• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed

The handling won't be a simulation, but it won't be entirely arcade based either.

The developer, rather, is saying they've created their own style, which is meant to provide the experience of driving, like no other game has. This is where the helmet cam comes into play. What the developer is saying, basically, is that those views you get, even in the so-called simulation racers, aren't realistic, since in real racing there are times when your vision will be obscured.

Realistically, for example, when you're taking a left handed turn in your car, you're actually looking out the left side driver's window, not your front window. The car is moving forward, into the curve, but you're looking left while turning the steering wheel to the left.

Based on the footage I've seen, this might be the most realistic 'experience' of driving a car I've ever seen.
 
The handling won't be a simulation, but it won't be entirely arcade based either.

The developer, rather, is saying they've created their own style, which is meant to provide the experience of driving, like no other game has. This is where the helmet cam comes into play. What the developer is saying, basically, is that those views you get, even in the so-called simulation racers, aren't realistic, since in real racing there are times when your vision will be obscured.

Realistically, for example, when you're taking a left handed turn in your car, you're actually looking out the left side driver's window, not your front window. The car is moving forward, into the curve, but you're looking left while turning the steering wheel to the left.

Based on the footage I've seen, this might be the most realistic 'experience' of driving a car I've ever seen.

and if i am not mistaken Shift 2 Unleashed is going to feature just that feature among many

i personally cant wait for this to come out

i really love realistic sims, but iRacing left a really bad taste in my mouth. GRID is more my style, it's a little more arcade but no matter what the fanboys tell you GRID has a much better overall experience especially when it comes to damage and graphics and overall feeling of actually driving a car..

to me Shift 2 Unleashed is going to be like GRID on steroids

check out the latest FAQ

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/03/07/shift2-unleashed-gt-gt-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

"I wish this could be realistic, I mean like live for speed realistic, gt legends realistic, that kind of realism, but it just won't happen with nfs and I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon."
An interesting comment... What you may not realize here is that I was the designer and producer of GT Legends and most of the key Slightly Mad Studios crew who made SHIFT2 UNLEASHED also created GT Legends too. For us, S2U is a massive leap forward from this old PC sim racer.
 
Last edited:
I'd be more excited if I didn't still feel so burned by the first one. It's one thing to have arcade/unrealistic/semi-simulation physics (there's nothing really wrong with that), but it's another thing altogether to have outright broken physics, bouncing hysterically off the track when trying to drive around a corner!

If the physics function and the AI cheats a little less in Shift 2, it'll already be a huge step forward in my book, but it will have to prove itself from there.
 
i really love realistic sims, but iRacing left a really bad taste in my mouth. GRID is more my style, it's a little more arcade but no matter what the fanboys tell you GRID has a much better ... and overall feeling of actually driving a car..

Hmm, how to put this gently... you're nuts!
 
Hmm, how to put this gently... you're nuts!

i dont know....i thought all the Simbin games, the ones i played at least, were really lacking in realism, same with iRacing. Not very realistic. Mathematically accurate maybe. But the overall experience of GRID was entirely more immersive than iRacing or the other technically more "realistic sims"

also i have to have impressive graphics to enjoy a game. gameplay isn't enough. I know its unpopular around here to say that, i could care less. Give me stellar graphics with as much realism as you can fit into that package. I will never sacrifice realistic graphics for tires that wear a little more realistic or tracks that are laser plotted and true to real life in elevation......like who the hell cares...most people will never go to a real track, of those that do most will not drive on it, and of those few that do drive on it they aren't going to be remarking on how accurate their video game track was.......

iRacing is full of a bunch of butthurt sissys anyways who get completely bent out of shape if you say anything negative about their precious craptastic Nascar 2003 simulation....reminds me of Live For Speed 10 years ago.....wait....2003...2011, not too far off are we....damn shame how many people are getting ripped off by that piece of garbage....$100/yr for that crap? and it doesn't even have a proper pit repair feature....if some asshat rams you off the road on the second lap of a 30 lap race guess what...you just wasted a couple hours of testing, tuning, TT, qualifying....with no way to repair the damage someone else caused. At least in real life you can have that option even if it means you lose laps....you can still repair and get some more time in...not with iRacing.....
 
Hmm never been to excited for a NFS title.. But this looks pretty good, and its released a few days after my bday.. Maybe talking the wife into getting it for me..
 
Meh, didnt like the first Unleashed at all, but Im willing to check the second one out.

GRID on the otherhand; I love that game. For its age, the graphics still look quite nice and the damage was perfect. The only thing I would have liked to see was some customization. Whats the point of having $30+ million without anything to spend it on lol...
 
Meh, didnt like the first Unleashed at all, but Im willing to check the second one out.

