Year  Board                         Price	Inflation Adjusted
2000  Geforce 2 Ultra               $500                $650        
2001  Geforce 3 TI 500 		    $350                $440
2003  Geforce 4 TI 4600             $400                $480
2003  Geforce 5950 Ultra            $500                $600
2004  Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme    $540                $640
2006  Geforce 7900 GTX              $500                $550
2007  Geforce 8800 Ultra            $850                $920
[B][COLOR="Red"]2008  Geforce GTX 280               $650                $675[/COLOR][/B]
2009  Geforce GTX 285               $400                $415
2010  Geforce GTX480                $500                $505
2010  Geforce GTX580                $500                $500

To be fair, us early adopters of the GTX 280 did receive a rebate. Something like $125-150. Can't remember exactly.

I do plan on picking up a 580 after Christmas season. Should be a nice upgrade for me. I got older, and stopped upgrading just because something new is out. I am trying not to let myself slip to far behind though. :)

And another thing. I would love to see Kyle switch the honeycomb 18mm fans out of that Raven and get a temp review with the AP181 fans. Should work great with those three cards.

/selfish and wishful thinking

I got older, and stopped upgrading just because something new is out. I am trying not to let myself slip to far behind though. :)

You and me borth. When I bought my 24" 1920x1200 LCD in early 2005, by 6800GT wasnt fast enough to play CS source and HL 2 at the natural resolution, and I wasn't gaming much anymore, so I kind of just stopped caring.

I had my Socket 754 Athlon 64 and 6800GT until july 2009, when I built myself a new system. I only put a 9400GT in my core i7 system at that point because I "didn't play games anymore", but then I got a Radeon 5750 when I started playing Civ4 which led to a GTX470 for HL2 and beyond, and the downhill tumble is starting all over again...

This is a whole lot more dangerous than in college cause I actually have money to be tempted to spend too much of now... :p

Here's a fun one...

1214070819a.jpg

Was this actually taken today?

Haha, no, that's from 3 years ago IIRC. The current lol would have to be the $200 260 found here. Yes, Fry's still has this on the shelf. Probably have $150 9600GT's too.

Sort of as a "follow-up" for those still trying to decide & for those who'd like to post their comparison results: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036413448#post1036413448

Just received, installed and tested the 580, and despite the rather high price tag, so far I can suggest that it's definitely worth stepping-up from the 480.

So far, here's some results:

GTX 480 - usual idle temp w/ fan @ 55% was 45C+
GTX 580 - idle temp w/ fan @50% is 34C

That's -11C at 5% slower fan speed and quiet!

Borderlands
GTX 480 - usual load temp w/ fan @ 79%+ was 67C-74C
GTX 580 - load temp w/ fan @ 70% is 53C

That's -9% fan speed, @ 14C-23C cooler... and quiet!

FPS is now 4-15 higher just so far with brief testing, same exact scenario, environment and on-screen action. Generally upwards of 9-15fps higher most of the time.

The GTX 580 is actually a big improvement over the 480 in every way... much quieter, much cooler and the performance so far is actually also worth the cost when you put all of these factors together.

For what it's worth, there's just a small example. Glad I made the move. Definitely worth it!

Would love to hear the results of others as well!

Sort of as a "follow-up" for those still trying to decide & for those who'd like to post their comparison results: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036413448#post1036413448

Would love to hear the results of others as well!

Reposting myself from another thread:

I love my new 580 (eVGA)! It is whisper quiet on auto fan maxing @ 51% (inaudible over my other case fans) with 67c peak temps at an overclock of 830core/4130mem... friggin awesome card! It performs amazingly well, too. I'm glad I made the switch. Fan looks to be a larger diameter than my 470's were, which helps I'm sure... it's running at a low RPM and cooling great.

I bought one today. EVGA (gotta have the lifetime warranty) from Newegg with the $50 off thing. Total out the door $559.99 (tax and shipped to CA). I wish I would have seen reviews with the GTX 280 in there for comparison since that is what I currently have. Hopefully I'm going to get a good boost.

I bought one today. EVGA (gotta have the lifetime warranty) from Newegg with the $50 off thing. Total out the door $559.99 (tax and shipped to CA). I wish I would have seen reviews with the GTX 280 in there for comparison since that is what I currently have. Hopefully I'm going to get a good boost.

I had 3 280s before going to 3 480s and it was a HUGE speed boost. You won't be disappointed!:D

yikes 3x 580s wowzas; what are you getting in games? Does it scale well at 3x sli?

man that is nothing
a bestbuy in my state was selling gtx 295 bfg tech for 700 dollars 5 months ago

Good review! The GTX 580 seems like a solid card and Nvidia did a good job fixing all the things reviewers complained about with the GTX 480. :)

Has HardOCP ever considered a folding@home benchmark within the reviews of gpus and cpus?

I believe it would be relevant and useful to a sizable amount of readers.

Last edited:
Isn't folding@home a bit of a joke as far as gpu's go?

I believe there are far better distributed computing programs about, not sure as I don't use them but I have heard that folding@home is quite a bit behind others and has been for a while. Perhaps wrong on that.

I believe there are far better distributed computing programs about, not sure as I don't use them but I have heard that folding@home is quite a bit behind others and has been for a while. Perhaps wrong on that.

Joke in which sense? Far better distributed computering in which sense as well?

There are currently 350,000 people actively folding for f@h. 15,000 of which are registered for team HardOCP folding, and it shows since HardOCP is ranked #2 in the folding world.

