Nexus-Five thread

XDA shows October 15th as the announcement date, but nothing I have seen to officially back that up.

And last month, the date of October 14th was rumored to be the reveal.

Those dates are next week, would think invites would have been sent out already ?

Maybe Google has given up on announcements such as these...since they are so bad at them.

Watching the Galaxy Nexus reveal was like getting hit with a bunch of pins at the same time...

Sandy canceled the Nexus 4 announcement.

I doubt its Oct 15, official press invites need to be sent out at least a week in advance. Unless this is not going to be an event and just an update on their website, which I doubt.

Last year the Nexus 4 just sort of came out. No big hoopla or parade, like Apple does the second coming of Christ, for each iPhone release :rolleyes: even though that phone is pretty much the same each year.

Maybe Google will just say next week, oh yeah by the way, check the Play Store our new phone is for sale there, buy it now before it's sold out until January. And buy a Kit Kat bar if you wanna know about Android 4.4 :p

The biggest Nexus 4 reveal to me last year, was Josh T's from The Verge video interview at Google with Matias Duarte :)
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570034/inside-android-building-the-nexus-4-nexus-10-android-4-2

The Verge: an inclusive first look from inside Google HQ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-4uMQqerA&feature=player_embedded#t=0

I would like to see this again, for the Nexus 5. Josh T. and Matias were fun to watch and geek out over the new Nexus gear last year.

Last edited:
My point is, why is the Nexus 5, bucking the trend on battery compared to all the other new Android phones released this Fall ? 3,000mAh is standard on every new Android phone now. There are four things in common with all the new generation of Android phones now;

- LG G2 = Snapdragon 800 + 3,000mAh battery + 1080p screen + at least 2GB RAM
- Note 3 = Snapdragon 800 + 3,200mAh battery + 1080p screen + at least 2GB RAM
- Sony Z1 Honami = Snapdragon 800 + 3,000mAh battery + 1080p screen + at least 2GB RAM
- Nexus 5 = Snapdragon 800 + 2,300mAh battery + 1080p screen + at least 2GB RAM

The Nexus 5 has all of those high end specs above, EXCEPT the 3,000mAh battery. Why Google, why ? A smaller capacity battery is known to not save a ton of money on the overall build cost of a smartphone, it's just a small % of the overall pricing. Plus the N5 is based off the G2, and the G2 has a 3,000mAh battery stock by default, so why even change from that ? I could understand if the G2 was 2,300mAh battery too, then asking for a 3,000 would be crazy, but it's not.

It's rumored the 32gb version of N5 will have the 3000mah battery
The 16gb is 2300...

We've never had multiple versions of a Nexus, so lets see. As they say, there's hope but no expectations :)

Google can't seem to make up their mind about Nexus. They are really reluctant to commit to it as a product and stand behind it - make deals with carriers, order enough inventory etc. They can't cancel the program because its how each new version of Android gets developed, but beyond that they don't seem to care too much.

Damn I was excited about the bigger battery, oh well, if the price is right still at $399 for 32gb still works for me, actually after some thought I am perfectly fine with 16gb if the battery is the same and its $299 then SOLD on that one.

Unfortunately, a lot of sites are now saying that rumor holds no water, and most likely false, which sucks.

If it doesn't come with the larger battery I won't get one. I could give a fuck less about 16gb vs 32gb.

I bet many people feel the same.

If it doesn't come with the larger battery I won't get one. I could give a fuck less about 16gb vs 32gb.

I bet many people feel the same.

The software better be mind blowing, with a battery like this it k won't be nearly as popular as the nexus 4.

Well based on the leak photos, at least they got rid of the chrome. Ugh, I hate chrome bezels.

Doesn't show anything mind-blowing, but here's a video of the hardware. Software is possibly an early version. Nothing final yet, still eagerly awaiting official news!!

I wonder why it shows in the video, he is using KeyLimePie for the Android OS?

Also, it would appear he had the 16gb model, just based on when he was clicking around on the Storage menu..

I wonder why it shows in the video, he is using KeyLimePie for the Android OS?

Also, it would appear he had the 16gb model, just based on when he was clicking around on the Storage menu..

I think it's likely that the software is an early revision - even the hardware doesn't have the Nexus logo on the back. Gives you a decent idea of the formfactor though - nothing particularly special.

Probably mostly under the hood changes with improvements to project butter, and likely something spiffy we'll see at its launch.

The launcher is new (Google experience launcher), icons are new, nee settings (Tap to pay), messaging icon is gone.

