New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Zarathustra[H];1041755800 said:
Wow, that is good to know. I will update the guide as soon as I can take some more screenshots (not tonight)

Shit, now I gotta set up the profile again. :) Oh well, I am getting to know that panel pretty good now though.

Well, having read a few users here now saying they sit only 3 ft or so from their huge 55"+ screens made me laugh a bit since it kind of reminded me of my first monitor I bought that was a 14" 720p screen. To feel more "immersed" I stuck that thing less than a foot from my face to play hl2 and I was actually happy with it haha.

So for the heck of it, I took my tv (55" ju7100) and sat 3 ft from it as well. First off I want to say this tv was not meant for anything other than games/movies. Desktop use/browsing and watching movies at this distance is still way too impractical to me, but for gaming .....the increased clarity/sharpness I get opposed to sitting 6 ft away...dayum! It actually looks a heck of a lot better!

So now with this new situation, ummm, anyone know a really comfortable sofa I can use that has wheels lol.

I know a lot of people here have bought from Crutchfield. Has anyone actually returned one to them? All their policy states is that "larger" tvs carry a return freight fee. Just wondering if they consider 40-48 a large tv or not. If no one knows I'll give them a call.

Thanks so much for such and informative post. If I wall mounted the 55" the bottom of the TV would probably be the level of the top of my desk. I would love to pull the trigger but i'm thinking if I wait, 4k wil be a lot more mature bu the time Pascal launches and perhaps the new video cards can push 4k with max settings. Can you possibly provide a picture of your TV/desk setup? Thanks again for the reply

I don't know about you but I am running The Witcher 3 maxed (even maxed hairworks AA) and it's working just fine on JS9000 @ 4k.
I'm obviously not on 60 fps, but the game is fluid and it's not stuttering or lagging anywhere. not a single one time.
So I'm perfectly happy, 980Ti is a beast of a card.
I have however oced my MSI 980Ti Gaming to 1500mhz and 3770k to 4.5GHz.
It's one of the more demanding games, GTAV (according to benchmarks) runs with a few more fps.
I read Metro and Crysis 3 are way more demanding at 4k, but those games are so 2-3 years ago I don't care about them.

I thought the 6500 and the 6700 had the same panels, only difference being the 6700 was curved, but the rtings reviews had this to say:

"The Samsung JU6500 is pretty good for motion blur. If you want less, you might want to upgrade to the JU7100." (16.4ms)

And this was for the ju6700:

"The motion handling could be better on this TV. It has a bit more blur than average, although you won't really notice it unless you are gaming or watching sports." (17.9ms)

Is it true the 6500 actually produces less blur than the 6700?

I don't know about you but I am running The Witcher 3 maxed (even maxed hairworks AA) and it's working just fine on JS9000 @ 4k.
I'm obviously not on 60 fps, but the game is fluid and it's not stuttering or lagging anywhere. not a single one time.
It's one of the more demanding games, GTAV (according to benchmarks) runs with a few more fps.
I read Metro and Crysis 3 are way more demanding at 4k, but those games are so 2-3 years ago I don't care about them.

I'm running a 980Ti myself so posts like these get my attention.

Just for the sake of information: I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of FPS you were getting out of Witcher 3 in that situation.

I know a lot of people here have bought from Crutchfield. Has anyone actually returned one to them? All their policy states is that "larger" tvs carry a return freight fee. Just wondering if they consider 40-48 a large tv or not. If no one knows I'll give them a call.

When I purchased my 40JU6700, it qualified for the $10 return shipping label. Then, the 48JU6700 shipped regular UPS (and thus should have qualified for $10 returns) but I was told that it would need to be shipped back via freight, although I was able to plead my case with them and make them bend. The 48JU7500 shipped freight and had to be returned via freight.

So I don't know if anything has changed with the 40" sizes, but it would appear that the $125 return freight fee applies to the 48s. Note that the return shipping is only charged if you decide that you don't like/don't want the TV. It's my understanding that if it has to be returned because of a defect, Crutchfield picks up the shipping costs.

Amazing deal on 48" JS8500 from eBay/Buydig.

You get TV+Galaxy S6+$300 Visa gift card for $1500.

Source

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's what I'm trying to gauge:

Practically speaking, if I decide I don't want to go bigger than 40 then it means the 7000 series at highest.

What am I "giving up" if I go with the 7100 or curved 7500 vs the 8500 or 9000, all told? (Excluding screen size differences.)

Gaming is a priority.

