Pieter3dnow

Supreme [H]ardness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopath_Traveler

Octopath Traveler allows to use the save game from the prologue demo. When you start the game it will prompt you for using the saved game. If you miss click for whatever reason you can just restart the game and the prompt for using the saved game is there again.

Official website: https://octopathtraveler.nintendo.com

Run down of all classes and bonuses attached to them.
Secondary jobs synergy.
Guide for some of the quests even for chapter 2.
How do you get your 2nd job .

There are some spoilers coming for this game it seems some of the folks posted them on youtube a stealing guide and several unique weapons up for grabs.

This channel has a lot of items you should not pass on:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCANBJT5L2nshR2de3GSNpCQ/videos

Last edited:
Seems there is already a patch out for this game :)
Supposedly they patched the Cait. It was spawning to often. Those creatures gives you tons of levels.
So if you bought physical copy and did not yet update air plane mode to the rescue.

Last edited:

Yeah this game looks pretty good same studio that made I am Setsuna I like how the spells light up the trees in the background I never seen that before in a turned based game.

Review from Gamexplain:

It is a bit long winded this one but it describes every aspect pretty well. Good advice on combat ...

Last edited:
I'll try and keep updating the 1st post if you find something interesting please share. Won't be long now before it is out.

Updated less cluttered version. Hope you guys have fun playing Octopath Traveler

Yeah this game looks pretty good same studio that made I am Setsuna I like how the spells light up the trees in the background I never seen that before in a turned based game.

That is not saying much. I hear nothing but good things about this tho. I am sestuna was bleh.

This is one of those titles that I really wish was given a wider release. I'd certainly purchase the game on launch day and I'm damned tempted to do so, save for the fact I don't want to reward a Switch (or any console) exclusive. I cannot understand why they did not release this on PC (properly!) as well, if nothing else - its based on Unreal engine after all! Maybe there will be a port sometime and I really don't wish to wait that long, but neither do I want to validate console exclusives

I don't get it.. if you don't want to buy console exclusives, why would you even own a single console? Just play everything you want on PC then...

I don't get it.. if you don't want to buy console exclusives, why would you even own a single console? Just play everything you want on PC then...

I purchased a Switch knowing its underlying hardware was very similar to the Nvidia Shield tablet, so I was hoping that it would grow into an ecosystem that had not just Nintendo games but also "tablet stuff", either officially and/or via homebrew (preferably without worry of banning even if playing online) Alas, this was not to be. I really wish they would have just run a customized version of Android instead of the current OS, but ah well... in any case, there are some neat games on the platform but I'd, much, much rather play them on PC and/or mobile.

I purchased a Switch knowing its underlying hardware was very similar to the Nvidia Shield tablet, so I was hoping that it would grow into an ecosystem that had not just Nintendo games but also "tablet stuff", either officially and/or via homebrew (preferably without worry of banning even if playing online) Alas, this was not to be. I really wish they would have just run a customized version of Android instead of the current OS, but ah well... in any case, there are some neat games on the platform but I'd, much, much rather play them on PC and/or mobile.
You should of know better. Nintendo is very similar to how Apple runs things. Even to the point they like to denies problems until a huge uproar.

You should of know better. Nintendo is very similar to how Apple runs things. Even to the point they like to denies problems until a huge uproar.

Officially I'm well aware of their policies, though I do hope for at least some evolution (ie they did release some games on Android / iOS despite them being things like Pokemon Go instead ofa proper full Pokemon game etc), but their systems have a history of a thriving modding/homebrew community. From portables like DS / 3DS with "flash carts" and comprehensive soft-mods, to Gamecube/Wii/WiiU, there is a large precedent for, after a time, near-perfect modding options and I fully expected the Switch to follow in this trend as well, whereas if Nintendo themselves would not bring the bessoo

Granted that the Swittch does have a homebrew and modding community, but Nintendo has made some unfortunate changes to their security and policies that make things more annoying and difficult to do so. (ie having to worry about bans for online play on a modded system even if not cheating in gameplay etc.) but I hope to see the community evolve and find solutions to this offering similar experiences to previous Nintendo consoles. I had hoped that Nintendo - with announcement of such things like a paid online service - would have been opening their eyes a bit, but we'll see how things develop. In any event, I'd much rather play these titles on PC so seeing third-party games like Octopath Traveller nor release concurrently is disappointing.

