New Silverstone FT02

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by Blackstone, Jun 21, 2009.

1. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

I sold mine to someone on Anadtech. Had the plexiglass laser etched and blacked out all of the screws. Definitely my best case of all time, until I had the IN WIN S-Frame Red/Black special edition.

Only IN WIN and Caselabs can beat the FT02 based on design and features, but at higher price points.
    Case Labs is releasing a new SMA8-A case that IMO will be the case of all cases.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1642144/caselabs-announces-the-magnum-sma8-a-revision-sma8-a/0_40

2. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

Is there any more conventional case that has better GPU cooling? I don't think I can do FT02 afterall it is just too big length wise. This for my LIVINGROOM believe it or not. Also I am worried about that top panel and accessibility to the back ports. I would like to get some more air on my GPU though.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Better GPU cooling -> closed-loop cooler like those released by Corsair and sold by EVGA and MSI. Enclosure doesn't matter so much at that point so long as there's a good intake flow.

4. Michaelius

Michaelius [H]ardness Supreme

Phantex Evolve ATX with tempered glass side window. I got rid of my Raven 2 as hdd mounting was really outdated on those cases and overall size got problematic.

Would be cool if Silverstone made a refresh to address cable management and hdd/ssd mounting.

5. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

I’ve got a new Corsair H80i v2 with a X370 strix Mobo in this case. The usb cable coming out of the AIO for Corsair Link blocks the first RAM slot in order to keep the Corsair logo facing the right way. Anyone know of any completely flexible micro usb cables I can connect to the USB port out of the AIO so I can use the closest RAM slot?

6. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

I think the FT-02 needs to go full aluminium, the case is so large and heavy now and not quite as functional as newer designs. I moved away from large designs to more compact ones, though I still have this case sitting around.

7. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

Anyone know of anything that would work?

8. Tony Ou

Tony Ou SilverStone Tech Representative

If you are wondering how your FT02 is holding up in terms of cooling performance compared to modern cases, GamerNexus just re-tested a RVZ02-E they had from 2012, which is the same internally as FT02 with AP181 fitted, the result should be unsurprising to most of you:

Maybe you can look for low profile Micro-B cables to see if they work?

9. Groto

Groto Limp Gawd

Thanks I found one awhile back like that that worked.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd [H]Lite

It is such a great case. It is completely silent for me from 3 feet or so, and it is still the best cooling case you can get.

That said, in today's world the drive cage area, and cable management is just not great. It seems like very little engineering would need to be done to optimize the drive cage for modern drives and SSDs and fix cable management. They should also offer an all aluminum option so it doesnt weigh as much as it does.

Despite the shortcomings, still my favorite design, and the filler panel at the top is SO SO convenient.

11. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

I wish they would make a new FT02 and FT03 but Silverstone seems more interested in following the crowd and making generic looking cases that could be made by anyone.

Meanwhile, Coolermaster seems to have a new case with dual 200mm fans on the bottom and a vertical layout.

12. Tony Ou

Hope you are not forgetting the bulk of Cooler Master's case lineup is made up of generic cases. If anything, they are probably more interested than we are in producing those because that's where the biggest sales volume come from, is just the media don't reporting them.

We've definitely heard the feedbacks that people want more of our 90 degree rotated motherboard cases (even though sales have been flat since the launch of RV05 and FT05), most of our unique retail case design focus has been on small form factor the past several years. The current LD03 project (also called SG14 back in 2017) is something we've been working on for a while and is a spiritual successor to the FT03:
    https://www.eteknix.com/silverstone-continue-to-innovate-in-small-chassis-market/

As for an ATX sized tower case with the same features, it has gone through a couple of redesigns already but we aren't ready to show/finalize it yet. Though it'd be interesting to know what past and current owners would be willing to pay to upgrade to a potential RV02/FT02 successor. RV02 debuted at around $170 while FT02 was close to $250 in 2009/2010. Taking into account of inflation and raw material prices have gone up, would you guys still be interested if the new case will now cost around $300? If not, what price point would you prefer and what sacrifices would be acceptable (e.g. fans, I/O ports, material, drive cage, etc...).

DoubleTap and THUMPer like this.
  13. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

Thanks Tony, I know the market has changed a lot in the last 6-7 years since I bought my FT03 Titanium. Right now there is a glut of standard ATX cases with the same layout - power supply shroud, open interior, tempered glass with small gaps to let in the air, etc. These all seem functional but boring.

