Me, Although I am satisfied with my G1 GTX 970,
I wish I had scored the 290X or the 390X in full 4GB or 8GB VRAM, but that's just me though.
361.jpg

TBH I prefer to be on the red team but but but

Me, Although I am satisfied with my G1 GTX 970

The memory partition didn't change the benchmarks. It was cheaper than a 290 while matching a 290x. It pretty much gutted AMD's entire lineup and stole what little market share they had left.

Mysterious Graphics Chip from Nvidia, the ‘JM601’ GPU, Spotted in Shipping Manifest on Zauba
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-graphics-chip-jm-601-gpu-spotted/

Vaguest thing I've ever seen, but better than nothing to speculate on.

"there are two possible things that could be happening: 1) Nvidia has finally wizened up and started scrambling the code names of the GPUs to hide their progress from our eyes or 2) the nomenclature is correct and this is something we have never seen before."

I'll go with #1 and a previous rumor I've seen that they're starting Pascal with the biggest chips and working their way down, meaning that could be a flagship Pascal GPU for the Tesla or Quadro lines.

Back