• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed

How do I turn automatic shifting off? I set the handling to elite, and it's still auto shifting.

it's in the options menu - unfortunately you can't change this during a race, you have to go back to the main menu.
 
Is it my imagination or do those PS3 screenshots look like crap? Anyone have screenshots from the PC version with max detail and AA?
 
Is it my imagination or do those PS3 screenshots look like crap? Anyone have screenshots from the PC version with max detail and AA?

I agree they do - I don't have any screenshots from my PC version (as I'm at work) but I do want to note that it really isn't THAT good looking on any platform in my opinion. I think it's OK, but not exactly monumental.
 
I agree they do - I don't have any screenshots from my PC version (as I'm at work) but I do want to note that it really isn't THAT good looking on any platform in my opinion. I think it's OK, but not exactly monumental.
Ha, I thought those trailers were a little too good to be true. I hear the gameplay is really good so I might give it a shot anyway on the PS3 since I can GameFly it. Already people are complaining about the controls on the PC and I'm done being a test dummy for PC games.
 
just picked up the game today.

currently in the process of installing it ( prefer hard copy over download)

I liked the first shift game. Graphics are along the best of any racing game i have played. They have improved them some now. I wonder if i can still rock eye infinity at 5040@1050.

Guess will give me a reason to pick up a second 6870, if i cannot manage to run at this res with reduced settings.

Oh i play with a xbox 360 controller, seems to give the best feel in the first shift. Never really been a fan of wheels/pedals even with their added realism, to much trouble to calibrate them properly to the game. I have a number of Top Times in Shift (top 15) with my 360 controller. Since the game is designed for consoles and later for the PC. Makes sense the 360 controller gives the best feedback.
 
Shift1 was awesome, I still play it and got a bunch of friends to jump on a deal a few months back so we race online together. That and Dirt2 are awesome games to play online or LAN. Let us know how you feel about Shift2 when you get it installed.
 
just took some time to play some races.

Graphics have improved a good bit over shift.

looks like i will need a second 6870 to push eye infinity. Cool with me means i will be able to turn on some eye candy as well. 5040@1050 is pretty demanding.

for now i am running 1080p on my 40" max settings no aa, haven't looked at frame rates using fraps, but its plays smooth at least with my rig in sig. Going to do some more testing with AA and measure FPS with fraps. Edit: Game will not allow AA to be turned on, just locks up in game and cannot select anything.

So far i like it better than the first shift.

However since it was just released i have stumbled across some annoying bugs. Game likes to get stuck a lot when completing a race, or using photo mode. I dunno i've played the game maybe 2 hours, and ive had to restart it umm at least 10 times now. I'm about to give up until a patch is released.

Edit: i have given up for today. Publishers shouldn't release games that are not ready, get the game working properly before you release and don't rely on users to report bugs, test ur own shit.
 
Last edited:
Is it my imagination or do those PS3 screenshots look like crap? Anyone have screenshots from the PC version with max detail and AA?

I'm thinking the same thing, from the trailer I saw it looked way better than any racing game I've seen but these screenshots look like live for speed quality. Not sure what's up with that.
 
the game is pretty sharp.

im running at 1080P maxed settings minus AA, cannot turn it on game wont let me, i have the frame rates to turn it on.

I tried to do some print screens but that well failed. I will have to use Fraps i guess. I have given up on the game tonight. Updating to the 11.3 drivers, doubt that will make much of a difference. Game is pretty buggy, like beta buggy.

So far its the best looking racing game i have played. This included dirt 2, and f1 2010, orginal shift, grid...

Now EA get to fixing these pesky bugs!
 
For 360 controller users,

After doing the DampeningEnabled=0 fix, I found the following settings to best reflect what I thought the steering should feel like:

Steering Deadzone: 0%
Steering Sensitivity: 30%


The cars handle beautifully for me personally, play around with those two settings to get the exact feeling you want.
 
To everyone saying the graphics look great...
Am I doing something wrong? Everything's set to High at 1080p, I'm getting ~25-45fps but the graphics look worse than Shift 1.
Texture resolution of your hand/glove especially seems low and just in general textures seem... fuzzier and less crisp I suppose.

NOT a fan of the DIRT-style "I'm a famous racer and I'm gonna narrate your game!" and I'm disappointed at how they took away some customization features from the first one.
I am liking the actual driving though. Pretty much the same as Shift1 but cleaned up.
Biggest gripe HAS to be the stupid, stupid "Helmet-cam". At least you can use the old, cockpit camera. :)
 
Last edited:
Is it my imagination or do those PS3 screenshots look like crap? Anyone have screenshots from the PC version with max detail and AA?

FPS sits around a solid 60 with my sigrig. From time to time there's a slight dip, but it's nothing worth noting. The screens look ok, in motion it's great. Click for full size.
I typically drive with the helmet cam, but it's a little dark for screenshots, so you get third person cam :p
Settings (all at max except for motion blur which I find to be useless):
















 
ugh.. the cars look plasticy, some of the textures are crazy fuzzy, and the game needs AA. This is 2011 for God's sake.
 