In the end I bought a Nvidia console :) . Let me chime in , I am enjoying myself, Nintendo is not a great company their social media agenda is despicable how they treat people on youtube is "criminal" and that for my standards is pretty indefensible.
You can always wait for an emulator on the PC :)

In the end I bought a Nvidia console :) . Let me chime in , I am enjoying myself, Nintendo is not a great company their social media agenda is despicable how they treat people on youtube is "criminal" and that for my standards is pretty indefensible.
You can always wait for an emulator on the PC :)
There already is an emulator and it's even playing retail games already. Two, in fact.

https://yuzu-emu.org/
https://github.com/Ryujinx/Ryujinx

Thanks for reminding me about this game. I was thinking of picking it up but totally forgot about it. Amazon is out of stock so I'm going to get it from my local Best Buy - burn some BB points.

The question I have is:

Will Square Enix (or any other company for that matter) realize that if you put out a great game, people will buy it, or will the lesson they learn is to make their future games just have the same graphics and controls?
I think the issues is that Japanese companies for the most part believe that their is no large audience for their products in the West anymore like there was back in the '90s. US media, in particular, always wants to attack the Japanese style of game these days where it's gotten to the point that there is a belief that a classic JRPG like this is not wanted in this market. So many Japanese games fail to make it on the Xbox, in particular, since the Xbox sells so poorly in Japan despite there being a demand for those titles in the Western market.

I think the issues is that Japanese companies for the most part believe that their is no large audience for their products in the West anymore like there was back in the '90s. US media, in particular, always wants to attack the Japanese style of game these days where it's gotten to the point that there is a belief that a classic JRPG like this is not wanted in this market. So many Japanese games fail to make it on the Xbox, in particular, since the Xbox sells so poorly in Japan despite there being a demand for those titles in the Western market.

The Xbox is a whole other can of worms. Microsoft could make a console 100x as powerful as any current console, and be the side of a wristwatch with total portability, and it still will never sell in Japan.

But Square didn't even expect it to sell well in Japan. This is just one of those games where businesses are so use to seeing AAA games with flashy graphics and full sound be the norm, that no one ever bothers to ask whether that's what gamers want. And I don't mean what gamers say they want, rather, what gamers actually want. (Actions speak louder than words, as most people in my opinion are delusional in their conscious self).

That though is one of the reasons I like the Switch. It's willing to take far more chances with games than the other consoles. I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft would have ever allowed this type of game to dirty their consoles without prior sales figures to show it would be popular.

There already is an emulator and it's even playing retail games already. Two, in fact.

https://yuzu-emu.org/
https://github.com/Ryujinx/Ryujinx

I am thinking of putting them on my donation list, like I did for CEMU and Dolphin. There are some fantastic games on Nintendo (New) 3DS that I'd love to play on my PC and/or mobile device; this thread reminds me to check into the progress on Citra, the other emu developed by the Yuzu team. I have a 3DS XL (not New 3DS though) modded with custom firmware, but I'd still rather play many of those titles especially long RPGs like Fire Emblem series, Bravely series, or even Zelda, Kunio-kun, and other titles - on PC; preferably with graphical upscaling/enhancement packs and compatibility with other mods. My 3DS custom firmware is what allows me to run fan-translations and other custom rom-hacks for instance, I don't know if Citra is yet up to enabling online play, but Dolphin and even CEMU doing so is really a benefit. I can really commend the Yuzu an Ryujinx devs for the progress they've made in such a short time, relatively speaking, and hope to see things continue and accelerate.

