Newegg betray's us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone notice the video card prices at newegg recently. Namely the x800's...

They are insane. Not even remotely competitive. Buddy of mine just walked into his local CompUSSR and came out with a x800pro VIVO for $399.

Why are they gouging us?

Everyone EXCEPT the giant retail chains are gouging everyone for those new cards. Best Buy and Comp USA buy them in a large enough bulk to get a decent price on them and they would definatley place an order for more than newegg would. This allows them to sell at a more reasonable rate.

I work at a Comp USA and we sell alot of Ultra's, 6800NU's and alot of 6800GT's. We've even got X800XT-PE's and X800Pro's. Which we sell, just not in the quantity of the 6800's. Also it seems that we've got a harder time getting ahold of them.

We've got more than 100 6800GT's on hand right now. So as a result we can sell them for normal MSRP, because our cost on them still allows us to make a nice profit on those cards. So we don't need to jack the prices.

BTW I sell alot more 6800's because people want it for Doom 3 performance. I kid you not. They'll pick the Nvidia card over ATi for just that reason alone. Because the 6800's are better sellers we don't stock as many ATi X800's.

Supply and Demand. The brick and mortar stores have to sell it at MSRP. Newegg is going by market demand.

First of all, newegg's service is excellent.

I have been shopping from newegg since 1998 and I can tell you that in the recent 3-6 months, newegg has been raising prices on pretty much every item by about 1-3 dollars. It used to be only couple bux over the lowest price you can find on pricewatch, but it is now about 5-15 bux more on certain items.

So it comes down to how much you value newegg's fast shipping and excellent return services. So, I still shop CPU, memory and graphics cards from newegg, because they are the most easily broken parts. For everything else, if it's over 5 bux than what the lowest price on the net, I am getting those items from elsewhere, but if it's around a buck or two difference, I still choose newegg.

Hopefully that helps

It has nothing to do with supply and demand, more to do with the convience factor for folks that dont live in a town with a retail computer parts store, which is probably at least half the country. People would rather pay a few more bucks than have to drive for a couple of hours to get a high end video card at a retail store. I live in Connecticut, if I can not get to a store quickly no one can, and I have almost an hour drive to a major retail chain that carries computer parts. The common stores like WalMart usualy only carry last years cards that a discount shopper has an interest in. Stores like NewEgg bank on people being lazy and ordering online....

The only thing anyone can do to drive those prices down is to shop around more online. There are a lot of stores on Pricewatch and Pricegrabber that beat NewEgg prices and many score highly with business rating services....

well, i work at circuit city. For a brick and mortar to gouge prices is pointless, we would have to price match anyways, newegg and other online retailers can do what they want, bc they know they will sell them at any "reasonable" price. But i do agree, newegg's prices are horrible these days, i say everyone should boycott!

advanced101101 said:
well, i work at circuit city. For a brick and mortar to gouge prices is pointless, we would have to price match anyways, newegg and other online retailers can do what they want, bc they know they will sell them at any "reasonable" price. But i do agree, newegg's prices are horrible these days, i say everyone should boycott!

Since they've gotten so popular alot of their stuff has gone up in price. The last few times I looked at buying stuff I found thier prices weren't the best by any means and went somewhere else.

I agree

New egg ain't what it used to be.

They are the media darling, finacial sucess, recently ranked as like the 6th largest online computer etailer only behind the likes of dell and HP.

Lately when I shop at Newegg, except for a few "loss leaders" shipping or the price kills the deal on everything.

Their prices have been creaping up, especialy the shipping prices which on some items lept up over night. $16 to ship a matx case? Huh. Well maybe that's fair. But then why is it $16 to ship a full tower case? Something wierd is going on there.

For my last few purchases (motherboard, Zalman 7000 ALCU, 16x DVD burner, 1gb compact flash card) I've shopped at www.zipzoomfly.com

They used to be googlegear or something and in the past they had horrible reviews, but for my last 4 purchases they have been great, and when I factored in 2nd day shipping (I'm always in a rush) the prices have been close to or better than neweggs. Like newegg everything ships the same or next day and is on your doorstep lickety split.

Another place I have had some luck with is www.ewiz.com. I only ordered a case from them, but at the time they beat neweggs price (with shipping) by nearly $15.

Will I shop at newegg again? Of course I will. I'll even shop at Compusa if the price is good....

Ram is at peak pricing, video cards, CPU's (AMD now). Overall, I'd say it's a pretty bad time to buy stuff haha. Not that bad, buy higher than i've seen compared to last years (or gen) top end equipment. Sucks..

It is pretty safe to say the [H]'ers helped make newegg what it is... in a serious way. We all went to newegg for the high end components that we were seeking.

Pretty un-wise for them to bite us now. I am looking for another place to do business.

I just looked at my order history on newegg. I have spent $8,081.93 there. Unless they shape up, they aren't going to get another cent from this guy.

