Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns

Almost have this resolved--waiting on some emails right now. I'll post the full story as soon as I confirm everything.

Resellerratings.com DOES allow the vendor to see ALL reviews before they are posted. The vendor can then block said review from ever appearing if they can prove the person giving the review was not a customer or for other reasons. Of course this ONLY applies to those vendors that pay for the resellerratings.com service. Frankly after finding numerous fraudulent reviews and giving them emails from a vendor that both extorted me and admitted to falsifying reviews and resellerratings.com doing absolutely NOTHING about it I no longer even use their service. Its pretty obvious their service is biased (when a vendor can admit they did bad and not even get punished its all about the money and not about protecting us the consumer).

If you do that, can't NewEgg take you to court? I once contemplated doing a CC chargeback and my credit card company (mastercard) told me that they can do it but the other side might open up a civil suit. Even if you won, is preparing evidence and going to court worth your time?

As part of most merchant agreements, vendors must normally accept chargeback judgements made by the the Processor as binding, ie. they agree that if the Processor approves a chargeback, the vendor may make no other attempts to collect this money from the customer.

Put another way, the Chargeback process is normally the one adaptation of Binding Arbatration where the arbitrator is on the CONSUMER'S side the majority of the time.

It should also be noted that this does not normally apply when an intermediary payment service such as Paypal is used, unless the chargeback is for money that the intermediary was attempting to collect for themselves as opposed to another person.

And here we go, the final judgement, in writing (names redacted to protect the innocent):

Good evening Mr. FXXXXXX,

Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Mark GXXXXXXXX, a Newegg representative, and I contacted you today in response to the review you posted on the Reseller Ratings website regarding your order with Newegg. To begin, on behalf of Newegg, please accept our apology for the inconvenience you experienced and know that it is not our intention to cause you to be dissatisfied with our services in any way. At the same time, know that customer feedback is very important to Newegg as it can pinpoint areas within our services where improvement is needed. The feedback regarding your experience has been forwarded to both Newegg customer service and upper management for review. Be assured this matter will receive the attention it deserves.

We have made an exception on RMA #25194645 and we will be processing the return for a full refund. Also, I have created RMA # 50789080 for the return of the Asus Motherboard, in which we will be making an exception and processing the return for a full refund. If pictures are available of the current nature of the motherboard, please forward them to me and I will keep them on file for our records. A prepaid shipping label has been created for the Asus Motherboard and will be sent to you via email within 24 hours. Once an RMA has finished processing, the refund will take 3-5 business days for you to receive back onto the original method of payment.

Know that we are aware that mistakes can and will happen but be assured we are prepared to resolve any issues that may arise. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 800-390-xxxx ext. 25xxx or by email at [email protected]. Thank you. Your time, your understanding, and your consideration are greatly appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mark GXXXXXXXXX

Public Image Professional

I have to say, I think that maybe the squeaky wheel does get the grease. I'm duly impressed.

And here we go, the final judgement, in writing (names redacted to protect the innocent):

I have to say, I think that maybe the squeaky wheel does get the grease. I'm duly impressed.

Thats outstanding. I can say in the past for me the few times I had an issue with newegg they usually have fixed my issue and usually go beyond what I would expect.

Something tells me they found some employees being shady.

That's awesome for the OP, but I wonder how many others are getting screwed on this kind of stuff. Here's to hoping your discussion with Mark leads to some useful internal investigations. Their requesting of pictures certainly hints to that. Squeaky wheel indeed, but it's also the squeaky wheel that can make changes that benefit others.

That's good someone in Newegg stepped up for this one guy, but with all the stories going around about this obvious "warehouse" problem at the Egg, I'm going to have to reconsider who I shop with now. I've always liked Newegg, I remember getting nice t-shirts and stickers thrown in the box with my orders as their way of saying thank you. But with a Fry's 15 minutes from here and their extremely painless return procedure, the Egg is going to have to be backup for hard to find parts only now. And I just got a new z77 board from them a couple weeks ago. Bummer, I hope Newegg gets back to their basics on this one and redefine themselves before it's too late!

That's good someone in Newegg stepped up for this one guy, but with all the stories going around about this obvious "warehouse" problem at the Egg, I'm going to have to reconsider who I shop with now. I've always liked Newegg, I remember getting nice t-shirts and stickers thrown in the box with my orders as their way of saying thank you. But with a Fry's 15 minutes from here and their extremely painless return procedure, the Egg is going to have to be backup for hard to find parts only now. And I just got a new z77 board from them a couple weeks ago. Bummer, I hope Newegg gets back to their basics on this one and redefine themselves before it's too late!