One element that is equally viable on all of these emus, as well as the original hardware if modded, is the use of connections to the eShop through 3rd party utilities to download content, update, or even play online without fear of a ban (even with modded content, assuming it didn't cheat or try to interfere online) Alas, Nintendo has added a ton of security features to prevent this with the Switch and have started implementing banning on modders, even if they don't do anything "bad" . At current as I type this, there is a "scene" for the Switch and there is still some degree of homebrew and CFW, but it is still rather nascent due to a few factors. There isn't a fully open (source), full-featured CFW as of yet , just a number of individual hacks/loaders as well as one proprietary CFW. Using them all leaves many more records on the Switch than previous Nintendo devices so in some cases people are being banned. While the scene is adapting, there really isn't as much homebrew and things to take advantage of the Switch's tablet form factor as there should be. Ironically for Nintendo, this crackdown means that anyone with the interest/skill to mod or use CFW is going to keep their device nearly permanently offline and exclusively use pirated content; of course, the same is true of a banned system! Conversely, previous Nintendo consoles which were unlikely to be banned for modding/"piracy" (account-wide bans for cheating online were still present as they should be, as opposed to the often hardware specific bans for modding/piracy) , sold very well both in games and peripherals (amiibo etc), with their users making more purchases than they would have been inclined to otherwise, thanks to the full availability of online play and other features.

Hopefully both the Switch scene and Switch emulation will advance and offer something very close to a parity experience in terms of gameplay, as well as greatly widen accessibility. Even with all this though, I'd still much rather see Octopath Traveler come to PC with a well-made port instead of having to either pay full price for a Switch title (that will no doubt require an OS update, closing a door that enables easier modding) "voting" for Square to value Switch exclusivity if things sell well, or wait for quite a long time for near-perfect emulation.

The Xbox is a whole other can of worms. Microsoft could make a console 100x as powerful as any current console, and be the side of a wristwatch with total portability, and it still will never sell in Japan.

But Square didn't even expect it to sell well in Japan. This is just one of those games where businesses are so use to seeing AAA games with flashy graphics and full sound be the norm, that no one ever bothers to ask whether that's what gamers want. And I don't mean what gamers say they want, rather, what gamers actually want. (Actions speak louder than words, as most people in my opinion are delusional in their conscious self).

That though is one of the reasons I like the Switch. It's willing to take far more chances with games than the other consoles. I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft would have ever allowed this type of game to dirty their consoles without prior sales figures to show it would be popular.

I think you're right that Japanese companies are often slow to change for a wide variety of reasons. The Xbox One hasn't really done so well this generation universally, with many feeling the PS4 is the better alternative from day one. This was added to Japanese "not-invented-here" elements, which despite a strong showing at least globally during the Xbox 360 days (I was as surprised as anyone to see JRPGs thrive on the platform) , it seems that there is a lot of emphasis on homegrown Sony and Nintendo consoles.

Do you really think that the West is (or appears through media) hostile to JRPGs? I admit I am not very familiar personally with the selections available on consoles, but from what I've heard from others that besides the Switch, the PS4 at least has been a strong destination for JRPGs?

What I can say however is that I am very, pleased that JRPGs and Japanese developers as a whole have finally begun to embrace the PC. More titles than ever across the entire range have been coming to PC. Some are ports of older title sand/or remastered versions and some are even getting new/parity releases. Granted, some are not as technically viable as they ought to be , but hopefully things will continue to improve. Nihon Falcom (Ys series and Legend of Heroes: Trails series), pretty much everything from NIS (ie Disgaea, phantom brave), SEGA (Valkyria Chronicles and even the upcoming Valkyria Chronicles 4! The Yakuza series will add 2 new titles to PC for the first time! Shenmue 1&2 coming before the new 3rd entry), and even SquareEnix themselves (Final Fantasy titles across the board, Nier:Automata though not a traditional JRPG, upcoming Dragon Quest IX and many, many more) round out just a few of the major publishers.

