Nexus M ( 2015 ) Smartphone

The Snapdragon 810 is still going to be a piece of crap, right? Even if they "fixed" the overheating issue, its reported battery efficiency is still terrible, no?

The Snapdragon 810 is still going to be a piece of crap, right? Even if they "fixed" the overheating issue, its reported battery efficiency is still terrible, no?

Battery efficiency is crap. Overheating isn't fixed. 810 v2.1 still throttles itself badly.

Back a few pages a picture was posted. It showed the throttling of the LG G Flex 2 versus the LG G4. G Flex 2 uses 810 v2.1 while G4 uses the 808.

Here's the post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041893192&postcount=470

No matter what Huawei and Google did the 810 chipset in the 6P is still an 810. It'll throttle like hell. Honestly I bet the 5X outperforms the 6P on a consistent basis.

I'm running Marshmellow right now.

It sips battery a ton better without doing much of anything than Lollipop ever did.

Anyone have a guess for when we'll see a real review? Considering selling my iPhone 6 for a Nexus but I'd like to see a real review first

I must have missed the lack of SD, could have sworn I saw it listed on the google store specs, but the RGB LED was on the google store spec page and now it's not. I have a screenshot of it. I'll have to upload it later.
SD was a rumor based on M's handling of external storage. You're not wrong, it was there in early specs but was only rumored.

Isn't the head of Google an Indian guy ? Maybe he's playing fav's to his hometown ? ;)

I thought there might be a rational explanation but that will do.

Some of the Indian reviews of the 6P are pretty funny. They are getting the scoop!

the unboxing videos are all from the nexus india launch event, apparently there was a room where they're all unboxing the same phones

they havent shipped there yet

Nexus 6P not tall it's cracked up to be. Another typical Google release, almost a home run awesome phone, but of course they gimp it.

Android Authority 48 hours with the 6P.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvSzmajya4

My initial impression of this quick hands on is "my god the black is a dust and oily fingerprint magnet'. Almost every shot of it there's dust and lint or smudges marring it. That would drive the OCD part of me nuts.

3 hours SOT in their daily use so far - but we don't know what their usage is. But a little bit underwhelming given a 3400 mah battery, and 2.5-3 hours charging to full even with the fast charger ? How is that 'fast'?

Bezels do look massive even when compared to other big bezel devices like the iPhone or the Xperia Z3/4/5 range.

And camera warning heating up, like all other phones with the SD810

I'm most curious to see reviews of the Nexus 6P vs the Motorola Nexus 6, head to head, running the exact same Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and same exact setup.

Because hardware wise these phones are extremely similar still, but the one year old Nexus 6 has the nicer SD805 IMO.

I would guess the new 6P will NOT run circles around the Moto Nexus 6 I bet they will be neck and neck similar in benchmarks, and I would not be surprised if the older Nexus6 has better battery life too.

It's not like the iPhone 6 Plus vs the iPhone 6S Plus, that is a dramatic performance improvement between the two models, and one year later the 6S is a big update over the 6. I'm no Apple fan, but you have to give them credit, their flagship phones get a pretty significant performance upgrade 12 months between models. The Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P don't see anywhere near that type of performance gap.

I'm most curious to see reviews of the Nexus 6P vs the Motorola Nexus 6, head to head, running the exact same Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and same exact setup.

Because hardware wise these phones are extremely similar still, but the one year old Nexus 6 has the nicer SD805 IMO.

I would guess the new 6P will NOT run circles around the Moto Nexus 6 I bet they will be neck and neck similar in benchmarks, and I would not be surprised if the older Nexus6 has better battery life too.

It's not like the iPhone 6 Plus vs the iPhone 6S Plus, that is a dramatic performance improvement between the two models, and one year later the 6S is a big update over the 6. I'm no Apple fan, but you have to give them credit, their flagship phones get a pretty significant performance upgrade 12 months between models. The Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P don't see anywhere near that type of performance gap.

N6 2014 does get notably better battery life under MM even under stock.

It could be helped more if Google were more aggressive with their "Doze" feature....which as of now only really trips if you fall asleep at night.

3 hours SOT in their daily use so far - but we don't know what their usage is. But a little bit underwhelming given a 3400 mah battery, and 2.5-3 hours charging to full even with the fast charger ? How is that 'fast'?

According to Pocketnow's initial impressions, thats probably because the "fast charger" it ships with is only a 3 amp charger.

According to Pocketnow's initial impressions, thats probably because the "fast charger" it ships with is only a 3 amp charger.

A few things....

A) It is USB 2 electrical spec.
2) ALL mega-fast charging times posted by manufacturers are with the device fully powered off.

