NVIDIA 3D VISION SURROUND Experience @ [H]

I still haven't gotten around to reading this entire thread (sorry, and it keeps growing, too!), but I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions, assuming they haven't already been covered. (If they've already been answered, just kindly suggesting I RTFT, and leave it at that...)

Kyle didn't think much of it, but Heatlesssun's been really selling the 3D... (I'm no longer much interested in surround, at least for the moment...)

I'm surprised how affordable 3D is... $500-$700 for a monitor and the 3D package...

Some questions:

1) I tend to get motion sickness just from some games. TDU never does this to me, but HL2 seemed to, but Portal did not. (If anything should, it's Portal, if you think about it...) Will 3D just possibly increase this issue? (waste o' money if I won't use it...)

2) What equipment to get? Heat's Alienware monitors are $500, but I see some Acer's for ~$360.

3) Is there anything someone can suggest I test to see if I like the tech? Does Best Buy have demos at their stores? Would Toy Story 3 at the theater give me an indication?

4) Is a list compiled anywhere of what games work in 3D? Which leads me to 5...

5) Since the game engines are 3D, and the maps are 3D, with real 3D objects... Is there anywhere I can read to understand why 3D isn't working in all games? I assumed it would work in everything...

And 6, which really should be #1 and ties-in with #3...

6) I have an eye disease that causes me to see multiple images in each eye. Now apparently my brain's smart enough that when I look at the world with both eyes, it can filter the ghost images and I see a single image (for the most part, anyway...), but close either eye and I'm screwed. Simple example is a single spot of light (computer LED) in the dark... With both eyes, I can tell I am probably looking at one light. Close either eye, especially with my pupils dilated since it's dark, and I honestly cannot tell how many lights I see... Since this tech makes you look at images with each eye individually, would anyone suggest I am probably just screwed from using this tech as intended? I know it's all fast enough for you to perceive motion (obviously) and 3D, but I'm wondering if at minimum I am one of those that will get a headache from this tech?

Never seen a 3D film yet, so maybe best I got check it out.

It case anyone's wondering for an example, here's how I see the world:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Kc_simulation.jpg

I wasn't diagnosed 'til two years ago when I got really, really good expensive glasses. With them, instead of a blurred main image and a really blurred ghosts (that you don't really realize are there), you now have crisp main image and pretty crisp ghosts... While the optometrist didn't understand, I've decided to stick with my ol' glasses. The ghosts are f-ing annoying!

But it's really not too bad with my ol' glasses.. Obviously with a single eye I'm screwed for reading pretty much, but with glasses I can read the tiny print on my 30" 2560x1600 monitor without much obvious issue. My best description is the brain must take and process the image you get from both eyes and subtract the ghosts...

Anyone tried playing Metro in Surround? I'm having a strange problem, which isn't actually the Surround (works fine), but trying to get OUT of Surround. I switch back to single-screen res but the screen is vertically squished. I can fix this by setting fullscreen=0 in the .cfg files, but then the game appears in my left monitor instead of my center monitor (and I can't grab the window to move it) and SLI performance in windowed mode is probably crap.

Any ideas? When I first booted the game up, I'm pretty sure it was in single-screen resolution and it looked fine.

Some questions:

1) I tend to get motion sickness just from some games. TDU never does this to me, but HL2 seemed to, but Portal did not. (If anything should, it's Portal, if you think about it...) Will 3D just possibly increase this issue? (waste o' money if I won't use it...)

You can control the depth and convergence and, for many people, this can negate motion sickness. I am a 3D Vision veteran and I pushed myself a little too far, last night. I was playing Just Cause 2 with the depth set to 85%. After two hours I had to push it back to about 50%. Default is 20%. I get motion sickness when riding in other people's cars. I was never able to spin on the tire swing growing up, either. :(

2) What equipment to get? Heat's Alienware monitors are $500, but I see some Acer's for ~$360.
Monitor(s): You can buy Samsung 2233rz's for less than $250 on eBay. I bought my first 2233rz for $410 at Microcenter. I bought two more 2233rz's on eBay, factory refurbished, for $241/ea. (The extra two monitors arrive in another three or four days)

3D Vision kit from NVIDIA: These never go on sale. Find them from a store with Bing cashback, like TigerDirect.

