No Booting To Desktop In Windows 8?

That's fine that you like it, but I (and many many others) disagree completely. The ribbon interface is a small step above useless.

99% of the applications, utilities and other software that I use in Windows, doesn't use the ribbon interface. So having to use everything in a productive way (like I've been doing for the past 3 decades) and then suddenly having to search through that rediculous interface for something that would of taken me seconds with any other piece of windows software (both first and third party), is a major pain in the ass. It honestly turned me from a huge MS Office advocate (I loved Office2003) to using 3rd party office solutions for friends (and went back to 03 at home)

I'm glad that some people like it, but I hear complaints about it way more often than not. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm forced to use it at work, I'd of abandoned MS Office completely.

Eh I wouldn't use the "suddenly" bit seeing how you're still considering yourself inept with 2007/2010 six years later. You only need a week or two to get used to the interface. Just as you had to get used to 95/XP/2000/2003 coming from WordPerfect and Lotus 123.

pretty sure the main point was to differentiate it from Office 2003

which begs the question: why are people still whining about a feature change from 6 years ago?
It was done to help users be a little more efficient when using Office. Whether or not MS acheived this goal is up for debate.

Eh I wouldn't use the "suddenly" bit seeing how you're still considering yourself inept with 2007/2010 six years later. You only need a week or two to get used to the interface. Just as you had to get used to 95/XP/2000/2003 coming from WordPerfect and Lotus 123.

I've been using it for the past 2 years and it's still just as frustrating today as the day it was installed on my workstation.

I'm not a heavy office user my any means, so I'm sure it's part of it. My main gripe is that when every piece of software that I use, uses the traditional menu bar... and then I'm forced to go in and use the ribbon, I can help but get annoyed that MS made it all or nothing. It's not an intuitive UI by any means (IMO)

The thing is though that everyone else already has a separate OS approach. The thing is though that no matter what complaints there are about the "pure" desktop the truth is that the pure desktop is simply not a growing area. The true strength of Windows 8 is it's hybrid design and while it may be a harder sell with keyboard and mice only folks, for mobile and tablet users there's a lot of strengths. I do agree that the adoption of Windows 8 tablet and touch devices is critical for the success of Windows 8. That's really when Windows 8 makes a LOT of sense especially when one moves from using the same device as tablet and laptop/desktop.

There is really no need for a separate OS approach, just let people that upgrade or freshly install choose the interface they want to use the most, and allow them to switch between the two. The only problem I have with Windows 8 is being forced into the 'used to be known as Metro' UI, let me choose, and I'll be one of the first to upgrade to it.

Also, I have to say, even though Splashtop offers a Windows 8-specific app for iPad and Android tablets, the standard Splashtop2 Streamer app works really well on my Win 8 VM... If I could access the actual bootloader on my iPad 2,4, and compile drivers for the hardware, I'd slap Windows 8 on this thing.

Just going to throw this out there, but I just set up a windows 8 VM at work.
We have a IE splash screen when you first log in, that brings me to the desktop, and not the metro interface.

Granted when I close the window the comp locks up until I hit the Windows button to take me to the Metro UI.

Just a though that that could circumvent the Metro UI.

Normally if you hit the Win key it will take you to the Start screen and if you tap Win again it goes right back to the last screen you were on (app, desktop, etc.) so if you double tap Win it might go right back, unless that frozen screen thing fudged that too...and if the Win key plays nice with that VM of course.

There is really no need for a separate OS approach, just let people that upgrade or freshly install choose the interface they want to use the most, and allow them to switch between the two. The only problem I have with Windows 8 is being forced into the 'used to be known as Metro' UI, let me choose, and I'll be one of the first to upgrade to it.

While keeping the old UI would appease some it would simply slow down the transition of Windows to tablets and the development of Metro apps as well as create complexity. People are looking at it as "desktop mode" or "table mode" and there's no concept of that in Windows 8. Desktop apps can be use from a touch tablet and Metro apps can be used from a keyboard and mouse desktop. It's up to the user to use whichever apps they want and when.

