No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

this game sounds like it's trying to be a combination Star Citizen meets Mass Effect meets Elite Dangerous but doesn't expand upon what makes each of those titles good

Here's a good tag line...

No Mans Sky...

RNGesus; Re-Defined. :)

Doesn't feel like a $60 title to me...would really need to see some actual gameplay beyond just walking around, expansion on the trading/building/upgrade systems, etc.

It is SP only.

Are you sure? There was a LOT of talk a few months back about the likelihood of meeting up with other people in game in which the conclusion was that you'd run into others but sparingly due to the vast size of the game.

Are you sure? There was a LOT of talk a few months back about the likelihood of meeting up with other people in game in which the conclusion was that you'd run into others but sparingly due to the vast size of the game.

"By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky (that's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000--or 18 billion billion). The game’s world is actually a shared universe, with players connected online, much like how it works in Destiny or World of Warcraft. But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

There is also trading. And there is alien that can give you stuff.

There is also resources gathering.

You can also buy ships.

And finally it's suppose to be multiplayer so we could see other players around?

The problem with the multiplayer is that the universe is so huge, the odds of you ever seeing anyone else are slim to none. The only way they could change this is if they create a few hub worlds that people can congregate to.

this game sounds like it's trying to be a combination Star Citizen meets Mass Effect meets Elite Dangerous but doesn't expand upon what makes each of those titles good

So what exactly makes Star Citizen good at this point? That's the most puzzling. I don't see this title competing in the same "space" whatsoever with any of those aformentioned titles.

I really feel like the whole "the odds mean you'd never run into another player" thing is just an attempt to lessen the blow of the game not having any form of multiplayer. I mean even with the size of the universe, couldn't two players ostensibly talk to each other outside of the game and coordinate? Of course some of this depends on where in the universe each player starts, but given that the ship designs are all the same and such, I don't see how that would make any sort of sense from a story point of view.

I really feel like the whole "the odds mean you'd never run into another player" thing is just an attempt to lessen the blow of the game not having any form of multiplayer. I mean even with the size of the universe, couldn't two players ostensibly talk to each other outside of the game and coordinate? Of course some of this depends on where in the universe each player starts, but given that the ship designs are all the same and such, I don't see how that would make any sort of sense from a story point of view.

It's a let down. The game was suppose to be mp, I remember like if it was yesterday. But I had the same questions back when it was announced or when it was getting popular: How could we find other players that are not on friend list.

With the way the game seems to handle procedural generation I wonder if it would even be possible to intentionally organize a meetup between multiple players. Maybe as you get closer to the center of the universe.

With the way the game seems to handle procedural generation I wonder if it would even be possible to intentionally organize a meetup between multiple players. Maybe as you get closer to the center of the universe.

If I remember well, they said each planet was to be created one time on the network.

I'm calling it now...this game will be the biggest bait & switch of 2016 and will go down in history as a joke.

I'm calling it now...this game will be the biggest bait & switch of 2016 and will go down in history as a joke.

I don't see it as a bait-and-switch...they seem to be showing real gameplay and describing the game truthfully...but honestly it sounds extremely boring to me...not to mention the average at best graphics...I guess this will appeal to people who just like to explore with no real objective (besides reaching the center of the universe)...I can see this being fun for the first dozen or so planets but based on what the developers are saying about how long it'll take to reach the center it sounds like you're going to have to explore hundreds of boring, lifeless planets to get there...and even if you reach the center so what?...do you get some type of miracle/legendary reward that made all those hours of tedious exploring worth it?

it's hundreds of hours of Mass Effect 1 Mako exploration minus the combat

I'm keeping my mind open at this point, but I fear you are correct. It's been a ton of marketing fluff with almost zero shown of core gameplay outside of a few brief exploration and combat examples. Games like this thrive on content, i.e. things to unlock and progression. Maybe they've hidden away some huge amount of things to do just to be a surprise on launch, but I've not seen anything to make me confident in that.

Just going off of all the information we have right now, the game will be a mile wide and an inch deep.

