New Shooter Taking It Old School

Looks like crap.

Okay, let me fill these developers in. There is NO REASON to play these games if there is no story. Without story and identifiable characters, there is no investment and no reason to bother.

fragga fragga hey

to each their own

Looks like crap.

Okay, let me fill these developers in. There is NO REASON to play these games if there is no story. Without story and identifiable characters, there is no investment and no reason to bother.

:confused::confused:

Looks like crap.

wat? fps area games are about killing other players...

Looks like crap.

lolwut ...loltroll?

Tell me how the story was in Quake.... Which, BTW, has it's own Con...:rolleyes:

Story lines are a waste of time! I'd rather be shooting people in the face then waiting through cut scenes and shitty.... SHITTY, acting....

User generated Maps!
SDK's for ALL Registered users!
Total Conversions!
NO FREE TO PLAY = NO MICROTRANSACTIONS!
MODS MODS MODS!!!
ALL FOR ONE PRICE!

This was the reason i played Battlefield 1942 for 7 years and only spent $50.
This was the reason i played Quake 2 for 5 years and only spent $50.

Desert Combat mod for BF.Rocket Arena, Urban Terror (F*** Counterstrike's ripoff of Urban Terror BTW) for Q2. Good Times.

lolwut ...loltroll?

Tell me how the story was in Quake.... Which, BTW, has it's own Con...:rolleyes:

Story lines are a waste of time! I'd rather be shooting people in the face then waiting through cut scenes and shitty.... SHITTY, acting....

Quake had a great story. Bad shit, demon invasion, go kill it.

Looks like a straight-up UT clone to me. Not that that's a bad thing. :cool:

This was the reason i played Battlefield 1942 for 7 years and only spent $50.
This was the reason i played Quake 2 for 5 years and only spent $50.

Desert Combat mod for BF.Rocket Arena, Urban Terror (F*** Counterstrike's ripoff of Urban Terror BTW) for Q2. Good Times.

Don't forget Action! Quake 2...

So just like old school shooters, a month after release everybody will be playing a mod with classes and leveling instead of the base game. :D

It looks good. Very good.

Unfortunately, I haven't been a teenager in <mumble> years.

Definitely looks like UT with vehicles. I'd be down for some old school DM though... looks fun!

Don't forget Action! Quake 2...

I didnt play action quake that much, but once you mentioned it i do remember it lol There was a realism mod for BF1942 as well that i cant remember. Tanks had a gunner, driver, machinegunner, and i think loader, or the thing was useless to use.

There is NO REASON to play these games if there is no story. Without story and identifiable characters, there is no investment and no reason to bother.
Not sure what you're talking about, arena shooters are purely about skill and competition.

Next you'll tell me baseball players are all going to quit because there's no story besides (score higher than the other team) :rolleyes:

Essentially same gameplay as old skool tournament shooters with new graphics. Bit generic really. Not enough to capture my interest.

Same here. Reminds me old school unreal tournament. I'm looking forward to it for the fast paced action. I really miss that aspect of the game.

My group of friends that we play UT with used to have to literally take breaks after playing just 2 or 3 games.

I look forward to it. Looks like it hearkens back to the old shooters and I've been wanting to see a modern take on those since... 2004.

Looks like crap.

Reason: Competitive play.
Reason: Fun

Honestly, as you're running around a Q3 or UT4 deathmatch, do you give a shit about "Sarge" or "The Skaarj"?

FUCK NO!

You're out there trying to blow your opponents into little chunks of giblet!.

I'd rather they spend the cash on a rich diversity of weapons, good gameplay, extensive map selection and most of all, MODDER TOOLS.

If the story is "We put you in an area and you kill others. End of story."?

FINE!

Looks like crap.

So then go buy the latest battlefield of duty game.

The rest of us who want a dev team making a competitive multiplayer FPS would rather that time be spent on the multiplayer aspect, rather than wasted on a halfassed single player campaign no one will give a shit about 3 months after laucnh *cough BATTLEFIELD 3, 4, AND THE LAST 5 or 6 COD GAMES cough*.

Story in Q3 and UT? LOL. No one played those games for story, they played them because the MP was fun.

This is definitely the kind of game that would capture my interest, if I had the time to play online games...but I still might MAKE time to bring back some of the good old UT feelings.