I have always been willing to pay $10-15 extra for good service and fast shipping. But some of their products are now 20, 40, even $100 over what you can find it for elsewhere.

No business cares about anything unless you hit them in the pocket book.
Time to take a stand.

I love how they sell Xeon chips, and no motherboards for them.

They're too expensive to see them in the first 3 pages of Froogle when I look for stuff now. Their $1,199 AMD FX-53 was bought about $300 less from another site. Forget buyer beware, it should now be buyer forget.

I bought a majority of my computer from zipzoomfly, like 90% of their items have free 2nd day shipping, and you know you can't beat shipping although newegg's regular fedex is faster than zip's 2nd day, but hey, it was free

I bought a HP laser printer from them last week, but I do agree that their prices are getting rediculous. I've spent around $4500 there in the last couple of years ($1500 was for a laptop) and they've always had the best customer service and near best prices.

Lately though I've been buying most of my computer components from zipzoomfly and gameve.... still haven't had a problem with either company and their prices are in general lower than the egg's. I'm not ruling the egg out from future purchases, but I'm sure as hell not going to buy 95% of my stuff from them again until they start having more competitive prices.

They do tend to gouge some prices, but they do really run some good deals. I got the MSI K8T Neo-FSR and 3000+ for $235 deal this summer. Damn was that a life-saver.

Newegg just isn't what it used to be. Does anyone notice the increasing time it takes to ship. Or the lesser customer interaction, if there is a problem. Not to mention the incresing prices.

They just don't want to go over and above anymore. They are content to sit on their laurels it seems.

Which is fine, it is time to find another company.

Newegg isn't what it use to be, however, I still find it's marginally better than most other places. It just use to be a much bigger margin.

It's time for me to buy a new system. As before I always bought my components from newegg. Not this time, I'm going to purchase from zipzoomfly.

When I get the system priced out at ZZF I'll also shoot over to Newegg and find out how much that same system will cost me there. I'll be sure to post my findings for you guys... and gals.

Guys, they're just getting big. Business picks up, and no they are trying to keep up with it. It's hard to be the best mom and pop store on the net, become famous, and stay in business; Maybe you should be writing letters to them, telling them what's up, not flaming them in a forum? They've done alot for all of us, they don't owe us anything; but I do agree, if they want to stay in business, they must remain competitive. But that's all we're talking about here- that they no longer have the best prices on the internet. Thing is, does anyone here really know why? Remember, they are a retailer, they sell stuff in order to make money...

trikster2 said:
I agree

New egg ain't what it used to be.

They are the media darling, finacial sucess, recently ranked as like the 6th largest online computer etailer only behind the likes of dell and HP.

Lately when I shop at Newegg, except for a few "loss leaders" shipping or the price kills the deal on everything.

Their prices have been creaping up, especialy the shipping prices which on some items lept up over night. $16 to ship a matx case? Huh. Well maybe that's fair. But then why is it $16 to ship a full tower case? Something wierd is going on there.

I've started feeling the same way about newegg lately. To me it feels like they aren't quite what they used to be with increasing shipping costs, price gouging on certain items, increasing costs on other items, and slower RMA service. Now I can't necessarily fault them for price gouging, but when they slowly increase shipping costs over time, are starting to have noticeably higher prices than some competitors, and their RMA service takes much longer, it's hard not to notice and re-evaluate buying from them.

You guys sure shipping costs haven't increased due to lower volumes going through shipping companies? Not sure myself, but I work at UPS, and I know our volume isn't what it should be...

I dont know what it is but I am going to buy elsewhere. Thier prices are increased, I have to pay sales tax now, and thier shipping also went up. Between all that, being my states sales tax is 9.25% I am going to shop elsewhere and save on atleast shipping or tax. Im not paying both, and increased prices. They have changed a lot, but like people said they had to in order to stay in business.

There use to be a time when I always look at newegg refurbs. Now, I dont even bother. Its not worth buying refurbs anymore. Prices are so much higher. Used to be hard to buy refurbs because everyone was buying it as soon as its posted but now it just sits there. Good thing consumers arent stupid.

When a company starts charging close to twice the MSRP because it's in demand ($55 AC NV5 anybody), you know somethings up. I remember the good ole days when I use to say how big a rippoff Compusa was and they always sell MSRP.

Jacking up the price to unheard levels just because you have low stock is unethical, IMHO. I mean, these aren't collectors editions or limited run items that gain value, they're off the shelf computer parts.

well it gets worse over this side of the border!! I can't even touch any of these high end cards in canada. They start at like 600 - 750 CAD. Humm need to find a high paying job to enjoy the new tech.

Price is something I can live with, I know that when I order. What realy pissed me off lately is items ordered Monday not shipping until Friday. Happened twice in the last couple weeks on "in stock" items.

Sc0rched said:
I dont know what it is but I am going to buy elsewhere. Thier prices are increased, I have to pay sales tax now, and thier shipping also went up. Between all that, being my states sales tax is 9.25% I am going to shop elsewhere and save on atleast shipping or tax. Im not paying both, and increased prices. They have changed a lot, but like people said they had to in order to stay in business.