Depending on how reviews go I may grab a Nexus 5x. Just making sure theres no known issues and everything looks solid, lots of the first impressions look pretty good.

Just put my order in for a 32gb Graphite 5x this morning. Estimated delivery date 10/28-30.

I was going to go 6P but I use an iPhone 6 Plus as my primary phone and wanted something smaller to try out as the 6P is almost identical in physical size to the 6 Plus.

Ars and Engadget have full reviews up (surprising, since it seems all the Youtubers are just doing unboxings at this point):

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-the-true-flagships-of-the-android-ecosystem/

So far, its looking mostly positive for the 6P. Battery life seems good despite the SD810, camera performs great (especially in lowlight as Google claimed) but it doesn't beat Samsung, fingerprint scanner is fast, and the AMOLED display looks good.

Keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way as more reviews come out.

Ars and Engadget have full reviews up (surprising, since it seems all the Youtubers are just doing unboxings at this point):

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-the-true-flagships-of-the-android-ecosystem/

So far, its looking mostly positive for the 6P. Battery life seems good despite the SD810, camera performs great (especially in lowlight as Google claimed) but it doesn't beat Samsung, fingerprint scanner is fast, and the AMOLED display looks good.

Keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way as more reviews come out.

My major issue is no review is hitting the 810 hard enough. Very worrisome when people say they're simply web browsing and the phone gets warm. Yet they all say "snappy performance". Yeah great. It's snappy when sitting idle and opening an app.

I want to know what happens when you play those games for a straight 30 minutes. I have a feeling that device gets damn hot and performance starts to suffer. They can't magically fix that 810 chip.

My major issue is no review is hitting the 810 hard enough. Very worrisome when people say they're simply web browsing and the phone gets warm. Yet they all say "snappy performance". Yeah great. It's snappy when sitting idle and opening an app.

I want to know what happens when you play those games for a straight 30 minutes. I have a feeling that device gets damn hot and performance starts to suffer. They can't magically fix that 810 chip.

Dunno who these guys are, but they're reporting a 25-30% performance hit after about 20 mins of benching, but they're also saying it doesn't really get hot, just warm as you would expect from any other phone. I'm cool with that, as I don't plan to be hammering the phone like that other than some Clash of Clans sessions, which certainly won't be pegging the CPU out. Otherwise I wouldn't expect that to affect normal/real world performance.

They're also reporting over 6 hours of SoT (with screen shot), which seems crazy.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Nexus-6p-AH-battery.jpg (Pic too big to embed)

Out of the handful of articles I've seen on it though, heat and battery doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm most excited that the display seems to be the same as the Note5, which is awesome. Pretty much solidifies this phone as my M8's replacement.

Last edited:
Dunno who these guys are, but they're reporting a 25-30% performance hit after about 20 mins of benching, but they're also saying it doesn't really get hot, just warm as you would expect from any other phone. I'm cool with that, as I don't plan to be hammering the phone like that other than some Clash of Clans sessions, which certainly won't be pegging the CPU out. Otherwise I wouldn't expect that to affect normal/real world performance.

They're also reporting over 6 hours of SoT (with screen shot), which seems crazy.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Nexus-6p-AH-battery.jpg (Pic too big to embed)

Out of the handful of articles I've seen on it though, heat and battery doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm most excited that the display seems to be the same as the Note5, which is awesome. Pretty much solidifies this phone as my M8's replacement.

AH has been around awhile. Their information seems weird though. That SoT can't possibly be right.

AH has been around awhile. Their information seems weird though. That SoT can't possibly be right.

I can believe it, but wish they posted whole history showing when it was unplugged too. Usually when you see SoTs like that, the SoT accounts for like 90% of the whole unplugged time. I've seen my wife's GS6 reach 4-5 hours SoT after being unplugged for 6-7 hours and pretty much dead, and that's almost unheard of in most reviews.

So I bet it will be more like 3-4 hours SoT realistically over the course of a normal 16-18 hour day. Which is still decent and a bit better than my current M8 (which I'm about to replace the USB board and battery in, lol).

What's up with the "out of stock" when I go to preorder? Reviews come out and now we can't buy!

I agree, Vermillion. The SD810 was a terrible idea...

I think Google is retarded for not using Huawei's Kirin 950 SoC. That chip dominates.

I refuse to get a phone with a SD810. Such a terrible decision on Google's part. Which leads me to beleive that the 6P is basically last years tech, released this year, with a this year price. They will make a killing. Qualcom is probably selling these at rock bottom pricing too. And, in the end the user suffers. Tisk....

I ended up getting a refub LG G3 for $300 to tie me over until SD820 or something better. I'm really crossing my fingers that the HTC M10 is a winner.

