WTF were they thinking with the pricing: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

$70 for the pro controller?
$80 for a pair of joy cons?
$50 for a single joy con?
$90 for an additional dock?

Yea...Nintendo screwed the pooch on this one. I thought it was expensive enough buying extra controllers for the Wii/Wii U...

So if I want to play a game with a couple of friends or my kids, I'm at $500 with taxes. I really wanted to like this but $500 for another gimmicky and under powered console.

My only hope is they have a shortage like always so I can pick a few up and make some quick cash like the rest of their consoles.

The system comes with two Joy-Con as it is, which allows for two players from the get-go.

Also, individual controller prices are similar to the other consoles, only these are looking to offer new tech (e.g. HD rumble) versus the same old copies of yesteryear.

You don't have to buy another dock unless you really want to be able to swap between TV sets that are far away from each other. If you don't need that, then why are you mentioning it? The handheld can be charged without a dock by using the included ac charger or any USB-C power bank...

You know what the real gimmicky thing seems to be lately? Selling the same game over and over with improved graphics. Have fun playing that garbage, brah. I'll be Switching to something new for a change.

Battery life is not an issue for me since I will use it for off TV, not portable play. I wouldn't be caught dead playing that in public!

The games clearly did not look good. The focus on portability is misplaced. Jack of all trades, master of none.

The lack of GPU horsepower and resolution will hold tripple A games back, like the NEXT Zelda, but could be a big step up for more mobile oriented projects like A Link Between Worlds.

I could see a sidescrolling metroid or top down zelda coming off nicely on this machine. But the horsepower to anti-alias a larger game just ain't there.

At the end of the day, they tend to come through on the software side. I might not need this at launch, but if they get some good first party content on there that scores in the 90s, I'm in. Wii U was definitely worth the cost of admission not withstanding its deficiencies.

I preordered one, not so much because how compelled i was to watch anything, but maybe because I secretly enjoy nintendo d**king me in the bum... and maybe because i have too much discretionary income so i waste a lot of money.

Guess i have 2 months to cancel if necessary, or if for some reason there is actually demand, you know nintendo will have huge shortages. I can always just sell it on eBay.

The system comes with two Joy-Con as it is, which allows for two players from the get-go.

Also, individual controller prices are similar to the other consoles, only these are looking to offer new tech (e.g. HD rumble) versus the same old copies of yesteryear.

You don't have to buy another dock unless you really want to be able to swap between TV sets that are far away from each other. If you don't need that, then why are you mentioning it? The handheld can be charged without a dock by using the included ac charger or any USB-C power bank...

You know what the real gimmicky thing seems to be lately? Selling the same game over and over with improved graphics. Have fun playing that garbage, brah. I'll be Switching to something new for a change.

Yea, just what I want to do, share two tiny controllers that I can cramp my big man hands around. How many people are going to want to separate them instead of having two full size controllers. Those joy cons are TINY. Remember how bad the original NES controller was, these look to be smaller and worse.

I don't remember any other console having $70 and $80 controllers at launch. That's ridiculous.

One of my Co-workers put up a Nintendo Switch banner sign on the inside on the ceiling they had he had no idea what it was even.

One time when Nintendo 64 came out some customers came in the backroom looking for Zelda. They had a flyer with them and they asked us if "You see this fucking game?"
They were just looking for a copy while our guys were unloading the truck.

No i was 5. 1/2 of the people on here probably don't even remember anything pre-SNES.

I'm old as hell! Personally I thought the Atari 2600 controllers were awesome but somewhat vague. I never quite understood the Intellivision controllers. The original NES controllers were murder on your thumbs, but they had a simplicity to them that anyone could figure out.

Neo Geo had the best controller. I never figured out Street Fighter out on a SEGA Master System controller, but I was a king on the SNES controller. I miss the SEGA Dreamcast controller. Seaman!

I thought the Sega Dreamcast controller was the best or Sega Saturn was a close second.

Man. Between the price and them reselling old games (rather than offering more new content); this isn't very appealing. SF2: Final Challengers and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Really? I love those games, but it's not like I wanted to buy them again. The newer games seem okay, but not particularly noteworthy. SM Odyssey looks like just another gradual improvement on Mario 64, much like Sunshine and Galaxy were. Arms and Splatoon seem decent, but I'm still not seeing a reason why we needed new hardware.

I don't hate it or anything, but I think that all of my initial issues have actually grown thanks to this reveal. My stupid ass will almost certainly end up with one, but I'm still really disappointed.

Last edited:
400 CAD....

I was hoping for 300, I would have grudgingly paid 350, but 400 pushes it firmly into PS4 territory.

Fuck you Nintendo. You screwed me with the NES Classic, which still isn't in stock, now you've screwed me on the Switch, which is the first console I've wanted to buy in the last decade.

Exclusives like Breath of
Watched entire presentation live.

Highlights from memory:
$300 MSRP
Launch Date 3MAR2017
Joy-Con
No region lock
1-2 Switch
ARMS
Handheld rechargeable via USB-C (wall charger or power bank)
Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
Fire Emblem Musou / Warriors
TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN, BITCH! (No More Heroes 3)
Skyrim
FIFA
Zelda: Breath of the Wild confirmed for launch

So hyped. Thanks for posting this, Cagey

Also, please go back to playing your infinite shooter multiplats @ 30fps, dudebros crying. Switch + PC is gonna rock 2017

I would sell my PS4 for a Swtich

I know this one guy who pushed carts at Walmart who bought a Nintendo Wii on launch and quit his job the same day.

since nvidia designed the hardware, wonder how long till it gets hacked. Might be a selling point.

