Nexus-Five thread

. However the hardware has generally (I think the Nexus One is an exception) been a disappointment.

Are you kidding me??? The N4 had damn impressive specs at the time it came out and was about as highend as you could get. It came with 2gb if ram, S4pro, IPS 720p display, a decent camera, decent battery life, and all for $350. Remember this phone has been out for almost a year now so it is not all that highend now... but when it came out it was about as highend as you could get.

Now on that note.... I will likely be skipping the N5 because I feel the N4 is still a pretty good phone and serves my needs well enough and don't see the need to buy a new phone

Are you kidding me??? The N4 had damn impressive specs at the time it came out and was about as highend as you could get. It came with 2gb if ram, S4pro, IPS 720p display, a decent camera, decent battery life, and all for $350. Remember this phone has been out for almost a year now so it is not all that highend now... but when it came out it was about as highend as you could get.

It did have high end specs, fair enough, though no LTE and a glass back (I'm still convinced they chose to ignore what Apple went through regarding all glass) meant it was a non-starter for some. If I remember correctly its specs matched the other high end flagships which released ~6 months earlier, phones like the One X. The price to me was more of a feat than anything else.

It did have high end specs, fair enough, though no LTE and a glass back (I'm still convinced they chose to ignore what Apple went through regarding all glass) meant it was a non-starter for some. If I remember correctly its specs matched the other high end flagships which released ~6 months earlier, phones like the One X. The price to me was more of a feat than anything else.

No, the N4 was one of the first, if not the first phone in the US to have the quad S4 Pro SoC, which destroys the previous gen dual-core S4 SoC found in the US One X and US GS3 and even the Tegra 3 in the international One X or the Exynos 4410 in the international GS3. The only thing that really gimped it in my book is the low internal storage options. I could easily live with HSPA+ since in some areas its just as fast as LTE, esp. on T-Mobile's 42 Mb/s HSPA+. Those specs coupled with a $300-$350 price made it a knockout, I think. Even with its somewhat dated hardware now, I wouldn't have hesitated to get one when they dropped to $200-$250 here recently, it's just too bad I can't use it on Verizon.

No, the N4 was one of the first, if not the first phone in the US to have the quad S4 Pro SoC, which destroys the previous gen S4 SoC found in the US One X and US GS3 and even the Tegra 3 in the international One X or the Exynos 4410 in the international GS3. The only thing that really gimped it in my book is the low internal storage options. I could easily live with HSPA+ since in some areas its just as fast as LTE, esp. on T-Mobile's 42 Mb/s HSPA+. Those specs coupled with a $300-$350 price made it a knockout, I think. Even with its somewhat dated hardware now, I wouldn't have hesitated to get one when they dropped to $200-$250 here recently, it's just too bad I can't use it on Verizon.

Good point. Maybe I'm just not attributing much importance to the additional processing power given that I'm still doing nothing with my phone that I couldn't/didn't do on my N1. I'm not trying to put down the Nexus 4, I think it's a good phone, I just don't think it was the whole package. Just to reiterate, it's still the only current Android phone that I feel comfortable recommending. Lack of LTE and the glass enclosure are issues though. I guess worst case scenario the N5 will be the N4+LTE-glass :)

Good point. Maybe I'm just not attributing much importance to the additional processing power given that I'm still doing nothing with my phone that I couldn't/didn't do on my N1. I'm not trying to put down the Nexus 4, I think it's a good phone, I just don't think it was the whole package. Just to reiterate, it's still the only current Android phone that I feel comfortable recommending. Lack of LTE and the glass enclosure are issues though. I guess worst case scenario the N5 will be the N4+LTE-glass :)

Yeah, I totally agree with the whole package thing. But I can argue that no phone has the "whole package", esp. any of the Nexus phones. They are all definitely missing some key feature or come up short in some areas;

Nexus 4: Low storage options, no LTE (officially - there are hacks for it, but it's glitchy at best), delicate glass back.
Galaxy Nexus: Low storage options (GSM), mediocre-at-best battery life (bad on CDMA/LTE), mediocre-at-best camera, sub-par display (low max brightness, bad ghosting and burn-in at lower brightness levels)
Nexus S: Low storage (though not way bad for its time), mediocre camera, lower res display (I think qHD had started getting popular around this time).
Nexus 1: Pretty much the only exception here; it was king for a while when it came out.

