Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

Interesting, it appears the problem continues unabated--it also appears Universal Robotics is a neighbor of mine here in Nashville. What a small world! Maybe we Nashvillians just have a chronic problem with dropping large rocks/running power tools/small children onto CPU sockets?

Last edited:
This is really ridiculous. How can such a distinguished company let this just go? They're going to lose a lot of business after more people find out about this.

Reading thru this I am shocked at the way they have handled this. I stopped buying from them when there policies seemed to get very unfriendly to the customer. I always knew NEVER to buy refurbished from them got burned every time but reading this has sealed it for this consumer. I try to buy local or from amazon. Luckily I have a Microcenter, Fry’s and CompUSA within driving distance. When working on customer machines or my own I don’t have time for that kind of crap. Need to be able to get a quick replacement or return for different item esp. with customers machines. I do Hundreds to thousands of dollars in parts buying and this has made my decision to shop elsewhere very easy. Good luck to you

I thInk a few of you need to call your state attorney and setup a sting. That's how you prove it. Have the police witness the packaging and controlled delivery and catch newegg red handed and get nailed to the wall for it.

Which totally sucks because newegg used to be the place to go, and now it's a wasteland with a good search engine.

Aseras - I think the police have enough on their plates with things like thugs and drugs and terrorists to care about Newegg. If you think (and can prove) this is a widespread problem, start calling the newspapers and television and news media.

You would be surprised. The police could care less but the state attorneys live for this stuff.

wow, I remember when I wished for NE to come to Canada, I've never had this sort of thing happen with NCI X or Canada computers.

Too bad that NE customer service went down the drain.

You would be surprised. The police could care less but the state attorneys live for this stuff.

If you take the hundred people (if that) who have complained and spread that out over the country I think the 2-5 people/state (depending on distribution of people) would be quite a bit less. If anything, you would have to prove end-to-end chain of custody person to person to even show where it happened.

What a coincident. I had this same exact issue on the week when Ivy Bridge came out. Received Z77 Asrock Extreme4 motherboard. Everything worked except two memory slots. Everything looked fine before I packed it up, then suddenly a week later I get a email saying I damaged the CPU pins. I did some research and some people did have pictures before sending it, but it still didn't help them.

It's been almost 3 weeks (email said may take up to 10 days) and I still haven't got my motherboard back. If I don't get a reply from them or receive it by this Thursday, I'm gonna file a BBB complaint. If that doesn't work out, then I'm gonna file a charge back with my bank and could care less if they suspend my account. My patience grows thin after the estimated time. Never again would I buy a motherboard from Newegg.

Post the link to this discussion on the H too, that might get their attention. We here at the H have serious word of mouth creds.

Same thing happened with my last motherboard I bought from newegg, they claimed cpu pin damage by me. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a new one at fry's and won't be doing business with newegg any longer.

I fear I have the same story to share. RMA'ed my board and got bent pins denial.
At this point the only excuse you have for shoping at NE is the fact you don't know this is going on.
Good luck NE. No more $$$ from me.
Macro

Have you tried small claims court? I'm sure if you win, it'd be a win for all the customers but it'd just be costly. But from things I've read, I think you can do an appearance by phone in California so might be worth a shot.

You should also put a post on the newegg board on resellerratings.com which they tend to take more seriously than forum posts.

I'm flabbergasted this is still going on. Someone needs to class action lawsuit this up immediately.

I wonder if anyone out there has successfully returned a motherboard without issue?

We are only hearing from a small sample of people, but it seems pretty consistent.

I'm flabbergasted this is still going on. Someone needs to class action lawsuit this up immediately.

I highly doubt any lawyer would take this on a class basis ... Nowhere near enough clients to make the kind of money they need to take in.

Edit: Company RMA practices should be reevaluated completely.

I've always had good experiences with Newegg (with the exception of 1 bad one).

The bad - received an AMD CPU with a few bad pins. Since Newegg said it's up the the vendor to take care of it, I called AMD & they replaced it w/o any hassle. Overall painless but still an issue that seems to occur with CPUs & Mobos from them.

