Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

Got it. NewEgg is better because they don't charge sales tax.
More like I've been lucky and they've been forced to improve because they are about to have to charge sales tax everywhere. I'm getting my tax free buys in while I can. :) I'll buy from whoever has the best price if I think I won't end up stuck with something I don't want. Newegg has never stuck me with anything I don't want. If they did I'd be mad. But if you aren't even willing to elaborate on what Newegg did (and I have no doubt someone did something legitimately shitty to you) I'm certainly not willing to be mad on your behalf.

Now the OP sit-rep. That pissed me off. If you have a story about NE being douches, bring it, that's what this thread is for. I just haven't got one really. I haven't got one about Amazon, either, mind you. They are more "happy customer" oriented but buying lots of stuff from both you find they both have their moments occasionally. I also buy crap from aaawave, ncix, xoxide, and wherever else I can find a good deal. There's no denying Newegg was doing a lot of RMA fraud there for a while. But no orders ever lost, not in stock, backorder, broken or DOA items, AND I've RMAd a buncha stuff for minor reasons and they have all gone fine for me recently and for a sustained period now.

Does anyone else feel like they should go back to the old design of having pins on the CPU? They are much harder to bend, and are also MUCH easier to straighten if you were to bend them by accident.

I too had issues with NewEgg where they claimed I bent pins, which I straitened out. I since only purchase motherboards from Microcenter.

I used to spend $1.5k- $3k a year at the egg building new gaming rigs/ purchasing monitors, they were fantastic.
Got so many freebies like alarm clocks, pencil holders and nice glass paperweights, and they always had great prices.
I stopped purchasing from them when I got screwed out of rebates, newegg said it was the manufacturer's fault, the manufacturer said it was newegg's.
Its so sad to see them go bad.
*sigh*

Does anyone else feel like they should go back to the old design of having pins on the CPU?
Funny you should say that. This is all I knew of CPUs my entire life; it wasn't until Sandy Bridge (2011) that I switched to Intel and was presented with the LGA socket and no pins on the CPU anymore. Hell, current AMD CPUs still don't use LGA, do they?

I find it easier to not damage them since, well, the chances of you dropping a motherboard or it falling off something are much, much lower than a tiny CPU; which I have done. (Fell off a heatsink that was on a shelf above me while I was taking it down. Completely forgot it was on it, huge smash, some pins broke off. AMD 64 4400+ or something that I was selling and had to refund the guy.)

Pins on board = better ease of lapping ;).

Whenever I rma a board I include a cropped pic of the motherboard and today's paper. I take pics of the box and shipping process, and it going into the slot. You'd be surprised how often I've had to bust them out.

Whenever I rma a board I include a cropped pic of the motherboard and today's paper. I take pics of the box and shipping process, and it going into the slot. You'd be surprised how often I've had to bust them out.

Sorry for the necro but this is exactly what I shouldve done. Im the latest person to be burned by this bullshit. I bought a WD 1TB hard drive for a friend's build. Mobo wouldnt detect it even though it would spin up. Took it out and checked it and nothing looked wrong on the outside. Tried different SATA ports and a different SATA cable. Finally gave up and RMA'd it. They denied it claiming the SATA connector was BROKEN with BENT PINS due to IMPROPER INSTALLATION. I called and raised a little hell and they said theyd look into it. That was Friday. Today (Wednesday) after not hearing back, I call them again. Well, too late, theyve already shipped it out. I argue with them (this is my 1st return in the 6 years Ive been a customer) and they finally say the best they can do is give me a in store credit minus a restocking fee. Oh and Ill have to pay for shipping to send the hard drive back once I get it. So yeah, about $15 Id get out of it. I told them to stick it up their asses (politely, the customer service girl sounded hot). Fuck them. I shouldve heeded all the warnings. I will give up PC gaming altogether before I buy another thing from them. Count me as the newest member of the Fuck Newegg club.

So apparently this crap is still going on with newegg?

If so I'm either going direct to manufacturer or to Amazon....

Don't these idiots realize they are killing their own business with BS tactics like this?

Don't these idiots realize they are killing their own business with BS tactics like this?

yeah switch to amazon, everything is greener on that side of the fence.... untill you get someone else's return with their rma label, or you pay for 1 day shipping and ships ground, or they don't ship it till 2 days after you order....

All companies have issues, amazon has actually given me more issues than newegg. Only ever had to return 2 items to newegg and it wasn't neweggs fault on the items and return went flawless.

Amazon has given me much more hassle, I shop where its cheapest.

yeah switch to amazon, everything is greener on that side of the fence.... untill you get someone else's return with their rma label, or you pay for 1 day shipping and ships ground, or they don't ship it till 2 days after you order....

All companies have issues, amazon has actually given me more issues than newegg. Only ever had to return 2 items to newegg and it wasn't neweggs fault on the items and return went flawless.

TBH in the last year or so I've ordered from newegg 4 times and zero problems. I've ordered probably closer to 50 things from amazon easily in that same time frame and I've had 3 items that were late, and one items that was really really late and very badly packaged.

Never had that happen and I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. Shipments have missed the estimated date sometimes but very rarely, and you if talk to CS they usually are willing to refund shipment or give you a promo credit.

I did give Newegg quite a bit of business too, up until recently, when they claimed I bent the CPU pins on a motherboard that was already damaged (noticed capacitors that were popped off when I opened it.) It was my first return in SIX years, they weren't willing to take my word for it, and refunded me back 50% only.

You are definitely right all companies have issues, but that they weren't willing to budge after 6 years of shopping there without a single incident really irked me. I tried reasoning with them but the CS rep was extremely rude and just kept restating the company polices. If I fought it more I probably could have gotten a full refund in the end - but it was honestly not worth the hassle, decided to move on and never shop there again. I'll be shocked if I ever end up running into a situation like this with Amazon.

Bumping as a reminder to everyone.

Yes, they are still doing this.
Just happened to my friend today.

I was just thinking of placing an order for a new build at Newegg because Amazon just started charging sales tax for me. But then I started looking at reviews for the motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132260

DOAs I can understand. It happens. But the reviews that really worry me are those saying they received an obviously opened product, or the people that had Newegg replace the board only to get the same one back.

Really a shame how things have gone downhill there.

After ordering 3 motherboards, and not using a single one, or opening it, NE tried to blame me on bent pins on one of them. Luckily they did a one time courtesy return through a manager. Needless to say I never purchased a single motherboard from NE again. If you are lucky enough to have a Fry's or a Microcenter, get it there instead. Often times you get a better deal with a CPU as well.

I've learned that all companies do stupid things like this. The best way to with it is to rip them a new one on some social media site. I had AT&T completely destroy the micro-usb charger port on a S4 that was getting warrantied. They sent it back saying I sent it in that way and I was on the hook for $470. Their main CS was useless and rehashed company policies.

After some social media bashing, one of their social media managers credited my account for the replacement phone. It's really disgusting what some of the companies will do and usually get away with. Definitely take pictured before you send anything back. I almost learned that the hard way.

Just wanna let everyone know this is still happening. They're claiming I damaged a 6700k now. You would think I would've learned my lesson last time.

Just wanna let everyone know this is still happening. They're claiming I damaged a 6700k now. You would think I would've learned my lesson last time.

I wonder if you have the new newegg premier subscription if they do this. They claim they have better support and other stuff.

Do you have newegg premier? Do they do this to people that don't now?

I wonder if you have the new newegg premier subscription if they do this. They claim they have better support and other stuff.

Do you have newegg premier? Do they do this to people that don't now?

No premier but that's a good question. But wait a minute you just reminded that I bought the insurance this time for this reason. 0_0

Are there any decent places to buy PC hardware online while living in the continental US aside from Newegg and Amazon?

Newegg has been crappy for this reason and a few others for the past few years, and I did buy some stuff from Amazon and overall they were bad experiences. Newegg was pretty good to me for a long, long, long time so it sucks that I won't shop there anymore. Any suggestions?

Why would you return a 6700K? CPUs are nearly indestructible.

Last edited:
Why would you return a 6700K? CPUs are nearly indestructible.

I wasn't sure which had an issue. I didn't have another motherboard or cpu to try so I sent both back. My mistake.

Just got off the phone with them and they are offering me 50% back LOL. Unreal.

I wasn't sure which had an issue. I didn't have another motherboard or cpu to try so I sent both back. My mistake.

Just got off the phone with them and they are offering me 50% back LOL. Unreal.

Newegg has a replacement only policy for cpus and no refunds. Are you requesting a refund instead of replacement?

Newegg has a replacement only policy for cpus and no refunds. Are you requesting a refund instead of replacement?

Replacement. Claiming I damaged the CPU using the Asus CPU Install Tool. Is that even possible using the install tool? I asked for pictures of the damage and they said they would send them but I still haven't received them yet.

I replaced a 6700k with a slight nick in it and I had zero problems. But I am a premier member. I can't even count how many items I've returned and zero problems. I highly recommend just paying up and getting premier.

Replacement. Claiming I damaged the CPU using the Asus CPU Install Tool. Is that even possible using the install tool? I asked for pictures of the damage and they said they would send them but I still haven't received them yet.

the Asus tool is awesome, that's ridiculous.

hmm, im about to order a case from them. I was considering an open box mobo as well, but i think i will just stick with the case now.

Some of you guys saying, "I've returned a ton of things....", why are you returning so much merchandise?

I've been shopping with Newegg almost since they started, prolly 30G or more in total.
Have had very few problems in all that time. Yes, a few returns in all that time, but not many.

You can't return piles of parts and expect no issues with that.

Also, on any given day Newegg gets both returns with nothing at all wrong with them and
also many customer damaged parts. It's a huge expense for them to deal with all of that.

I'm sure Newegg (like most good retailers) is happy to help with genuinely defective merchandise.
But it's really a strain on them to deal with so many people abusing their generous RMA policy.

Last edited:
Some of you guys saying, "I've returned a ton of things....", why are you returning so much merchandise?

I've been shopping with Newegg almost since they started, prolly 30G or more in total.
Have had very few problems in all that time. Yes, a few returns in all that time, but not many.

Also, on any given day Newegg gets both returns with nothing at all wrong with them and
also many customer damaged parts. It's a huge expense for them to deal with all of that.

I'm sure Newegg (like most good retailers) is happy to help with genuinely defective merchandise.
But it's really a strain on them to deal with so many people abusing their generous RMA policy.

I think its a combo of bad habits on both ends and the market in general. Amazon has instilled the virtues of try and return merchandise without any reprecussions, while Newegg has instilled upon certain customers that they can always fall back on UID Denials.

Post the pics when you get them :)

I replaced a 6700k with a slight nick in it and I had zero problems. But I am a premier member. I can't even count how many items I've returned and zero problems. I highly recommend just paying up and getting premier.

That's not a good business... "buy our service or we'll damage your stuff and give you hell"?...

I didn't want to return a bunch of things to Newegg, it just happened.

I tried a few gaming monitors and all had major issues.

Plus, I had a nightmare Skylake build where it turned out that my processor was the problem. Figured that out AFTER replacing multiple sets of ram and swapping out mobos. Trust me, that was NOT fun. Who would have thought that I had a 6700k that is UNSTABLE at Stock with 4 sticks of RAM. Seriously, I never would have dreamed that. Finally in desperation I swapped out the 6700k and no more problems. I went from unstable at stock to a 4.7 OC. Worst and most frustrating build I ever had by a mile.

Even though the premier membership removes return costs and obstacles, I certainly didn't intend for that to happen.

By the way, I'm no newbie. My nightmare Skylake build was my SECOND 6700k build (and probably my 8th overall PC build). I earlier built a 6700k HTPC where I only ended up swapping out the RAM (like a lot of people ended up doing). Anyway, Newegg accepted a bunch of returns to me with zero issues AND paid return shipping. I'm guessing things would have been different without Premier.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a good business... "buy our service or we'll damage your stuff and give you hell"?...

Well, the language in Premier basically gives you carte blanche for returns. I definitely get the feeling that regular returns are more scrutinized.

We SHOULD mention it's becoming very difficult to shop at Amazon without Prime. So yeah, all these companies want you to buy the membership.

Yea this is my second Skylake build as well. Very weird. Still no email with the pictures of damage. Interesting huh?

It's too bad you don't have video of it undamaged going into the box and being sealed for return.
Try buying from Amazon, I have never had any question with any return from them, they will usually refund the money before the item is even sent back.

I originally posted in January 2013, re a New Egg declined RMA for a defective mother board, and since then have built three more systems for friends, and not a single item purchased from New Egg, nor will I ever.

Also as a reminder, assuming you pay for your M/B with a Credit Card or PayPal, you can file a claim, stating that you received a defective item and refund/replacement not offered by the merchant. There is a good chance that the CCC or PayPal will charge back the merchant, in this case, New Egg. Worth a try.

I used to shop at Newegg a lot but I have not done any major upgrades since my 2600k / GTX780s

I'd like to consider buying from them but all of these stories about "damage" have me too freaked out to risk it. I don't even return stuff unless it's defective, but I don't want to risk getting the shaft when I buy $800 worth of mobo/CPU - no way.

I wonder if, as stupid as this sounds, their RMA department has a quota where their employees get a bonus for denying a certain amount of returns. Or worse, their management outright tells them to deny a certain amount.

Sad part is, GN was never in danger of not getting their refund. Their platform will always win out. But it's the people who don't have a Million followers that get screwed. I hope GN lights them up in a video.

Back