Half of the people in these threads haven't used Windows 8. "Rabble, rabble, where's my start button?!"

Metro isn't that bad. Learn how to use the Windows key, people. :rolleyes:

Windows Key + D.

While keeping the old UI would appease some it would simply slow down the transition of Windows to tablets and the development of Metro apps as well as create complexity.

Not users problem. If Microsoft wants to force users to tablets from a standard laptop/desktop, then it should make tablets more appealing, not cripple laptops/desktops. The "complexity" is minor, and if a developer is too stupid to deal with that, then they are too stupid to be developing.

Not users problem. If Microsoft wants to force users to tablets from a standard laptop/desktop, then it should make tablets more appealing, not cripple laptops/desktops. The "complexity" is minor, and if a developer is too stupid to deal with that, then they are too stupid to be developing.

Cripple? Hardly. :eek:

I have to agree with the poster above me. Been running Windows 8 for a while now, and I don't feel "crippled" in any way. All the software I ran on 7 runs exactly the same way on 8...

Frankly, I'm offended to hear so many people compare "Metro" (Windows 8 style UI, Modern UI, or whatever they're calling it now) to Windows 3.1. In Windows 3.1, you could tile AND cascade. You could tile things however you wanted. You could tile more than two programs on the screen, and they could share or split the screen space. You could maximize AND run windowed (minimize and resize). If you weren't actively using a program, it didn't close itself to save memory, and this was on systems MUCH more resource constrained than tablets are.

On the other hand, I LOVE the Desktop app that comes with Windows 8. It's so much more capable than the shell or Windows Runtime that it runs on or next to. If Microsoft could make a whole Operating System based entirely on the Desktop app and not on Metro or the Modern UI, I would buy it. On the Desktop app, you can do amazing things like arrange other programs however you want. You aren't limited to a 70/30 screen split. You can run simple programs all the way up to really complex programs. You can run all the programs you want and not have to worry about them being suspended or closed. You wouldn't believe how many programs can run in the background. It affords the programmer much more flexibility. They can make programs that quit on close or that merely run in the background when closed.

I bet they could build a market dominating operating system based on the principles of the Desktop app!

Holy shit on a shingle. Nobody gives a shit what YOU do with your experience - stop trying force your ideals down people throats. Your self-fulfilling prophecy isn't going to coincide with everyones opinions on Win8. You already addressed a shit load of different individuals with how you feel the experience is right for YOU. ffs, do you really feel the need to address everyone over and over and over and over and over and over and over again? with the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame tired ass arguments? Do you have M$ stock? are you a Microsoft employee/representative? Is the Micro$haft stuck in your dookey chute? It has to be one of those.

Seriously, even when it's clear Microsoft is fucking it's users in the ass you STILL insist of backing them up. You're the ONLY windows user on this forum with this much persistence and repetitiveness. People talk shit about Linux all the fucking time, as much as I love it - i don't even bother hoping on everyones dick like I'm protecting a child.

Learn to let opinions, be opinions.

Thank you! It's about freaking time someone told heatlesssun and his opinions to STFU and GTFO.
Seriously heatlesssun, you're like a damn broken record that won't quit.

We get it already, you looooove M$.
Please, do us all a favor and get over yourself.

At least Apple has the decency to still give their end-users a desktop/laptop OS designed for mice and keyboards, and a separate OS designed for touch and portable devices; with both being a master in their respective fields of use and operations.
Also, you may not like Linux, but at least, as long as the end-user has the knowledge, can mold nearly any Linux distro to their hardware, form-factor, processor architecture, and custom needs.

What does Microshit do? They give... no, force an OS on their loyal end-users with functions that no one seems to want, while taking away any and all options of changing or altering those functions, and taking away functions that some of us do still want or need; not to mention, an OS that is a jack of all form-factors, while being a master of none.

I have to say, Apple's OSes aren't that bad, and Linux distros will never constrict end-users so horribly.
Holy colostomy bag on a pogo stick, I never thought I would see the day when I would side with, and have more respect for Apple, than Microsoft.