Agreed, this is definitely indicative of a larger problem with Newegg. I hope that as more of us speak up and refuse to settle for being treated poorly that they'll have no choice but to improve on the entire process from start to finish.

While I'm glad to be getting my money back, I should not have had to spend hours fighting to be treated fairly.

Just kind of thinking here about NewEgg and the big ticket items I would buy from there...

CPUs => Usually, no refund policy. Not going to buy if I can't return DOAs.
GPUs => Usually, no refund policy on high end GPUs. Not going to buy if I can't return DOAs.
SSDs => Usually, no refund policy. Not going to buy if I can't return DOAs.
HDDs => Usually, shit packaging. Not going to buy given my experience with a ~25% DOA rate from a few years back. Recent orders were similarly packed improperly so I know they haven't entirely fixed that issue.
PSUs => Refuse to support NewEgg after they sent me a previously-RMA'd and used PSU instead of the new one I ordered.
Motherboards => WTF policy, where they break them upon return. Not going to buy if I can't get a fair return. Not to mention my last motherboard return was another RMA hell when they tried to pull the "I returned the wrong product" card.

No wonder my purchasing volume fell from approximately $4K/year to $700 this year with no plans to order anything else from them in 2012. NewEgg needs to change things around, fast. The constant complaints on their Facebook page alone are a bad sign about how they conduct business. Threads like this just confirm that I'm better off looking elsewhere before turning to NewEgg.

1 week ago I received a used external blu-ray writer from Newegg. The drive ,bought as new, had fingerprints marks all over it, the advertised software was missing... and there were several pieces of human hair inside the box (yuck..wtf newegg). They did refund me but why did I have to go through all this shit when I paid for NEW I want/expect to receive NEW.
Newegg's prices are on lvl with Amazon's prices and the only reason I still buy from the egg is because of the occasional coupons they put out there.
I miss the egg of early 2000 when there was no way to build a PC without buying everything from them. Since then the company was bought/sold a couple of times and the lvl of the service they offer went down the drain.

1 week ago I received a used external blu-ray writer from Newegg. The drive ,bought as new, had fingerprints marks all over it, the advertised software was missing... and there were several pieces of human hair inside the box (yuck..wtf newegg). They did refund me but why did I have to go through all this shit when I paid for NEW I want/expect to receive NEW.
Newegg's prices are on lvl with Amazon's prices and the only reason I still buy from the egg is because of the occasional coupons they put out there.
I miss the egg of early 2000 when there was no way to build a PC without buying everything from them. Since then the company was bought/sold a couple of times and the lvl of the service they offer went down the drain.

I just bought an internal BD drive from Amazon and didn't get any hair in it...WTF Amazon I'm getting cheated! :p

At least you didn't get an RMA sticker on it with the name, order number, and RMA number associated with its previous owner.

At least you didn't get an RMA sticker on it with the name, order number, and RMA number associated with its previous owner.

you are right I didn't get all that,I got his pubes tho....there's only hope the previous owner was a woman (for some reason it will make me feel better )

Hopefully Newegg's RMA tech/techs get fucking fired over this. Newegg is HORRIBLE now! This is bullshit and I don't think I'm overreacting either!

Looks like NewEgg has not been taking care of DOA PSU orders as well. That mimics the experience I had with them last year. Going downhill fast if their Facebook page is representative of overall customer satisfaction.

Not to mention their Reseller Ratings has fallen dramatically since I last looked at it. They used to be 9.8 or 9.9, and now they're only 9.05.

Oh, and new Reseller Ratings review just came up too.

klasiks7z said:
"Beware of buying CPU's and motherboards from Newegg. If they send you a damaged product, then they might refuse your return by inferring that you damaged the pins on either the motherboard or CPU.

The motherboard they sent me almost caught on fire. It released smoke and burned a part of my computer case. Before I sent back the motherboard, I visually inspected the CPU pins to see that they were not damaged or bent. Newegg returned the motherboard back to me with bent pins and refused to give me a refund.

I did some research and found that this is NOT the first time Newegg has done this. If you look through ResellerRating reviews, this has happened before.

