Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

From what I remember of the vid Steve GN made 2 misstakes if you will

1 He orderd an open box item
2 He put tape over the original one so it looks like it was opened and resealed.

BTW that does not mean that Newegg is in the right but I can see how these things happen as a result of Murphy's law.

Do any of you guys packaged and record you doing so for everything you ship out/receive? I recently had an issue through aliexpress where the seller sold me a bunch of used PSUs and two of them broke and he tried to pull the "customer need to send video of opening package and showing items defective".

I just uploaded a video of the power supplies not working and the scratch/used condition and thankfully their dispute system is pretty good / had common sense and gave me my refund without sending anything back. I guess it helps aliexpress is much bigger than newegg and would compare more to something like amazon where they don't need to act shady like the egg.

From what I remember of the vid Steve GN made 2 misstakes if you will
1 He ordered from newegg something that wasn't a graphics card.
2 He orderd an open box item
3 He put tape over the original one so it looks like it was opened and resealed.

BTW that does not mean that Newegg is in the right but I can see how these things happen as a result of Murphy's law.
FTFY

It’s amazing how you can basically be handed a company with all the great reputation you could ever ask for … and then completely take a hot steaming crap all over it.
So true, so true. Newegg was once one of the great companies out there. My Go To (and only) source for all my builds, CPUs, RAM, drives, displays, routers, cables, you name it. Prices were always great, and so was the RMA service.

But we have all seen this movie before. Some American company with a great brand, but not doing well financially, is acquired by some foreign buyer. Over time, the foreign buyer replaces the original company's hardware with its own, inferior hardware, or changes all the sales policies that made the old company great. For a while, they can coast along on the strength of their reputation. But not forever. Now I wonder if Newegg will even be around in 2-3 years

In a way, for me, it's sad. I used to be a Newegg guy all the way, so I didn't have to spend time on different websites. But that was so 2015.

Anybody remember Fry's Electronics in the era before online stores?

The biggest issue with motherboards and has been forever is the boxes are not sealed. There is usually tape on the excess bag flapped over but that can easily be removed and replaced.
The higher end boards aren't even in any static bags at all, just sitting neatly inside the box with clear hard plastic over them and fitted nicely so they won't move around in transport. Great for presentation/display but horrible for integrity / anti tampering.

Point is something shipped as "new" may not be new at all and if returned without even looking at the contents to the RMA department they point the finger at the last person that had it in their hands. No tracing for accountability.

Perhaps the sellers should check their boards, place a seal over the box indicating it was quality checked and then shrink wrap it professionally. May cut down on this nonsense!

So true, so true. Newegg was once one of the great companies out there. My Go To (and only) source for all my builds, CPUs, RAM, drives, displays, routers, cables, you name it. Prices were always great, and so was the RMA service.

But we have all seen this movie before. Some American company with a great brand, but not doing well financially, is acquired by some foreign buyer. Over time, the foreign buyer replaces the original company's hardware with its own, inferior hardware, or changes all the sales policies that made the old company great. For a while, they can coast along on the strength of their reputation. But not forever. Now I wonder if Newegg will even be around in 2-3 years

In a way, for me, it's sad. I used to be a Newegg guy all the way, so I didn't have to spend time on different websites. But that was so 2015.

Anybody remember Fry's Electronics in the era before online stores?
Yep.... I was a newegg guy for a very, very long time. Then pre-covid, Amazon customer service was great. Post COVID. I'm just buying as much of my stuff from Microcenter as possible now. Support that last great bastion of retail.

RIP Frys

No issues so far with NewEgg, bought at least $20,000+ if not $30,000 from them through the years. Bought two open box motherboards, one never posted and got a replacement which failed in like 10 days -> got refunded. Last year bought a BioStar B550 open box, still running perfect today. Got a 3080Ti at MSRP - $5 (coupon I think for the slight discount) last year. Hard to say no to a store that has been so good to ya over the years, their site is one if not the best for finding something using a search. Until I get shafted by them or they are totally unreasonable, I will most likely buy more stuff from them. Still I am ending up getting more and more stuff from Amazon as well as from BB, do like BB store front where you have actual people you can talk to for a possible return.

I guess videoing opening a box etc. maybe will become more and more important in getting a refund or a charge back with your credit card company if it comes to that.

Honestly NE proabably never examined it just missed the bent pin from the original return before it became a open box item. Hell I went to MC years ago to buy a open box x299 board. I looked over it before buying it Infront of the pickup window and saw the socket covered in thermal paste and a bunch of pins totally smashed. Everything that came with the MB was missing including the IO shield. I asked how did you guys accept this as a return? He couldn't answer me. I am not defending NE but I have a hard time believing a company would be purposefully breaking MB. They did drop the ball with how they treated GN.