Hell has officially frozen over.

and that's why Windows 8 is going to fail. They couldn't make a Desktop OS very usable on a tablet, so I don't know why they think they're going to make a Tablet OS usable on a desktop. It's not going to work.

Honestly, they should of taken the same approach as Apple. Release a dedicated mobile OS and a dedicated PC/Desktop OS and blend them together for a seamless experience. Instead, they're shoehorning things and it's going to piss their customers off.

Absolutely, 100% agree.
It makes no sense to have a single OS be half-ass on the desktop and portable systems.

Microsoft should have made Win 8 completely for portable systems, and released a SP for Win 7 to include functions of 8 to help them overlap for full functionality, you know, kind of like Apple did with OS X 10.8 and iOS 5.

Microsoft is trying to be like Apple, but they are really failing at it hardcore.

What does Microshit do? They give... no, force an OS on their loyal end-users...

I just came by to confirm this is true. Yesterday, Microsoft employees came to my apartment, used a ram to knock down the door, and held me a gunpoint while they installed Windows 8 on my computers. (Including the thin client and 766 MHz Celeron laptop which required custom-designed motherboards and other associated upgrades that they added free of charge during the install process. :eek:) After they hit me a few times with a 4 GB USB drive, they told me that they'd be watching me to see if I installed any other operating system and would come by to force another upgrade to the retail version in October when it goes on sale to the public. Though they did say it was okay to use BeOS if I wanted, which struck me as sort of strange. I called the police, the FBI, the CIA, the USDA, the FDA, and a few random forgien embassies, but they all just sorta nodded knowingly and mumbled something incoherent about a BeBox and Blinkenlights.

This is quite a funny thread.
MS supporters repeating the same things over and over and the MS haters doing the same and yet telling the MS fans to drop it already, lol.
You people crack me up sometimes with these silly rants and arguments :D.

Thank you! It's about freaking time someone told heatlesssun and his opinions to STFU and GTFO.
Seriously heatlesssun, you're like a damn broken record that won't quit.

We get it already, you looooove M$.
Please, do us all a favor and get over yourself.

I've just installed Windows 8 on my 7th device. You're a Linux god right? I don't use Linux daily and if I were to go into a Linux thread, not being an experienced Linux user and told people to STFU and GTFO, you'd be the first to point out my inexperience.

You don't like Windows 8, fine. You don't use Windows 8, certainly not long term, fine. I've been using is daily on no less than two machines natively for 11 months now. Why would you tell a person that's used something far more extensively than you have to STFU and GTFO in a thread about that product?

Everyone gets that you hate Microsoft and don't use Windows 8, that's a broken record as well.;)

This is quite a funny thread.
MS supporters repeating the same things over and over and the MS haters doing the same and yet telling the MS fans to drop it already, lol.
You people crack me up sometimes with these silly rants and arguments :D.

Your point is valid. However it is difficult to actually discuss the true nature of Windows 8 with so many personal attacks on those who use it and have a good understanding of it.

At least Apple has the decency to still give their end-users a desktop/laptop OS designed for mice and keyboards, and a separate OS designed for touch and portable devices; with both being a master in their respective fields of use and operations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't OS X and iOS both based on Mach/FreeBSD/DriverKit (XNU/Darwin)? Before Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, Windows 7 was based on a different OS, Windows NT-based, than Windows Phone, Windows Mobile - a real-time OS. I can understand this part of Microsoft's push to unify under the "Windows Everywhere" (wait, so Windows 8 is not Windows ME but Windows WE? Would Nintendo sue?) philosophy. They don't want to develop and maintain two separate operating systems that they want to sync and communicate together.