The good - I was visiting my uncle, who lived in the San Fran area at the time, during my vacation from USAF duty in South Korea. I really wanted to get the brand new EVGA 8800GTX, so my uncle ordered it for me (paid him back, too) but my time was limited before I had to back to SK. He called them up after the order was placed & they wiling expedited the order w/o an extra charge. I was really glad with their customer service.

I'm wondering what has happened to the old school Newegg I once knew. :confused:

At this time, there is no issue or quarrel from me with Newegg. I just hope that they continue to be awesome. My last order was quite recent & all was well.

Last edited:
I'm really crossing my fingers on this. Just ordered a whole PC last night from Egg w/o seeing this thread.

I thInk a few of you need to call your state attorney and setup a sting. That's how you prove it. Have the police witness the packaging and controlled delivery and catch newegg red handed and get nailed to the wall for it.

Which totally sucks because newegg used to be the place to go, and now it's a wasteland with a good search engine.

You'd probably get more action from an investigative reporter. More publicity too.

I haven't bought newegg in a while. Most recently a combo "deal" they had was no deal so I bought from Amazon, and as for the other items I was looking for, I got better prices (and packaging) from a more local online vendor - thanks to a heads-up from a fellow [H] member.

I wonder if anyone out there has successfully returned a motherboard without issue?

We are only hearing from a small sample of people, but it seems pretty consistent.

Not recently, but back when my Asus P6T Deluxe was brand-new (like 3+ years ago I guess) I had to send it back for some reason. Got a replacement just fine.

This seems like a more recent issue, though, so my experience probably isn't applicable.

I has an ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Professional, damaged by Newegg same issue. Not happy at all, just going to move my business to Amazon.

The same thiing happened to me with RMA from neweg after returing a p8z77-v deluxe, said bent pins on cpu socket, The only thing i was returning it for was an intel chip problem never bent a pin ever. Will no longer RMA anything to newegg ever again. If they are not reputiable the will never buy from them also and will let all of my freinds know what they are doing.

Seems like we're seeing more stories about this type of behavior every day. While I'm sorry for all the trouble my fellow [H] members are experiencing, I'm glad I posted about my issue and started this discussion. I felt very helpless while searching on Google re: this issue when my trouble first started. There were no comprehensive threads like this out there, just blurbs here and there that suggested a growing problem with Newegg RMAs.

FYI, this thread is now showing up on Page 1 Google searches for "Newegg RMA Motherboard", so maybe more folks will be able to find some support as Newegg continues this shady practice.

For those dealing with this same situation, posting an honest, detailed account of your experience on Reseller Ratings AND Newegg's Facebook page seems to be the best way to get a response from someone internally who can actually address your issue. Just make sure you post a VERY detailed account of the entire process and exactly what the Newegg reps told you.

Same thing happened to me earlier this year, only they claimed the ram slot was damaged rather than the cpu pins. They took care of it well enough however, I just had to go on live chat with them.

well that sucks for you though if they've break it for free..You should find another repair man..

I am seriously going to take my business elsewhere. It took them 14 business days to SHIP my motherboard back. Probably 15 since all I got so far was an invoice about it. Why did it have to take that long to ship it? Doesn't make any sense. They obviously aren't going to fix it. I'm afraid that they probably did more damage to it if it's just been sitting around for those 14 days + weekends. Now it's probably going to take another 5-10 days. :mad:

Now I'm just really pissed off and felt like I should just do a charge back and refuse delivery. I could care less they suspend my account any more. They should have just given me a refund and not waste both our times, but I guess they don't care.

Advice: Got an issue with a mobo from Newegg? Call the manufacture so you don't waste your time and pay money to fix the pins. Ridiculous.

EDIT: Just left a reseller rating review and facebook status. I left a status last month and see it on their timeline page. Now they are going to see another one from me.

Last edited:
that sucks man. I think i'm going to start shopping elsewhere too when I can. I just returned an asus 690 to them cause they sold me a used one and charged me full price. I sent it back and they charge me shipping. Not only am I out a card, but $8 bucks shipping and about a week of wasted time dealing with this crap.

I really liked newegg when they opened, but recently (past few years) when I receive a package from the NJ warehouse both the packing material used and the packing job itself is HORRIBLE. Really now, a motherboard sitting unprotected (no packing material between it and the box) at the bottom of a box with a power supply, ram and cpu all also in the box with paper based packing material isn't cutting it.

