Nvidia is At It Again

Damn I really thought the 340 was going to be a GTS 250 but it looks like whole 3xx line is transcribed directly across, so maybe we'll see a 8800GTS/9800GTX+/GTS250/GTS350 soon enough.

"Instead, Nvidia has merely rebranded some of its older chips with bigger numbers for the benefit of OEMs"

Thats scam.

holy shit rebranding

where did that dead horse go...

oh wait its a zombie horse!! oh shit. kill it with fire!

Jesus Christ. When are people going to get over this? It isn't a scam, it isn't evil, and it isn't dishonest. It is a marketing thing. If you as a consumer are doing your due diligence when making a purchasing decision you'd find out what a given GPU is in the course of your research. More importantly that doesn't even matter. You look at what is available in your price point and get the best one. If that's last years GPU and you know what features it does or doesn't have, why does that matter?

I swear people get bent out of shape about the most inconsequential of things. I'm no NVIDIA fanboy, but I've got to say I just can't bring myself to care about this, nor do I believe this is a big deal. It isn't as if they are secretly re-branding things. There is too much information about it for that to be the case.

Would it be fraud if Nvidia came out with a rebranded, revised, renamed GPU called a GTS 410 misleading consumers to think it's a DirectX 11, Tesselation-capable GPU when in fact it's the "good 'ol" G92b core which is DirectX 10 only?

That would be the lowest thing Nvidia would possibly do. This rebranding is getting pretty ridiculous if looking at it from a consumer point of view.

Would it be fraud if Nvidia came out with a rebranded, revised, renamed GPU called a GTS 410 misleading consumers to think it's a DirectX 11, Tesselation-capable GPU when in fact it's the "good 'ol" G92b core which is DirectX 10 only?

That would be the lowest thing Nvidia would possibly do. This rebranding is getting pretty ridiculous if looking at it from a consumer point of view.

No it wouldn't be. What is unethical is saying the card has features that it doesn't or promising a feature and never delivering it. AKA Purevideo on the 6800 series cards. If a consumer believes that a GTS 410 is a DX11 GPU with Tessellation, then that is their own fault for not doing their research before making a purchase.

Jesus Christ. When are people going to get over this? It isn't a scam, it isn't evil, and it isn't dishonest. It is a marketing thing.

In this case I'm going to have to disagree. With the 2xx series renaming, that was fine - whatever. But Nvidia is now going to cause some major confusion with the 3xx series due to conflicting feature sets. I can't think of another lineup where half the cards were one version of DX and the other half a newer version of DX. You'll now end up with the 3xx series being a mix of some DX11 cards and some DX10 cards. I can't think of another case where that was true, for either nvidia or ati. Nvidia's entire 8xxx series - all DX10, the entire FX 5xxx series - all DX 9, etc...

And the argument that the consumer should do research is really just bullshit. Yes, the consumer should do research, but you should never require the consumer to learn massive amounts of information and weigh the importance of DX11 vs. whatever just to buy a damn video card. This latest move by Nvidia is a dishonest at best.

... but better than Toyota. At least their GPUs won't plunge you off a cliff at 130mph.

I can't think of another lineup where half the cards were one version of DX and the other half a newer version of DX. You'll now end up with the 3xx series being a mix of some DX11 cards and some DX10 cards. I can't think of another case where that was true, for either nvidia or ati. Nvidia's entire 8xxx series - all DX10, the entire FX 5xxx series - all DX 9, etc...
GeForce4 MX = DX7 ( = GeForc2 MX+)
GeForce4 Ti = DX8

GeForce4 Ti = DX8

Beat me to it. Also cards like the FX 5200 were too slow to use their DX9 capabilities. It was actually slower in every way than the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 it replaced. Whether we like it or not you do need to know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to computer hardware in order to keep from being ripped off or spending money on things you don't need or won't benefit from.

Similarly.

Radeon 9000-9200 = DX8
Radeon 9500-9800 = DX9

Both camps do it. OP, you gonna boycott them all and play with Intel integrated?

Agreed. This is nothing to be butt hurt over. Caveat emptor still and always will apply.