9.25% ? Where ? Sheesh thats insane. I wish newegg wasn't based in California though, because I spend about 2k a year through them and taxes make me a sad panda =\

NeoLogic said:
It's time for me to buy a new system. As before I always bought my components from newegg. Not this time, I'm going to purchase from zipzoomfly.

When I get the system priced out at ZZF I'll also shoot over to Newegg and find out how much that same system will cost me there. I'll be sure to post my findings for you guys... and gals.

Just got a new board, cpu and memory from new egg and compared with zzf and newegg was about 7 dollars cheaper even with shipping. I am seeing the prices going up on NE as well and free shipping is gone. Now you really have to shop around.

The gouging is upsetting. I don't know if the extra money they make off new, high demand stuff is worth their customers looking everywhere else before settling on them. Wouldn't they want to keep their customers loyal?

Having said that, newegg's delievery is awesome, usual ground is like 2 days sometimes less, and I'll track the package just to see it being held in the warehouse because its gotten there too early The RMA service is also outstanding as has everyone of my dealings with them. The gouging has me looking else ware for stuff online these days tbh.

Okay, here's the skinny.. And this is based not of sale items, but what I actually wanted in a system. Keep in mind I already have a game/high end rig, and I'm buying a new system for a webserver...dedicated, and that's what the following shopping list is based off of. I don't need super high end items for this particular box, but I did chose items I have had luck with. Here it goes..

http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppingcart.asp?DEPA=1&submit=view With newegg, Shipping and Handling to Virginia was like $16.

ZZF I don't have a link but it's final price after shipping: $908.68
Shipping and Handling to Virginia UPS GROUND was $34.28. 2nd DAY AIR cost me $81.68 making the subtotal 874.40.. far more expensive than newegg.

So what it boils down to is what your actually buying. I can tell you the shipping for that Antec case from ZZF was off the wall... Twenty some buck or something While Newegg was much more reasonable. Your milage may vary

The link doesnt work, but I agree the items that ZZF doesnt offer for free shipping you end up giving an arm and a leg, but even with that for me it is cheaper than buying from newegg.

9.25% ? Where ? Sheesh thats insane. I wish newegg wasn't based in California though, because I spend about 2k a year through them and taxes make me a sad panda =\

I live in TN they increased it a year or two ago to that, however we dont have state income tax. Its almost cheaper to go down to CompUSA and buy all the parts because newegg isnt offering free shiping and set up places in TN awhile back. So buying from places like ZZF ends up being cheaper because I save $100 just from sales tax. I guess it isnt neweggs fault on that part though. However, I do see prices raising some, but most of the time they are cheaper than other places, besides high demand parts.

I order lots of things from Newegg. I am willing to pay a little more for good service. I have never once recieved a bad part. Not to mention I have accually recieved the part with the free/basic shipping before I even recieved the tracking number (free overnight). There isn't a chain store around here at all. I would have to drive an hour or more to get to a Best Buy, and it is tiny. If I go to a local store I will pay Neweggs price+shipping+markup+tax (6.975%), since most of the stores around here get all of there stuff from newegg.

Good service and trust is hard to find in companies these days. Until Newegg gets way out of hand I will be on the site ordering parts.

I have been looking to max out this socket 478 rig and I can do it for about $800, most other places (getting everything at one place) it is around $900. I can't say that neweggs prices are that high.

Just my 2 cents.

give newegg some break, granted they used to be the God of online shopping for parts... but now zipzoomfly is catching up too... newegg's cs is still really good... and prices are good too and fast shipping..

maybe because they have gotten so big ...

NeoLogic said:
Okay, here's the skinny.. And this is based not of sale items, but what I actually wanted in a system. Keep in mind I already have a game/high end rig, and I'm buying a new system for a webserver...dedicated, and that's what the following shopping list is based off of. I don't need super high end items for this particular box, but I did chose items I have had luck with. Here it goes..

http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppingcart.asp?DEPA=1&submit=view With newegg, Shipping and Handling to Virginia was like $16.

ZZF I don't have a link but it's final price after shipping: $908.68
Shipping and Handling to Virginia UPS GROUND was $34.28. 2nd DAY AIR cost me $81.68 making the subtotal 874.40.. far more expensive than newegg.

So what it boils down to is what your actually buying. I can tell you the shipping for that Antec case from ZZF was off the wall... Twenty some buck or something While Newegg was much more reasonable. Your milage may vary

NewEgg's price came out to be for those of you who the link doesn't work, $853 before shipping, and $865 after shipping. Again, not a bad price at all!!

IdiotInCharge said:
You guys sure shipping costs haven't increased due to lower volumes going through shipping companies? Not sure myself, but I work at UPS, and I know our volume isn't what it should be...

nah, that's just due to the fact that UPS sucks ass

no offense to you, just some bad experiences with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back