New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

The models that might disappear are the ones without fans. The reasons for it is that the cost run up the roof when we have all these different versions. But we assume that all the enthusiast will have ordered their case by the end of the year.
After that, you'll have a version with and without window, both with fans (all black "black heart" and the "classic").
If a special version that we stopped is in high demand, we'll make an exception and try to get it out for the ones of you interested.;)

PRE ORDER DA BOX: here

Is there a confirmation page that is supposed to load after you hit "Preorder"? I haven't gotten an email yet.

Is there a confirmation page that is supposed to load after you hit "Preorder"? I haven't gotten an email yet.

Right now, there is just a message coming on the top of the page. But you will receive a confirmation email. It just takes a few minutes.;)
For any questions regarding the pre orders, you can contact me at [email protected] and I can check into it (except if you are in the EU zone, then you have to go to [email protected])

Last edited:
If that's going to make the other versions cheaper, I'd say kill the version without fans. Prices are very close anyway. You could probably kill another one too (Classic maybe?). You will see soon enough.

Nice job Matt, at a very good price.
6 months ago I would have ordered one, but now I am waiting on your mITX design.

Seconded
SSD's are out of my price range :(
2.5"s dont pump enough juice

How far off performance wise is the 500gb 7200 RPM 2.5" drives? They can't be that much slower than the desktop drives. I haven't used a 3.5" drive in many years, and I can't tell the difference between these 7200s. My Intel SSD is a huge improvement though.

preorder sent! you might want to change the default quantity to 1, instead of 5 ;)

for the record, if one model has to be cut, make it the classic, and if two, go ahead and cut the one without fans (even though thats the one i picked). like the other guy said, the price difference isnt too extreme.

here's hoping you get many thousand more orders and make a killing. i always like to see good oregonians get rich :)

also, i can't believe you made it to pre-order with that price structure, good job! the nearest comparable case (QMicra V2E, also a good case) is 240. i am impressed.

Thanks you all, it was a lot of work and a lot of sacrifice to get this price structure, but as I mentioned before, the objective is not to make bring a case at a competitive price!;)
For the mini ITX, no, it does not hold 2 x 3.5". It holds, as of the design I'm working on now, 1 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5". Think 1 big 3.5" for storage and SSD for the rest. This is where we are heading. Too bad I can't have it out for Christmas...

In for one too! Pre ordered the one with the window.

I really loved my SG01, too bad it wouldn't fit the newer longer cards, and with the 80mm fans and low clearance for the heatsink, you're severely limited on you hsf options, therefore your oc is limited too.

Since this has a 120mm fan exhaust at the back, I'm assuming the H50 fits fine?

Yeah. A couple of SSD's or the 2.5" Raptors in RAID would be fairly quick. Now if someone would do ITX mobo's with >3 SATA ports.

preorder sent! you might want to change the default quantity to 1, instead of 5 ;)

for the record, if one model has to be cut, make it the classic, and if two, go ahead and cut the one without fans (even though thats the one i picked). like the other guy said, the price difference isnt too extreme.

here's hoping you get many thousand more orders and make a killing. i always like to see good oregonians get rich :)

Yeah the classic doesn't make much sense (as well as my first pick for a cut, the fanless version). They might as well make a real cut-price version of Da Box (named Da Box Lite?) shorter (no need for accomodating huge PSUs and larger GPUs) and I don't know what else. To be honest I haven't followed the evolution of Da Box in detail, so I can't suggest any more than this...

In for one too! Pre ordered the one with the window.

I really loved my SG01, too bad it wouldn't fit the newer longer cards, and with the 80mm fans and low clearance for the heatsink, you're severely limited on you hsf options, therefore your oc is limited too.

Since this has a 120mm fan exhaust at the back, I'm assuming the H50 fits fine?

There is a 140mm right next to the CPU. That's where I would fit the H50 if you really want to go the water cooling way (the placement supports 120mm fan also).
DA_BOX_pres17.jpg

Hi Everybody,

This is the almost final front of the case. I just wanted to post an updated picture.
DA_BOX_pres19.jpg

Yeah. A couple of SSD's or the 2.5" Raptors in RAID would be fairly quick. Now if someone would do ITX mobo's with >3 SATA ports.
Dfi itx board gonna have 3 satas and then you can just use an external dvd drive. Any dates for the mitx case? And its not gonna have the same face as this one right?

What happened to the black button in the centre? This new one doesn't look quite as good to my eye.
The black button was too complicated to manufacture, so we had to pick an easier option. Plus there was not enough clearance for cables and we had to leave some space for future options to come. It was a difficult decision, but at one point, you have to make a choice if you want the product to be finalized.
The options includes this:
fancontroller.JPG

Last edited:
Pre-Order placed, can't wait.

Now I am worried I accidentally selected France shipping, but I am in the US. Is that a big deal?

Can you PM me if it's an issue and let me know if I should re-pre-order?

Thanks.

holly moley, that looks cool. Any images of the non window version of the side panel, you said it was different to the perforated on the other side? Cheers.

The button isn't a deal breaker at all, and I must admit I wanted to make a more constructive comment but I'm having a hard time visualising a perfect solution for how it might look with different button placement, shape and colour. I'm probably in a tiny minority here, but I'd prefer to have the front unblemished and have the power button on the back, possibly with a wired remote button attached on or near my desk. Luxury option for future products?

Last edited:
The button isn't a deal breaker at all, and I must admit I wanted to make a more constructive comment but I'm having a hard time visualising a perfect solution for how it might look with different button placement shape and colour. I'm probably in a tiny minority here, but I'd prefer to have the front unblemished and have the power button on the back, possibly with a wired remote button attached on or near my desk. Luxury option for future products?