I never bought UT3 due to all the problems with the beta: On an aesthetic level, UT2k4 went too far in the "floaty fantasy" direction, but UT3 went too far in the opposite direction. The models felt "as wide as they are tall," everything was gray and desaturated, and it felt like you had to double-jump just to get over a knee-high fence. Worse, the mechanics were flat-out wrong: The hitboxes were too tall, and the aiming reticle was higher than eye level (trying to compensate for the squat character models?), which made for weird over-the-fence headshots from a vantage point where your opponent wouldn't have been able to see you. Plus, widescreen users were punished with a narrower field of view (and increasing the FOV too much was a "cheat"), and you had to log your player name with Epic, so you couldn't easily change aliases or sometimes even use the [picked-over] name you'd been using for years. I don't think many other old school UT players bought the game either, and the whole thing was such a disappointment that I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it, live my life, or get a job ever since. ;)

Between Toxikk and the new upcoming UT, maybe life can begin again. It's about time someone made an arena shooter worth playing. Now we'll just all need to get ULMB or similar displays so we can frag half as well as the CRT era, because the day my "aging reflexes" became apparent was ever-so-coincidentally right around the time I got an LCD monitor. :D

Greatly reminds me of UT2003/2004... However, I could always go back and play those games... What does this have that those games don't have besides moderatelyimproved graphics?

ok, you have my interest. looks like a modern halo+ut2k3+quake III mashup. the good old days.

Greatly reminds me of UT2003/2004... However, I could always go back and play those games... What does this have that those games don't have besides moderatelyimproved graphics?

Hopefully, it will have the excitement of a fresh influx of players. ;) If we're lucky, the movement, feel, balance, weapons, maps, etc. will also keep things fresh.

That said, reviving a forgotten genre is not really about having something new and revolutionary. It's about refining a game that already works and introducing it to a new generation: Arena shooters are like chess or long-lived sports games: It took a while to "perfect" the rules, but the games are good enough to deserve being played and enjoyed for time immemorial. We're still early in the history of arena shooters, so it's tough to tell what the "perfect" version would look like (I'd argue closer to UT than UT2k4), and there are still technical limitations that keep us from exploring all possibilities (destructible everything, plus fluid simulation ;)), but there's nothing wrong with adding minor cosmetic tweaks to a winning formula: If it ain't broke, don't fix it...just add a new coat of paint if necessary. You can always play chess on a nicer board, with nicer pieces, and it doesn't hurt to have marketing and sponsorship to attract new players.

Looks like crap.

LuLz i haven't played a multiplayer oriented game for the story in forever. I never played the story for Blops2 or Bf3/4. I'm in it to murder da noobs! This game concept looks great. I will get it if its stable to play.

I will be looking at this also. Looks like some fun shoot em up action.

Looks fucking great. Like Tribes and the good parts of Halo combined.

I couldn't put my finger on why I gradually stopped playing shooters after Gears of War 2 and CoD Rehash #4, but this lays out it pretty plainly.

I see alot of Quake, Halo, and Unreal influence ;).

I will buy this if for no other reason than it smacks the call-of-duty crowd in the face ;).

Hell YES. I simply do not care for all of this newer CoD and BF4 gimmicks, streak rewards, etc. Too much stuff to mess with. I just want to FRAG. Th'e last shooter I Cared about truly was CoD4 and the WWII offshoot.

I have been playing Q3 again lately...frantic fragging action...ahhhhhh, now that is what I needed....:D

When is this game coming out?

These days it seems like games like this are a dime a dozen.

Quake 3 Arena or Quakewars

Unreal Tournament whichever

Tribes

Rise of the Triad

Serious Sam

Halo (which at least had a good story)

Probably many others not coming to mind.

Those games all still work.

The plus side, no damn leveling to gain new weapons or longer stealth or what-the-fuck ever like Cod and battlefield. Those suck, give me cod 1 or cod 2 or bf1942 anyday compared to those "You gained a rank! You are not Master Master Level 50 echelon General Seargant!". ugh so fucking annoying.

But yeah, we already have many games like this. So what could they do to really kick it off and give it legs? maybe make it cross platform, and we can all play together? ps4 player vs xbox1 player vs pc player all in the same game... then the community might really flourish. But of course, the pc players would have an advantage thanks to mouse/keybd. so nothing so bold will ever happen...

I'm not the same age I was in 1999 and I don't have those reflexes. As such I entertain zero notion that I will not be absolute utter garbage at this. However This gets my full support because damnit I am completely sick of all the unlock, achievement laden pitifully balanced bullshit known as modern shooters. Finally someone releasing a shooter that looks like it might take actual skill to pubstomp again.

Quake has come back from the dead.
Sign me up and come on and shoot at me.

Looks good already, glad to see a FPS game that has gone back to it's original roots, we don't need another bullshit "CoD" like wannabe shooter which is catered for kids.

As great as that looks, and as much fun as I used to have playing UT and Quake, I just don't have the twitch reflexes to play competitive enough to enjoy myself.
God I wish I did, but it aint happening.

This does look good. It does have the UT99/UT2k4/Halo/Chrome feel to it. If it is released for a $20-30 price tag then I will buy it. I am hoping for a demo first though. Even though it is really rare for demo's these days. :D:cool:

Back