With as much crap OEMs are putting in their phones nowadays, it's hard to compete on every level. But it would be nice if they could nail down the fundamentals of a good phone; battery life, display, storage, camera, design/durability. Pick 2-3 of those and you pretty much have every Nexus phone so far.

But I can argue that no phone has the "whole package", esp. any of the Nexus phones. They are all definitely missing some key feature or come up short in some areas;

Agreed. As a GNex owner, I'd like to add "really shit plastic construction, feels cheap" to the list ;)

Expectations are getting revised lower for the Nexus 5 launch. I wonder what 'killer features' they'll stuff into kitkat...

I sound like a broken record here, but the Nexus phones have always been pretty close to top of the line hardware wise, when they are released, usually in the top 3 phones released each year, but have important features stripped off to keep costs down, but internal hardware they have always been top of the line at release.

- Nexus 5 = Top specs for an Android phone in 2013, besting the very popular Galaxy S4 and HTC One as far as hardware goes. Really only the Note 3 and maybe G2 being better in the internal hardware department.

- Nexus 4 = 2nd best Android hardware of 2012, only the Note 2 besting it, but the Nexus 4 was a notch above the top big sellers, Galaxy S3 and HTC One X last year, as far as internal hardware goes, and screen, the Nexus 4 was a top of the line phone.

- Galaxy Nexus = One of the first 720p HD displays on a phone, and using the TI processor was close to top of the line at release in Fall 2011.

My point is, the Nexus phones are released at a strange time of year in the Fall, being in the middle of Android hardware cycle. The next generation phones for the year are typically released in late Winter; Samsung Galaxy S phones, and HTC One series, and then in the Fall a revised Android line up typically comes out, mainly the Galaxy Note series, with top hardware specs.

So the Nexus 4 was released last Fall, and was the 2nd best Android hardware out that year, but then quickly overshadowed a few months later when Samsung announced their Galaxy S4 in February, and HTC came out with their One.

LG Nexus 5 price leaks; different battery size for each model
http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-N...different-battery-size-for-each-model_id48068

Before we head to the rumored prices, we should point out that our tipster informs us that there will be two different models based on the native storage. Each model will have a different capacity battery powering the phone.

With that in mind, we are told that the 16GB LG Nexus 5 will feature a 2300mAh battery and will be priced lock, stock and barrel for $299. The 32GB LG Nexus 5 will be powered by a 3000mAh cell and will be priced at $399.

Does this above rumor hold any truth to it ? For $399 a Nexus 5 with 32GB and 3,000mAh battery :eek::eek::eek: :D

Does this above rumor hold any truth to it ? For $399 a Nexus 5 with 32GB and 3,000mAh battery :eek::eek::eek: :D

ARG this is a rollercoaster of emotion hahaha

I'd absolutely pay $400, $500, even $600 for a device like that. I think $400 sounds ambitious, but I'm just excited that the 3000mAh battery may not be dead after all!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-N...different-battery-size-for-each-model_id48068

Before we head to the rumored prices, we should point out that our tipster informs us that there will be two different models based on the native storage. Each model will have a different capacity battery powering the phone.

With that in mind, we are told that the 16GB LG Nexus 5 will feature a 2300mAh battery and will be priced lock, stock and barrel for $299. The 32GB LG Nexus 5 will be powered by a 3000mAh cell and will be priced at $399.

Certainly IMHO justify the price increase of $100 from the base model, by also upgrading the battery. I guess not everyone can be like HTC where going from base 32 GB to 64 GB is only $50.

Certainly IMHO justify the price increase of $100 from the base model, by also upgrading the battery. I guess not everyone can be like HTC where going from base 32 GB to 64 GB is only $50.

Alex, I'll take bigger is better for $400 please.

If true I'm in for two of the $400 models of N5.