If I accept this, it is not a stretch to think that Microsoft would also not want to maintain and support two different UXs and APIs as well. However, that seems to be exactly what they're doing with Windows 8. You have the Desktop UX and Win32 and the Modern UI/Windows 8 style UI and Windows Runtime. It is like they realized traditional Windows did not serve tablets and phones well and the Metro/Modern UI/Windows 8 style UI didn't serve the needs served by traditional Windows, the needs of desktops and non-touch laptops. They unified these two approaches mainly by tossing the Start Menu for the Start Screen in the name of progress and modernization. They added keyboard and mouse functionality to Modern UI/Metro/Windows 8 style UI.

It sounds like some would have liked Microsoft to handle it the way they handled "Tablet PC Components" in Windows 7, make it an option you can disable under Control Panel - Programs - Turn Windows features on or off, or similar to running Linux and choosing your Windows Manager. Conceivably, couldn't they have treated it like they currently treat console progams? You don't have to go back to the full screen, non-windowable DOS era interface simply to run a console program. Could they have allowed the desktop a "metrohost.exe" like "conhost.exe"?

The comparison is made to the ribbon in Office 2007 and Office 2010, but in those cases, Microsoft did not create a metaphorical Office Screen that unified Office 2003 style menus and icons to the ribbon. Outlook 2007 was one of the few places the Office 2003 style existed alongside the ribbon, and that went away with Office 2010. Even the Options view in Office 2003 was replaced with the backstage view in Office 2007/2010. Did Microsoft admit defeat in creating a single, unified UI and UX with Windows 8? It doesn't seem like One Microsoft Way but two Microsoft ways in Windows 8 (maybe 1.75 Microsoft ways).

Half of the people in these threads haven't used Windows 8. "Rabble, rabble, where's my start button?!"

Metro isn't that bad. Learn how to use the Windows key, people. :rolleyes:

Windows Key + D.

Just one more pointless step in getting to the desktop.

MS may be doing this in part because the makers of productivity software tend to focus on professionals. Most professionals are going to be using laptops and PCs for creation. People that cater to professionals will have little reason to make something Metro friendly unless the professionals are forced to use Metro on that new PC they buy a few months from now.

Microsoft is trying to be like Apple, but they are really failing at it hardcore.

Microsoft just isn't good at reinventing itself.

Bing failed to chip away at Google. Windows Phone 7 failed to gain traction against iOS and Android. Now, Windows 8 will do as much damage to the desktop market as Vista did, if not more. Oh yeah, Steve Ballmer is on a roll! :rolleyes:

To a certain extent, it's irrelevant if Windows 8 actually isn't as bad as the hype says it is. The hype itself will keep users on Windows 7 (most likely) or make them move to Mac or Linux.

• Same reason they dumped the Win3.1 - Win XP File Manager/Windows Explorer interface.
  • Same reason they dumped the Office 97-2003 interface for the Ribbon.
  • Same reason they dumped the Win9X classic start menu option in Windows 7.
  • Same reason they dumped the quick launch in Windows 7.
  • Same reason they started hiding infrequently used menu options.
Grandma's money.

Microsoft has been dumbing their programs down and making them less efficient so Grandma is able to use them. They are also putting lipstick on a pig so all the other morons will buy them.

• Grandma doesn't know how to make folders so they made them for her and opened the explorer interface right to them.
  • Grandma can't remember what program she used last so they made a list for her and put all her programs on the toolbar.
  • Grandma can't find her programs in a list of static options so they showed only the ones Grandma was using.
Now Grandma doesn't have to do any of that! She can use her tablet computer to click on ginormous, high contrast icons sorted for her and her senile brain can use the same familiar interface on her phone. Isn't it perfect?

Vote with your wallet.

I've just installed Windows 8 on my 7th device. You're a Linux god right? I don't use Linux daily and if I were to go into a Linux thread, not being an experienced Linux user and told people to STFU and GTFO, you'd be the first to point out my inexperience.

You don't like Windows 8, fine. You don't use Windows 8, certainly not long term, fine. I've been using is daily on no less than two machines natively for 11 months now. Why would you tell a person that's used something far more extensively than you have to STFU and GTFO in a thread about that product?