Here's a link with photos & details:
http:///78lhfoq

I trusted Newegg.com for many years now. I did not expect them to treat me like they did."

Also another testimonial...looks like the video isn't currently available though. There are at least two additional comments to that video where other people have experienced similar issues. Seems like this is pretty wide spread indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjuEXYWito

Ya know when they get these boards back they probably test them. Maybe a new tech went all gorilla when installing the heatsink and messed up the pins.

To follow up, I've received one of my refunds and am waiting for the Asus board to get to Newegg for the second refund to be processed. I've now received calls from three different Newegg reps who were forwarded this issue from here and from my submitted review on Reseller Ratings.

Additionally, though it's now not necessary, Paypal has ruled in my favor on the Asus board dispute I filed. This occurred immediately after I forwarded them six other reviews from the Newegg.com Facebook page from people who had the same exact problem. I am glad to say that my faith in the investigators at PayPal has been solidified by this. While they may take longer than your average credit card chargeback, it's nice to know that someone at PayPal is approaching customer disputes with an objective mind.

My hope here is that we, the customers, can actually affect a culture change in the Newegg RMA department--even if it's not voluntary. Newegg used to be an amazing company that worked for us, the enthusiasts. If they can find their way back to that place, where they again care about us more than they care about saving money on a $150 motherboard, I'll definitely give them my business again.

Last edited:
Well said. I definitely hope that NewEgg launches a transparent investigation into these issues and keeps us informed about it. I've seen everything from pins being "broken" to refurbished parts being passed off as new. Just in the last year. Pretty sad if you ask me. It might be worth updating your Facebook post with a message once this is all done, too.

Does newegg actually have RMA technicians? I've bought an open box X58 motherboard, an open box Gigabyte gaming mouse, and an open box 4890 and none of them have functioned properly. I returned the motherboard (wouldn't POST) and RMA'd the mouse (mouse wheel was broken) and the video card (would not output video) with the manufacturer.

Well it looks like this isn't just limited to motherboard RMAs, either. New Facebook complaint.

Bobby D Stephens said:
Newegg Screwed me. i bought a seagate 2TB hard drive, it came in in good time. No apparent damage. I put the drive in a new same order, Blacx Duo drive dock. The new seagate drive would not complete a full format. I swapped the drive with one in an existing Blacx usb 3.0 docking station and the problem followed the hard drive. i RMA's the drive and long short newegg tells me the sata connector is end user damaged. i work with sata drives ever single day imaging drives in IT since I am a pc tech. i know how to handle hard drives and if there were any damage it came form newegg damaged. My RMA Number: 25961826 . I sent Newegg an email from home and work informing them this would cost them more than the $119 of the drive if they screwed me. Well they are screwing me and I can no longer make any purchase from or recommend any purchase from Newegg.com What good is a well done site and easy chechout if you cant trust them to do right by their customers. Just say no to Newegg.

I am still missing a piece of the puzzle here
What financial benefit is there to Newegg to mash pins in a socket, deny RMA and send it back to customer, probably losing him forever?

How is it even possible to crush a whole bunch of pins, either dragging the pin protector in socket or dropping CPU in on an angle. The tech guy(s) would have to be unbelievably stupid.
Put the pin protector in upside down?

So NE gets a mobo customer says is bad, they test it and it isnt bad, so they muck the pins so theres no argument about it?
So they get a mobo and it does test bad, and they dont want to return it to ASUS for what reason?

Makes no sense to me.

One experience with Amazon for one of my customers was the exact opposite. He called me that his new self built mobo wouldnt show all the RAM (before 3XXX bios). I said that sounds like coupla misoriented pins in LGA grid - told him to get a magnifying glass and a good light and look for anomalies in grid pattern. Then he called back and said he found 3 or 4 and what should he do?
I told him bent pins are customers fault and that neither vendor or espec ASUS would accept that for RMA.

He asked if i could straighten them for him, and I answered I could, but I dont straighten OTHER PEOPLES PINS, only my own.
He replied that he bought it from Amazon, and he would try an exchange anyways. He did and Amazon promptly sent out a new one using original CC# for backup in case old board was not sent. While a few bent pins are not blatantly obvious - but to someone who does a lot of this stuff its very easy to spot
Why they passed it I dont know - I dont think Amazon has any mobo testing facilities - they just pass it on to ASUS.
But they never dinged his CC

Everybody is lying dude, that's the only logical reason that makes sense!