Shit, for $400 that should only be ~$16 a month through the TMobile thing.

I think I might hand my Nexus 4 over to my wife since shes still on an HD2 and grab the Nexus 5.

Shit, for $400 that should only be ~$16 a month through the TMobile thing.

I think I might hand my Nexus 4 over to my wife since shes still on an HD2 and grab the Nexus 5.

Eh, I wouldn't count on that. T-Mobile charged like $550+ for the Nexus 4, I think, even though it was $300-$350 in the Play Store.

I wouldn't really trust that phonearena leak about price till we have confirmation.

Its actually pretty sad that Android has by far the greatest concentration of high end superphones, yet they are all handicapped by oem skins, and this leads to people eagerly waiting for Nexus phones. Add the fact that Google is terrible at optimizing Android and the OS is still not as light or smooth as WP/iOS.

For me personally that type of battery increase would not have an actual significant usage impact so I'd be paying $100 essentially for more storage.

Its actually pretty sad that Android has by far the greatest concentration of high end superphones, yet they are all handicapped by oem skins, and this leads to people eagerly waiting for Nexus phones. Add the fact that Google is terrible at optimizing Android and the OS is still not as light or smooth as WP/iOS.

In general when looking at "all in one" type consumer devices I always get reminded why I like the self built PC. You really get a lot of personal control in tailoring the end device to what you what. Something you can't really do for instance with a phone or laptop.

So, will the N5 resolve the issues with USB OTG support? Will we finally get decent Bluetooth support with KitKat?

Hopefully the rumors are true and, Google release a Nexus 5 with the 3,000mAh battery for $400.

My next question is how the hell am I going to get one ? The Nexus 4 last year sold out in minutes, and took almost two and a half months to have good stock in again.

A Nexus 5 @ $400 with these beastly specs, will be the hottest Android device in history.

I really hope the rumor about Hangouts getting sms is true, and that its an apk fix, not tied to 4.4. If that actually works as well as iMessage it will be huge.

I really hope that hangouts stops sucking. Geeze they pulled a MS and have been doing that more and more lately. Took a decent product, stripped all the damn functionality out of it in order to push plus and have not bothered to add that function back in. I cant even figure out how to go invisible in hangouts. Cant figure out how to send SMS, or make calls. And half my list just disappeared.

I really, really hope this is true. For those specs, even someone as perpetually broke as me can manage to save up $399.

I really hope that hangouts stops sucking. Geeze they pulled a MS and have been doing that more and more lately. Took a decent product, stripped all the damn functionality out of it in order to push plus and have not bothered to add that function back in. I cant even figure out how to go invisible in hangouts. Cant figure out how to send SMS, or make calls. And half my list just disappeared.

Sadly I think the Hangouts team has very different idea of what IM is. The main goal is to make everyone join G+. They will keep trying.

I have a question since I don't think I saw this discussed as of yet......

I recall the Nexus 4 having some pretty crappy launch issues......Google running out of phones to sell and back orders up the wazoooo......

Will Google Play be the only place to buy this phone from?

I have a question since I don't think I saw this discussed as of yet......

I recall the Nexus 4 having some pretty crappy launch issues......Google running out of phones to sell and back orders up the wazoooo......

Will Google Play be the only place to buy this phone from?

Nexus 4 launch was a disaster last year. Not sure who was to blame ? Google or LG or both ? Out of stock almost immediately. And wasn't plentiful and available again until like 2-1/2 to 3 months later. I don't think LG is to blame, they just produced the amount Google placed orders for. Not LG's fault if the Nexus 4 was a hot seller and not enough made for sale, they were most likely going off quantities that Google told them to have ready ?

Most say it was Google who going off last several Nexus phone launches, which were actually very low quantity numbers, that Google told LG just to make like 200,000 or so at launch, based off the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus-S only selling like couple hundred thousand it's first couple of months. The history of Nexus phone sales, is very low, the Galaxy Nexus is said to have only sold like 800,000 to 1 million in it's entire 12 months.