*whew*, and I thought I was part of a minority, too!

Yeah... I do like unblemished fronts, too.

Pre-Order placed, can't wait.

Now I am worried I accidentally selected France shipping, but I am in the US. Is that a big deal?

Can you PM me if it's an issue and let me know if I should re-pre-order?

Thanks.

Hi DMW16, no worries, but if you wouldn't mind, could you place a pre order in the US again. It helps me keep track of which case goes where (if you haven't done it yet).
Thanks again.

Accessories: I will get a prototype made of the front of the case with this fan controller shown above. I'll wait to get your feedback on that. I believe it is going to look sweet when correctly integrated!:p

Love that fan controller. Also, placing my re-pre-order now.

Thanks.

UPDATE: So I tried to pre-order again, but no confirmation. Anyone else having issues?

Last edited:
Love that fan controller. Also, placing my re-pre-order now.

Thanks.

UPDATE: So I tried to pre-order again, but no confirmation. Anyone else having issues?

I did at first... I just redid it. Make sure you get a red message on top that "Message has been sent" or something after you hit the Send button. I got an email confirmation immediately.

I did at first... I just redid it. Make sure you get a red message on top that "Message has been sent" or something after you hit the Send button. I got an email confirmation immediately.

Yeah, no red message...

wow, that fan controller looks [H]ot!

would love to see a picture of it integrated. course, now im all thinking about a 7 inch touchscreen LCD mod for mine...

on a side note, i also intend to use an H50 for cooling, though, from what ive read, the system cools almost as well in exhaust mode and adds quite a bit of ambient heat to the inside of the case... so im thinking maybe it would be best to just run it as an exhaust out the back, perhaps set up a push-pull system to increase airflow and impede the exhaust a little less..

the NB's on these x58 boards can get quite toasty as i understand...

still going over the logistics of a full WC setup (CPU, NB, 5970) and not sure it will actually be possible without some pretty serious hack and slash. but i will have to wait till i actually get my unit to be sure, haha.

either way, stoked already, oregon power!

Last edited:
wow, that fan controller looks [H]ot!

would love to see a picture of it integrated. course, now im all thinking about a 7 inch touchscreen LCD mod for mine...

on a side note, i also intend to use an H50 for cooling, though, from what ive read, the system cools almost as well in exhaust mode and adds quite a bit of ambient heat to the inside of the case... so im thinking maybe it would be best to just run it as an exhaust out the back, perhaps set up a push-pull system to increase airflow and impede the exhaust a little less..

the NB's on these x58 boards can get quite toasty as i understand...

still going over the logistics of a full WC setup (CPU, NB, 5970) and not sure it will actually be possible without some pretty serious hack and slash. but i will have to wait till i actually get my unit to be sure, haha.

either way, stoked already, oregon power!

That last part of your post is the reason why i'm considering picking one up. Besides the obvious fact that this case seems exactly the kickstart that the mATX world needs.

a fellow Oregonian then?

by the way, happy thanksgiving from Baghdad to all who celebrate.

If this case was all I got for christmas, I'd be happy. If I don't get it for Christmas, I will be getting one after christmas. Loving the fan controller, don't care about the button. I kind of like the silver, actually. The one thing that's I'd really like to see if the drive placement. From the pictures, it looks like the 2x 3.5"s go in hanging bracket under the rear exhaust fan, is that correct? I can see two of the 2.5"s mounted underneath the 5.25" optical bay. Where are the other two? Detailed pics of this area would be great. The 3/4 shots are not helping my confusion. Also, so the 2.5" drive slots accommodate SAS drives? only difference being that they are thicker than SATA 2.5"s. I would be using SAS in my rig.

..too bad it doesn't have 8x 2.5"s... :)

Thanks you all, it was a lot of work and a lot of sacrifice to get this price structure, but as I mentioned before, the objective is not to make bring a case at a competitive price!;)
For the mini ITX, no, it does not hold 2 x 3.5". It holds, as of the design I'm working on now, 1 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5". Think 1 big 3.5" for storage and SSD for the rest. This is where we are heading. Too bad I can't have it out for Christmas...

This is good. I shall hibernate till this arrives.

It will include a SATA cable for the HDD. But we haven't planned on small cable for slim drive.
Do you mean small in length? Is it hard to find? Or you'd just like it as part of the bundle?

It's harder to find... it's rarely included with OEM drives and people are unaware when they buy, so they have to look for what cable they need.

the SATA Data portion of it is the same, but the power is shortened down, so if you had a slim SATA power to molex included that would be enough or a combo cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270183

Obviously oem costs on those cables should be 10 cents, not $7 ;)

Just an idea, I don't even use DVD drives anymore... everything is virtual drives / over the network for me. I got an external drive to install Windows and then I never use it again.

It's harder to find... it's rarely included with OEM drives and people are unaware when they buy, so they have to look for what cable they need.

the SATA Data portion of it is the same, but the power is shortened down, so if you had a slim SATA power to molex included that would be enough or a combo cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270183

Obviously oem costs on those cables should be 10 cents, not $7 ;)

Just an idea, I don't even use DVD drives anymore... everything is virtual drives / over the network for me. I got an external drive to install Windows and then I never use it again.

Yes! What he said.

As for why use the ODD, it comes down to BluRay for me! I've used a USB drive to install Win7 and I don't think I'll ever go back to using optical media for that again!

Back