Not trying to tell newegg to go out and fire the guys in the warehouse for the sub-poor packing jobs. I simply think they need some training to improve it. Should go at the very least like so "Packing material -> Product -> packing material". Don't leave any airspace between the product, packing material and the box. This will insure products arrive undamaged.

I've tried calling customer service about this however nothing has been done to improve packing from the NJ warehouse. The CA newegg warehouse seems to always do a great job packing.

Okay, well I got a call personally from someone working at Newegg after they read my reseller ratings review. The person was able to issue me a refund like I had originally wanted 3 weeks ago. Haven't gotten it yet, so I'm waiting until I get that refund before I change the review.

Too bad I had to leave a negative review to get someone else's attention. Really didn't want that. Since I'm getting the refund and this matter seems to have settle down for me, I will still buy from Newegg, but not motherboards unless they are the only ones on the internet selling it because I don't want to take a chance risk having to go through this whole process again.

The person said I can contact them at any time if I run into a similar issue, but hopefully I don't have to do that in the future.

Okay, well I got a call personally from someone working at Newegg after they read my reseller ratings review. The person was able to issue me a refund like I had originally wanted 3 weeks ago. Haven't gotten it yet, so I'm waiting until I get that refund before I change the review.

Too bad I had to leave a negative review to get someone else's attention. Really didn't want that. Since I'm getting the refund and this matter seems to have settle down for me, I will still buy from Newegg, but not motherboards unless they are the only ones on the internet selling it because I don't want to take a chance risk having to go through this whole process again.

The person said I can contact them at any time if I run into a similar issue, but hopefully I don't have to do that in the future.

Man i would'nt change shit! They deserve that review don't change just because you got your money back just note that you did but it took all this crap to get it!

You have the option to not remove the original complaint, but to edit it with the favorable outcome that they offered. That is fair and it will also show people that if they do have a problem they should post it, and hopefully it will get more traction.

This is an interesting read.

I've never had problems with Newegg -- I've had faulty products, but I've always gotten what I need back from them more or less with no hassle. That said, I'm glad that this thread exists, and that people are taking them to case on these matters. It's frightening to think how much I would have been on the hook for if I got screwed for even one purchase.

Man i would'nt change shit! They deserve that review don't change just because you got your money back just note that you did but it took all this crap to get it!

Getting a refund is better than getting my mobo back. I was expecting to only get the mobo back and would have kept the 1 star for them, but since a person actually seemed to care at Newegg and took care of me, I'm going to give them 3 stars and mention that in the review. 3 stars because it basically took almost a month (including weekends) to get something back from them.

Another complaint on Facebook? Yup. *sigh*

Bought a Asus p9x79 motherboard from newegg only to find out it isn't compatible with my processor (no big deal) i send it back just for them to say i tried to install the processor and damaged the motherboard in the process even though a child could tell the processor wouldn't fit. I checked the whole thing over before i sent it out and there was no damage and when they sent it back i found 3 pins that were bent way out of shape and say it was me. I called them and they were too stubborn to even listen to me and said oh we're sorry about your $250 loss but here is $40 to make up for it. Never buying from this site again and no one should buy from a site that likes to steal money from 16 year old kids making minimum wage.

Between my old PC building business (now closed) and personal builds I've spent over 25K with Newegg since 2001. I've never had an issue like this and just 2 weeks ago build a new rig (in sig) with all parts from NE. Sorry to hear about this situation and I truly hope this is the work of one or two bad people and not indicative of a company practice. I cannot see how Newegg stands to gain anything by intentionally damaging Motherboards during the RMA process. I can only speak from personal experience that all my RMAs have gone smoothly with them.

:eek: tried to RMA my motherboard, had the identical experience. Kind of funny, I read this thread before sending it in and was prepared to take photo evidence of my perfect pins before sending it in, but then i thought "naaa, i trust newegg, maybe OP exaggerating." Yeah... about that, turns out OP is exactly right. Called customer service, they are extremely rude and insist it is your fault no matter what and she knows 100% that the damage was definitely, and could definitely not, under any circumstance or in any alternate world be their fault.

Cool. Glad my mobo was only 60 dollars. Seriously do not purchase mobos here, try amazon.

Back