Everyone gets that you hate Microsoft and don't use Windows 8, that's a broken record as well.;)

I have used it, and it sucks on the desktop. Whatever, it's your opinion and you have a right to it.
But damn, when it is obvious that the Microsoft end-user fan-base is telling them "just give us the option to do either-or" and then Microsoft just takes it completely away, that should be enough to tell you that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about its end-users, or what they really want, even when the thought/idea is coming from 100% of them.

What's the point of having a RC? So that people can 'test' it and give Microsoft free PR?
It certainly isn't to allow end-users to find out what they like and don't like, then go from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't OS X and iOS both based on Mach/FreeBSD/DriverKit (XNU/Darwin)? Before Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, Windows 7 was based on a different OS, Windows NT-based, than Windows Phone, Windows Mobile - a real-time OS. I can understand this part of Microsoft's push to unify under the "Windows Everywhere" (wait, so Windows 8 is not Windows ME but Windows WE? Would Nintendo sue?) philosophy. They don't want to develop and maintain two separate operating systems that they want to sync and communicate together.
You are correct on the first part.
However, Apple did things right by building and designing an OS for the desktop/laptop, and an OS for portable devices.

They did not build an OS that just half-asses on both and really isn't that good at either.
That should show you how flexible UNIX OSes are compared to Windows in terms of back-end functionality and design.

And when you get to the desktop what are you going to do nearly all of the time? Launch a program.
That's not the point, the point is that Microsoft forced this on their end-users.
Why not give them a choice to go to either or? Why does it just have to be one or the other?

Also, not a true shutdown? Keeping things in memory via hibernation... yeah, that isn't a huge-ass security risk and I'm sure Win 8 will be deployed by IT departments around the world, just for that feature. :rolleyes:
Once again, why does M$ force this on their end-users, why not give them a choice for a full shutdown.

Is your OS so slow/bloated/inefficient that you have to retain everything in memory in order to boot at speeds close to other portable Linux/UNIX OSes?
Lame.

What the hell, Microsoft.
As if your OS wasn't already enough of security risk.

• Same reason they dumped the Win3.1 - Win XP File Manager/Windows Explorer interface.
  • Same reason they dumped the Office 97-2003 interface for the Ribbon.
  • Same reason they dumped the Win9X classic start menu option in Windows 7.
  • Same reason they dumped the quick launch in Windows 7.
  • Same reason they started hiding infrequently used menu options.
Grandma's money.

Microsoft has been dumbing their programs down and making them less efficient so Grandma is able to use them. They are also putting lipstick on a pig so all the other morons will buy them.

• Grandma doesn't know how to make folders so they made them for her and opened the explorer interface right to them.
  • Grandma can't remember what program she used last so they made a list for her and put all her programs on the toolbar.
  • Grandma can't find her programs in a list of static options so they showed only the ones Grandma was using.
Now Grandma doesn't have to do any of that! She can use her tablet computer to click on ginormous, high contrast icons sorted for her and her senile brain can use the same familiar interface on her phone. Isn't it perfect?

Vote with your wallet.

Yes, because, according to Microsoft, all of their end-users are grandma.
You know, at least the CLI portion of OS X is very powerful and can be used to edit back-end functions that have been well hidden.

CLI in Windows? It's horribly dated, not very functional, has extremely limited use, and still requires a GUI even in CLI-only mode; in other words, it's a fucking joke.

I hate to keep bringing up UNIX and Linux references for Microsoft's failings, as it does sound repeated and contrived, but damn it, Linux and UNIX distro makers, especially Apple, are doing things right.
Microsoft? They fail at everything, won't learn from their mistakes, won't listen to their 'loyal' end-users let alone any normal/average end-users, and they won't take any ideas or functions that actually work from other OSes and adapt it to their needs.

Microsoft, you fail.

it's refreshing to see some good ole MS hate around here :D

You know, I don't enjoy hating them or their tactics.
I would honestly like Microsoft to release another great OS like Win 7, but they just keep making the same dumbass mistakes again and again and again.