Video card(s): SLI GTX 280's, GTX 460's or a GTX 480 will give good performance for 3D. SLI GTX 260's will give decent performance but leave you thirsting for more. If you're playing on 3D Vision Surround, you should buy a GTX 480, now, and budget for a GTX 480 later.

Power Supply: If you are going to buy big cards, make sure your PSU has sufficient room for growth. There are no upgrades less fun than upgrading your PSU.

3) Is there anything someone can suggest I test to see if I like the tech? Does Best Buy have demos at their stores? Would Toy Story 3 at the theater give me an indication?

Movies will provide a decent experience. They basically turn the depth to the equivalent of 20% in order to make sure only the smallest percentage of people experience motion sickness. 3D Vision will give you control and will allow you to push your limits.

4) Is a list compiled anywhere of what games work in 3D? Which leads me to 5...

5) Since the game engines are 3D, and the maps are 3D, with real 3D objects... Is there anywhere I can read to understand why 3D isn't working in all games? I assumed it would work in everything...

Many, but not all games that work with 3D Vision:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

Although it's not on this list, Dragon Age is EXCELLENT in 3D!

Effects rendered in 3D will work with 3D Vision. The problem is, to increase performance developers would cheat and use 2D objects for some effects, like smoke, trees, etc. The older the game, the more common it was they had to use 2D effect to squeeze performance out of the video cards of yore. That isn't so obvious in 2D, but in 3D, it is very obvious. Also, some older games' UIs didn't layer correctly in 3D Vision, either rendering for only one eye or rendering at the correct depth.

[number 6]

Using 3D Vision should be very similar to the way you see things in the real world. The shutters close on each one sixty times per second, so your brain should never think it's only seeing out of one eye at a time.

My suggestion is to go to Best Buy. They have 3D TV's setup with demo footage from movies, like Monsters Versus Aliens. If you can watch these movies and perceive the low level of depth in them, you will be fine.

Not many places demo NVIDIA's 3D Vision. Nebraska Furniture Mart does. Fry's and Microcenter probably do, too.

Good luck! If you have any questions, ask them here. [H] has a handful of 3D evangelists on the forums. :)

Last edited:
Just a couple of things to add to what IRSmurf said.

If you live near a CompUSA, the old TigerDirect stores, TD's parent company bought the old CompUSA name when it folded; some of them have 3D VS demos, that’s where I first saw it about a 4 months ago.

Since you're going for non-surround you might think about going with the new Samsung 27" monitor that's supposed to be out shortly. I think it's going to be in the 500 to 600 range though so that might be more than you're willing to spend. I DO love these Alienwares, got them on sale for $450 apiece, they cost a little more than the others but they are nice monitors. VERY bright which is a good thing for 3D as the glasses cut down on brightness A LOT. But obviously got for what your budget allows.

Also, go for the FASTEST solution you can afford. 3D KILLS performance since it effectively rendering twice as many frames for the stereo effect, one for the left eye and one for the right. I'm not saying get 3 480s for a single screen but my guess the sweet spot for single monitor is a pair of 470s, a pair of 460s might be ok but I've not see any reviews of 460 SLI 3D so this is all conjecture on my part.

Been playing a lot of Batman AA and Just Cause 2, just great games for 3D I think. I just keep the depth at the default 15%. I don’t suffer from motion sickness and never have so I honestly don’t get when people complain about it. Now what does seem to happen to me is that at higher depths certain things get hard to look at, the depth gets all wired, like something that should be behind on thing is front of it, hard to explain but if you ever see it it’s obvious what I mean, at any rate it works great me at the default 15% in all the games I’ve tried.