GeForce4 Ti = DX8
Waaaay back in college. Had a roommate who was super frustrated, upset and couldn't understand why my P3-800 Coppermine w/ a GF2PRO ran circles around his brand new expensive Dell/Gateway with P4 1.4 Willamette w/ GF4 MX.

Consumers suffer, but only when they don't do their own research. Same for any market.

...If you as a consumer are doing your due diligence when making a purchasing decision you'd find out what a given GPU is in the course of your research. More importantly that doesn't even matter. You look at what is available in your price point and get the best one. If that's last years GPU and you know what features it does or doesn't have, why does that matter?

Exactly.

'Higher numbers are always better' marketing only works with lazy people.

And for the record, I bloody love my G92 8800GTS 512! Well a good design in every way. Probably the best engineered graphics card/board I've bought since the Radeon 9800pro. G92 should go down in history as the chip that deservedly made nvidia a shitload of cash. :cool:

Big deal. It's not like any of us are going to be buying these cards. Hell, I'd say close to 90% of regular Video Card subforum posters are completely unwilling to buy any NVIDIA card at this point. This really necessitates drama?

Big deal. It's not like any of us are going to be buying these cards. Hell, I'd say close to 90% of regular Video Card subforum posters are completely unwilling to buy any NVIDIA card at this point. This really necessities drama?

Right now NVIDIA has nothing to offer in most price points. AMD is dominating this round.

If people stayed quiet and fell in line, Nvidia would be more bold with their schemes. The consumer wins when Nvidia or AMD is pressured to give more for less. Nvidia marketing is a scheme to give the consumer less for more. The more people are aware (even the uninformed), the better deals we see.

Waaaay back in college. Had a roommate who was super frustrated, upset and couldn't understand why my P3-800 Coppermine w/ a GF2PRO ran circles around his brand new expensive Dell/Gateway with P4 1.4 Willamette w/ GF4 MX.

Consumers suffer, but only when they don't do their own research. Same for any market.

I had a GF2pro, man that thing slayed halflife at 12xx X 10xx res. only thing i remember was incredibly hot summer i had to take off the side of the computer and put a desk fan next to it to keep it cool. Sniping in TFC baby. AMD Duron 900 @ 1.2ghz 1 gig of ram. 80 gig HD. it was the bomb.

Oh and it is dishonest to keep renaming something to make it apear current. If a brand new tech comes out and they add to to the current gen instead of a new gen item. that seems reasnable. If you take a new number and slap it on a old chip and call it hot shit, then thats where the dishonesty comes in.

Jesus Christ. When are people going to get over this? It isn't a scam, it isn't evil, and it isn't dishonest. It is a marketing thing.

Kinda like when Kroger or Safeway takes fresh chicken breast that's past the due date, coates it in BBQ sauce and spices and repackages it as "ready to cook"...that's "a marketing thing." :p

Jesus Christ. When are people going to get over this? It isn't a scam, it isn't evil, and it isn't dishonest. It is a marketing thing. If you as a consumer are doing your due diligence when making a purchasing decision you'd find out what a given GPU is in the course of your research. More importantly that doesn't even matter. You look at what is available in your price point and get the best one. If that's last years GPU and you know what features it does or doesn't have, why does that matter?

I swear people get bent out of shape about the most inconsequential of things. I'm no NVIDIA fanboy, but I've got to say I just can't bring myself to care about this, nor do I believe this is a big deal. It isn't as if they are secretly re-branding things. There is too much information about it for that to be the case.

I'd totally agree with you if not for the four threads every two days on the Evga forums 'GT250 SLOW PERFORMANCE HEP'

Next it's going to be n00bs crowding up the 'GT300 / 400' branch with 'ZOMG REBRANDED CRAPSTICK BAD PERFORMANCE'

Strikes me as shady. Always has. Wouldn't make a thread about it, but always will. People buy a GT200 card expecting GTX 200 performance.

Jesus Christ. When are people going to get over this? It isn't a scam, it isn't evil, and it isn't dishonest. It is a marketing thing. If you as a consumer are doing your due diligence when making a purchasing decision you'd find out what a given GPU is in the course of your research.
This argument leads to a slippery slope. Using your argument, I can also justify companies spending money buying favorable reviews -- if you as a consumer are doing your due diligence when making a purchasing decision you'd find out which review sites are trustworthy.