That's an incredible deal on the JS8500. Too bad it has comparatively high input lag in Game mode, but then again, the JS9000 has comparatively high lag in PC mode so I guess it's a wash.

Killer deal.

Is anyone else having this problem -

On the JS8500, I am not getting any signal to the monitor while the PC is booting, until windows loads up. So I cannot see the bios screen or any Post screen to select which operating system to boot to. This only happens when I use the JS8500 as a monitor; everything was visible on my previous monitor which I used up until last week.

Any ideas?

On the JS8500, I am not getting any signal to the monitor while the PC is booting, until windows loads up. So I cannot see the bios screen or any Post screen to select which operating system to boot to. This only happens when I use the JS8500 as a monitor; everything was visible on my previous monitor which I used up until last week.

Any ideas?

GTX 970 GPU.

Yeah, with my 980 Ti's, I also don't have an issue. If I crank DSR, I do get some fram drops in games like Metro Last Light, and a few others, but I am a eye candy graphics whore, and I cannot live with the game sliders anywhere other then on Ultra/Max. With my Dell, 2560x1600, every game is smooth. I just want to make sure that remains true with the 4k Sammy. I guess I could always go Tri/Quad Sli:rolleyes:

Any ideas?

GTX 970 GPU.

I am doing some reading and my information overload recon may help you by sheer happenstance here.

If you have something called the Eco Solutions menu? Look for a "No signal power off/on" choice and toggle it and see if that fixes it.

Someone had asked "Does this TV have a "monitor" mode, e.g. automatically sleep when hdmi signal stops, and wake up when signal resumes w/o the need to use the remote ? " and that was the answer they were given.

Seems like it's describing the same thing. Hope it helps.

How are you liking your new toy so far? :)

Loving it. Glad I waited so long for the "right" solution for me. Just having the bezels gone is a treat. Never bothered me for gaming, but made desktop editing somewhat of a chore.

Whats so bad about flat? Flat has been around for a long time and now panels have a little bit of curve and its the only way to go or something?

Nah. Based on PMs exchanged with him in the past and some replies in this thread, I believe that he has determined that 40" is the better size for him. The general consensus is that the curve benefits larger screens more than smaller ones, so I took his statement to mean "Too bad there isn't a 40" JS8500" and, even if he talked himself up to the 48" model, too bad that it doesn't have the curve that would be more beneficial at that size than at 40". Of course there are other 48" curved models available, but they aren't currently in "almost irresistible deal" territory like the JS8500 that was posted.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the flat panels; it's just that some of us prefer the curve in a traditional computing environment (i.e. you're always in the center sweet spot and sitting relatively close so that the curve sort of "surrounds" you). It improves viewing angle issues and lends itself to greater immersion.

Even then, the flat ones are perfectly doable, and like has been said, are probably preferable in a traditional TV scenario where more than 1 person will be viewing or there are multiple seating positions (like in a living room).

Nah. Based on PMs exchanged with him in the past and some replies in this thread, I believe that he has determined that 40" is the better size for him. The general consensus is that the curve benefits larger screens more than smaller ones, so I took his statement to mean "Too bad there isn't a 40" JS8500" and, even if he talked himself up to the 48" model, too bad that it doesn't have the curve that would be more beneficial at that size than at 40". Of course there are other 48" curved models available, but they aren't currently in "almost irresistible deal" territory like the JS8500 that was posted.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the flat panels; it's just that some of us prefer the curve in a traditional computing environment (i.e. you're always in the center sweet spot and sitting relatively close so that the curve sort of "surrounds" you). It improves viewing angle issues and lends itself to greater immersion.

Even then, the flat ones are perfectly doable, and like has been said, are probably preferable in a traditional TV scenario where more than 1 person will be viewing or there are multiple seating positions (like in a living room).

Thanks, imyourzero for all your posts and responses. You have been a lot of help, and it's appreciated.

This thread got me off my ass and got me to do something about it. I had those three ROG Swift monitors in portrait mode (which they aren't very good at) due to the ultra-wide aspect ratio not working all that well in many games. This 48" I've got has about the same space and aspect ratio as those 27's in portrait but without bezels. It's been fantastic. I can't imagine going back now.

That's a fun feeling. I love it when a new piece of hardware turns into a 'how could I ever go back' line of thinking.

This thread got me off my ass and got me to do something about it. I had those three ROG Swift monitors in portrait mode (which they aren't very good at) due to the ultra-wide aspect ratio not working all that well in many games. This 48" I've got has about the same space and aspect ratio as those 27's in portrait but without bezels. It's been fantastic. I can't imagine going back now.