Why they wouldn't take Win 7 and make it even better, I have no idea.
It was the last Windows OS I had respect for and actually liked since 2000 Pro.

I don't use Linux daily and if I were to go into a Linux thread, not being an experienced Linux user and told people to STFU and GTFO, you'd be the first to point out my inexperience.
heatlesssun, I've been using Windows in-depth since 3.x, and I do know my shit when it comes to Windows, more so than I would personally like.
I'm not saying this to insult or impress you, I'm pointing out that you need more than one OS type/brand/architecture to compare against when making arguments about how a new OS will fail or succeed and what its strengths and weaknesses are.

I suggest you start learning a little more about Linux and UNIX OSes, then compare their back-end and front-end functionality and efficiency to that of Windows', then you might start to see where I and other *NIX users are coming from.
Your arguments are completely one-sided and, while I do respect the fact that you admitted you are not well versed in Linux or UNIX, you leave little to compare your arguments to other than other versions of Windows, which only goes so far.

CLI in Windows? It's horribly dated, not very functional, has extremely limited use, and still requires a GUI even in CLI-only mode; in other words, it's a fucking joke.
This statement is just factually wrong. What about Windows PowerShell, released 2006?

I'm not claiming this was Microsoft's idea. It seems to me clearly lifted from Unix-like operating systems, but it does exist and is powerful. In Microsoft server products, many of the things done in GUI are done in PowerShell, if not translatable to PowerShell, and if you want to do some advanced things in Exchange, your only choice is PowerShell. Before PowerShell, Microsoft was trying to use Windows Scripting Host and VBScript to do the same thing, with limited success.

This statement is just factually wrong. What about Windows PowerShell, released 2006?

I'm not claiming this was Microsoft's idea. It seems to me clearly lifted from Unix-like operating systems, but it does exist and is powerful. In Microsoft server products, many of the things done in GUI are done in PowerShell, if not translatable to PowerShell, and if you want to do some advanced things in Exchange, your only choice is PowerShell. Before PowerShell, Microsoft was trying to use Windows Scripting Host and VBScript to do the same thing, with limited success.

Yeah, Powershell, with its CMDLETs, yeah, it's not much of an improvement.
Maybe for script execution, but still, it's just bloated and it isn't nearly as efficient as UNIX, and not even close to Linux, CLI.

Here's an example of how to see a list of drives and how much is in use on each partition:

Windows Powershell:
Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk -filter “DriveType=3″ -computer (Get-Content c:\scripts\computers.txt) | Select SystemName,DeviceID,VolumeName,@{Name=”size(GB)”;Expression={“{0:N1}” -f($_.size/1gb)}},@{Name=”freespace(GB)”;Expression={“{0:N1}” -f($_.freespace/1gb)}} | Out-GridView

Linux CLI or Terminal:
df -h

I can tell you which one I would rather use. :rolleyes:
Linux/UNIX CLI ftw.

CLI in Windows? It's horribly dated, not very functional, has extremely limited use
...are you using the legacy command prompt or something?

Windows has had PowerShell built-in since Vista. PowerShell is the true command-line interface for Windows going forward.

Here's an example of how to see a list of drives and how much is in use on each partition:

Windows Powershell:
Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk -filter “DriveType=3″ -computer (Get-Content c:\scripts\computers.txt) | Select SystemName,DeviceID,VolumeName,@{Name=”size(GB)”;Expression={“{0:N1}” -f($_.size/1gb)}},@{Name=”freespace(GB)”;Expression={“{0:N1}” -f($_.freespace/1gb)}} | Out-GridView

Linux CLI or Terminal:
df -h

I can tell you which one I would rather use. :rolleyes:
Linux/UNIX CLI ftw.
You do realize you can make that into a function and then simply call it with "df" in PowerShell as well, right?

You do realize you can make that into a function and then simply call it with "df" in PowerShell as well, right?

Why would I do that and go through all that trouble when it already exists in Linux, not to mention all of the existing, additional tags for df? :confused:

...are you using the legacy command prompt or something?