Agreed. However, Newegg was doing well before they were bought out. They tried to launch an IPO, but it was right after the economy tanked from the real estate market - worst time to launch IPOs. Owner possibly just wanted to cash out. He temporarily stepped down right before the IPO attempt was made (2008). Then resumed CEO role and withdrew IPO.
Wikipedia said:
On September 28, 2009, Newegg Inc filed for an IPO (initial public offering) with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The filing stated that Newegg has been profitable every year since 2001 and generated sales of $2.1 billion in 2008. The company's largest outside shareholder is New York-based venture-capital firm Insight Venture Partners. The IPO was managed by JP Morgan, Bank of America, Merrill Lynch and Citi.[40] In 2011, the company withdrew its registration for filing for an IPO, saying it would continue to explore alternative options for funding.

Last edited:
Welp, just bought the stuff for my 12th gen system. Didn't buy much (only around $700) but I didn't buy a single item from NewEgg for the first time in 15 years that I've been their customer and it feels really fucking good.

Thanks for letting me use your site to find stuff to buy elsewhere, though!

That's pretty damning. Either their RMA/returns process is mismanaged to that extreme of a level, or they are intentionally reselling stuff they know is broke for profit.

I knew Newegg has been bad for years, but after seeing this I won't ever use them again. Period.

The question not asked in that video is if they double-dipped on that motherboard as well. If that board was returned to Newegg initially damaged by some idiot customer, I doubt they returned the money on that order. So they took a board with a ruined socket, tried to get Gigabyte to fix it (They didn't), and sold it again as open-box. Dumb part is that Newegg could have paid the $100 to have Gigabyte fix the socket, and could have re-sold this thing for a healthy profit still since they already kept the money of the original order.

Last edited:
That RMA label from Gigabyte is the smoking gun IMO. Was sent back to Newegg from Gigabyte with the broken socket before Steve even ordered the thing. There is no way Newegg missed the socket damage AND the RMA refusal AND the big ass label on the motherboard.

That RMA label from Gigabyte is the smoking gun IMO. Was sent back to Newegg from Gigabyte with the broken socket before Steve even ordered the thing. There is no way Newegg missed the socket damage AND the RMA refusal AND the big ass label on the motherboard.
They never looked at it and stuck it back on the shelf to be sold. I would think if they actually looked at it then they would of removed the label before sending it.

Like most big companies they'll use the excuse of Covid or holiday madness.

They never looked at it and stuck it back on the shelf to be sold. I would think if they actually looked at it then they would of removed the label before sending it.
That box was never opened since coming back from Gigabyte until Steve opened it.

Uh, doesn't that depend on who is the actual seller? Some of the sellers on Amazon are probably worse than Newegg.
Not if you only filter by Amazon warehouse, same as buying open box from Newegg and not a marketplace seller.

Didn't Gigabyte have their system ransomwared and lost most if not all RMA data a couple months ago? Think I heard Jay2cents say something about it. Could lead to some pretty interesting situations.

Found it https://cybernews.com/editorial/gigabyte-fell-victim-to-ransomware-twice-what-can-we-learn-from-it/

I bought an open box motherboard last year from Newegg. I knew the board was open box and would likely not have all of the accessories. I received a physically damaged and non-functional motherboard. The board was missing ALL accessories. It was missing motherboard screws to hold the M.2 covers in place and the mounting hardware for the CPU cooler as well. I emailed MSI and explained the situation. MSI issued an RMA. I sent the board in and they repaired it at no cost to me. Newegg should not had listed the motherboard in the first place.

Now some poor EMPLOYEE will get canned..just so NEW EGG can have a Fall Guy for the SCAM they are running.

I Will NEVER use NEW SCAM (EGG) again. They were a good company before they got purcased by a over seas company.

Linus just covered the second video on The Wan Show and talked with Paul from Paul's Hardware live,

Personally I love this. Newegg burned me on a DOA hard drive 7 or 8 years ago and I've not bought from them since.... Except for my 3070 which I had to give in and use the Newegg Shuffle.

I ordered a Seagate hard drive for a friend's build, retail version but they sent me just the HDD, out of the box and wrapped in bubble wrap. I didn't think too much about it and installed it but it was DOA. I tried to get an exchange, not a refund, but they denied it for "bent pins".... On a hard drive! I asked for an in-store credit but they flat refused. So they robbed me of $150.