Your new FT03 style case looks interesting, but honestly, if I was going to go ITX, it would be extremely difficult to compete with the Ncase M1 (for many reasons, including the optical slot)

However, I'm still looking for a premium mATX case. I'm using the Core V21 and it works great, but it's big and not much to look at (sorrry TT rep who reads this later, no offense)

I don't really have a budget - the $130-200 would be ideal, but I want a horizontal layout (like the V21) or a vertical layout (like the FT03)

At the end of the day, I'm the last person you should listen to. I'm not representative of the most customers in the case market - I want performance and a premium look and I'm willing to pay for it if I see it. Just have not seen it yet.

14. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

Tony, the largest selling points for me are

1. Airflow - Open fronts/mesh. The Lian Li PC-9F is a great example. Two fans with filters and an open vent in the front.
    2. Material - Aluminum is great but Steel can be if its thicker and the paint doesn't chip easily. My biggest complaint with steel cases, is the ability to scratch the paint very easily when you are swapping parts around. Screw holes and so on.
    3. Looks - I don't really care for RGB. But the Tempered side glass is a nice feature. A real step up from an Acrylic panel
    4. Price. $200 ish for me if it has all the bells and whistles.

15. Tony Ou

A big portion of our customers are not typical as evidenced by our large small form factor case and PSU lineup so your feedbacks are more valuable to us than probably for others!

If you are looking for a Micro-ATX case, maybe also check out the just released Lucid LD01. It has functional stainless steel frames holding the tempered glass with excellent cooling for graphics cards and adequate cooling for CPU. Its layout is similar to TJ08-E's design but with contemporary updates. Instead of making the tempered glass panels just windows for seeing RGB and lights from the inside, we purposely gave them very dark tint so that the beauty of the glass (and stainless steel holding them) can stand on their own in making the case look good.

16. Tony Ou

Thanks for the feedbacks!

From your description, maybe the Primera PM02 could work for you?

1. It has open front with three 140mm PWM fans on the front and another 140mm fan in the rear.
    2. All steel front panel with excellent paint job matching the rest of the body.
    3. No RGB included, just a discreetly lit SilverStone logo projected to the bottom front (can be disconnected separately) and has tempered glass side panel.
    4. Less than $150

17. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

Hi Tony,

Thanks for responding, truly - Silverstone is my favorite case company by far so if I'm critical, it comes from a place of love.

10 minutes ago, I sold my beloved FT03 Titanium (for $25 after listing it for 2 months on craigslist)

I asked myself - as much as I love the case, why am I not using it right now?

I used it to run GTX 680s and 780s in SLI - back when those were new cards - and it worked well but it wasn't what I'd call quiet.

Viq51g9.jpg

I use the large and very quiet Arctic Accelero xtreme III cooler on my 1080 Ti and a Noctua DH-15S and all Noctua fans to keep the noise down:

VQJtXZK.jpg

I've used this type of cooler on 3 other cards - an HD 5990 and two GTX 480s. I'm pretty sure it killed my HD 5990 due to sag and while they have improved them, I wouldn't mount it in a case where there was any chance it could sag - so it has to be either vertical or in a hanging / 90 degree orientation.

The LD01 is a nice looking case, but whether it's reasonable or not, I just worry too much about GPU sag.

If I was going to update the FT03, I'd use a 180-200mm bottom fan (and maybe top fan too) and I'd make the panel next to the GPUs a mesh panel with at least 2x 120mm fan/rad slots - it's a common mod in SFF forums. Maybe slim down to an SFX PSU and re-think the storage options - keep the hot swap bay, but offer more SSD mounts. Give it a Titanium/Charcoal frame with some black mesh and accents and it you'd have a small foot print, high airflow, 90 degree Fortress case that would be a stand out.

Nothing against the glass - it looks nice, but everyone is doing it right now and while I don't even mind the RGB+TG look, I'd rather be fast, quiet and ugly :)

18. Tony Ou

Thanks for the feedbacks on the FT03, you do realize that adding an 180mm fan plus extra clearance for 2 x 120mm rads/fans will make the case a lot bigger or taller. It may come close to FT05's size, which is a relatively compact ATX case.