If the machine could be modded, that could actually be awesome. Hacks gave the original Xbox and Wii life after death.

meh, not impressed with the switch. the only thing nintendo has going for them imo is their handful of inhouse games. and that i dont think is worth $300+ the crazy price of their controllers.

I think the DS is perfect for playing games on the go, there are a bazzillion games for it already. I don't see myself or my kids needing the power of the switch on the go. that's what the DS is for, and we have the PS4 at home.

Also, individual controller prices are similar to the other consoles

Uh, no. Despite one JoyCon being "functional", it does not provide a full controller experience (2 analog sticks, D-pad, buttons, triggers, etc.) by itself. For that you are looking at $80 minimum, which does NOT come with the "Charging grip" which is what makes it like a regular controller. That is another $30, so you are looking at $110 for a "normal" controller experience with the JoyCons.

Or, you can pay $70 for the Pro controller, which is still fairly ridiculous.

Also, $90 for the dock is utterly absurd...wasn't it confirmed that the dock didn't actually do anything significant for performance?

To be honest I'm mainly buying for Mario. The presentation that was just posted hinted that we're talking 3rd quarter of 2017 for the new Mario game. If thats the case I'm definitely in the "meh wait for reviews" team. I realize its fairly common for systems to come out with a small list of launch titles, but nintendo which already has too few games always manages to disappoint me with their amount of launch titles.

Is that a Guy with Blue Hair I know the Nintendo people collects some oddballs.
Huh. I thought I was missing an in joke when a Nintendo switch thread elsewhere went out of its way to emphasize the pronouns her and she, something posters usually did not do (even if they were white knighting). I didn't put much thought into it at the time.

For $70, that pro controller better be the alpha and omega. To play 2-player games we're looking at a $400 investment once you factor in tax.

Well, I've preordered one and Zelda. Wish me luck, I haven't bought a Nintendo system on launch since the GameBoy Advance SP (so much better than the regular one). I've wanted to play Mario Kart 8 since it came out for the Wii U but I couldn't stomach buying a dead system. Zelda and the new Mario game look pretty good too, and maybe Splatoon 2. Graphics? I'm not too bothered. I like cartoony graphics and I already have a PS4 and earth-shatteringly powerful desktop computer.

I'm totally convinced watching Nintendo's presentation last night is what clinched it for me.

I just bought an xbox controller for my PC that has BT and it only cost my $50. Nintendo has gone full Apple with their pricing.

Zelda on Switch is 13.4GB and Wii U is 13GB. Sounds like the Wii U version is going to have similar quality visuals.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-and-wii-u-file-sizes-revealed/

Well, I would say size of the files only gives an indicator of one thing. It probably will have similar texture size. But resolution will undoubtedly be higher on Switch, better frame rates more than likely, more effects, better lighting and things like that.

I wonder how many game developers will jump on this due to the limited specs.
I wonder if the Wii U had the same problem or if the developers could see past
pixels and shaders and just make a good game. The Nintendo Wii was X10 better
than the Wii U as far as Game Developers went alot of them are not around anymore.
My uncle used to work for THQ but he retired but they made some good games.

Based upon the initial announcement, they didn't have anything major lined up. If there were big guns, they would have revealed them. It doesn't mean they won't eventually, but that's a bad sign. I'm genuinely irritated about Ultra Street Fighter 2 rather than something like Tekken 7 or a Capcom fighter from the last 20 years.
I had planned on buying one of these on a lark but now I'm not so sure. For my wife and I to play Mario Kart it's going to cost us $400...and it isn't even a new version of Mario Kart.

Just in watching my Facebook feed, it feels like my "Nintendo can do no wrong" friends are all still going to buy it. They are definitely less excited than they were a few months ago, though. I think the hope was that last night would reveal a boatload of major titles and franchises they had been hoping for. What was shown didn't do that.
Everyone else seems to be following a wait and see attitude after seeing that price breakdown.

Still not sold on the gimmicks, but I think I'll buy one. Breath of the Wild is really selling it for me, and I don't have a Wii U. It's a shame Nintendo have gone full Apple with the accessories, though.

I've got a Switch and Zelda SE preordered. I'm really not liking a lot of things announced so far (paid online, "free" games are 30 day trials, lackluster release day games except Zelda) but I like portable stuff and if I truly do not like I'm sure I can sell it and get most of my money back.

So much for the overhyped third party support, launch day is looking way worse then the wiiu did in that respect. You get the feeling that even the developers are playing 'wait and see', most of the announcements are just them acknowledging that the switch exists and nothing else.

Edl2SLh.jpg

So someone thought a "Milking" game with motion controls would be a good idea....Gee i wonder what hand motions that is going to make use of. :unsure:

Unlike the other consoles, Nintendo has a lot of people that will buy literally anything they sell and swear it's amazing. Many have kids that were raised thinking that, too. I blame whatever was in the breakfast cereal in the early 80's because my generation is nostalgic to a fault. We can blame them for the 80's toy blockbusters, too.
Even if the Switch is a total disaster, I bet there are enough gen X and Y diehards that will at least push it to WiiU sales levels.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
wow for $299.....what a Rip off, would rather get a PS4 or Xbone
It's a $199 console if it was stationary, but $299 due to mobile capability. I would never use the mobile version because I prefer the big screen, so I don't know if I would ever buy one. Nintendo does not like price drops.

I ended up pre-ordering one. I'm still not 100% sold on it, but I figure worst case scenario is probably make a few bucks selling it when the obligatory Nintendo supply shortage happens.

Back