I'm so glad to see a little justice come their way because they've been doing this crap for at least a decade.

Personally I love this. Newegg burned me on a DOA hard drive 7 or 8 years ago and I've not bought from them since.... Except for my 3070 which I had to give in and use the Newegg Shuffle.
From the RMA/Vendor side, I would totally understand there being a higher level of scrutiny for things like motherboards and GPU's because I do feel there is a higher probably of user caused damage during assembly/disassembly.

But denying a hard drive? That's crazy, you can't really brick a hard drive. I've had used hard drives at work and personally that are slung around and stacked without bags, pulled out of cases that were roughly transported, really neglected, and they still work. It's hard to negligently kill a hard drive.

So I while I don't understand the details of your situation, a hard drive is one of the last items I would imagine them dinging a customer on.

I used to buy from Newegg a lot years ago, but have slowed down buying from them considerably. Seems like some shady practices lately from trusted vendors which is a shame.

I ordered a Seagate hard drive for a friend's build, retail version but they sent me just the HDD, out of the box and wrapped in bubble wrap. I didn't think too much about it and installed it but it was DOA. I tried to get an exchange, not a refund, but they denied it for "bent pins".... On a hard drive! I asked for an in-store credit but they flat refused. So they robbed me of $150.

I'm so glad to see a little justice come their way because they've been doing this crap for at least a decade.
It takes real cohones to reject an RMA claim over bent pins on a disk drive. That has to be a management policy, that is, we screw the customer if we can.

Makes me all pissed off, even though it wasn't me.

From the RMA/Vendor side, I would totally understand there being a higher level of scrutiny for things like motherboards and GPU's because I do feel there is a higher probably of user caused damage during assembly/disassembly.

But denying a hard drive? That's crazy, you can't really brick a hard drive. I've had used hard drives at work and personally that are slung around and stacked without bags, pulled out of cases that were roughly transported, really neglected, and they still work. It's hard to negligently kill a hard drive.

So I while I don't understand the details of your situation, a hard drive is one of the last items I would imagine them dinging a customer on.

I went back and dug up the email, they said "broken sata connector with bent pins which was beyond repair. The damage possibly occurred from improper installation."

This was back in 2014 but when I got it back I didn't see the SATA connector broke and definitely didn't see any bent pins. I argued with them a couple times but got nowhere and just gave up.

And again, I bought the retail version, not OEM but it was sent as a bare drive, no box and simply wrapped in bubble wrap. I have no doubt it was a dead HDD they were wanting to unload and they did the same thing to me that they did to GN..... And this was in 2014 when they robbed me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-173444_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20220213-173444_Email.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, they've been awful for years. As much as I hate Amazon, I have to say, the return/replacement policy through them is far more hassle free.

Yeah, they've been awful for years. As much as I hate Amazon, I have to say, the return/replacement policy through them is far more hassle free.
This is an unforced error by Newegg that will probably damage their future profits for like years and years. And to think that once I had blind faith and trust in Newegg. A stupid, shortsighted error by people who shouldn't be running a business.

Reactions: c3k
like this
That's pretty damning. Either their RMA/returns process is mismanaged to that extreme of a level, or they are intentionally reselling stuff they know is broke for profit.

Ding ding ding...winner winner chicken dinner.

I guess this is simply part of the rise / fall cycle that inevitably happens to many an excellent company.

It wasn't too long ago that there were companies that were top notch, and they fell into complete disarray for some reason or another. In this day and age, no company is "too big to fail."

Most of us here remember the tragic case of Monarch Computers, where they were once among the top tier of quality and customer service, but crumbled as they basically gave up.

https://hardforum.com/threads/monarch-computer-bites-the-dust.1132728/

While some of Newegg's situation can be blamed on the supply side issue, the fact remains that the quality of their customer service has gone down significantly ever since they were bought out by a foreign entity.

I just hope that they don't go under like many a formerly great company.

Frys was king of shrinking wrapping any returns and reshelving though.
That is true. But you could easily spot those rubber skin terminators and look at the next item. Fry's was local, easy and convenient. I shouldn't complain as I have a Microcenter 30 mins away, but Fry's was close and huge and you can even get lunch while you were there. I miss the Fry's of my youth.

That is true. But you could easily spot those rubber skin terminators and look at the next item. Fry's was local, easy and convenient. I shouldn't complain as I have a Microcenter 30 mins away, but Fry's was close and huge and you can even get lunch while you were there. I miss the Fry's of my youth.
I too miss the Frys of my youth. That's not the Frys before they died.

At least (humor ahead) you can still get food at Frys.

frys-market.jpeg

Back