But this is not a major release, so we shouldn't expect too much difference.

Still crying in my beer over the faked 3,000mAh battery rumor :(

Wrapping my thread up, I guess I will never see that Nexus dream phone of mine, oh well.

I just want a Motorola MAXX type phone, with that dreamy 3,500mAh battery, running stock Android, updated directly by Google, a 4.8" 1080p screen, GSM network, and having ATT + T-Mobile LTE and HSPA+ bands, plus keeping the thinness and lightweight factor in check.

I wish Motorola sold the new Droid Ultra MAXX, unlocked to use on GSM network, and could be easily rooted with CM10.2 ROM, does that even exist ? I don't even that phone on XDA.

The size of the Moto MAXX is right there with other phones, but offers that amazingly large 3,500mAh battery over 50% larger then the Nexus5's, and the Moto MAXX still being a thinner phone than the Nexus 5.

Motorola DROID Maxx - 137.5 x 71.2 x 8.5 mm - 167 g - Li-Ion 3500 mAh battery
Nexus 5 - 131.9 x 68.2 x - 8.6 mm - 139 g - 2300 mAh battery

Still crying in my beer over the faked 3,000mAh battery rumor :(

Wrapping my thread up, I guess I will never see that Nexus dream phone of mine, oh well.

I just want a Motorola MAXX type phone, with that dreamy 3,500mAh battery, running stock Android, updated directly by Google, a 4.8" 1080p screen, GSM network, and having ATT + T-Mobile LTE and HSPA+ bands, plus keeping the thinness and lightweight factor in check.

I wish Motorola sold the new Droid Ultra MAXX, unlocked to use on GSM network, and could be easily rooted with CM10.2 ROM, does that even exist ? I don't even that phone on XDA.

The size of the Moto MAXX is right there with other phones, but offers that amazingly large 3,500mAh battery over 50% larger then the Nexus5's, and the Moto MAXX still being a thinner phone than the Nexus 5.

Motorola DROID Maxx - 137.5 x 71.2 x 8.5 mm - 167 g - Li-Ion 3500 mAh battery
Nexus 5 - 131.9 x 68.2 x - 8.6 mm - 139 g - 2300 mAh battery
Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx are same phones (minus the battery), so any development work is listed under Droid Ultra.

Doesn't matter anyway - Moto X and new Droid phones are almost completely identical from a hardware standpoint minus the screen + buttons. A lot of people flashing Moto X ROMs right onto unlocked Droid Maxx's with no issues other than manually activating CDMA/LTE on first boot.

Nexus 5 to be priced at $399, Nexus 4 LTE model in tow
http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_5_to_be_priced_at_399_nexus_4_lte_model_in_tow-news-6982.php

$400 for the 16GB and $450 for the 32GB

I am on the fence now, due to the small battery the N5 will have, possibly leaning towards the G2 instead, with slightly better specs; 3,000mAh battery, bigger 5.2" screen, and the fast GRAM, out of contract price the G2 is just $125 more than the Nexus 5. And development is just starting to ramp up on the G2, with some good stock ROM's making the G2 even smoother, no bloat, and removing CIQ for even better battery life. Battery life on the G2 is said to rival or even beat the almighty Note 2.

If you don't mind using AT&T, you can pick up the G2 for $540 through their Next pricing, without signing a contract, as long as you pay in full and not enter a Next plan. So $540 for the G2 and 3,000mAh battery, or $450 for the Nexus 5.

Last edited:
If you don't mind using AT&T, you can pick up the G2 for $540 through their Next pricing, without signing a contract, as long as you pay in full and not enter a Next plan. So $540 for the G2 and 3,000mAh battery, or $450 for the Nexus 5.

How do you get Next pricing without getting a Next plan?

Damn good price. Especially (if by some sort of miracle) a Verizon version shows up.

After what happened with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, I really doubt you'll be seeing another Nexus phone though them. And if you do, I still wouldn't trust it to be a proper Nexus device.

After what happened with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, I really doubt you'll be seeing another Nexus phone though them. And if you do, I still wouldn't trust it to be a proper Nexus device.

With how phones on Verizon have been lately, I think people would buy it just for the easy to unlock bootloader.

Looking good :cool:

But still crying over the measly 2,300mAh battery :( When phones like the Motorola MAXX can fit in a massive 3,500mAh battery in a thin 8.5mm phone ( Nexus 5 is a hair thicker at 8.6mm, but half the size battery ) . The Motorola MAXX also has a 5" 1080p screen to.

Maxx is 720P. Same as rest of droids and Moto X.

Back