New Silverstone FT02

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by Blackstone, Jun 21, 2009.

1. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

I sold mine to someone on Anadtech. Had the plexiglass laser etched and blacked out all of the screws. Definitely my best case of all time, until I had the IN WIN S-Frame Red/Black special edition.

Only IN WIN and Caselabs can beat the FT02 based on design and features, but at higher price points.
    Case Labs is releasing a new SMA8-A case that IMO will be the case of all cases.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1642144/caselabs-announces-the-magnum-sma8-a-revision-sma8-a/0_40

2. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

Is there any more conventional case that has better GPU cooling? I don't think I can do FT02 afterall it is just too big length wise. This for my LIVINGROOM believe it or not. Also I am worried about that top panel and accessibility to the back ports. I would like to get some more air on my GPU though.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Better GPU cooling -> closed-loop cooler like those released by Corsair and sold by EVGA and MSI. Enclosure doesn't matter so much at that point so long as there's a good intake flow.

4. Michaelius

Michaelius [H]ardness Supreme

Phantex Evolve ATX with tempered glass side window. I got rid of my Raven 2 as hdd mounting was really outdated on those cases and overall size got problematic.

Would be cool if Silverstone made a refresh to address cable management and hdd/ssd mounting.

5. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

I’ve got a new Corsair H80i v2 with a X370 strix Mobo in this case. The usb cable coming out of the AIO for Corsair Link blocks the first RAM slot in order to keep the Corsair logo facing the right way. Anyone know of any completely flexible micro usb cables I can connect to the USB port out of the AIO so I can use the closest RAM slot?

6. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

I think the FT-02 needs to go full aluminium, the case is so large and heavy now and not quite as functional as newer designs. I moved away from large designs to more compact ones, though I still have this case sitting around.

7. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

Anyone know of anything that would work?

8. Tony Ou

Tony Ou SilverStone Tech Representative

If you are wondering how your FT02 is holding up in terms of cooling performance compared to modern cases, GamerNexus just re-tested a RVZ02-E they had from 2012, which is the same internally as FT02 with AP181 fitted, the result should be unsurprising to most of you:

Maybe you can look for low profile Micro-B cables to see if they work?

9. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

Thanks I found one awhile back like that that worked.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd [H]Lite

It is such a great case. It is completely silent for me from 3 feet or so, and it is still the best cooling case you can get.

That said, in today's world the drive cage area, and cable management is just not great. It seems like very little engineering would need to be done to optimize the drive cage for modern drives and SSDs and fix cable management. They should also offer an all aluminum option so it doesnt weigh as much as it does.

Despite the shortcomings, still my favorite design, and the filler panel at the top is SO SO convenient.

11. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

I wish they would make a new FT02 and FT03 but Silverstone seems more interested in following the crowd and making generic looking cases that could be made by anyone.

Meanwhile, Coolermaster seems to have a new case with dual 200mm fans on the bottom and a vertical layout.