The purpose of due diligence is to protect ourselves from deception; not to justify it.

And the argument that the consumer should do research is really just bullshit. Yes, the consumer should do research, but you should never require the consumer to learn massive amounts of information and weigh the importance of DX11 vs. whatever just to buy a damn video card. This latest move by Nvidia is a dishonest at best.

I think that argument is pretty poor. It is not their job to educate you. Their job is to make money for their shareholders. They make all the other relevant information available to everyone. Most major sites like newegg/tigerdirect/etc has a compare function. Hell even the amount of free advice on the net is insane. It takes about 30 sec to google a board like [H] and another 2-3 minutes to ask a question in a post...

I agree with Dan_D, but really, this IS a little shady (not dishonest).

It IS marketing, and whole point IS to pray on the stupid/lazy/ignorant by making them think "Ooh, new line, new products" when there aren't. I think it's wrong personally, but to each his own, and yes, if anyone is willing to read just a bit they'll not fall for this.

It's dishonest if they don't make it explicit that the 3xx "series" isn't new technology vs the 8800-9800-2xx branded cards.

Last edited:
I'm personally mad at ATI and will be boycotting them. I bought a Radeon 5450 to replace my 4870x2 because it had a higher number and it had DX11. But this POS is slower than hell! This is suppose to be a new chip that's super power efficient and has incredible realism! Hell their product page even says this about it

Enhance your entertainment experience with Windows® 7 and DirectX® 11, play the most popular games online and watch HD video with incredible realism

Consumes less than 20 watts under full load, eliminating the need for an external power connection and making installation a snap.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, where does it stop? If you are stupid enough to buy ANYTHING without having a half a clue about what you're getting, then you deserve what you buy.

If they sold you a 280 1GB version that contained a GT200 and a 280 2GB version that contained a G92b then it's a real argument. But see, this isn't a real argument. It isn't people actually buying this stuff and finding out later and posting about it. It's just dumb trolls and fanboys trying to say how shitty the other guy is because they've decided their relationship with their video card is more important than their dignity.

It absolutely is dishonest.

Nvidia release (when they do) the 380+370 and rely on the halo effect to motivate purchases of the rebranded everything else 3xx.

Unless in every press release etc they give vaunting the new techonology in the 370/380 they issue a disclaimer about the other 3xx products (i.e. make it explicit that they are talking about the 370/380 and not the "3xx [in-name-only] series",
then they are misleading customers and in some cases arguably defrauding them.

The 300 series is an OEM only series. Furthermore, the GF100 will be released as the GTX 480 and GTX 470.

nvidiag92history.png

I would laugh pretty hard if someone bought all of these cards, in this order, expecting an upgrade each time.

i agree witht hing that they both do it but for god sake same gpu for 5 generation :mad: enough is enough

I would laugh pretty hard if someone bought all of these cards, in this order, expecting an upgrade each time.

Hm, they skipped a 7 in there.
(8800, 9600, 150, 240, 330. Wonder if it'll live on as the 420 and 510?)

No it wouldn't be. What is unethical is saying the card has features that it doesn't or promising a feature and never delivering it. AKA Purevideo on the 6800 series cards. If a consumer believes that a GTS 410 is a DX11 GPU with Tessellation, then that is their own fault for not doing their research before making a purchase.

Kind of like Physx... if you have an ATI card as the main GPU and you bought a second Nvidia GPU just for Physx... but it doesn't work...advertised feature - but it doesn't work....sorry but Nvidia are just scumbags with their marketing.

Interesting point, I suppose that Nigerian emails are not really scams, Had the victim done their research before they pay up, no body gets hurt, it is telemarketing

Interesting point, I suppose that Nigerian emails are not really scams, Had the victim done their research before they pay up, no body gets hurt, it is telemarketing
nVidia can call their product whatever they want to. It's not illegal, and they're delivering exactly what they promise if you buy one of the rebranded GPUs. I don't think I need to explain that if you send your money to a Nigerian scammer, you don't get what they promise.

Is it unethical? Yes.

Is it sad that the only way nVidia feels they can compete is by renaming old GPUs? Yes.

Will anyone who frequents these forums buy one without knowing what they're getting? No.

Back