I think Google is retarded for not using Huawei's Kirin 950 SoC. That chip dominates.

I refuse to get a phone with a SD810. Such a terrible decision on Google's part. Which leads me to beleive that the 6P is basically last years tech, released this year, with a this year price. They will make a killing. Qualcom is probably selling these at rock bottom pricing too. And, in the end the user suffers. Tisk....

I ended up getting a refub LG G3 for $300 to tie me over until SD820 or something better. I'm really crossing my fingers that the HTC M10 is a winner.

Yea. Dropping $600 dollars for an outdated specs are kinda ridiculous IMO. The 5X is priced even more ridiculously.

I remember years ago people would say "I would drop $600 bucks for a high end Google device". Their prayers have been heard.

Just going to load CM 12.1 and then CM 13 for my LG G3. To run stock, the G3 has plenty of performance. I just can't justify 500-600$ for a phone atm.

I would definitely prefer to have something newer than the 810 since it has literally been the only (high end) SoC Qualcomm has produced this year, but I think we have gotten to the point where differences in speed in higher end SoCs are pretty negligible in real usage. 2015 has been a pretty boring year for mobile chips, since Qualcomm and Samsung have used the same damn chips in everything all year long, while normally we have gotten an end-of-year refresh in hardware at least.

The heat issues have been blown out of proportion a bit and have been fixed for a while now, even if they had to ramp up throttling to do it (not sure if the whole "2.1" variant is real or not). But even with the throttling, I haven't seen any reviews or demonstrations where it has been perceptibly slower outside of numbers on benchmarks. Not to mention that so far I have yet to see any tech blog complain about the performance so far, quite the opposite actually, and I doubt we'll see many of them complain about it in their final reviews soon. That pretty much goes for all previous phones with the 810 in them as well, sans maybe the G Flex 2 when it first came out.

I mean, I look at it this way; the 2013 Nexus 5 runs stupid fast/smooth still with the "old" Snapdragon 800, at least from what I've seen online and consistently heard from current N5 users. The 810 is significantly faster (esp. in GPU) even with throttling. The most taxing thing I do on my phone is play Clash of Clans, which murders battery, but mostly due to its constant network usage along with mildly taxing the SoC, so I'm not worried too much about it and don't think most people should either, as it really doesn't affect the visible performance of the phone.

In fact, I think OEMs need to focus a lot more on internal NAND performance and battery life now. These are really the only two areas where most Android OEMs consistently slack on. Samsung's UFS 2.0 is pretty nice though and it seems the new Nexus phones still use the older eMMc 5.0 NAND, which is ok, but significantly slower than that of Sansung's and Apple's storage speeds. It's always annoying to have your phone start lagging and hanging like crazy just because you're updating some apps in the background, which it seems pretty much every Android phone does sans the latest Samsung phones. This is an issue with I/O speeds on the internal memory and no SoC will overcome it.

Yea. Dropping $600 dollars for an outdated specs are kinda ridiculous IMO. The 5X is priced even more ridiculously.

Lolwat.

Always nice to see people grossly exaggerate the term "outdated." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I would definitely prefer to have something newer than the 810 since it has literally been the only (high end) SoC Qualcomm has produced this year, but I think we have gotten to the point where differences in speed in higher end SoCs are pretty negligible in real usage. 2015 has been a pretty boring year for mobile chips, since Qualcomm and Samsung have used the same damn chips in everything all year long, while normally we have gotten an end-of-year refresh in hardware at least.

The heat issues have been blown out of proportion a bit and have been fixed for a while now, even if they had to ramp up throttling to do it (not sure if the whole "2.1" variant is real or not). But even with the throttling, I haven't seen any reviews or demonstrations where it has been perceptibly slower outside of numbers on benchmarks. Not to mention that so far I have yet to see any tech blog complain about the performance so far, quite the opposite actually, and I doubt we'll see many of them complain about it in their final reviews soon. That pretty much goes for all previous phones with the 810 in them as well, sans maybe the G Flex 2 when it first came out.

I mean, I look at it this way; the 2013 Nexus 5 runs stupid fast/smooth still with the "old" Snapdragon 800, at least from what I've seen online and consistently heard from current N5 users. The 810 is significantly faster (esp. in GPU) even with throttling. The most taxing thing I do on my phone is play Clash of Clans, which murders battery, but mostly due to its constant network usage along with mildly taxing the SoC, so I'm not worried too much about it and don't think most people should either, as it really doesn't affect the visible performance of the phone.

