i have day 0 model what's the difference?

Screen is 1 inch larger. Screen is OLED.
Bigger battery.
Better speakers.
Metal Joycons.
More metal in the frame of the Switch body.
Better kickstand.
Oh yeah, 3 more things:

The dock is metal
The dock has ethernet built-in

The dock also has updated HDMI spec, which could theoretically support 4K/60 output. But, I don't think Nintendo actually made any OS/software updates, for 4k output. Like not even the home screen.

I couldn't care less about the screen. Never used it in portable mode. I rather have a more powerful stand alone system but at this point Nintendo is not getting anymore of my money.
I'm in the same boat, I've had my switch for years and think I've used it in portable mode for maybe 10 hours total (was really into mario rabbids and used it while bbqing lol). I really hope for their next system they offer a docked only version with no screen.

I've played my switch in portable mode for about 50 hours just this past week. 🤷‍♂️
Theatrhythm is just a perfect portable game.

I've played my switch in portable mode for about 50 hours just this past week. 🤷‍♂️
Theatrhythm is just a perfect portable game.
Wait, when did Theatrhythm come out on Switch? That was my favorite game for the 3DS. I might actually have a reason to turn my Switch on.

Are you referring to newer switches? Because I have an old switch still using RCM 🤷‍♂️

RCM only applies to launch Switches. There was a 2nd version of the OG switch with a patch and a slightly different battery (came in a red box) and then obviously the OLED Switch. The 2nd OG switch and the OLED are not RCM-able.

Oh yeah, 3 more things:

The dock is metal
The dock has ethernet built-in

The dock also has updated HDMI spec, which could theoretically support 4K/60 output. But, I don't think Nintendo actually made any OS/software updates, for 4k output. Like not even the home screen.

I almost never play undocked but I’ve resisted several times only because of the ethernet in the dock.

A Tears of the Kingdom edition of the Switch OLED was revealed during the 10-minute gameplay demonstration. It will release on April 28 for $360 (same price as the Pokémon Scarlet & Violet edition), alongside other accessories. This one is pretty sexy.

1680092467614.png

1680092520249.png

No new rumors of a switch 2 that I've seen... Thinking of picking up a switch for Super Mario RPG remake, Breath of the Wild plus Tears of the Kingdom, etc. as well as some other games over time.

Has anyone seen anything solid on Nintendo's next console, or am I fairly safe buying one soon once there's a deal?

No new rumors of a switch 2 that I've seen... Thinking of picking up a switch for Super Mario RPG remake, Breath of the Wild plus Tears of the Kingdom, etc. as well as some other games over time.

Has anyone seen anything solid on Nintendo's next console, or am I fairly safe buying one soon once there's a deal?
Get a Switch Oled and Tears of the Kingdom and don’t look back. The library is huge, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is great. This is actually the very best time to get one because the OLED is just so good and there are so many outstanding games. Even if they launch a new system, they almost never have backward compatibility sorted out at launch, and whatever launch title they have will not touch Tears of the Kingdom. Maybe they’ll have mario or something, but it takes years for them to get cranked up with software for a new system.

The only way it would backfire would be if they released a remastered and even better Tears of the Kingdom for the new console, or enabled some bells and whistles graphically that they had to dial down for the Switch. That is not their style however, and I don’t think expect that to happen. It could happen, but frankly I think we are years from a new console and years to see Switch games ported to take advantage.

Every gamer should have a Switch OLED in my opinion. You won’t see a new nintendo console until 2025 I think.

Get a Switch Oled and Tears of the Kingdom and don’t look back. The library is huge, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is great. This is actually the very best time to get one because the OLED is just so good and there are so many outstanding games. Even if they launch a new system, they almost never have backward compatibility sorted out at launch, and whatever launch title they have will not touch Tears of the Kingdom. Maybe they’ll have mario or something, but it takes years for them to get cranked up with software for a new system.

The only way it would backfire would be if they released a remastered and even better Tears of the Kingdom for the new console, or enabled some bells and whistles graphically that they had to dial down for the Switch. That is not their style however, and I don’t think expect that to happen. It could happen, but frankly I think we are years from a new console and years to see Switch games ported to take advantage.

Every gamer should have a Switch OLED in my opinion. You won’t see a new nintendo console until 2025 I think.
Thank you :). I think I'll grab an oled switch soon. Your thoughts on a successor and backwards compatibility, game releases, etc. are pretty much what I was thinking. I'll keep my eyes open for any deal on an oled switch and jump on it. :D I loved my wii u and its games, so I doubt it will be any different for the Switch stuff!

Thank you :). I think I'll grab an oled switch soon. Your thoughts on a successor and backwards compatibility, game releases, etc. are pretty much what I was thinking. I'll keep my eyes open for any deal on an oled switch and jump on it. :D I loved my wii u and its games, so I doubt it will be any different for the Switch stuff!
Still play our Wii U all the time. Kids are playing Super Mario Galaxy on it as we speak (bought it from the eshop). I have gone back and forth on getting a switch OLED because we have too much games as it is. Lol

Tears of the Kingdom is probably one of the best games that I've ever played.