You get the same thing Kyle did? JS9000?

Since the ROG Swift is a Gsync high refresh rate monitor... do you feel like you lost something going away from that kind of concept to something like this?

You get the same thing Kyle did? JS9000?

Since the ROG Swift is a Gsync high refresh rate monitor... do you feel like you lost something going away from that kind of concept to something like this?

No. I've had the JU6700 for probably about 3 months now.

I had 3x 30" Dell monitors for years. So 60Hz was what I was used to. I got the Swifts to enjoy G-Sync and higher refresh rates but found the drawbacks didn't suit me. On the Swifts or Dells 7680x1600 or 7680x1440 I was technically pushing more pixels than 4K. In some titles I couldn't realize 80+ FPS all the time anyway. The trade offs going to the Swifts didn't make up for the added smoothness either. I hated the viewing angles and the lack of vertical real estate. In a 3xportrait configuration the bezels were too close together. I had to sit at an odd angle to deal with the vertical shift. I always ran my Dells in landscape mode but some games didn't play nice with that. The Swifts could more easily be set to portrait mode so I tried doing that for awhile. It taught me I wanted more vertical and less horizontal space. A 48" monitor fit the bill perfectly.

I only had the Swifts for a month or so.

Thanks, imyourzero for all your posts and responses. You have been a lot of help, and it's appreciated.

:) Just part of a growing crowd of people who try to contribute knowledge, advice, and experience with these. I started with the 40JU6700 and went through several models; my end game is the 48JS9000 as I didn't think the couple of extra features of the JS9500 were worth the relatively large price premium (not to mention the smallest one available is 65" - way too large for me!). I'm very enthusiastic about all of them and enjoy helping out where I can. Many others in this thread have been excellent resources for figuring out the kinks and optimal settings on these as we've dissected them over the course of the past few months.

It will be very interesting to see if the 2016 Samsungs are markedly better, or if there is viable competition from LG/Sony/Vizio/Panasonic/etc. while OLED matures and becomes more affordable. What Samsung did to these 4K sets to make them suitable for PC use is commendable and I hope the bar only continues to be raised.

So...Because I'm such a compulsive person and love technology, I decided to buy the 55" JS9000. I just measured my office seating arrangement, and from where I sit to the back of my desk/wall is about 3 feet. I measured from the screen of my Dell(This is where I like it-close to my face as possible) and the screen bezel to where my face is, is a little less then 2 feet; about 21 inches. You guys think the 55" will be too damn big? I am totally in the "Bigger is always better" group, but if I have to wall mount the 55" just because it's to big, that might push me towards the 48". I guess I can always head over to BestBuy and take a look...Decisions, decisions

Has someone tried to play league of legends on 48 or 55 inch of those TVs

I have played on a 40" & 48" but I will reiterate:

Depending on your play-style you may need to adjust your mouse DPI and in-game scroll speed to help compensate for the larger screen size. Otherwise, League plays fine at 4K and looks gorgeous as well.

I have played on a 40" & 48" but I will reiterate:

Depending on your play-style you may need to adjust your mouse DPI and in-game scroll speed to help compensate for the larger screen size. Otherwise, League plays fine at 4K and looks gorgeous as well.

I bet DOTA2 looks better. It is the far superior game, afterall... ;) <shots fired>

Damnit, I can't decide which calibration to use. I'm like, half (or maybe one quarter :p) color blind (still love this screen). So I kinda have hard time deciding what I should go for.

Currently my picture settings are:

Picture Mode - Entrertain (Standard makes it kinda yellowish).
Backlight - 15
Contrast - 90
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 55 (while most text is nice and crisp on 50 sharpness, I feel like Skype and Steam text is way too blurry so I had to increase this).

Also, someone said earlier that RGB is a better choice YCbCr444. Anyone know how to calibrate it?

I know the settings are different for different people, but can someone share the settings these screens are supposed to be watched on? Then I at least can work from there and change it to my needs.
The TV in question is JS9000.

Oh please god no MOBA arguments. Those games are filled with deplorable human beings ;)

No argument there! :D DOTA2 is quite fun though once you learn to not suck constantly, and find the mute function. ;) I can't wait to play it on my JS9000. But the motorcycle comes first. Then the PC toys...

I can't find it stated clearly in any review.