But Google was shocked to see the demand for the Nexus 4 so great, was like 400,000 demand for orders it's first month, and they were blown away totally not expecting that. I think to date the Nexus 4 has sold around 3 million or so in it's 12 months, that is way way more than they ever expected. I think if you combined all sales of the Nexus One + Nexus-S + Galaxy Nexus, they wouldn't add up to the sales of just the Nexus 4.

Seems like people have finally caught onto the Nexus phone thing last year :)

So, saying all of that, hopefully Google learned a lesson, and understands the demand for the Nexus 5 will be pretty high. Especially rumored to be a Snapdragon 800 phone, with 5" 1080p screen + 3,000mAh battery + 32GB + LTE, all for only $400 :eek: :D :cool:. This phone will fly off the shelves so frigging fast, I see it doubling the sales of the Nexus 4.

So Many Ridiculous Nexus 5 Rumors Today…
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/08/so-many-ridiculous-nexus-5-rumors-today/

Sounds like the 3,000mAh battery option might be a faker :(

If it only has a 2,300mAh bad battery life on par with the HTC One or so, I will just get the G2 instead, root it, and install CM10.3. I want a phone I can hammer on all day long, and still have juice left for going out at night, and not having to baby the battery. Only phones that can confidently due that are the Androids with 3,000mAh + size batteries, like the Note 2, Note 3, Moto MAXX.

Last edited:
XDA Google Nexus 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

Hmm, XDA has the Nexus 5 forum up and running now, with spec's too and release date. How do they know this stuff ? And they typically don't open forums on XDA with detailed specs until official.

Specs
Phone
Android 4.4
Released 2013-10-15
2.30GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
3GB RAM
32GB ROM
8MP
LTE
4.95" - 1080x1920
2300mAh battery
139.5 grams
133.9 x 68.7 x 8.6 mm

XDA Google Nexus 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

Hmm, XDA has the Nexus 5 forum up and running now, with spec's too and release date. How do they know this stuff ? And they typically don't open forums on XDA with detailed specs until official.

Specs
Phone
Android 4.4
Released 2013-10-15
2.30GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
3GB RAM
32GB ROM
8MP
LTE
4.95" - 1080x1920
2300mAh battery
139.5 grams
133.9 x 68.7 x 8.6 mm
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2472232

They're basing it off the service manual

OK thanks, just didn't think XDA opened forums on a specific phone, until it was all but 99.99% official, and we still don't know 100% for certain yet, there still seems conflicting reports. 2GB ram vs 3GB ram. 2,300mAh battery or option for 3,000mAh size. Type of screen, is it officially like the G2's, or a cheaper variation. Thickness and weight of phone.

Oh well, I am already crying about the 3,000mAh not being real, that's a deal breaker for me, will force me to another phone with at least a 3,000mAh size battery, most likely the G2 or Z1.

Well besides the battery, it has a different panel, camera, casing and probably some other parts too. It really is just being compared to the G2 because of the S800.

And even with the reduced battery if that price is right its a very good deal.

Well besides the battery, it has a different panel, camera, casing and probably some other parts too. It really is just being compared to the G2 because of the S800.

And even with the reduced battery if that price is right its a very good deal.

But LG manufactures both the G2 and Nexus 5, so i am sure they will share more parts than just the Snapdragon 800. LG is a major display maker, so the screen will be an LG product too.

Interesting new icon for hangouts+messaging I guess. And if this is real, I'm glad they have kept dark theme for settings.

The whole thing looks flatter than it did in jelly bean - less 'chrome'.

I'm still surprised no word on when the event takes place, and nothing yet on features of kitkat..

lmao - you could have at least translated the title.

When translating the page, the site claims that there will be a 3000 mah battery and not 2300. I doubt it though

Well this may be me being too optimistic, but I could see Google offering the additional battery size with the additional storage. Create a lower cost, lower storage, lower battery size model to reach the most customers (given this is primarily sold unlocked), but offer a higher end model for those willing to pay for it. It seems to fit reasonably well with their MO. Who knows though...I'm just surprised we haven't heard a THING about invitations being sent out.

Back