No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

So because its on a console its just gonna suck right? because if any game is on a console it automatically sucks?

This. Who cares what it came out on first as long as they don't screw one party or the other? Sounds like it was PC-centric until recently, and also I've heard conjecture that it could be a timed exclusive, but this hasn't been confirmed as far as I know anyway. If it's as good as I'd like, and wasn't coming out for PC for a while, I'd grab a PS4 and play it on that even.

The platform couldn't matter much less as long as it's well done for any platform it exists on.

uh oh, was I making it up that it was a timed exclusive? I wonder why I thought that. I'll take another look at the E3 information but I thought they said something along the lines of "first on PS4", intimating that it would come to other platforms at a later date.

I will be a *very* sad panda if this doesn't arrive on PC at all.

uh oh, was I making it up that it was a timed exclusive? I wonder why I thought that. I'll take another look at the E3 information but I thought they said something along the lines of "first on PS4", intimating that it would come to other platforms at a later date.

I will be a *very* sad panda if this doesn't arrive on PC at all.

So far everything I've seen just says PC and PS4. There could be more platforms for all I know. I just don't remember them saying either way as far as which was first. It could be that I just missed it though. I would also be pretty sad if it didn't come out on PC. (however, so far they've been saying it will) I would pick up a PS4 for it though if it is as good as I hope.

Seconded (thirded?) on sad panda if it isn't on PC. I love the look and the idea of an exploration heavy game is a large universe really gets my attention. Plus; Modding!

But it so needs to be on PC (my 2550x1440 Catleap is waiting)!

So far everything I've seen just says PC and PS4. There could be more platforms for all I know. I just don't remember them saying either way as far as which was first. It could be that I just missed it though. I would also be pretty sad if it didn't come out on PC. (however, so far they've been saying it will) I would pick up a PS4 for it though if it is as good as I hope.

It's coming to PS4/PC/XB1

At E3 they used the words "console debut on PS4".

Still feel that we've hardly seen any of it yet, not a fan of the cartoony graphics either. When is it supposed to be released?

Looks more like an interactive screensaver than a game where you really do anything - i mean shooting things, collecting things, talking to NPC's, whatever - no sign of that here. Once the novelty of going from planetside to space and back wears off I wonder what else there is to do.

Last edited:
No kidding, that was one of the first things I noticed as well. Hopefully it's just because it's in an alpha state. Also, probably because it's on a console and not superior PC hardware. :p

Literally the worst pop in I have ever seen. So hard to watch. Good luck to them with that... and I'm still skeptical of this, I still see no game yet.

What happens when the charm of getting into your spaceship and leaving a planet wears off?

Still annoys me that planets have such a small atmosphere.

Going from space to the surface of a planet should take more then .2 seconds.

For a game called "No mans SKY" They literally have no skies hardly at all because of this.

This also takes away from the huge vistas/vast landscape feeling you could get.

It's just like everything is way too small to have that sense of "wonder" that you shoudl get.

Still feel that we've hardly seen any of it yet, not a fan of the cartoony graphics either. When is it supposed to be released?

What is cartoony about it? is it because it uses more than 3 colors like most gritty, realistic games?

Still annoys me that planets have such a small atmosphere.

Going from space to the surface of a planet should take more then .2 seconds.

For a game called "No mans SKY" They literally have no skies hardly at all because of this.

This also takes away from the huge vistas/vast landscape feeling you could get.

It's just like everything is way too small to have that sense of "wonder" that you shoudl get.

I wonder if people will be able to mod it at all, and have planets of the proper scale. But you also have to realize that not all atmospheres are the same. Look at Mars compared to Earth's, for instance. Hopefully they'll have planets of different atmosphere types, because THAT would be pretty nifty.

Come to think of it, there's already a mod for KSP that does exactly this. What's so exciting about this game again?

x8UkRBv.png

What is cartoony about it? is it because it uses more than 3 colors like most gritty, realistic games?

Is this a joke? All you need to do is look at the textures to see what kind of art style they are going for...it's pretty blatant.

I agree, the color palette has a Borderlands feel to it, without the cell shaded outlines.

Looks more like an interactive screensaver than a game where you really do anything - i mean shooting things, collecting things, talking to NPC's, whatever - no sign of that here. Once the novelty of going from planetside to space and back wears off I wonder what else there is to do.

I would hope for a survival and crafting mode of some sort. Exploration is cool, but would get boring quickly.

And the look is a problem because....

This is the art style they chose. It's their game. If you can't get past it, don't play it I guess?

And the look is a problem because....

This is the art style they chose. It's their game. If you can't get past it, don't play it I guess?

IMO the problem is that a lot of developers are choosing this "art style" lately, when in reality it just feels like laziness. If it adds something to the game, then okay, but if it's just because it's easy, then I'm not cool with that.

IMO the problem is that a lot of developers are choosing this "art style" lately, when in reality it just feels like laziness. If it adds something to the game, then okay, but if it's just because it's easy, then I'm not cool with that.

If that was the true reason, I wouldn't be ok with it either. I don't see that as the issue though. If someone wants realistic textures, they can get them. They're available. Look at all the modders who add new textures to things like The Elder Scrolls games. If a modder can pick up a ton of high res textures anyone can. I think it's actually MORE difficult to create completely new art in whatever style it might be. Moreso than photographic texture libraries anyway. IMO it actually adds to the alien feeling a bit in some ways. (though granted you can do that with realistic imagery too) For me, I think I'm a little more picky with realistic imagery when something isn't quite right. If it's more artistic, I can suspend disbelief a little more easily.

I think this game makes a good contrast to something like Star Citizen, and playing both could provide both styles to a fan of the genre.

If they do it because it's cheaper in terms of art assets and cost, then you can't hold that against them. More realism and special effects costs time and money to implement. If they don't have the financial backing, cuts have to be made. And I doubt any dev worth their weight would admit to being lazy. Maybe they originally wanted to go more of a realistic route, and changed scope. That happens a lot. So long as investors weren't promised one thing and end up with another, like so many other game dev companies.

I just want a release date already dammit.

They said they'll announce a release date soon. I wouldn't expect to see the game this year. It'll probably show up at next year's E3, if not 2017s as well. It's a lot of work for that small studio to do.

i found it odd that he said, this is an unexplored planet, and that was never visited before but it magically had massive robot overlord protectors and then he did a scan that showed no life and then 2 seconds later he is swarmed by fish and you see other animals roaming around.

Still not convinced about this...is it going to be an MMO or what?

No...Sorta...Maybe? You're exploring by yourself but other people are also exploring parts of the galaxy. Though you probably will never run into other players...Yet everyone is trying to get to the center. Honestly I have no fucking clue what the game even is.

i found it odd that he said, this is an unexplored planet, and that was never visited before but it magically had massive robot overlord protectors and then he did a scan that showed no life and then 2 seconds later he is swarmed by fish and you see other animals roaming around.

Never visited by a player before. I'm also guessing that the scan for life has a very limited range.

what about those protector robots? do they just follow players around to get in the way? he literally just got to the planet and they were there to make sure he didnt ruin the world.

what about those protector robots? do they just follow players around to get in the way? he literally just got to the planet and they were there to make sure he didnt ruin the world.

He said something about them protecting planets from explorers like him so maybe they're on every planet or at least in the system and appear when you blow up shit on the planet?

So he said a few things:

1) They modified the game for the presentation so that all worlds would have a beacon on it. They wanted to show the beacon so they made sure there would be one there.

2) It was at least alluded to that the robots are on every planet.

Back