NVIDIA Gameworks FLOW DX12 Demo

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I think one thing that all gamers can agree on is that while fire and smoke effects have come a long ways in the last two decades, those still have a long way to go. NVIDIA has been addressing this in it GameWorks catalog for developers for a good while now. GameWorks FLOW has been in beta for about a year now, and yesterday NVIDIA pushed out a video of a demo of FLOW in action using DX12. No matter what you think of GameWorks, this video is worth a look.

NVIDIA Flow is GameWorks' latest offering for combustible fluid, fire and smoke simulation, following in the footsteps of NVIDIA Turbulence and FlameWorks. The Flow library provides DX11 and DX12 implementations, and will run on any recent DX11 or DX12-capable GPU. The fluid simulation in NVIDIA Flow is modeled on an adaptive sparse voxel grid for maximum flexibility with the least memory impact, and is optimized for use of Volume Tiled Resources when available. NVIDIA Flow-1.0 is available today via Github repository through the NVIDIA Registered Developers Program.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Well I'm impressed. Too bad gameworks makes most games slower than molasses.

3. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

So you're saying a new, cutting-edge technology requires more graphics horsepower to keep the same framerates?

4. dj_spanmaster

dj_spanmaster Limp Gawd

That is pretty incredible. And it's totally unsurprising that effects like these take high horsepower. They're so complicated that it's taken 25+ years of 3D modeling to get to this point of realism.

But even then, I'm pretty 'meh' on the thing. Wake me when they have holodecks.

5. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

PhysX is the coolest thing I seen in Borderlands 2 I like when games add so much movement in the environment like with the Witcher 3 Speed Trees flaying about.

6. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Fix'd it for you.

dgz likes this.
  7. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Is your sig accurate? may explain a little...

alxlwson likes this.
  8. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

If your frame rate sucked before turning on the new "feature" then that's a different issue.

Unless you're jumping on the edgy-teen bandwagon and saying (without evidence) that all GameWorks titles have crappy frame rates.

9. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan n00bie

Sooo... It's a slightly fancier ComputeMark Fluid2D/3D?

10. Kyle_Bennett

And how do gamedevs input a benchmark into their game to use its effects?

11. BrotherMichigan

BrotherMichigan n00bie

My point is that Fluid3D is... six years old now? I'm just a little underwhelmed to be honest.

12. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

By the fact that most game developers don't bother with stuff like game engines and just work with what ever pre-packaged thing they can get to do most of the work for them? Far from the old days where you just had a guy who could do it all in assembly.

13. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

The point is that the technology to do it was available for years. Just nobody bothered to actually implement it in games.

14. IxGOxSOLO

IxGOxSOLO 2[H]4U

Looks pretty rad, actually. Granted that the smoke seems like it disappears a little too quickly and looks a little off, but other than that the effect is pretty cool.

15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Limp Gawd

No reason why game devs can't implement this without Gameworks. But it is pretty.

16. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Just because you use a licensed game engine doesn't mean you can't add features to it if you want to. And there is no other way to do things these days. Game engines have become so complicated and huge, that you need dozens of games at least to be developed on an engine to make the investment worth it.

17. bboynitrous

bboynitrous 2[H]4U

Isn't this the one that they were showcasing before the release of the 1080ti? This one was actually pretty impressive. I've not been a fan of Gameworks because of the past lock-down tactics and poor performance but this demo looked surprisingly good.

18. shad0w4life

shad0w4life Gawd

Those smoke effects are absolutely terrible, just vanishes? This would be a lot better if they were showing some crazy fog effects in a horror game or at leas ta build up of smoke rather than magic vanishing smoke, before you correct me on this imagine a house fire demo using the above.

19. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

Doesn't stop Blizzard or CD Projekt Red or id. Gameworks shows that most developers don't want to touch game engines all that much. Yes game engines are an expensive investment, which is why most large publishers have their own sets of proprietary engines that subsidiaries can use.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  20. Kyle_Bennett

The point is that NVIDIA packages these effects libraries so those are EASIER for game devs to implement. Hence the entire reason behind GameWorks. NVIDIA did not claim to invent anything, just the fact that they allow "easy access."

21. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Gameworks does make it easier for developers to implement the features it offers, that's the point of any software library one would use. But I doubt NVIDIA's reason behind making it is to make the life of developers easier. It makes their own life easier as well, when developers use libraries already optimized for their hardware. And gameworks games not always work so well on the other brand's GPUs. So that's a fringe "benefit" as well.

grtitan likes this.
  22. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I didn't know CD Projekt used their own engine. There are always exceptions. That doesn't make the rule invalid.
    Blizzard might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. MMOs and MOBA titles with cartoony graphics is not my idea of what modern gaming should offer.