I also imagine that the Switch 2, Super Switch, whatever is gonna be backwards compatible and using upscaling on current Switch titles.

I suspect what we will see is going to be more akin to Wii handling of Gamecube games. Just going to downclock itself to be backwards compatible. Maybe it’ll open up the possibility of patches like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X for higher IQ and/or performance modes. I don’t think we will see a clean break from the Switch platform anytime soon.

Tears of the Kingdom is probably one of the best games that I've ever played.

I also imagine that the Switch 2, Super Switch, whatever is gonna be backwards compatible and using upscaling on current Switch titles.
Yes, it is POSSIBLE the new system will upscale. That is very inconsistent with how Nintendo handles its software, however. They probably won’t do it because they will hold out for a chance to SELL a more substantial update to the games down the road. Metroid Prime languished for years and years before getting a proper update this year. I don’t think they are going to just up a few graphics settings on Tears just do get you to buy the new hardware. You can’t predict what they will do, but I think it is unlikely that they would do pure framerate and graphics updates to existing titles for the new console.

The Switch and in particular the OLED will retain its utility for several years into the new consoles life cycle. Remember, we STILL can’t play Windwaker HD or Twilight Princess HD on switch. You need Wii U for that to this day. For a Link Between Worlds, you need a 3DS.

This isn’t a Steam Machine where your existing library gets an upgrade with each new iteration of GPU/CPU. Nintendo wants you engaged with their new titles on a new console, not replaying Switch games in a higher resolution.

Also remember, the Pura Pad device Link uses in Tears IS A SWITCH. It looks like a Switch. Nobody ties hardware and software up together like Nintendo. They’ll be moving on from that and this experience on offer today is basically a time limited event for Switch. They like doing NEW things.

Off topic: If you buy a pair of game vouchers for $99, you get two games for $99 even if separately they would each be $69 or $59. The selection includes games like Pikmin 4, Tears of the Kingdom, Bayonetta. I paid $100 for Tears and Pikmin 4. Separately would cost me $129. You can build up your library at a discount that way.

Here is the Link, no pun intended: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-switch-game-vouchers/

Last edited:
The Switch and Switch 2 are both gonna be Nvidia chipsets with the Switch 2 using a chipset that has tensor cores for baked in DLSS.
It'll upscale. I'll bet on it.

Also, Nintendo doesn't want to erase the thousands upon thousands of Switch titles currently available in the eShop. It'll be easier if the new switch just plays them all out of the box. They want those to keep selling with as little work possible.

Will every title upscale? I doubt it. Will something as important as Zelda: TOTK upscale? Yes.

Last edited:
The Switch and Switch 2 are both gonna be Nvidia chipsets with the Switch 2 using a chipset that has tensor cores for baked in DLSS.
It'll upscale. I'll bet on it.

Also, Nintendo doesn't want to erase the thousands upon thousands of Switch titles currently available in the eShop. It'll be easier if the new switch just plays them all out of the box. They want those to keep selling with as little work possible.

Will every title upscale? I doubt it. Will something as important as Zelda: TOTK upscale? Yes.
I actually hope you are right. They desperately need these games to be better anti-aliased. It would make a huge difference.

DLSS and Nintendo would be a perfect match. They need all the help they can get, especially if it will be another portable. But they’d have to give that function to existing owners of the game on Switch. They aren’t going to attempt to resell the game to you for some upscaling, although many would buy in. Because they know if they do that, they are cannibalizing sales of a future remaster on the new console.

I think they should do these things and there are some articles suggesting they recognize users want a smoother transition to a new console.

I’d love to see them up the MSRP on the new machine and jam in more processing than what they usually do.

However, I wouldn’t hold off on Switch any longer based on rumors about a new machine, personally.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they'll keep B/C for their Switch titles - sure this hasn't been a common practice with their home consoles, but their portable consoles frequently had this feature (at least for the console's first iteration).

While I'm sure they could keep their high pricing the same for Switch titles, I'm hoping they'll discount the previous generation titles (maybe a return of the 'Player's Choice' series, or whatever it was called).

I'm not expecting anything drastic, the past few generations Nintendo seemed to rely on a gimmick to build their systems around (ie: motion control, tablet control, etc) but this hybrid design has been so successful for them. I'm expecting more of a NES to SNES generational change this time.

I also agree DLSS and Nintendo are a perfect match, and I'm expecting Nintendo to rely heavily on it for their docked experience and I think it's going to look great.

I'm thinking they'll keep B/C for their Switch titles - sure this hasn't been a common practice with their home consoles, but their portable consoles frequently had this feature (at least for the console's first iteration).

They’ve been doing backwards compatible for the last generation in their home consoles since the Wii.

They’ve been doing backwards compatible for the last generation in their home consoles since the Wii.

Yar, very true. I keep going back to the nes, snes, n64 transitions, but really nintendo has been doing b/c regularly for a few generations now.