By 2007: "Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness,[2] and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects.[3] The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."[4]"

So regardless of which you were implying, software, goal, and etc, none of it applies.

p/s.: gpu support is across the board and extends to PS3 owners, to which many PS3 owners fold with the gpu inside their gaming console.

Joke in which sense? Far better distributed computering in which sense as well?

There are currently 350,000 people actively folding for f@h. 15,000 of which are registered for team HardOCP folding, and it shows since HardOCP is ranked #2 in the folding world.

By 2007: "Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness,[2] and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects.[3] The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."[4]"

So regardless of which you were implying, software, goal, and etc, none of it applies.

p/s.: gpu support is across the board and extends to PS3 owners, to which many PS3 owners fold with the gpu inside their gaming console.

WTF hardocp is # 2 who is # 1?

oh nm when did evga over take hard was still 1 last i looked a few weeks ago

only for AMD card owners. it works awesome on Nvidia cards. if you have a AMD card there are better choice to be spending your cycles on

or are you talking about being worthwhile at all?

regardless the 580GTX has shown itself to be pretty awesome at this

It's so bogus the raw power of the AMD cards is not being utilized with F@H. Here's to hoping a vender agnostic opencl client is released. This is probably AMDs fault as nv has done a lot for the Gpgpu crowd more so than AMD

Yes, that is what I thought that ATI cards were not being catered for, which is odd as it started out on ATI cards anyway. I fail to see why it would be a candidate for benchmarking when it is not designed to take advantage of all the hardware it can run on.

I am sure the person that suggested the idea was wanting a comparison of power not related to gaming, does folding@home actually serve that purpose?

I have a couple 460's in SLI that set me back $300 total, and they come very close to the 580.

I am glad Nivida is back in business making good a cards again. I sold my 5870 on ebay for $320, and bought the 460's. The ATI drivers are no good. Crashed my Windows 7 64bit system all the time with COD4!

So I've had 2 ATI cards and both had driver problems, my first was the original Radeon!

Other then that it's been Nivida since the riva 128!

I did have 3dfx boards (still have them) in SLI.

Has anyone experienced significant capacitor whine with the 580? My 285 screeches like a banshee under load, which in turns worms it's way into my audio (especially noticeable through headphones). It's an obvious grounding issue I've been unable to correct. Regardless, the whine is clearly audible from a distance, not to mention the fan noise. I'll be waiting on a 6970 comparison before I pull any triggers, but a card that doesn't howl and scream under load would be a big plus.

Nope, none at all. First card I've had in a while that didn't have that stupid whining at high fps. The fan doesn't make any sort of high pitched noise either - as it speeds up the sound of moving air gets louder but no fan noise.

WTF hardocp is # 2 who is # 1?

EVGA. Which actually puts owners of EVGA video cards in a tricky position on who to fold for. My thought on it is since [H] is behind, I'll fold for the horde to help em catch up. EVGA has plenty of folders already. ^_^

Has anyone experienced significant capacitor whine with the 580? My 285 screeches like a banshee under load, which in turns worms it's way into my audio (especially noticeable through headphones). It's an obvious grounding issue I've been unable to correct. Regardless, the whine is clearly audible from a distance, not to mention the fan noise. I'll be waiting on a 6970 comparison before I pull any triggers, but a card that doesn't howl and scream under load would be a big plus.

Have not heard any such stories about the 580. And it's vapor chamber cooling system helps keep its fan far quieter than the 580's fan.
Of course if you go with watercooling, your video card essentially becomes noiseless.

Nope, none at all. First card I've had in a while that didn't have that stupid whining at high fps. The fan doesn't make any sort of high pitched noise either - as it speeds up the sound of moving air gets louder but no fan noise.

Oh man, that's good to hear (no pun intended).

Thanks!

Of course if you go with watercooling, your video card essentially becomes noiseless.
Meh. I'm an air-cooling dinosaur. Maybe someday I'll man up put my rig under water. Maybe.

Does water cooling somehow cure the 285 of it's whine? Obviously it'll fix any fan noise.

Last edited:
Does water cooling somehow cure the 285 of it's whine?

Depends on the actual source of the whine. If the whine is coming from the gpu cooling system, then yes, because a waterblock will essentially replace your entire cooling system. If it is as you suspect from capacitors that will whine whenever the video card comes under load, then replacing the cooling system won't affect that.

Watercooling will appreciably improve GPU tempartures though. GTX 580 temps under gaming load are about 70C. My far less efficient 480 SLI gpus under gaming load stay under 50C. I will agree that WC is not for the faint of heart though. And the costs are expensive although the performance, heat, and noise gains are very nice.

Just curious...do you know if your outlet and home are properly grounded?

Just curious...do you know if your outlet and home are properly grounded?

Well, I'm currently running my system through an APC UPS. I've used an extension cord to test power from several different outlets in the room with no improvement. It could be that there's a grounding issue prevalent throughout the entire house ... I've stumbled across several odd wiring issues since I moved in just over a year ago.

I can't say with 100% confidence as I haven't tested anything with a multi-meter. I probably should.

Just don't get lulled into a false sense of security with one of those cheap testers or checking real quick with a multimeter. Recently discovered the ground wire that goes from our electrical panel to the main grounding system outside was completely loose because the ground clamp screw had rusted and broken off. It's probably been like that for a few months (I only check it once or twice a year) All the outlet testers will do is tell you that your ground and neutral are bonded at the panel level.

Back