NHL09 PS3 Team

Words cannot describe how pissed off that last game made me.

In the future, it's probably good to avoid the following teams unless we have a full squad and are down for some cruel and unusual punishment:

GLD
CAP
TVC
LYS
BoN

There are a few more, but off the top of my head those are all div 1 teams that have the one timer perfected. Playing GLD with no D was rough, but even when I hung back they still executed the one timer 90% of the time.

I probably won't play until 9CST tonight, I'm not sure if anyone else will be on.

What was bad about the last game and who did you play?

We played The Gladiators 2 aka GLD. I didn't recognize their name but they were or are a top 10 division 1 team and we went 3 forwards and no D against them. They had the one timer down, and even though I was diving to block they still managed to get it through most of the time. The final score was 9-1, 7 of the goals were off the one-timer and the other two were slapshots from the point by the D.

I know we've had a few other games like that, but it really pissed me off last night for some reason.

we played very well with 4 and 5 players.

i won a bunch of draws in that last game, and i finally got a deflection goal anyways. none of them would fight either.

i'll be on tonight at 10est

Cool we can get a full group again tonight then.

Snaggle since you've played center a lot in the past, did you feel that the draw timing is now different as well with the new patch? I know I was making remarks about it last night, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy

i just did what i do, i try to time the tap for the moment the puck touches the ice. i didn't feel like i had to adjust anything about my style, but without knowing the other centreman's stats, who knows why i was winning a few. he still won more, i think it was 18-13 or something.

Good games tonight guys, it's amazing how well things work with 5 players. It will be interesting to see what happens if we get 6 and have to have a goalie.

Haha yea sorry I have to leave at midnight (11 CST) during the week, a little different for you guys since its an hour earlier.

But yea, we definitely were playing well, most surprisingly our defense seems to be working, in our few games last night it felt like the other teams were very rarely able to get the puck over the blue line and take an uncontested shot, and it doesn't look to be too dependent on who is playing as a defenseman, which is good

if you're sniping a bunch, you should prolly play D. just so youre by the blue line most of the time and can get back sooner. XD

i was owning the draws in those last couple of games. :D

also, finally picked up my veteran card. 16 more stat points for me, awesome.

at the same time, one player for one position. two people occupying the same defensive position (in the offensive zone) might work ok for preventing a fast break, but it's no good for attempting a forecheck to get some goals. there are better, more strategic places to occupy on the ice than the space already occupied by teammates.

it's pretty much about trusting everyone to play their own position and Zach9Parise, you're right. in those last couple of games, our overall team defense was very strong to the point that nothing was even a threat in our zone. our time on attack said it all. well, and the final score.

I think my guy is setup pretty well for D right now, so I don't mind playing it for the next little while. It's easy position points and if we keep winning it shouldn't be long before I get the A- needed for my legend card. I chose a playmaker and put all my offense into slapshot power, so he has 85 before bonuses and can still pass.

As far as the offense, I think it's better to keep wingers deep near the goal line and cheat towards the post when the other winger has the puck. The center should try to get in-front of the net, and the first option would be a one-timer to either the winger or the center. If the defense cheats down then a pass back to the point and have the D slap it like we were doing, and hope for a deflection/rebound. At least that's just my input, I never played organized hockey so I can't say it's a good plan.

The only situation we would need a winger near the blueline is when we're playing a cherry picking team that like to break for the one timer constantly. Even then, unless you have a small dangler with 85-86 speed you likely aren't going to catch them on the break.

I should be on around 9:30 EST tonight, but yea I agree, as we seem to have atleast 4 or 5 people on at once, we really do need to work on our offensive/defensive schemes. We are way out of position sometimes, when we should be running a behind the net or crash the net type of offense. I noticed Kev kept trying to occupy the point when we were setting up on offense, we don't really need 3 people up there unless its a powerplay and we are cycling lol.

-I'm also fine with taking away my faceoff att.s and adding it to my defense, I have no problem playing defense with you for a while, I get just as much enjoyment taking away goals as scoring them.

Ok sounds good. I will be on at that time. And I shoot from the point because I like to shoot from there and also for the fact that I am a Playmaker. It gives me more flexibility to set up the offense..