My instincts on it tell me to come at it with extreme caution. I'm not quite ready to throw down at the level you're at... maybe because of wishful thinking as opposed to anything else.

I don't see it as a bait-and-switch...they seem to be showing real gameplay and describing the game truthfully...but honestly it sounds extremely boring to me...not to mention the average at best graphics...

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. I don't think there's any deception going on but from what I've seen in videos it doesn't look all that interesting. Maybe as a $20 title down the road.

10 quintillion stars and you'll be bored by the 50th planet you find, I guarantee it.

10 quintillion stars and you'll be bored by the 50th planet you find, I guarantee it.

I'm really hoping they have yet to show us some of the more cool stuff you can find... if its pretty much "find a different colour of grass" then I'm out.

I'm really hoping they have yet to show us some of the more cool stuff you can find... if its pretty much "find a different colour of grass" then I'm out.

I had a lot of interest in this game until I realized the devs only show the same damn thing about the game. Exploring.

Exploring is cool and all but what about being able to create our own civilization on our planets? The depth of this is a lot to ask for, but jesus, why make 10 quintillion accessible locations and only have a handful of things to do with them?
Seems way too big for the amount of stuff that the player can do with it.

"Awful waste of space" -Contact

I would not describe this game as having depth, more like 'breadth', Lots of space to do nothing.

Calling it now - players will name shit like they were Andrew Dice Clay lol.

Just about EVERYTING I find will have incredibly British sounding names, with pompous prefixes.

"The Right Honourable Bweeblefish of Stockington Cobblesworth"

Oh yes... Now I want the game...

You can name stuff wacky things...that no one but you will ever see. Fantastic.

Still very interested, and thanks!

This game is going to be amazing, or tediously broad but shallow. But I am still hopeful and excited.

I wonder if it'll be designed in such a way that, while the core of the game is exploring, there are enough interesting things to find to make the game worth playing.

For instance, imagine a Mass Effect game where you play as one of the first spacefaring civilizations after a Reaper cycle. There aren't a whole lot of people to talk to, but there's tons of evidence that the galaxy was once teeming with life, that ended abruptly just a few millennia ago.
Part of the game could conceivably revolving around unlocking the mystery of who the precursor people were, and what happened to them.

I could maybe see the devs wanting to keep something like this under wraps, for the sake of not spoiling it, hence the details about what there is to find by exploring being pretty vague.

The devs did say that the closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the more strange and dangerous things will be. So looking at all of the videos that are out for this game.... that's where everybody starts out. I look forward to discovering new things and seeing what other people have found as we all get closer to the center.

SP - it can be played online or offline and your discoveries can be uploaded to the 'ATLAS' central servers to be shared when you're back online.

New videos out few weeks back so have a look.

I want to buy a 4k screen and hold me over GPU setup (assuming 290x can't handle it) for this game. The art is derived from my favourite sci-fi art books and the feel/story/approach is something I've dreamed of since a kid.
It's a unique game in it's own right and will change the future of gaming and art direction and game creation.

Edit: as you approach the centre your chances of seeing another player increase. We don't know what they look like, only that you'll be pretty sure it's a player when you see them up close. Other than that, they could fly past and you'd never know. You may even stumble upon discoveries by them and find a 'trail of breadcrumbs' in this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What? Single Player just boosted my stock buy in for the game. One of the major reasons I rock the hell out of Fallout/Elder Scrolls games.. no other dumbass walnuts messing up my free time.

Same here. Huge plus in my book.

I with the others. I expect this to be fun for about the first 50 planets then it becomes tedious and monotonous.

Personally I am interested in the game. I agree with most of the assessments though of what they showed. It will get boring if what they showed is all there is. There needs to be something else to glue the experience together. Just getting to the center isn't going to be enough. We would also need to know why we want to go there. Regardless, I am buying it even though I am a bit worried about the tedium it might have mainly because it's one of the first major full price title not made by CDPR that will be available at launch at GoG. I will show some support to the dev for having the balls to put the game out DRM-Free on GoG at launch with hopes many more devs will do the same. I have a love it and hate it at the same time relationship with Steam. :)

Back