As for GPU sag in the LD01, that is not an issue because we've added a holder to prevent it. I've highlighted that part from LD01's product page below in case you missed it:
    LD01_cardholder.jpg

19. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

Assuming it's of import, i'd have to start with what i find problematic; give you my line of thinking as it were:

- You made 90 degree cases that had the depth of a UHAUL van, but only fit ATX motherboards... i mean seriously..
    - You made 90 degree cases that could fit SSI-EEB mobos, but had a 165 cooler height restriction.. who told you i want a van for a case but not a Themralright cooler for example? Why would i buy the van then? I can fit 165 anywhere. If it's already huge, 7 more mms width won't change much and i can fit any cooler i like.
    - You offered said same cases in a fortress edition, except they had quality issues.. front foor coming to mind (scraping floor, not closing all the way, etc), or more plastic than could ever be excused given the pricing at the time.
    - You recently made a new FT, except it has even more plastic and is way too small to boot. Aaand, a bit too trendy.

So to answer, if you made a chassis that:
    - Had FT02 levels of cooling potential
    - Fit SSI-EEB
    - Allowed for 175 max cooler height
    - Came in a fortress edition that was worth the name designation? (no plastic, no glaring quality issues)
    - Was offered in a non-glass/acrylic window variant (because some of us want only the case, not a pretty lights display)

I'd pay any price. Right now :)
    And i sincerely hope you get to make one.

Best regards.

* am fully aware how few people share my wishes, yes, lol. Am also aware i'm part of that minority that will pay when it's worth it. It's a minority that has kept many companies up and running for years and years.

20. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

I am currently looking at an ML09 for an HTPC. I was directed towards these cases a while back and I love them all. Minimalistic.

21. ChineseStunna

ChineseStunna Limp Gawd

Been checking out this thread for a long time and finally about 5 years ago managed to get an Black FT02 with USB3.0 (sadly not the Red/Black edition) and it's been my favorite case so far (still rocking it), since building from the mid 90s and working in the hardware industry for a few years.
    Tony Ou To answer your question, I'd gladly spend $400 for a quality replacement, some of the "shortcomings" for the case brought up by others are understandable design trade-offs I imagine the original Raven/Fortress team made and it's better/worse for different people in different situations.
    Some personal thoughts:
    1. 5.25" drive bays, please keep them! I believe this is one of the major challenges of making the case shorter length wise. Most people this day and age don't really need them as evident by many case designs including Silverstones that have removed them. It's amazing to see mid-towers fit EATX dual CPU motherboards. Personally I don't like this trend as I feel they provide a variety of options as the number of accessories such as fan controllers, water cooler reservoirs, drive cages etc have make lots of possibilities available. I went from a single optical drive to just a 3x5.25" drive cage for a 120mm fan which I've turned to exhaust hot air out front (lowered CPU temps about 7C) along with 2 2.5" SAS drive cages
    2. I think the case could be a bit taller so we can fit EATX motherboards fully, as ThreadRipper and Xeon SP sockets have gotten bigger, so will the boards. Numerous TR boards already use EATX
    3. Fan controller - have something like the Silverstone CMD01-ESA fan/thermal control hub built in and wire the fans there. One of the biggest common complaints has been fan controls currently are under the top cover which has to be removed into order to actually adjust fan speeds. It's unfortunate that NVidia ESA didn't really take off but I love the idea of software controlled fan curves and ideally movable thermal probes that can be moved to specific hotspots to drive fan behavior. This is something I'm accustomed to on servers (esp. Supermicro) as their boards/chassis has pre-defined wiring so the board knows which fan to speed up if something gets too hot. This is harder in the customization/enthusiast market as every build is different so the ability to move the thermal probes would be great!
    4. More exhaust fans - I understand this case was designed to be "positive pressure" but personal experience currently shows that even adding an exhaust fan at the front (see my first point) has dramatic effects on the thermals of a already amazing case.
    5. Needs improvement - 3.5" drive cage, not sure if it's even needed (could use adapters in 5.25" bays?) if so, please make a better version without the flimsy feeling plastic. The hotswap idea was nice and I use many hotswap bays, but proper metal backed ones with metal trays are needed here.
    Having build/used cases from pretty much all the big names, I love Silverstone products, you guys design things in a very thoughtful manner - not in a "do it because we could" but "do it because we should" way. Defining new trends that's actually beneficial performance/noise etc, currently own and use 3 of your cases and will continue to be a supporter

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Tony Ou likes this.
  22. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

Bump. Been running my FT01 for ten years!

Tony Ou and Unexploded like this.
  23. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

My FT02 is still pushing a 2600K at 4.7ghz on air with a 980ti. One of my favorite cases of all time.

I honestly wish they would do a modern version. Give it a bit more room for cable management, more SSD slots, and remove the 5.25 bays without changing the look, feel, or build quality of the case in general.

I’d really like a miniaturized version for ITX.