New Silverstone FT02

caw2007

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning to resurrect my FT-02 soon. Gonna throw a 280mm and 120mm rad in it and see how it goes. I will be waiting for 2090/2080 waterblocks due to the aforementioned length limitations.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, with some very simple tweaking they could re-make the FT-02 and re-purpose the drive bays and 5.25 bays for modern storage and watercooling, maybe shorten it a bit and go 3 x 140mm for the basement. Give it a little more height and width to better accommodate larger motherboards, graphics cards, and cable management..

johnnysd

Limp Gawd
That's exactly why I built mine!

I'm looking to reuse my FT-02 or find a replacement that fits all the same qualities/features in 2020/2021. Updating everything in a few weeks (once RTX 3070/3080 comes out)
I am anxiously waiting to do a new system but I will wait for the Alta F1, Ryzen 3 and video card still TBD. Probably NVIDIA 3080 but AMD might have better overall offerings. Tired ot putting them together though. I might try to hire someone from here to do it all neat and pretty.

SamuelL421

Limp Gawd
From my perspective you are completely missing the mark on some of the main drivers of the FT-20

I doubt almost anyone on this forum buys a HP or Dell and a FT-02 has literally nothing to do with white box customers on any level so that is irrelevant. There are many many customers who simply never moved away from the FT-02 because nothing ever really replaced it. The Alta F1 looks to be the first in a while to cover the basic appeal of the FT-02.

Also most people who would want a revised FT-02 want it for air cooling not water cooling. Simply put it was the best built most versatile case with best air cooling and quietness ever built. Certainly a new version would not really need 5.25" drives, but the FT-02 was not about drives.

It was about the inverted motherboard, build quality, extreme air cooling capability and quietness. Sounds like you are not really a target for this. This thread has 2 million views, I would say there is plenty of built up demand for this sort of case.
Say what you will about the 5.25 bays, they allowed me to cram 8x 3.5" drives and 4x 2.5" into the FT02 and I still had room for DVD drive :p

So will this thing take a 3090 founders edition or is there not enough room?
There's not enough room.

3090 FE is 313mm and FT02 is limited to 304mm or 309mm (with fan grille removed) - https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242&area=en
It also won't fit in an FT05 which maxes out at 310mm, but will work with the upcoming Alta F1 which can take up to 334mm.
It can be done, just not with the stock fans installed. You'll need to swap the Silverstone "air penetrator" fans for something smaller than 32mm thickness, Phobya made smaller 180mm last time I looked into this (a long time ago). Silverstone also made a 180x18mm super slim fan but I have never seen them in stock anywhere.

Anyway, smaller fan, lose the grill, and then I'd buy a magnetic dust filter of some sort for the outside bottom of the case.

Last edited:

Folly

n00b
Just spotted this spanker for sale on ebay, used but looks pristine, many extras still in the bags, if I didn't already have one I would buy this one, UK only unfortunately but my God look at how beautiful it is.
It could be the finest specimen in existence, hard to see how there could be any better out there, unless there are some unused units hidden away someplace.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverstone-Fortress-FT02B-ATX-Case/133499522337?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

Folly

n00b
I finally put some hardware inside the case, I originally bought it to house my next build and that is still the plan, but with furlough boredom kicking in I couldn't resist transferring my old build over to it.
A lot of fun to build in although the cable management memes are correct.
Cleaned her inside and out, removed the old fans and fan controller switches, installed new AP183's and she's running like a new case, fair play to the previous owner who really looked after her.

DSCF1097.JPG DSCF1100.JPG DSCF1106.JPG DSCF1108.JPG

Last edited: