Yeah, the Vita was a nice size. Something like that would be perfect.

Non-removable joycons could work. I mean, you are unlikely to be using motion controls on a plane or train or whatever.

7kyncukm4l501.jpg

I don't put much faith thin these rumors at all.

Can't just do a node shrink, it still requires work from Nvidia and i doubt they are going to invest time in an ancient chipset.

Depends how much Nintendo is willing to pay for it. With how many units a potential Switch Mini would sell I would not at all be surprised if Nintendo was willing to pony up some cash to get Nvidia to do more work on the X1 to make it viable.

I don't personally own a switch, but I'm curious what features current Switch owners would like from a "Pro" version?

This would have been a fools request a few months ago, but what about a freesync enabled display? Wouldn't that really help smooth out the low frame rates that can happen in mobile mode?

Node shrink? Better battery life?

From a Pro version? Outside of potentially better performance (maybe a fully clocked X1 or even slightly overclocked).

If its a system that still does the hybrid thing:

Better casing, the soft plastic shell of the Switch is way too easy to damage.

Much better screen. Put some Gorilla Glass on that shit.

A kickstand that isn't fucking useless.

Real color/design options. Every special edition Switch seems super lazy and boring.

Bigger battery.

A new dock that doesn't damage the bloody unit.

Make it thicker for the better battery but also so it can keep itself properly cooled off.

More internal storage. 32GB is a joke.

Standard USB-C port, none of this propriety power profile BS the Switch has now. I'd like to be able to connect any battery bank or wall-wart without worry of bricking the damn thing.

Proper voice chat support, get rid of the garbage phone app.

Reactions: Kain
like this
The USB-C thing is big. The damn thing simply won't charge with a wide variety of standard USB-C cables, ports, etc. I know there are horror stories about system damage, but the fact that it doesn't even work is nearly as bad.
It's why I'm stuck carrying around that massive AC Adapter it uses.

Depends how much Nintendo is willing to pay for it. With how many units a potential Switch Mini would sell I would not at all be surprised if Nintendo was willing to pony up some cash to get Nvidia to do more work on the X1 to make it viable.

Nvidia is notoriously hard to work with on consoles. Microsoft and Sony both hate Jen-Hsun.

Still not seeing nintendo's motivation to make new hardware, they would be better off spending cash on AAA titles, something the switch is sorely lacking.

The USB-C thing is big. The damn thing simply won't charge with a wide variety of standard USB-C cables, ports, etc. I know there are horror stories about system damage, but the fact that it doesn't even work is nearly as bad.
It's why I'm stuck carrying around that massive AC Adapter it uses.

I charge switch and pro controller with my mac pro adapter all the time.

Nvidia is notoriously hard to work with on consoles. Microsoft and Sony both hate Jen-Hsun.

Still not seeing nintendo's motivation to make new hardware, they would be better off spending cash on AAA titles, something the switch is sorely lacking.

The motivation is selling more hardware. The Switch is selling very well now, but making a cheaper totally portable focused version could sell even more. Something akin to a Switch Mini could be huge among the more portable focused Japanese and kid audiences. The current Switch is great, but its still just a bit big to be an ideal kid's backpack portable device like the 3DS is. Personally, I'd love a Switch Mini for myself. I tend to get to work 20+ minutes before I need to clock in so something 3DS sized that I could fit into a jacket pocket or something and pull out at work to play Fire Emblem Three Houses or Pokemon Sword/Shield on sounds perfect. I've even thought about finding where I stuffed my 3DS and bringing that to work.

The Switch is selling very well now.

Selling at record pace

less than 2 years old

nobody complaining about hardware

So where does it make sense to build a new version? I'm just not seeing it, it's just a rumor so i'm not putting much faith in it. I could be wrong though.

Selling at record pace

less than 2 years old

nobody complaining about hardware

So where does it make sense to build a new version? I'm just not seeing it, it's just a rumor so i'm not putting much faith in it. I could be wrong though.

All of their handhelds were selling pretty well when they released new versions as well. Two-ish years has also been the timeframe for new versions. The GBA SP was two years after the GBA, the Micro released two years after the SP. The DS Lite was two years after the DS, with the DSi following two years after the Lite. The 2DS was two years after the 3DS with the N3DS following a year later. The idea Nin goes for with the new versions isn't to release them when the old versions stop selling, its to release them when the old versions are still selling big enough numbers that people will get excited for a new version. At a time when a new version wouldn't be looked at as an attempt to wring more money out of old, dying, tech. I'm not saying I think the new versions are a 100% sure thing, but I'm not counting it out either as it would fit with how Nintendo handles these things.