GRID on the otherhand; I love that game. For its age, the graphics still look quite nice and the damage was perfect. The only thing I would have liked to see was some customization. Whats the point of having $30+ million without anything to spend it on lol...

couldn't agree more....according to the article S2U will have engine swaps and body kits, etc.....no drivetrain swaps atm but from the response in the FAQ it sounds like they are planning it maybe

it's looking like a lot of fun either way
 
I can't get too excited after the bad console port that is the unplayable, totally broken and unfixed Need for Speed Hot Pursuit which was made / released recently.
 
I can't get too excited after the bad console port that is the unplayable, totally broken and unfixed Need for Speed Hot Pursuit which was made / released recently.

from what i have read this is supposed to be a pretty large departure from Hot Pursuit, it's almost like they are trying to get as close to sim style without making the game boring to play like most of the simulations out there
 
from what i have read this is supposed to be a pretty large departure from Hot Pursuit, it's almost like they are trying to get as close to sim style without making the game boring to play like most of the simulations out there

It's not the game play that bothers me. It's the poor attention to detail and the fact that the game was and is largely if not totally unsupported after release. The game still doesn't work for me. I can barely complete a single racing event without the game crashing to the desktop on me. This is even after applying their "quad core patch." I'm not really into console gaming and do not want to purchase things for the console just because a major developer / publisher like EA can't get it's shit together with regard to PC games. I'm basically of the opinion now that if you can't get the version I want to play done right, I won't buy your shitty game at all, on any platform.
 
I can't get too excited after the bad console port that is the unplayable, totally broken and unfixed Need for Speed Hot Pursuit which was made / released recently.

Hot Pursuit has nothing to do with SHIFT except sharing a common name. Hot Pursuit is made by Criterion and uses the Burnout engine, which has always looked like ass on the PC. SHIFT is made by a new studio and the first game was great on the PC aside from some physics issues at launch. IMO it's the best looking racing game to date on the PC. SHIFT 2 should be excellent and my only concern is that it's coming out so soon after the first.
 
I liked the first NFS: Shift but it was clearly a poor imitation of Codemaster's GRID which was a far superior game. Personally, I would rather be playing GRID 2 than Shift 2 but beggars can't be choosers.
 
Hot Pursuit has nothing to do with SHIFT except sharing a common name. Hot Pursuit is made by Criterion and uses the Burnout engine, which has always looked like ass on the PC. SHIFT is made by a new studio and the first game was great on the PC aside from some physics issues at launch. IMO it's the best looking racing game to date on the PC. SHIFT 2 should be excellent and my only concern is that it's coming out so soon after the first.

Well hopefully, because the last Need for Speed game was basically trash. Fun while it worked, but since it never works, not really any fun.
 
Yeah there's a split within the need for speed games. Hot pursuit was a 100% arcade game, Shift was not, Shift2 attempts to build on that.
 
Thinking back, the NFS franchise as a whole doesn't really have a good history with support. With a few exceptions, most of them have been released and then forgotten with only game-breaking major issues being addressed.
Some of the older ones got lots of good stuff (going back to the original Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, etc.) but Underground 2, Carbon, Pro Street, etc. were janky at best. Underground 1 and Most Wanted are really the only seriously polished ones I can recall from the last decade or so.
 
Thinking back, the NFS franchise as a whole doesn't really have a good history with support. With a few exceptions, most of them have been released and then forgotten with only game-breaking major issues being addressed.
Some of the older ones got lots of good stuff (going back to the original Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, etc.) but Underground 2, Carbon, Pro Street, etc. were janky at best. Underground 1 and Most Wanted are really the only seriously polished ones I can recall from the last decade or so.

Same here. Need for Speed Most Wanted worked well and was fairly polished. I don't know about Underground as I didn't play it.
 
Underground will probably always be a love/hate game because it was a change of direction for the series (Fast & Furious look/rock soundtrack/car customization), but as a game it was pretty polished and I think the developers made the game they wanted to.
Most Wanted did a pretty good job of doing what the Underground games did well, but integrated it into a game world closer to the older games.
I'd love to see a sequel or reboot of that game. I like the free roaming world aspect that blended well with individual races. I think High Stakes was my favorite NFS game, but Most Wanted isn't far behind.
 
NFS High Stakes was also my favourite game. I think Underground took NFS to a better place with all the engine/suspension/bodykit/graphics modifications and combined with free roaming map, it was a winner game. You can change the behaviour of the way the car handles, you can race on tracks or in the city, the roads were tight and technical, the controls were very responsive and you can even just cruise to show up your ugly bodykit and wheels. People like this kind of stuff.
Now it seems they try to separate this style of game into Shift and Hot Pursuit but it never worked.
Hot Pursuit has boring layout, huge 6 lane roads that don't require to slow down, cars that don't make difference which one you drive, terrible delayed controls to force you to use joystick or wheel, and gameplay that is very boring even online with cops and helicopters.
Shift is no better either, track only game, forget driving with a keyboard, cars sliding everywhere, aggressive opponents, and again just boring after a while.