On the indie side there is also a HUGE presence of JRPG styled titles. Anything published by "Playism" alone covers an enormous assortment of often indie-ish titles with Japanese developers; Artifact Adventure and Artifact Adventure Gaiden have simple graphics but incredibly deep potential beneath the surface, for instance. There is also a new renaissance of JRPG styled title from indie devs across world. Be they pixel/retro styled or with lush graphics, titles like Chroma Squad , Shadows of Adam, Cosmic Star Heroine (and Cthulhu Saves the World, by the same developer), and Battle Chasers: Nightwar are just a few of those - an all of them well worth playing for fans of the genre!

This is one reason I think Octopath Traveler would do so well on PC - there is obviously a significant population of dedicated fans pushing many sales for the genre across the board. While you may be right that the Switch is more willing to take a chance (though to be honest this is a major title from Square Enix stated to be inspired by Final Fantasy VI with the marketing pretty much aiming to induce a retro-gasm in those late 20s+ fans of 90s classics, so it isn't like they're going with something untested here) , but the PC has a demonstrated market as well as significant economic and technical benefits with a lot less red tape. If anything, I figure that sticking to the Switch exclusively (this is not to say there cant' be a Switch version, just so long as there is one on PC etc) could perhaps miss out on a significant population of their target demographic!

Last edited:
Seems there is already a patch out for this game :)
Supposedly they patched the Cait. It was spawning to often. Those creatures gives you tons of levels.
So if you bought physical copy and did not yet update air plane mode to the rescue.

Bought a physical copy at Best Buy today just for this reason. Not sure if/when I’ll get around to playing it, I’ve barely scratched the surface of Skyrim.

A game like this really deserves to be on all platforms. So far it’s my game of the year.

Bought a physical copy at Best Buy today just for this reason. Not sure if/when I’ll get around to playing it, I’ve barely scratched the surface of Skyrim.
Don't worry about it, I am not playing it non stop just get some action going from time to time.

After you done all of the chapters then you spend your money on some new battle tested weapons:
If you are not there yet this might be a good alternative:

Forget the staff that is shown here there are better ones (Cyrus). The one from the Goldshore and there is one easy pickup in a L50 cave.

Some other form of help from items that boost xp/jp gain .

These are 6 weapons trips which you are required to have the passive skills which allow you to flee and or reduce encounters to grab them plus thief. Forbidden Dagger Holy Longbow
Forbidden Blade Death Cleaver
Viper Dagger Knowledge Staff

Last edited:
Best Buy in NE Oklahoma has it in stock in the majority of stores. They had 6 on the shelf a few days ago at the store close to me. Might try that over Amazon.

Btw the battle tested weapons seem to have spawned for me when I got to complete Cyrus, Oberic and Ophilia chapter 4 rather then all 4 chapters from all characters. (blade and staff I got)

The question I have is:

Will Square Enix (or any other company for that matter) realize that if you put out a great game, JRPG FANS will buy it, or will the lesson they learn is to make their future games just have the same graphics and controls?

Fixed that for ya.

I want to like this game so i can play my switch, i can't even make it past the opening dialogue. It's freaking terrible. Who writes this garbage.

Fixed that for ya.

I want to like this game so i can play my switch, i can't even make it past the opening dialogue. It's freaking terrible. Who writes this garbage.

I made it 30 minutes in. Put it down, not sure if I’ll pick it back up. Might sell it locally.

Fixed that for ya.

I made it 30 minutes in. Put it down, not sure if I’ll pick it back up. Might sell it locally.

Don't force yourself to play it. While it might get high praise it just not a game for everyone. I have been on the fence myself about getting cause I feel I would get bored of it quick.

Don't force yourself to play it. While it might get high praise it just not a game for everyone. I have been on the fence myself about getting cause I feel I would get bored of it quick.

I don’t think turn based RPGs are my thing.
Love Skyrim and games like that, can’t stand taking turns.

Back