My GTI does look a bit more plastic than some of the others. Just the body kit/paint combination I suppose. Some of the textures are fuzzy due to the motion blur. It's not completely turned off in that screens. I'm gonna try it tomorrow with MLAA and see if thats an improvement over the 8x.
 
The yellow car looks pretty plasticy also. The "Unleashed" in the name has kept me from buying it - makes it sound a little too "extreme" (and not in a good way) for me.
 
*sigh* Another game lacking complete simulation support for the G25. I think I'll pass on this one. I'll patiently wait for another NFS II:SE or <cool car> Unleashed at the very least another NFS: Most Wanted
 
I wish there was a demo for this. I'm very tempted even though I usually only like hardcore sim style games. I'm OK with games like this as long as the physics are at least decent, but you can never tell by looking at videos.
 
Okay, I bought the game using Steam, installed it and was greeted with a nice black screen. Updated drivers, black screen. Rebooted twice, black screen. The game just pegs a core and the Steam overlays just stayed on the screen and I could not interact with them. I figured the overlays might be an issue so I turned off the Steam Community integration for NFSS2U and restarted the game, YAY back in business. I setup my video and control settings and launch a race. WTF?!? I can't drive the damn car! The steering is laaagggyyy!!! This isn't a deadzone issue, the wheels move when you twitch the controls, deadzone would mean nothing happens until you reach a certain point, if there is a deadzone set, it's not that big. The turn speed is the issue, if you try to whip it from left to right it doesn't happen right away, it's slow to turn then after about a half second it speeds up and then right away it turns all the way. It's impossible to drive like this. I'm off to play with graphics settings and config files to see if I'm one of the lucky ones that can resolve the issue through the config. I've been reading that playing with the configs doesn't always help. This is the part of PC gaming that I can live without. I like things to be tweakable, but outside of that, shit just needs to work out of the box.
 
Well, I've messed with the wheel settings and got the handling to be tight, but not over-responsive. Still not perfect, but good enough for my taste. I think the graphics in this game are amazing. I have everything maxed out @ 1920x1080 with my OCed 6850, except for AA which is at Normal and not High. If any one wants to add me on their friends list I'm EvilAaron11. I don't know anyone who has this game, so I don't have any friends :(
EDIT to above: Yes there ios some input lag, it's not all that noticeable to me, but hopefully they can improve it in the next patch.
 
It's not input lag.

It's programmed input time delays to help keyboard users drive in a straight line.

Somehow they managed to apply these delays to steering wheel inputs. On the steam version I have not been able to remove them at all. Thus the game is unplayable to me.
 
Just downloaded it via steam, every time I start it nothing happens, just NOTHING.

checked integrity, disabled steam community, installed different video drivers (including the latest beta) uninstalled (& cleaned registry) then installed PhysX, tried the Data Execution protection fix, disables firewall and antivirus, same problem.
 
try reinstalling direct x

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Everything is working for me now. Still has some bugs, but just going to have to wait for a patch i guess.
 
Just downloaded it via steam, every time I start it nothing happens, just NOTHING.

checked integrity, disabled steam community, installed different video drivers (including the latest beta) uninstalled (& cleaned registry) then installed PhysX, tried the Data Execution protection fix, disables firewall and antivirus, same problem.
Read my post, DISABLE THE STEAM COMMUNITY INTEGRATION.

In your Steam games list, right click Need For Speed... and select Properties. There you will find the tick box for the Steam Community. Once disabled the game should load. I'm not sure why this doesn't affect everyone but there are posts on the Steam forum about it. I posted the fix there as well.
 
I'm running a 5770 1GB card in my HTPC and I can max out all games on it but this one I had to turn down motion blur and AA. Once I did that a lot of the controller lag was gone. It still doesn't feel like the first shift, but way more responsive than I first experienced. I'm playing with AA settings but it's annoying to have to restart the game each time and sit through those fucking videos, well at least the first EA video.
 
It's not input lag.

It's programmed input time delays to help keyboard users drive in a straight line.

Somehow they managed to apply these delays to steering wheel inputs. On the steam version I have not been able to remove them at all. Thus the game is unplayable to me.
Input lag, programmed time delay, fucking annoying, all the same. EA please get rid of it for the controllers please! KTHX! :p I can't believe in the year 2011 people still play PC driving games with a keyboard.
 
Well, I've messed with the wheel settings and got the handling to be tight, but not over-responsive. Still not perfect, but good enough for my taste. I think the graphics in this game are amazing. I have everything maxed out @ 1920x1080 with my OCed 6850, except for AA which is at Normal and not High. If any one wants to add me on their friends list I'm EvilAaron11. I don't know anyone who has this game, so I don't have any friends :(
EDIT to above: Yes there ios some input lag, it's not all that noticeable to me, but hopefully they can improve it in the next patch.