Maybe a mix of both aka Underground is what is needed again. What was that NFS World all about? I've heard it was another big failure. A good driving game that I played most recently is Crash Time 4 The Syndicate (Alarm Fur Cobra).....highly recommend it
 
Cars have a better damage modeling system this time around, to the point that you won't be able to finish a race if your car gets too beat up. You can even lose your headlights, which makes driving at night a whole hell of a lot harder. You will be able to change the setting so that car damage can just be a visual effect, if you're not into the whole realistic approach of the feature.

Over 121 cars, 50 locations, 100 real and fictional tracks, the ability to adjust your car however you want, multiple modes, post-launch DLC expansions and more await fans of the NFS franchise come March.

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-shift-2-unleashed-192818.phtml
 
The best NFS game was still Porsche Unleashed.

As far as accuracy of racing simulations, AFAIC, without a full fledged racing setup with seat, surround, top end wheel, etc. it's still just something that would be played better with a gamepad in a more arcady feel. You can capture realism and physics as much as you want but when you are sitting in your chair or your couch, the real life cues that would tell you how your vehicle is handling like g-forces, inertia, grip, sway, road feel, momentum, and full 3D, full human vision, are just not there and therefore what happens in all these simulations is you just end up wiping out and you have no idea why because all you get is pixels on a screen or a little rumble in your controller or your FF wheel fighting you in an unrealistic manner.
 
NFS: Shift and NFS: Hot Pursuit are different developers... so comparing the two is nonsensical. I thought NFS: Shift was awesome as hell, and looking forward to the second one. I played Shift on the 360, I may get this one on the PC.
 
The best NFS game was still Porsche Unleashed.

As far as accuracy of racing simulations, AFAIC, without a full fledged racing setup with seat, surround, top end wheel, etc. it's still just something that would be played better with a gamepad in a more arcady feel. You can capture realism and physics as much as you want but when you are sitting in your chair or your couch, the real life cues that would tell you how your vehicle is handling like g-forces, inertia, grip, sway, road feel, momentum, and full 3D, full human vision, are just not there and therefore what happens in all these simulations is you just end up wiping out and you have no idea why because all you get is pixels on a screen or a little rumble in your controller or your FF wheel fighting you in an unrealistic manner.

I also agree here, Porsche Unleashed was a stunning game, I used to play this more than any other game. The aspect of buying vehicles and repairing them taught me early on to take good care of these classics :)

Shift 2 is being developed by one of the same developers from SimBin so I am sure it will have a great feel to it with some additional

I think after a while these "simulation" additions such as head cam and g-forces start pushing more the arcade envelope, where certain components may be overdone to get those "realistic" sensations out.

As Spare-Flair said, your still sitting on your couch/ at your desk and I think at a certain point its nice to choose what "Simulation" options we would like on and off.

I'm sure it will be a stunning game either way.
 
I'm looking forward to Shift 2, though I am *really* bummed that they didn't include a rewind feature.
 
Well my preorder is on its way, crossing my fingers that this game is as good as it looks.
 
Bit-tech gave Shift 2 a 9/10 score. I've been reading their hardware/software reviews for a while now and I know that they are quite unforgiving. And yet they gave such a high score with Shift 2, good news!

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2011/03/29/shift-2-unleashed-review/1

I saw that this morning too, hopefully there are more reviews like this on the way..

Bummer it's not up on Steam yet, perhaps it is a delayed release - they did this with Hot Pursuit and (if I remember correctly) the first Shift.
 
I'm looking forward to Shift 2, though I am *really* bummed that they didn't include a rewind feature.

I'm really glad it doesn't have a rewind feature. They said they were trying to move back toward being a sim. Rewinds have no place in sims. I hated that it was even an option in GRID.
 
I'm really glad it doesn't have a rewind feature. They said they were trying to move back toward being a sim. Rewinds have no place in sims. I hated that it was even an option in GRID.

I don't really understand that - it's an option, it's not a requirement. In fact, you were rewarded by running entirely with them in GRID and in other games.

To me, it's the perfect way to bridge the gap between the sim enthusiast and the slightly more casual player, without compromising either experience.
 
I don't really understand that - it's an option, it's not a requirement. In fact, you were rewarded by running entirely with them in GRID and in other games.

To me, it's the perfect way to bridge the gap between the sim enthusiast and the slightly more casual player, without compromising either experience.

It tells me that the developer also tweaked other aspects of the game to be suited to the type that would use a rewind. It is somewhat insulting to even see it on the screen. It sits there saying, "we figured you might need this". I'd rather not see it is all.
 
Someone over at Anandtech couldn't launch the game today. DRM is saying that the game will unlock on April 5th at 1:00AM. Anyone else having trouble installing / running the game today?
 
Amazon has it for digital download now, with a $15 discount on a future purchase.
 
Back
Top