And as IRSmurf said, pass along any questions you might have. I’m only on week two of 3D VS but I must say that nVidia has simply outdone itself with all of this. No its not perfect but Surround when added with 3D. There’s simply NOTHING in my 30 years of gaming that’s enhanced my joy of gaming than these two things. I do think that when put together the experience is simply revolutionary. But of course than can be used independently as your planning to do and 3D alone is still awesome.

Anyone tried playing Metro in Surround? I'm having a strange problem, which isn't actually the Surround (works fine), but trying to get OUT of Surround. I switch back to single-screen res but the screen is vertically squished. I can fix this by setting fullscreen=0 in the .cfg files, but then the game appears in my left monitor instead of my center monitor (and I can't grab the window to move it) and SLI performance in windowed mode is probably crap.

Any ideas? When I first booted the game up, I'm pretty sure it was in single-screen resolution and it looked fine.

Did you go back to a single screen in the nVidia control panel?

Did you go back to a single screen in the nVidia control panel?

No. And I've not had to switch out of Surround mode to play any other game in single screen mode. The problem, though, is not just single screen, but appearing squished vertically in single screen unless I play in windowed mode (in which case, the game starts up on my left screen)...

Monitor(s): You can buy Samsung 2233rz's for less than $250 on eBay. I bought my first 2233rz for $410 at Microcenter. I bought two more 2233rz's on eBay, factory refurbished, for $241/ea. (The extra two monitors arrive in another three or four days)

3D Vision kit from NVIDIA: These never go on sale. Find them from a store with Bing cashback, like TigerDirect.

Video card(s): SLI GTX 280's, GTX 460's or a GTX 480 will give good performance for 3D. SLI GTX 260's will give decent performance but leave you thirsting for more. If you're playing on 3D Vision Surround, you should buy a GTX 480, now, and budget for a GTX 480 later.

Power Supply: If you are going to buy big cards, make sure your PSU has sufficient room for growth. There are no upgrades less fun than upgrading your PSU.

Wow, monitor for $240 and glasses for ~$180 means 3D for ~$400! W00t!

Yeah, forgot to mention I will have an i7-920 system with (at minimum) GTX 480 in SLI (maybe tri) with dual 750W PSUs...

Many, but not all games that work with 3D Vision:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

Although it's not on this list, Dragon Age is EXCELLENT in 3D!

Effects rendered in 3D will work with 3D Vision. The problem is, to increase performance developers would cheat and use 2D objects for some effects, like smoke, trees, etc. The older the game, the more common it was they had to use 2D effect to squeeze performance out of the video cards of yore. That isn't so obvious in 2D, but in 3D, it is very obvious. Also, some older games' UIs didn't layer correctly in 3D Vision, either rendering for only one eye or rendering at the correct depth.

Ah, that makes sense for why not everything works, but why it would sound logical for it to if things were programmed right.

I found it interesting how many current games are rated poor for 3d:

Dirt 2
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Wolfenstein

Those should be excellent, not poor...

My suggestion is to go to Best Buy. They have 3D TV's setup with demo footage from movies, like Monsters Versus Aliens. If you can watch these movies and perceive the low level of depth in them, you will be fine.

Not many places demo NVIDIA's 3D Vision. Nebraska Furniture Mart does. Fry's and Microcenter probably do, too.

Good luck! If you have any questions, ask them here. [H] has a handful of 3D evangelists on the forums. :)

Sweet. I was consider going to BB, but maybe I'll also head over to NEFM during the week.

At $400 total for a single monitor setup, I'll probably take the plunge.

Thanks for your time!

Since you're going for non-surround you might think about going with the new Samsung 27" monitor that's supposed to be out shortly. I think it's going to be in the 500 to 600 range though so that might be more than you're willing to spend.

Also, go for the FASTEST solution you can afford.