All of their handhelds were selling pretty well when they released new versions as well. Two-ish years has also been the timeframe for new versions. The GBA SP was two years after the GBA, the Micro released two years after the SP. The DS Lite was two years after the DS, with the DSi following two years after the Lite. The 2DS was two years after the 3DS with the N3DS following a year later. The idea Nin goes for with the new versions isn't to release them when the old versions stop selling, its to release them when the old versions are still selling big enough numbers that people will get excited for a new version. At a time when a new version wouldn't be looked at as an attempt to wring more money out of old, dying, tech. I'm not saying I think the new versions are a 100% sure thing, but I'm not counting it out either as it would fit with how Nintendo handles these things.

You may be right, they were popping out new *DS's every week lol. I got mine on launch day so never really payed attention to the other versions.

This is Nintendo. A new version is a sure thing. The piles of GBs and DS's in my closet is a testament to that. Which also tells you that their strategy works...

So would it be a bad idea to buy a switch at this point with potential new models coming? I am a developer who is on the go about 5 hours a day and I already have high end pc's and a ps4 pro. The mario vs rabbids game intrigues me for down time on the go.

So would it be a bad idea to buy a switch at this point with potential new models coming? I am a developer who is on the go about 5 hours a day and I already have high end pc's and a ps4 pro. The mario vs rabbids game intrigues me for down time on the go.
A new model wont change the game content, its only the unit itself that will change. I for one love my Switch and will probably still own it after the new model and use it as my primary. It just depends on how you feel, but you will get at least 5 more years of decent gaming on it before Nintendo does a whole NEW console.

That switch online deal got me to finally pickup a switch. I find myself playing the system far more than my ps4 pro although pretty much just tetris 99 when taking breaks from coding.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
That switch online deal got me to finally pickup a switch. I find myself playing the system far more than my ps4 pro although pretty much just tetris 99 when taking breaks from coding.

Our devs are often mario karting with each other when i walk by. Probably 30% of switches sold are middle aged software developers.

love my new gamepad so much

http://www.8bitdo.com/m30/

sBZeOgR.jpg

my dpad preferences as of yesterday

usable AND enjoyable : 8bitdo M30

useable for long periods of time : SNES (when broken in, it feels very stiff out the box ) DS phat

not so comfortable for my thumb but they do the job : dual shock - wii mote - ds lite - xbox one

GARBAGE : xbox 360 controller, cheap third party knockoffs etc ...

never messed with a Sega controller in my whole life, this genesis/saturn hybrid just feels so good !
the dpad is soft like a pillow for your thumb and tactile at the same time so that you don't have to press with too much force constantly, the diagonals are pretty easy to pull off too !
SEGA literally does what Nintendon't lol :D

Anyone seen any good bundle deals going on for Memorial day? Looking to finally pick up a Switch since I'm about to move overseas and won't have any of my other consoles or PC for the next couple months. I already have a 256GB SD card for it and am looking to pick up BoTW and Mario Odyssey with it at least.

Anyone seen any good bundle deals going on for Memorial day? Looking to finally pick up a Switch since I'm about to move overseas and won't have any of my other consoles or PC for the next couple months. I already have a 256GB SD card for it and am looking to pick up BoTW and Mario Odyssey with it at least.

There's a deal on Google Express for a blue/red joycon Switch for $243 (through Antonline.)

So far I have gotten Mario kart, legend of zelda, smash bros, cat quest, and bayonetta 1 and 2, any other games I should look at picking up?

So far I have gotten Mario kart, legend of zelda, smash bros, cat quest, and bayonetta 1 and 2, any other games I should look at picking up?

Splatoon 2 is a fun shooter with some unique game mechanics I would say that is a must have game for any switch owner.

Nintendo Direct at E3 just showed The Witcher 3 Complete Edition is coming to the Switch this year. No release date was specified.

Here is the reveal of The Witcher 3 on Switch. Pretty low quality, as expected, but amazing that they got the full game running.

Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina look pretty damn good. Looks like more exclusives that pique my interest are coming to the Switch.

Yeah, Nintendo nailed E3 this year. At home it's my Switch that's been getting all the playtime too. I was planning on trying out the Xbox Game Pass (there's a month left on my promo) but it's been all Switch.

Yeah, Nintendo nailed E3 this year. At home it's my Switch that's been getting all the playtime too. I was planning on trying out the Xbox Game Pass (there's a month left on my promo) but it's been all Switch.
I canceled my Game Pass a few months ago and I'm probably not renewing my Gold subscription when it expires. I'm basically just using my One X as a UHD Blu-ray player at this point. Everything I play right now is on PC or PS4. The Switch will definitely be getting more attention from me this year.

like this
I want to play the zelda remake, GF wants new pokemon. Other than that just meh from nintendo for 2019.

But hey we get a zelda sequel in 2024.

like this
I'm pumped for Dragon Quest 11 S (waiting for the Switch version vs buying the PC version now) and the new Fire Emblem too.

I hear a lot of excitement for those weird Japanese action games, but not sure if I have the patience to look past the weirdness of them.

Back