In fact, I think OEMs need to focus a lot more on internal NAND performance and battery life now. These are really the only two areas where most Android OEMs consistently slack on. Samsung's UFS 2.0 is pretty nice though and it seems the new Nexus phones still use the older eMMc 5.0 NAND, which is ok, but significantly slower than that of Sansung's and Apple's storage speeds. It's always annoying to have your phone start lagging and hanging like crazy just because you're updating some apps in the background, which it seems pretty much every Android phone does sans the latest Samsung phones. This is an issue with I/O speeds on the internal memory and no SoC will overcome it.

I agree with pretty much everything here. I'm not bothered that they used the 810. Phones have reached a point where for most people they are unnecessarily fast. A new chip would mean a real-world improvement for very few people. As for the overheating, the latest version of the CPU is supposed to have taken care of this. Nobody is having issues with the OP2, so this should be fine. (I'll add, even though it's not an issue here, I don't get the fascination with high-resolution phones. Why does my 5.7" phone need a higher resolution than my 46" and 73" televisions? Phone resolutions should have stopped at 1080p).

Like you, I wish handset manufacturers would back off on the cpu and resolution race and start working on power consumption, battery capacity, etc. Those are features I find far more important than a bleeding edge processor.

I put in an order for both a 5X and a 6P today. I've had a friend using Project Fi for a few weeks and it's been going well, so I am giving it a go. My wife is getting the 5X, replacing her very aged Nexus 4. I've got a OP2, so a lateral move in many ways to the 6P, but I obviously had to in order to use Fi. Here's to hoping the 6P has a better fingerprint scanner, thats about my only issue with the OP2.

I agree with pretty much everything here. I'm not bothered that they used the 810. Phones have reached a point where for most people they are unnecessarily fast. A new chip would mean a real-world improvement for very few people. As for the overheating, the latest version of the CPU is supposed to have taken care of this. Nobody is having issues with the OP2, so this should be fine. (I'll add, even though it's not an issue here, I don't get the fascination with high-resolution phones. Why does my 5.7" phone need a higher resolution than my 46" and 73" televisions? Phone resolutions should have stopped at 1080p).

Like you, I wish handset manufacturers would back off on the cpu and resolution race and start working on power consumption, battery capacity, etc. Those are features I find far more important than a bleeding edge processor.

I put in an order for both a 5X and a 6P today. I've had a friend using Project Fi for a few weeks and it's been going well, so I am giving it a go. My wife is getting the 5X, replacing her very aged Nexus 4. I've got a OP2, so a lateral move in many ways to the 6P, but I obviously had to in order to use Fi. Here's to hoping the 6P has a better fingerprint scanner, thats about my only issue with the OP2.

Glad someone here recognizes this as well. I know it's hard for a lot of people to get over the stigma of the 810, I was one of them up until recently too. Then I kinda took a step back and realized that all these phones with the 810 and 808 are still getting plenty of praise for overall performance still and it ultimately didn't matter much.

I definitely agree with the absurd resolutions phone OEMs are going with now. Phones should be focused on power efficiency and performance first and forcing the SoCs to drive these ridiculous resolutions is counter-intuitive to that, all for a negligible PPI bump. I was really happy to see the M9 stuck with a 1080p panel, but after it launched, I was sad to see that it really didn't improve on the M8 (what I have now) at all and gave me no reason to consider it. At least give us the option to lower the rendered resolution to help a bit in power draw on the SoC (Samsung actually kinda did recently though).

Status on the Nexus 6P supporting T-Mobile bands?

Same as it was at the announcement.

Last edited:
Figure this is a good place to ask this re: Project Fi. I've been sitting on their invite for a little bit and the hold up is deciding what to do with my google voice number. If I don't port it over when I order the phone, I lose the number, so I'm trying to figure out if I want it or not. My question is: have people found that there are any additional complications to using their google voice number as opposed to starting fresh with a new number?

2nd question: phone and SMS functionality is all still available via cellular networks, and you are not limited to using hangouts (and data) for this stuff correct? Sorry probably a dumb question.

It also doesn't exist in any shipping products, not until next year. It sure as hell wasn't available at the time the Nexii were being designed, so I'm not sure what you expected Google to do.

They say they're "working on it". Does that imply a T-Mobile branded version?

No, Google/T-Mo is just working on an update for T-Mobile users using the same hardware/model. Was the same story earlier this year with the original Nexus 6 users getting WiFi calling. If you have a T-Mo SIM in your phone, you'll get an update eventually with band 12 support, VoLTE, and WiFi calling if it's not supported out of the box already. Once you put a carrier SIM in your phone, the carriers can push carrier specific updates to enable special features on their network (as well as bloatware apps).

Last edited:
Back