And as IRSmurf said, pass along any questions you might have. I’m only on week two of 3D VS but I must say that nVidia has simply outdone itself with all of this. No its not perfect but Surround when added with 3D. There’s simply NOTHING in my 30 years of gaming that’s enhanced my joy of gaming than these two things. I do think that when put together the experience is simply revolutionary. But of course than can be used independently as your planning to do and 3D alone is still awesome.

I'm going to go cheap first and see what I think. I can afford to go expensive later, but will kick myself if I go expensive then don't like it.

GTX 480 SLI or maybe tri is what I am building. Single 1080p screen though.

Well, Heat, you're the one who sold me on the thought. It's about the only thing you post anymore. Go into a hard drive thread: "Get blah blah SSD drive as it'll load your games faster. Oh, did I mention my 3D setup? blah blah blah..."

Jk... but you get my drift...

A week ago when I began ordering my new system, 3D wasn't even a thought in my mind... But since I am building a machine dedicated solely to gaming (my current system will be used for anything else, so I can't say to myself the machine's busy doing something else, one pure gaming machine, one everything else machine), I realized I had more options...

Still not ready for surround, but with only ~$500 more for two more 3D monitors, who the hell knows!?

And thanks for your time too!

No. And I've not had to switch out of Surround mode to play any other game in single screen mode. The problem, though, is not just single screen, but appearing squished vertically in single screen unless I play in windowed mode (in which case, the game starts up on my left screen)...

I've seen games that wouldn't "go back" until I went to single screen. Switch over try it, do your settings, switch back to surround. That's worked for me on a couple of games, not tried with Metro 2033 however.

GTX 480 SLI or maybe tri is what I am building. Single 1080p screen though.

2 to 3 480s? Yeah, you good on the performance side. Indeed 3D Surround is SO taxing on games that you can often be better off playing on a single screen for the performance.

I know I can sound like a broken record but I see so many people complain about consolitis and the the death of PC, etc. that I feel like I have to add some balance. The PC gaming experience is just unbelieveable now, even with a console game like Batman AA remarkable things can be done.

There's a ton of cool stuff out there. Yeah, it costs money unfortunately, but there's just great stuff out there and this tech really takes gaming to the next level and its only on the PC for the next few years al least and for people with the right eyes for it, it will change what immersive gaming is.

Don't forget the next big title to come that 3D VS Ready, Mafia II. I am expecting some great things there, hope I'm not disappointed.

2 to 3 480s? Yeah, you good on the performance side. Indeed 3D Surround is SO taxing on games that you can often be better off playing on a single screen for the performance.

Stupid thing is I put off playing Metro 2033 and JC2 and more while I wait to get my new system built so I can play them right...

And just when I do...

Something else comes along to cause me to pause and wonder if I need to upgrade even more first!

I wanted to play them right on 2560x1600 (tri-SLI maybe), then realized I could just SLI and back off to 1080p. Which means maybe going back to my 37" 1080p for a bigger screen. But then this 3D came along.

I'd hate to run through them 2D then get 3D and go "AHHHHH!!!" that I could have played them right the first time 'round...

I see Crysis only gets a good rating... That sucks...

Yeah, Crysis doesn't work all that well, at least not 3D VS. As do the Source games. A 5 year old game like Portal will work but the performance hit is simply unacceptable. As far as I can tell the frame rate is locked at 30 and that simply is to slow for Portal and a ton a settings have to get dialed down to do it.

With Mafia II getting added to the list there's now a good core of REAL 3D titles, a few that aren't 3D VS that will work as well but the Ready titles just work much better.

but the Ready titles just work much better.

I already own these:

Metro 2033: The Last Refuge
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Just Cause 2
Resident Evil 5

And would plan to get these:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Lost Planet 2

And haven't played any of them yet! So, I better decide before I try any of 'em I guess.

Any idea how TDU looks? Or Far Cry 2? Trying to think of what else I love.