Yea, I wasn't really talking about you. It would definitely be cool for us to work out a scheme though, set up who's going to be where and what not in the offensive zone, instead of having 4 guys on occasion crashing the net when we don't need that many bodies in front. It was working real well last night with getting the puck to the defensemen on the point, and letting them rip slap shots that we were able to deflect in with our center

Ya, your shots were fine spmethod. I would say they were more from the faceoff circle as opposed to the point, but they gave good rebound opportunities provided that the other wing is crashing the net.

I still think the one-timer has the highest success rate though, so we should practice setting it up once in a while. Then the winger with the puck can either shoot, carry it deeper to/past the goal line and pass across, or wrap around the net and have the center shift over to look for the one timer on the other post... it all depends where the center/winger without the puck is positioned.

I'm at work now so I can't draw it out, but I'll find some templates when I get home and draw up some quick plays.

Do you guys think I'm better suited as a center/(sniper or playmaker) (with high faceoff stat), or offensive defenseman (with high defensive stats). I'm stuck in between as to what I should be playing, I don't know what helps the team more

We seem to have good chemistry when we both play forwards, so in that situation I would vote center. But since I'm on D now it's up to you. You were really good on D last night, and Snaggle seems to have the slapshot deflection down, but whatever is fun for you works for me.

Yea I guess I'll change depending how many guys will have each time. If its 3 or less I can do center, if we have atleast 4 I can play D.

I was very disappointed on lack of club members playing tonight. Also, Rayzab continued to get disconnected after playing few games. We should get a game going much as possible in order to improve our club's stats. I'm eager to play because I still need to obtain the pro card and acquire more attribute points.

I just got home. sorry guys =\ and with me being by the point, that was when they had like all of their guys sitting around the net and I couldn't get a pass in there so I was just trying to let us cycle it around a bit more =\

but srsly, I don't play hockey. so tell me what to do thanks haha.

Sorry I didn't make it on last night, something came up. I'll be on tonight though.

I was very disappointed on lack of club members playing tonight. Also, Rayzab continued to get disconnected after playing few games. We should get a game going much as possible in order to improve our club's stats. I'm eager to play because I still need to obtain the pro card and acquire more attribute points.

If we manage to collect 4-5 players together 1 or 2 times a week, I'm happy. I'm not extremely busy all the time, but I can't play every single night. Sorry man.

As far as obtaining points, I'm pretty sure you can log into OTP pickup games at any time and those games count towards your cards/upgrades.

Ranked OTP does count, so if only two are on it's a good way to count stats without worrying about the team rank or disconnects. I'll try and be on 4-5 times a week, but I've probably played 50+ games in the last two weeks and may need a break for a few nights a week.

In other news, we have one more guy interested in joining but he's from the UK. We'll see how it goes but I can't see him having a very good connection to any of us. I think I may try for one or two more players, but then we may have to run two dressing rooms when all of us are active.

just picked this up with my PS3, anyone willing to help me out with this game??

Yea sorry about that last night, somehow I kept losing connection to the EA server but not PSN, it made no sense. Tonight is probably the only night all weekend I can try to get on.

just picked this up with my PS3, anyone willing to help me out with this game??

send me a psn friend invite - kevkevsnowskate.

..actually, send us all them. I think our info is on the front page. It will be a lot easier to get together then and playing a few games with us will help you out tremendously with team play :p

Hey AthlonXP, as lamil said just add us all. My PSN is BassTek and I'll gladly play a few games with you, either in teamplay or on our team.

Some quick tips:

-Hold L2 (vision control) when waiting for a pass in the offensive zone, it increases your chances of executing a one timer and lets you swipe at loose pucks instead of taking a penalty.
-Checking anyone online now pretty much is a guaranteed penalty, so unless you are facing the guy and he has the puck it's better to just poke check (R1).
-A good link on player attributes, keep it in mind when setting up your guy - link.
-Another good link regarding the bonuses from equipment - link.

i got about an hour now if anyone wants to play, if not I will be back around 1230-1est tonight and can prolly hop on for a bit then.

Back