Nvidia is At It Again

lolwut? Nvidia's strategy is to take their old topend, shrink,tweak it, and it becomes the new midrange. They then take the midrange and turn it into the low end. So how exactly are they going to get a new top end if they don't develop a new architecture? Furthermore are you really suggesting the the 5870 has more "architectural development" than the GF100?

lets ask the market: which one has better benchmarks?

The only two cards that have the exact same specs are the 210 and the 310. Please show me what retailer you can buy a Geforce 310 from. I'll give you a little help, you can't. It is an OEM only card. Are you suggesting someone is going to buy a new machine with a 310 in it and then go out and buy a 210 to replace it because they are confused?

I am not justifying what they've done. I am saying they are no different than ATI.

So you are telling me you would rather have a 5750 than your 4870? I doubt that very much.

I'm saying it IS different. Same card vs different card is not the same thing.

Would I buy a 5750 over a 4870? No I wouldn't, but that doesn't apply to everyone. If it did, ATI would not sell any 5750's. Like I said, you're taking a topic and skewing it towards one characteristic, performance. It wasn't the same thing the first time you mentioned it, it wasn't the same thing the second time you mentioned it, and it's still not the same thing now.

And no, i never said or even suggested someone was going to buy a 210 to replace a 310, where did you see that???

I think that people whine too much. Take some personal responsibility and do your research before you buy something. It isn't NVIDIA's fault when you buy a card without knowing what it is. It is yours.

Personal responsibility and self-accountability are in short supply these days.

Anybody who thinks Gov't intervention will "fix" things, is a sandwich shy of a picnic. lol

lolwut? Nvidia's strategy is to take their old topend, shrink,tweak it, and it becomes the new midrange. They then take the midrange and turn it into the low end. So how exactly are they going to get a new top end if they don't develop a new architecture? Furthermore are you really suggesting the the 5870 has more "architectural development" than the GF100?

The 9600GSO, which was midrange last generation, is going to be the midrange this year. Same for the GTS 250.

That's not moving down a production line, that's rebranding.

I have to say with the car analogy, that for a while the government did mandate the auto industry a bit requiring a minimum efficiency standards for any cars made and sold in the US. Average fuel mileage during that time went up significantly, the age of the gas-gussers started to end and efficently was greatly improved.

Since that point, innovation pretty much has stagnated and the average fuel efficently actually went down in the early 90s to the first half of the 2000s with the creation of large, luxury svu, trucks, etc with piss-poor efficency. It's only really recently that fuel milage has started to improve with saving money becoming a large selling point for nearly anything. Even the worst of cable companies like xfinity aka comcast market with their wonderful 3-in-1 bundles, etc.

I've got to say though, in regards to the 5750 versus the 4890 comment, with the 5750 at least you are getting a new version of Directx 11, more possible eyecandy features(whether the power to turn them on is there is questionable though) and Eyefinity. Buying a 310 versus a 210, your getting the same card with no new features avaik. So there is not ANY advantage getting a 310 versus a 210 bundled with your oem machine, yet, if there was a higher price on one containing a 310 you could easily be tricked into thinking you were getting a better deal. That's pretty poor imo.

The 5xxx series is hardly a new architecture. It's just a severely refreshed and duct taped R600. ATI won't have a new architecture for DX11 for awhile. If anything after next month it will be ATI that is 6-12 months behind NVIDIA.

Fermi isn't a completely new architecture either. Hell, most of the chip isn't a new architecture. Fermi and the 5xxx series *both* have architectural changes from their previous generations. Does the Fermi have more architectural changes? Yes, but at the same time Nvidia's previous architecture was farther behind than ATI's in implementing the DX11 spec, as in the 4xxx series already had DX 10.1, it already had tessellation, etc...

But to call the 5xxx series nothing more than a "refreshed and duct taped R600" is just pathetic. The engineering effort that went into making the 5xxx series as small, fast, and lower power as it is was no less impressive than Fermi's massive GPGPU performance.

I doubt any one who calls them self a "Nvidia fan" cares what nvidia does in the sub 100$ segment of the market anymore than they care what Intel does in the IGP market.

In the sub $100 segment probably not, but I bet there are plenty of Nvidia fans here that want to know what is going into the $100-250 gap, and they probably won't be please if it is just a rebadge.

The 5xxx series is hardly a new architecture. It's just a severely refreshed and duct taped R600. ATI won't have a new architecture for DX11 for awhile. If anything after next month it will be ATI that is 6-12 months behind NVIDIA.

wow really?

comments like this make me question what goes on inside of the average nvidia fanboi

Pure gold this is why I love the Nvidia sub forums :D Its too easy.

Therefore call it something else and charge the same price you did 4 years ago! brilliant!

Where do you see them charging the same price? The fake outrage over something that doesn't even affect you is highly amusing by the way.

Re-branding de-emphasizes the need for new architecture across all lines of production, including enthusiast lines.

Bogus logic. I could just as easily say re-branding enables them to continue selling product *SO THAT* they can make their next generation chips... or at least have more time to perfect them for you and I.

Bogus logic goes both ways.

At the end of the day, the reason for doing this has been completely misrepresented. NVIDIA is under no illusions that they are somehow tricking the consumer. They're simply making their line-up make sense top to bottom when they don't have new product (essentially admitting they fucked up) from a model number perspective, so you don't have to compare a 9600 to an 8800 to a GTX285.. those very same gullible and uneducated consumers you talk about would have absolutely no idea what to make of that.

Last edited:
Back