I just dont have the space for surround, but considering that I have 2x gtx 480 I would like to give 3d a try. I use my monitor for ps3 gaming as well and it just has to be 1080p. Are there any 120hz monitors that have good response time with no input lag that I can use for 3d? I looked at the samsung 3d monitor mentioned above by smurf but its not 1080p :(

Wow, you're right, I hadn't noticed that.

At least it'll help keep the framerate up though.

Yeah I missed that too. Honestly if you're budget allows I'd skip that monitor. I thought it was 1080P. The thing is 3D is CAPPED at 60FPS to make 3D working properly, even with v-sync off. 2 and DEFINITELY 3 480s simply won't have enough to do even with 3D with a single 1680x1050 monitor. Really the monitor for this VERY VERY important. You'd be better off going with 2 480s and getting the Alienware or the 27" Samsung than 3 480s with that 22" Samsung. My opinion but it is what I would do. Just food for thought if you didn't have enough already.

Yeah I missed that too. Honestly if you're budget allows I'd skip that monitor. I thought it was 1080P. The thing is 3D is CAPPED at 60FPS to make 3D working properly, even with v-sync off. 2 and DEFINITELY 3 480s simply won't have enough to do even with 3D with a single 1680x1050 monitor.

When things don't play well @ 2560x1600 on my 5870, I drop to 1280x800, nothing inbetween.

I can handle 1680x1050 to keep it cheap while I decide if I like it or not.

At least I can forget the third GTX 480, at least for now. That certainly helps keep it cheap!

Has anyone gotten Unreal games to work properly in Eyefinity or Surround?

I've tried both Unreal 1 Gold and Unreal Tournament 3, and both have the exact same issue: technically works in Surround, but extremely zoomed in/cropped. Amazing that the code in the basic engine is so similar that it behaves exactly the same after 10 years of changing it. I guess this means every UE game is unplayable in triple-monitor, which is definitely a significant portion of games...

I'm going for it. I can always sell it off if I don't like it. Plus I have an extra monitor to sell that will help reduce the cost. AFAIK this combo deal makes the monitor effectively around 300, which is 60$ dollars more than the 1680 monitor I previously mentioned. (and the poster advised that he purchased it from fleabay as a refurb, with this you have a 3 year warranty) I have looked on ebay, bing, td ect. But newegg is the one that has it. I wonder if I should wait to take advantage of BCB, but it's ending in a little over a week anyway. I also am not sure if a better quality panel will come out at the end of the year, but seeing as this was announced in january and its only coming out now means that I'll have to wait a while most likely. Half the monitors on the very short nvidia 3d support list arent even out, (LG, next acer model 245xx (supposed have less input lag than their current model or a faster response time))

Last edited:

I've tried both Unreal 1 Gold and Unreal Tournament 3, and both have the exact same issue: technically works in Surround, but extremely zoomed in/cropped. Amazing that the code in the basic engine is so similar that it behaves exactly the same after 10 years of changing it. I guess this means every UE game is unplayable in triple-monitor, which is definitely a significant portion of games...

Batman AA is a UE 3.5 game and works perfectly in Surround and EF I believe.

I'm going for it. I can always sell it off if I don't like it. Plus I have an extra monitor to sell that will help reduce the cost. AFAIK this combo deal makes the monitor effectively around 300, which is 60$ dollars more than the 1680 monitor I previously mentioned. I have looked on ebay, bing, td ect. But newegg is the one that has it. I wonder if I should wait to take advantage of BCB, but it's ending in a little over a week anyway.

Go for it, yeah comes with the glasses so this a solid deal!:D

Go for it, yeah comes with the glasses so this a solid deal!:D

Also, that way you can watch 3D blu-ray in its native res.

(is there 3D blu-ray yet? Can you get a ROM drive for it? That was question #7 that I forgot about)

Wow, Dragon Age's Eyefinity/Surround implementation is COMPLETE fail, especially considering how it's officially touted by ATI. The entire god-damn taskbar is on the left screen. None of the HUD elements are centered. For an RPG where you have to pause combat and micromanage everything, this is just beyond retarded.