23. zamardii12

zamardii12 [H]ard|Gawd

How is this any different from what we've already seen Nvidia Gameworks do with smoke in games like Batman: Arkham Knight seen here? (Btw, not sure why this video has so many dislikes) (Actually, I just checked the comments on YouTube and apparently people are saying it was false advertising this by limiting the game to 30fps when the video is clearly more than that...)

aokman likes this.
  24. oldmanbal

oldmanbal Gawd

I didn't care for the dissipation at the end when the gas turned off, otherwise, I'm all about bells and whistles. Direct x 12 was supposed to be the revolutionary freedom for particles and other post process, effects driven eye candy. Essentially we were told that there would be universal headroom for these types of additions at virtually no additional footprint. Unfortunately, until now there simply hasn't been an overwhelming addition anything close to what was expected. A lot of it is the lack of 100% commitment to DX12, and the splintered development pipelines between consoles and low end pc graphics power. I'd really like to see more of these types of features easier to implement and less resource heavy in the future. Building an immersive atmosphere for a game is often times enough for me to sign on the dotted line.

25. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

Ahhh, another lock in tech from nvidia.

If anything, they are persistent with their monopoly dreams.

26. Kyle_Bennett

Funny that you have to remember that NVIDIA does not make any games. If you have beef with the tech being used, then you should likely take it up with the game dev.

27. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Actually in a way it reminds me of the 3D explosions from Quake2.

28. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

The fanboys are never going to agree with you. I don't know why you keep trying. The energy people put into defending and attacking the two video card companies is amusing.

29. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

Funny that you are always defending them and ignoring the fact, as already mentioned, that nvidia only does this type of thing to lock games and by consequence, customers to their hardware.

30. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

I could care less for any corporation and didnt mention anybody else, yet, real fanbois will come out to defend their beloved corporations and ignore facts.

31. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

QUICK! EVERYONE MAKE THE SAME EXACT HARDWARE!!!!! Lol, you're a silly moose.
    Good thing you're not a businessman. Money would have flown by you, and you'd then be without a business.

32. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

And did i said that it was a bad business move?

All I said that they are doing this to lock customers to their hardware, is up to you to either decide that is ok for you or not.

I hate being locked into anything and try to avoid it, simple as that, but fanbois dont see that.

33. alxlwson

I think fanboys are the ones that do the most finger pointing and bitching about it. It's pretty evident.

34. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Holy shitballs that looks amazing, especially considering it's still in beta stages.

Just imagine: in 5-7 years, this will look archaic in comparison to cutting edge graphics effects tech we'll experience then. Much like how we ooh'd and aah'd over the perceived realistic graphics of games series such as Unreal, Far Cry, Crysis, Quake, Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem 3D, F.E.A.R., X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Max Payne, Jedi Knight, [insert other past gaming franchises here]...but look at them now compared to more recent titles. :)

35. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

As your first comment shows.

36. alxlwson

First nVidia card I've ever owned, bro. I buy what performs. I don't care by what methods are used. I buy for the best experience at whatever budget I have at the time.

Don't cry because your system can't run extra pretties.

37. Kyle_Bennett

Wow. Got some sand up there somewhere?

You are fully ignoring what I typed. Game developers are the ones using these effects in their games and can very well make the decision not to use NVIDIA-exclusive technology in those games. That said, your beef is with NVDIA spending millions on game effects that only its cards can run?

I wish it was all unicorns and rainbows too, but you to realize this is a business, not a let's help our competitors use our technology.

BlueFireIce, renz496 and alxlwson like this.
  38. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

"Lock" games.. You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

alxlwson likes this.
  39. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

Well, bro, I actually have a evga gtx970 ssc and an 3570k, because at the time, was the best for my needs and yes, i wanted to play arkham games and they include eye candy that can only be used with their cards, so they got me there.

As i stated before, as a business decision, yes, it works for them, but not for me, the customer, as i was "forced" to buy a nvidia card if i wanted all the bells and whistles in the games that i was very interested in playing and if i ever buy a gpu from another company, i will lose that, hence why i hate things like this.

And developers are not stupid, they get additional help and money from nvidia, so thats why many of them end up using gameworks.

Then by all means, show me the proper way to use it.

The best part of all these comments is that right away, I was called a fanboy because I stated that their intentions is to lock customers to their platform...

40. Kyle_Bennett

1st world problems right there buddy. I want to see the cape move cool in batman! WAAAAA! NVIDIA IS FORCING ME TO BUY ITS PRODUCT!! Sounds like you need a new hobby given how much hate it is causing your over a video game.