:rolleyes:

I am still missing a piece of the puzzle here
What financial benefit is there to Newegg to mash pins in a socket, deny RMA and send it back to customer, probably losing him forever?

How is it even possible to crush a whole bunch of pins, either dragging the pin protector in socket or dropping CPU in on an angle. The tech guy(s) would have to be unbelievably stupid.
Put the pin protector in upside down?

So NE gets a mobo customer says is bad, they test it and it isnt bad, so they muck the pins so theres no argument about it?
So they get a mobo and it does test bad, and they dont want to return it to ASUS for what reason?

Makes no sense to me.

Exactly I just don't understand the motive.

AFAIK Newegg has never had any Techs.

They just buy and sell.

It appears NewEgg has deleted all my Facebook posts, and blocked my ability to post to their page, in direct retaliation for helping the OP and others that have also experienced false claims of "customer damage" to RMAs. Just to be clear, I was posting some information on their Facebook page trying to help the OP. NewEgg didn't somehow track me down through my HardForum account. Just posting it here in hopes that the 'right people' might see it in case my email gets ignored. Until this is resolved I don't think I want to shop at NewEgg anymore. At least not for big ticket items like the GTX 680 I bought from them a month ago.

Last edited:
This could be the case of a shady manager or employee ripping off Newegg or its customers. Who knows how many people will get screwed over before it's resolved...

Also, not surprised they blocked you on Facebook. Lots of companies will do this if you say anything negative about them, although usually it's their own forums or websites.

I'm not surprised either. Oh well. It would be nice if they unblocked me simply because I enjoyed helping people with questions about new builds, but I guess I can do that here too.

Exactly I just don't understand the motive.

AFAIK Newegg has never had any Techs.

They just buy and sell.

Allow me to clarify--by "RMA Techs", I mean "the guys who open the items that are returned and inspect them". I know that no one is fixing items at Newegg.

Alright, in the interest of full disclosure, I have been in contact with NewEgg about my banning. They apparently believed I was a 'shill' of sorts for their competitors and their moderators locked me out.

After a discussion with one of their public relations professionals they have un-banned me though they do want me to refrain from suggesting people issue credit card chargebacks or recommending people shop elsewhere. Their moderators don't appreciate that either. I won't do that on Facebook anymore, fine, but that doesn't stop me from giving such recommendations on other forums as I believe that is the customer's right to explore these options.

What Techs???? NewEgg is great. The only complaint I have with them is packing. They drop your parts in the box & cover them with packing, but they don't put any packing under your parts first. Check it out next time you get something from them. Other than that I've had no problems with the Egg. If it's defective ship it back within 30 days for whatever return policy they posted when you bought it. No B/S, no problems, I like the way they do business. Me Likey :D

I just want to jump on the bandwagon here and say that I will not purchase anything from Newegg, no matter how good the deal, until I see this pattern of behavior resolved to my satisfaction.

I'm not going to take the chance that I'm going to end up like one of the posters in this thread, or one of the reviewers on Facebook and ResellerRatings. The best that I can hope for is a refund after wasting hours of my valuable time to make a scene in the hope they eventually notice? No thanks.

If I were the OP or in his situation I would have demanded a gift card to cover the cost of shipping (which to my understanding was paid TWICE - once to send the item back the first time, and then again to send it back after begging for a refund) and extra as compensation for my time. And also to give me a reason to ever shop there again, which I wouldn't if I were the OP.

I just want to jump on the bandwagon here and say that I will not purchase anything from Newegg, no matter how good the deal, until I see this pattern of behavior resolved to my satisfaction.

I'm not going to take the chance that I'm going to end up like one of the posters in this thread, or one of the reviewers on Facebook and ResellerRatings. The best that I can hope for is a refund after wasting hours of my valuable time to make a scene in the hope they eventually notice? No thanks.

If I were the OP or in his situation I would have demanded a gift card to cover the cost of shipping (which to my understanding was paid TWICE - once to send the item back the first time, and then again to send it back after begging for a refund) and extra as compensation for my time. And also to give me a reason to ever shop there again, which I wouldn't if I were the OP.

Oh, believe me, I'm done shopping there--completely. However, I will continue to use them the same way I use Best Buy--as a showroom floor for the items I'll eventually buy from Amazon.com.