That blows. I recently got DA and it will be my next game when I finish The Last Remnant. I heard both red and green are working with dev's on display issues like this, but are there patches that can be implemented for a simple fix? Or third party programs?

No fix is possible on our end. If the devs had cared about it they'd have patched it in months ago. The worst part is that if you hover over something in the taskbar, the info about the item will appear...on the opposite monitor.

If you have a good memory, I suppose you could take advantage of the 10 hotkeys for taskbar items and memorize the icons. And you can at least extend the taskbar to the full edge of the monitor and then drag and drop items so that they're less far away from you on the left.

Still, not excusable for a game that touted Eyefinity "support."

Wow, Dragon Age's Eyefinity/Surround implementation is COMPLETE fail, especially considering how it's officially touted by ATI. The entire god-damn taskbar is on the left screen. None of the HUD elements are centered. For an RPG where you have to pause combat and micromanage everything, this is just beyond retarded.

it really depends on your hobby.

I prefer to be on the left of the screen.

if you stay close to the monitors, of course you feel bad about it, but if you stay a distance from it, its good.

I'm going for it. I can always sell it off if I don't like it. Plus I have an extra monitor to sell that will help reduce the cost. AFAIK this combo deal makes the monitor effectively around 300, which is 60$ dollars more than the 1680 monitor I previously mentioned. (and the poster advised that he purchased it from fleabay as a refurb, with this you have a 3 year warranty) I have looked on ebay, bing, td ect. But newegg is the one that has it. I wonder if I should wait to take advantage of BCB, but it's ending in a little over a week anyway. I also am not sure if a better quality panel will come out at the end of the year, but seeing as this was announced in january and its only coming out now means that I'll have to wait a while most likely. Half the monitors on the very short nvidia 3d support list arent even out, (LG, next acer model 245xx (supposed have less input lag than their current model or a faster response time))

I just bought this kit and it's totally worth it. The ASUS has less features overall than the Alienware, but is much cheaper and just as good IMO. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I thought I'd use this thread to ask my question rather than create a new: Do anyone know if Nvidia 3D supports mixed resolutions? My setup is 1600x1200 + 1920x1200 + 1600x1200 (two Samsung Syncmaster 204B, one Dell 2407WFPHC). I currently have to use SoftTH to enable playing iRacing across the three screens, but I'm eager to upgrade my 4870x2+4890 to hardware that supports this natively. Or am I just dreaming? (Otherwise, 2x460s, here I come!)

EDIT: I found the requirement - "All displays must have a common resolution, refresh rate, and sync polarity". Now assuming I could find 2x other Dells 24"s then that would get me going. I'll just need to research the sync polarity requirement to see what models will work for me. Two new screens is a lot easier to justify than 3!

Last edited:
Guys, I couldn't take the time to read all of these..sheesh there's a ton - but if I have 2 Dell 30"wfp-HC's and a new rig with dual 480's in SLi, can I run the 3D Surround or do I have to have 3 monitors?

Thanks.

You can only run 3d surround on 120Hz monitors and you need three of them. You can do 2d surround on any type of monitor of same resolution, but you need 3 of them once again.

what would i have to do in order to get GTA 4 in nv surround 2d and crysis & crysis warhead to run at 5760 x 1080? , i got x3 acer 120hz monitors specs are i7 860 @ 4.0 , sli gtx 480 4 g ddr3 win 7 64 bit , i been looking around forums and watching videos in youtube about those 2 games being ran in surround mode but i cant find anything that helps me , i have both games installed on steam account , i heard of widescreen fixer for certain games like mw2 and such but none of these ones , any help would be greatly appreciated .

I'm not sure about UT3. Getting UT1 (from 1999) working with surround back in the day on a Matrox Parhelia required editing the field of view in a config file. IIRC you had to do the same thing with UT2003 & 2004. Unfortunately I don't quite recall what you have to set it to. I think it was 135 or something like that, up from a default of 90 for UT1.