For models with 120 hz panel (7000+)
When you set game mode is the panel working at 60 or 120 Hz ?

So...Because I'm such a compulsive person and love technology, I decided to buy the 55" JS9000. I just measured my office seating arrangement, and from where I sit to the back of my desk/wall is about 3 feet. I measured from the screen of my Dell(This is where I like it-close to my face as possible) and the screen bezel to where my face is, is a little less then 2 feet; about 21 inches. You guys think the 55" will be too damn big? I am totally in the "Bigger is always better" group, but if I have to wall mount the 55" just because it's to big, that might push me towards the 48". I guess I can always head over to BestBuy and take a look...Decisions, decisions

I stated my opinion on this a few posts back, but 3 ft from a 55" is seriously at the limit where you actually have to turn your head to see the corners of the screen lol. For me, this makes anything to do with desktop use and movies ridiculous. However, it is true that the closer you sit the sharper the image looks on these, and that has put me in a bit of a bind with my gaming needs.

All in all, I'd say if you can't sit just a bit further back, go with the smaller screen. Of course seeing it in person will truly answer this question for you.

I can't find it stated clearly in any review.

For models with 120 hz panel (7000+)
When you set game mode is the panel working at 60 or 120 Hz ?

That's a good question.

I was wondering how that worked, too, and especially after looking this over:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake...otion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion Specifically: "Samsung Motion Rate (2015)

Is any of this "real 120Hz" in any circumstance (7000 series and up) or is that still exclusive to the domain of PC monitors for now?

^ AFAIK, There are currently no actual 120Hz 4k TVs out there. That 120/240 CMR specification is not the panel refresh rate, but internal CPU processing rate, which is used only for interpolation settings.

This reply, which was accepted by rtings, can better explain it:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake...otion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

"For clarification, the refresh rates listed, even if they are only of the 120/240 Hz variety are still misleading. Here's why.
First off, there is no "LED" panel. All panels are LCD. LCD/LED refers to backlight only. All consumer LCD TVs have a fixed maximum refresh rate of 50/60 Hz depending on whether or not they are PAL or NTSC systems respectively. The 120/240 Hz specification is not the *panel* refresh rate, but instead the CPU's frame processing rate. That is, a 120 Hz TV can process 120 frames internally and a 240 Hz TV can process 240 frames internally. This internal refresh rate (I hate using that term for CPU processing) is of use only for frame interpolation on modern sets.
Frame interpolation is where elements of at least two successive frames are received and analyzed by the TV's CPU for processing. On a 120 Hz TV, the frame interpolation will work fairly well for 24 FPS and 30 FPS material as both fit into 120 at least three times. For 60 FPS material such as console games, computer display signals from a GPU, and certain broadcast signals, the frame interpolation used for motion blur reduction suffers from "hiccups". It is often referred to as the "hurry up and wait" effect where the motion smoothing will appear OK for a few frames, then suddenly de-sync for a couple of frames, and repeat the cycle. This is because there is no time to process the two key frames needed to go along with the third interpolated frame. At 60 FPS, on a 120 Hz TV, the TV can process two frames per refresh cycle, which does not leave enough time to inject an interpolated frame every other frame, which is necessary for motion smoothing to work properly. That is why TVs need processing at least three times the panel's refresh rate so that it can inject the interpolated frame in the time of each frame cycle. ....."

Edit: Just realized this was the same link that Q-BZ provided. Either you missed this in their comments below, or this doesn't answer your question at all.

Last edited:

Any ideas?

GTX 970 GPU.

This is actually a problem with the GTX900 video cards. They will not display the POST on the HDMI port for some reason. One way to work around it is get a quality short DVI (single link) to HDMI cable and connect your 4k television to the DVI port. It will still work at 4k 60p 4-4-4 and you will be able to see your BIOS configuration menu (usually entered by pressing DEL) on your monitor.

You will probably still miss the POST stuff because its over in a few seconds and the monitor takes longer then that to decide to turn on (mine typically turns on around the time windows displays the loading logo).

Amazing deal on 48" JS8500 from eBay/Buydig.

You get TV+Galaxy S6+$300 Visa gift card for $1500.

Source

I almost went for it, but the fine print on the S6 deal says it's limited to first 3000 people that redeem...

" The Offer is only available to the
first 3,000 valid Offer Claim Forms submitted and will close upon receipt of these valid Offer
Claim Forms. "

https://samsungpromotions.com/suhdgs6/en-us/Rules

Promotion could be over with by the time you get the TV

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back