Windows has had PowerShell built-in since Vista. PowerShell is the true command-line interface for Windows going forward.
Maybe you should read the post right above yours when I specifically talk about PowerShell, captain obvious. :rolleyes:

Why would I do that and go through all that trouble when it already exists in Linux, not to mention all of the existing, additional tags for df? :confused:
PowerShell works on slightly different principals than the Linux CLI... PowerShell allows you to script fairly complex things, then save them as a single function for later use. That's the beauty of it.

Why would I want to use Linux, where the df command is fixed and rigid? I can modify the inner workings that make up my PowerShell df command as much as I want :)

Maybe you should read the post right above yours when I specifically talk about PowerShell, captain obvious. :rolleyes:
No need to be that way. This forum has no edit, I quoted you much farther up without knowing you had posted anything further on the subject. I went ahead and responded to your most recent post as well.

PowerShell works on slightly different principals than the Linux CLI... PowerShell allows you to script fairly complex things, then save them as a single function for later use. That's the beauty of it.

Why would I want to use Linux, where the df command is fixed and rigid? I can modify the inner workings that make up my PowerShell df command as much as I want :)

You can do the same thing in Linux.
Linux is one of the most flexible OSes I've ever seen.

As I've stated before, if one has the knowledge, they can mold Linux to whatever hardware and software they want.
You can't really do that in Windows, unfortunately.

No need to be that way. This forum has no edit, I quoted you much farther up without knowing you had posted anything further on the subject. I went ahead and responded to your most recent post as well.
He could have posted again saying "whoops, didn't see that" or something.
Perhaps it was a mistake, not a big deal, but there are a lot of posters on here who do make comments like that, knowingly that the issue has been addressed.
So sue me. :p

The df command is free software. You can edit the source to your heart's content.

Just what do you want to edit the df command for, though? It's a very basic command, and there wouldn't be much to edit, other than the layout, which you could do by piping the output of df through sed and/or awk.

The df command is free software. You can edit the source to your heart's content.
I really can't call "edit the source code of a compiled executable" equivalent to editing the scripting that makes up a PowerShell function.

I personally would much rather work with editable PowerShell functions + scripts + aliases than edit source code, in this instance.

As I've stated before, if one has the knowledge, they can mold Linux to whatever hardware and software they want.
You can't really do that in Windows, unfortunately.
See, thing is, I like how Windows is out of the box...

If I were to seriously pick up Linux as my daily-driver OS, I'd end up spending a lot of time trying to make it act the way I like... which for me, means making it act like Windows 99% of the time.

I have, so far, been unable to find a way to do this effectively enough to even consider switching as a distant possibility. Nobody else seems to have managed to do it either, judging from all the distros I've tried.

I really can't call "edit the source code of a compiled executable" equivalent to editing the scripting that makes up a PowerShell function.

I personally would much rather work with editable PowerShell functions + scripts + aliases than edit source code, in this instance.
just to point out to you that the linux shell is actually most often "Bash" and has more powerful scripting capabilities than powershell without any editing of source

you can also just drop things in .bashrc to change functionality of things, like df, without editing whatsoever

here's a tutorial for making a script to create pdf's from the command line ("makepdf")
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17083.html

just to point out to you that the linux shell is actually most often "Bash" and has more powerful scripting capabilities than powershell without any editing of source
Can you define and quantify "more powerful"?

I've used PowerShell a lot, and I have yet to find something I can't make it do. I'm curious what exactly Bash would do for me that PowerShell doesn't.

here's a msdn blog post from the powershell team linking to a linux magazine comparison of powershell to bash
Marcus Nasarek did a nice comparison of Bash vs PowerShell in Linux magazine HERE. It is only 2 pages but he covers the key elements and has been very fair to it. I appreciate the fact that he took the time to clearly understand PowerShell. In the past, a number of people in the Linux community have assumed they knew what we were doing and did comparisons based upon their assumptions. Those weren't very interesting.

Enjoy!

Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2008/07/08/bash-vs-powershell.aspx

Back