For GTAIV, try changing aspect ratio in the ingame settings and see if your surround resolution appears. If it doesn't, start the game by adding -norestrictions to the shortcut. :)

, i tried all the resolution settings as well !6:9 / 16:10 4:3 exct no luck., got no restrictions on it at all really.

Hi all. I've been skimming this thread and reading up on eyefinity and nvidia 3d surround.

At first i was going to get a single 30" hp lcd, and use a few 20 - 23" in portrait mode.. just game on the 30" and keep 2 as auxiliary dekstop spaces.

Then I started reading more about triple monitor (landscape mode) gaming, and watching youtube vids on it etc.

I'm leaning toward getting three asus 23" 120hz 3d LCDs. I've seen vids of less demanding games like TF2 and L4D2 running (on three monitors) on a single ati 5850, which I think is somewhere between a gtx460 and gtx470 in performance. I've found a gtx570 that has a display port on it, as well as two DVI outputs and an hdmi. I think the reason most nvidia cards can't drive 3 monitors off one card is that the hdmi port shares one of the dvi lanes. (HDMI is like dvi with sound as most people know). I'd like to be able to buy the single non-reference gtx570 for now, playing simpler games (in nvidia surround on 3 lcds) like TF2 and L4D2, and maybe a few others with some bells and whistles turned down. Later on , I would buy a second gtx570 for sli someday so I could run 3d mode and some more demanding games (at all, or at least with better framerates).

I would like to know what people think of this. From what I understand hardware-wise, the single card with two dvi + a display port should work (it acually has 2x dvi + 1x hdmi but the hdmi is always shared). I'm also considering only buying a single 23" 120hz 3d lcd at first to see how I feel about the 3d tech before, if that goes well, buying two more to round out the triple setup. Currently I'm using a 26" hannspree and a 24" monitor paired with is, so not sure how I'll feel on the 23" layout even aside from 3d. Any opinions on the whole plan would be appreciated, especially regarding single card working for awhile. I know ati can do it but I'd like to go with nvidia for this if possible. thanks in advance

Hi all. I've been skimming this thread and reading up on eyefinity and nvidia 3d surround.

At first i was going to get a single 30" hp lcd, and use a few 20 - 23" in portrait mode.. just game on the 30" and keep 2 as auxiliary dekstop spaces.

Then I started reading more about triple monitor (landscape mode) gaming, and watching youtube vids on it etc.

I'm leaning toward getting three asus 23" 120hz 3d LCDs. I've seen vids of less demanding games like TF2 and L4D2 running (on three monitors) on a single ati 5850, which I think is somewhere between a gtx460 and gtx470 in performance. I've found a gtx570 that has a display port on it, as well as two DVI outputs and an hdmi. I think the reason most nvidia cards can't drive 3 monitors off one card is that the hdmi port shares one of the dvi lanes. (HDMI is like dvi with sound as most people know). I'd like to be able to buy the single non-reference gtx570 for now, playing simpler games (in nvidia surround on 3 lcds) like TF2 and L4D2, and maybe a few others with some bells and whistles turned down. Later on , I would buy a second gtx570 for sli someday so I could run 3d mode and some more demanding games (at all, or at least with better framerates).

I would like to know what people think of this. From what I understand hardware-wise, the single card with two dvi + a display port should work (it acually has 2x dvi + 1x hdmi but the hdmi is always shared). I'm also considering only buying a single 23" 120hz 3d lcd at first to see how I feel about the 3d tech before, if that goes well, buying two more to round out the triple setup. Currently I'm using a 26" hannspree and a 24" monitor paired with is, so not sure how I'll feel on the 23" layout even aside from 3d. Any opinions on the whole plan would be appreciated, especially regarding single card working for awhile. I know ati can do it but I'd like to go with nvidia for this if possible. thanks in advance

You cannot run NVSurround off of one card at all.

Back