Throw in Nintendo Accounts carrying over, and it's looking more and more that b/c will be present.

The Switch isn't backward compatible with the DS/3DS, which Nintendo say are superseded by the Switch. You may not define the DS/3DS as a "home" console, but Nintendo defines the Switch as a handheld/portable console first.

I have the White/Black switch OLED whichever one that is. Don't think I've ever used it in handheld mode. It's docked and is a blast to play MLB with my kids, or Mario, Crusin' Blast, old games, etc.

It's obvious that people love the thing, but I still think it's the worst of all worlds. Too big and bulky to travel with and too underpowered to be a particularly good home console. But hey, it has Nintendo's franchises on it. I don't think anyone else could pull it off, but Nintendo could sell snow to Eskimos if Mario was involved.

I think its the best handheld console available today. What is better? The Steamdeck? Please. It plays games at lowest quality settings. The Switch has a huge library and all 1st party Nintendo games look great on it. And the battery life is fantastic. The oled model looks amazing. Icing on the cake is that you can dock it and use it as a console with the best controller made.

I think its the best handheld console available today. What is better? The Steamdeck? Please. It plays games at lowest quality settings. The Switch has a huge library and all 1st party Nintendo games look great on it. And the battery life is fantastic. The oled model looks amazing. Icing on the cake is that you can dock it and use it as a console with the best controller made.
Sounds like you don't own a steam deck or know what you're talking about. Switch and deck have very similar battery lives. The deck has a bigger library of games. Anything released on steam for current Gen will likely play on the deck at the same performance as a switch or better than switch. All of the switch controllers work on the deck as do ps3,4,5 Xbox.

The switch is less powerful than most smartphones released in the past 2 years it run all of the games on minimum settings often with a 30fps frame target that is failed to meet often.... Yes it is amazing what they got running on the switch but don't let the Nintendo pixie dust blind you it is lower spec than the deck and the deck is a consolized PC.

Sounds like you don't own a steam deck or know what you're talking about. Switch and deck have very similar battery lives. The deck has a bigger library of games. Anything released on steam for current Gen will likely play on the deck at the same performance as a switch or better than switch. All of the switch controllers work on the deck as do ps3,4,5 Xbox.

The switch is less powerful than most smartphones released in the past 2 years it run all of the games on minimum settings often with a 30fps frame target that is failed to meet often.... Yes it is amazing what they got running on the switch but don't let the Nintendo pixie dust blind you it is lower spec than the deck and the deck is a consolized PC.
It is apples an oranges. The Switch is a Nintendo console and is the only way to play first party games. The deck is undoubtedly better for 3rd party software, but you don’t buy a Switch for 3rd party software.

On the other hand, the deck lacks an OLED display.

Steam desk is WAY more powerful.

...and if that mattered at all, Xbox Series X would be the #1 selling console and offer the best experience ever.

It is apples an oranges. The Switch is a Nintendo console and is the only way to play first party games. The deck is undoubtedly better for 3rd party software, but you don’t buy a Switch for 3rd party software.

On the other hand, the deck lacks an OLED display.
Not the only way yuzu runs well on the deck... But I suppose running switch games on the deck doesn't count as 1st party.

But like was said comparing them is not really fair.

There are rumors now of late 2024 for the Switch successor. Back to LCD and no OLED to cut costs.

I’ll probably pass on an LCD Switch 2 until they release an OLED model.

I’m guessing Metroid Prime 4 will get bumped to the new system.

As always, I'm pretty sure I'll only end up getting like 3-4 games for it. But since that'll be the only way to play a new Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party, etc. I'll be stuck buying one. If they're going to put out another underpowered machine with a gimmick, this time I'll hope it's super cheap. I've given up on getting the powerhouse versions of the games I want, so I'd like to save some $ on the system I don't want.

Whenever, however, new switch launches, I'll obviously be there day one. So I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
I finally played some oldschool (style) pixel games, namely The Messenger, on my OLED and it looks fantastic. Those blacks pop when it's the majority of the background.

I actually think they nailed it with the Switch, except for the ergonomics. The machine was underpowered, but it didn’t hold them back, really.

Their problem is they are stuck in a $300-$350 price bracket. So they have to cheap out somewhere, but probably realize they need to up their CPU/GPU game. How much CPU/GPU can you get into a unit with MSRP of $300-$400? So they may axe the OLED initially. But they should at least make it an option. I’d easily spend $500 for a Switch 2 OLED. I’m hoping they make two SKUs at launch.

I’d totally buy into a Switch 2 with the same basic concept, increased CPU/GPU and some tweaked ergonomics. I don’t need Switch 2 to compete with my PC, I just need them to update it enough that they can take their first party games to the next level. They will always trail PC and the other consoles, but they’ve more or less proven they can deliver the goods notwithstanding.

The best scenario for me would be a Switch 2 that has OLED and you can port your existing games right over. I mean, am I expected to buy Metroid Prime Remastered, AGAIN? I won’t. I’ll just run switch concurrently with Switch 2.

Back