What wheel do you have and what settings did you end up with?
 
Read my post, DISABLE THE STEAM COMMUNITY INTEGRATION.

thanks but I already mentioned that I did this.

try reinstalling direct x

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Everything is working for me now. Still has some bugs, but just going to have to wait for a patch i guess.

the DirecX web installer said I have the latest release so I just installed a standalone version of DX9. I'll delete & reinstall the game later.
 
I can't believe in the year 2011 people still play PC driving games with a keyboard.

And we can't believe driving games still don't feature a mouse option to control the car. I remember Live For Speed S1, the first game I played that I can control the car using the mouse on the x axis. Back then the fastest lap times were done by people with mice and also keyboards. I was surprised to drive behind somebody just to find later the sign "KB" next to his name yet he was entering the corners so smoothly. The guys with steering wheels were simply aiming for realism and were always at the bottom on the official rank list. It's too much effort with the steering for 0 gains plus your hands get tired quicker. The only analogy I can give you is like trying to play Call of Duty by pointing a gun at your screen all the time. Or think that a kinetic/wii is a superior device to a tactical feedback keys.
 
Is it my imagination or do those PS3 screenshots look like crap? Anyone have screenshots from the PC version with max detail and AA?

1920x1080 everything max. Looks worse than Shift and runs like shit. Looks like it's a 7 year old game.

2011-03-31_00007.jpg

2011-03-31_00006.jpg

2011-03-31_00003.jpg

2011-03-31_00002.jpg

2011-03-31_00001.jpg
 
1920x1080 everything max. Looks worse than Shift and runs like shit. Looks like it's a 7 year old game.

you have motion blur set to max, and your using the helmet cam. Turn off motion Blur and, switch view to cockpit view. The game looks better than the original shift, and other sim racers.

They are aiming for realism, with the motion blur and helmet cam. Things are blurry at 100+mph. You also have no AA turned on. AA is important in racing games, lots of structures need it to look smooth.
 
Is this worth a buy?

NFS Shift was HUGELY disappointing to me because of the physics. Is this any better?

I have a Fanatec GT3 RS Clubsport setup.

EDIT: I just read the thread and apparently steering sucks again. Fuck you, EA.
 
Last edited:
you have motion blur set to max, and your using the helmet cam. Turn off motion Blur and, switch view to cockpit view.
okay, thank you i'll try that.

You also have no AA turned on. AA is important in racing games, lots of structures need it to look smooth.
AA is turned on to the max in the Unleashed menu. So i don't know if its 4x or 8x. Forcing 8x in CCC drops fps to about 25 fps. Rig in sig.
 
And we can't believe driving games still don't feature a mouse option to control the car. I remember Live For Speed S1, the first game I played that I can control the car using the mouse on the x axis. Back then the fastest lap times were done by people with mice and also keyboards. I was surprised to drive behind somebody just to find later the sign "KB" next to his name yet he was entering the corners so smoothly. The guys with steering wheels were simply aiming for realism and were always at the bottom on the official rank list. It's too much effort with the steering for 0 gains plus your hands get tired quicker. The only analogy I can give you is like trying to play Call of Duty by pointing a gun at your screen all the time. Or think that a kinetic/wii is a superior device to a tactical feedback keys.

I dont think a mouse interface would work for most racing games. It worked for LFS because you were doing lap after lap in the same car on the same track so you learnt exactly how far you needed to move the mouse for a given corner, or how you needed to set up the keyboard controls for a given track/car. That and the controls were very predictable. Even GTR I really struggled to play with a mouse and keyboard because its a bit more unpredictable what inputs you're going to need in order to take a corner quickly.

Also, these days the fastest guys aren't using a mouse even in LFS. I never played it back in the S1 days, but as long as I've been playing it the guys who win the races I've been in have been using mostly wheels. Maybe it was simply less people owned wheels in the S1 days?
 
AA is turned on to the max in the Unleashed menu. So i don't know if its 4x or 8x. Forcing 8x in CCC drops fps to about 25 fps. Rig in sig.

No way in hell you have AA on, either something is screwed with your game, or it reverted to default.

This is with "Low AA"

 
I tried playing with AA settings this evening. It doesn't really matter what you do, it basically looks the same. Used High (supposedly 8x), MLAA, and High + MLAA. High looked like the the screens from myself on the previous page. MLAA looked a bit worse. High + MLAA had a slight visual improvement over High, but had about a 15-20 fps performance dip (solid 60fps with High or MLAA alone, averaged 40-45 with both on).

I duno, maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I really don't think the game looks all that bad, especially in motion. Runs fine too :T
 
Last edited:
im waiting for mods and patch to fix to fix crossfire issues. I just get a white image. Sucks :( but ill go play bfbc2 some more
 
Back
Top