Oh, believe me, I'm done shopping there--completely. However, I will continue to use them the same way I use Best Buy--as a showroom floor for the items I'll eventually buy from Amazon.com.

They do have a good search engine, don't they? :p

I would just like to warn people that using a CC chargeback does not remove the owed debt even if you do get your money back. So yes if you buy a $100 product from a company and it is defective, you return it and they screw you over like in this post. You call your bank and they find in your favor and give you your money back. All they are doing is taking the money back from the seller. The CC company has no legal authority to decide payment settlements. When you bought the product you created a debt relationship with the seller. You paid them and that transaction was settled. When you do the charge back you are taking the money back from them forcefully. Now the debt still exists. You still owe them the $100. Most companies just forget about it and mobe on. Some companies will in fact send you to collections for the money.

Isn't there something in the contract between <insert vendor here> and <insert CC processor here> that chargebacks are binding?

Ive had nothing but good experiences with them and rma's in the past , and Ive done plenty because of doa and other stuff , hopefully they resolve this issue quickly , but i wont put them out there being ive been treated great as a customer. . but i do feel bad for the op cause i know this kind of stuff happens in big companies , " because of shifty higher management that thinks they are gods "

OP.

Send a PM to TGIFreddy on eggxpert.com (neweggs forums).

I understand it's a pain to have to jump through hoops to get this taken care of but TGIFreddy can probably help you out.

This is why I pay a bit more to buy from my local shop. If I return a defective part, we can both look at it before rma and then send it out. If the manufacturer gives them shit, the shop deals with it and I get either credit or cash back instead of banging my dick against the wall.

Question to the OP. Would you have any documentation confirming the board you got back was the original one you sent out? Just a thought...

I&#8217;ve had excellent service form Newegg, and when they screw up, a phone call or 2 always fixes it. More often the problem is UPS crushing boxes.

BUT in my experience, for some reason mobos are an exception. All boxes are unsealed, and I have on a couple of occasions received mobos that were clearly used and abused. I guess some customers buy new mobo, play with it for a couple of weeks and then return it, and Newegg simply resells the item. If they were to truly test returns by trained technicians there would be no profit.

But even with crispy new mobos, if you really know how to test them, I have found a very high rate of defects, not DOA but sub-systems not performing as advertised. Frankly I don&#8217;t believe they test mobos individually at the factories, they figure it&#8217;s cheaper to let the customer do the quality control.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can't dispute a card transaction because I used PayPal. I've got two disputes open with them on this, but the first has been open since May 2nd with no movement yet.
It should also be noted that this does not normally apply when an intermediary payment service such as Paypal is used, unless the chargeback is for money that the intermediary was attempting to collect for themselves as opposed to another person.

I'll just throw out there for future reference that you can do chargebacks if you used a credit card via PayPal, only that it's not a good idea until you've gone through PayPal's formal dispute process (after-all, it's not PayPal's fault). It actually works quite well if your credit card company approves it, since it completely bypasses the merchant. When PayPal gets hit with a chargeback, they'll just automatically withdraw the charge from the merchant's PayPal account so they don't take a loss. I had to do this once years ago, since I had a PayPal dispute which ruled in my favor, but PayPal's payment protection policy was idiotic back and they were only giving me a partial refund. Soon after I filed the chargeback, PayPal bypassed their policy, gave me a full refund, and then reversed the chargeback to stay in good standing with my credit card company. The irony was a few months after that, was back when PayPal completely revamped their payment protection policy to be more consumer friendly as far as refunds are concerned, and designed in such a way to avoid PayPal getting hit with chargebacks because of their own idiotic policys. Overall, PayPal is now quite good at issuing refunds and resolving disputes in favor of the consumer.

Keep in mind that chargebacks are horrible for merchant's relationship with the likes of Visa and Mastercard which don't take kindly to fraud (assuming you have a legit claim). If a merchant gets too many chargebacks in a short period of time, they get blacklisted from processing credit card payments altogether. This is why you'll either hear about black/white situations of companies getting extremely nasty (chargeback -> merchant refund refused ->chargeback remains), or extremely accommodating (chargeback -> merchant refund issued -> chargeback reversed). Be smart, and only use chargebacks as a last resort on legitimate claims, and you should never have an issue. Though obviously it helps to protect yourself, and for things like RMAs, you should always take picture evidence of anything you ever return so you never get screwed over.

Back