New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I certainly can't figure out what's causing it, though. I'm hundreds of hours into the game and had zero problems until I swapped to this TV. I haven't investigated it much, yet, though, just haven't felt up to it. I'm a little worn out on dealing with electronics right now.

We're you running at 4k before?

cant spend my time going over 4000 posts, thanks though.

Plasma. 60" F8500. Excellent blacks, contrast, colors, clarity, etc. No light bleed, no motion blur, just pure, unadulterated sexiness.

Then go ahead and pick up a 48" JS9000 for the desktop. :D

Still waiting to pick up a 980Ti. Should pick one up one up in a few days. Denial is strong in the Fury thread. HDMI 2.0 is not needed, blah, blah, blah...

Got my new JS9000... still no jewel.

This one has a dark spot in the lower left portion of the screen. But it doesn't appear to be a dead pixel because all the subpixels are working - there is just something dark over two half-pixels? Maybe a piece of dirt...

Anyway, I noticed something way worse about this TV. The first one I got came with firmware 1207 and S/N ending in 4000XX. The replacement one came with firmware 1006 and S/N ending in 2000XX, meaning it was produced prior to the first TV.

I immediately noticed the display I just received as replacement is noticeably bad with ghosting/motion blur. It is just as bad as the 7500. Either I somehow overlooked this with my first JS9000, or Samsung has changed some things in manufacturing to prevent it on the newer TV's. I wish I could compare, but UPS picked up the old JS9000 right when they delivered the new one.

As such, I have made a request to Crutchfield for them to get me one with a S/N 4000XX or higher. If they can't do this, I have also asked to just send me back my other TV which had a bright dot in the center. This motion blur/ghosting issue is 100x worse than a bright dot. I don't know what the deal is, but I'll be sure to find out what I can and see what to do about it. I already updated to the latest FW and reset the TV making sure all the settings were the exact same. Nothing has changed in my setup.

Also, this TV seems to frameskip upon boot and will do so randomly thereafter! I confirmed this with Blurbuster's motion test, and just observing my mouse on the desktop.

i had this in another thread, but i figured yall get a kick out of it here.

3mwWGA8.jpg

48js9000 + 2 PB278Q running off a pair of 290x's until i either the hdmi 2.0 active adapter come to market (doubtful) or a pair of 980ti's get back in stock at my usual etailers.

omg this monitor is coding heaven!

Would you, please, tell me, if it's safe to install the latest firmware, through the USB ?
When i check online with the TV wireless, it shows that latest firmware is 1210 ( THERE ARE NO NEW UPDATES FOR YOU , AT THE MOMENT )
I checked now online with Google, it shows latest firmware 1218
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40JU6500FXZA
Is that the right one, for my TV ? I have the european version Samsung UE40JU6550
I don't understand : this file is 1.5 GB
Where is that going to be installed ? :D The tv doesen't have an HDD
Please, give me some more details about, guys
Thanks
PS : i repeat -- I LOVE THIS DISPLAY:D

Last edited:
Got my new JS9000... still no jewel.

This one has a dark spot in the lower left portion of the screen. But it doesn't appear to be a dead pixel because all the subpixels are working - there is just something dark over two half-pixels? Maybe a piece of dirt...

Anyway, I noticed something way worse about this TV. The first one I got came with firmware 1207 and S/N ending in 4000XX. The replacement one came with firmware 1006 and S/N ending in 2000XX, meaning it was produced prior to the first TV.

I immediately noticed the display I just received as replacement is noticeably bad with ghosting/motion blur. It is just as bad as the 7500. Either I somehow overlooked this with my first JS9000, or Samsung has changed some things in manufacturing to prevent it on the newer TV's. I wish I could compare, but UPS picked up the old JS9000 right when they delivered the new one.

As such, I have made a request to Crutchfield for them to get me one with a S/N 4000XX or higher. If they can't do this, I have also asked to just send me back my other TV which had a bright dot in the center. This motion blur/ghosting issue is 100x worse than a bright dot. I don't know what the deal is, but I'll be sure to find out what I can and see what to do about it. I already updated to the latest FW and reset the TV making sure all the settings were the exact same. Nothing has changed in my setup.

Also, this TV seems to frameskip upon boot and will do so randomly thereafter! I confirmed this with Blurbuster's motion test, and just observing my mouse on the desktop.

The firmware is also different by 200 revisions.

I think i found the solution to keep the nice colors / lower input lag
So, i have now Game mode, which disabled a lot of options i never use, but i can access some options, like COLOR , etc
It's better than regular mode, input lag is lower, text is looking great, brilliant colors, i'm more than happy :)

I think i found the solution to keep the nice colors / lower input lag
So, i have now Game mode, which disabled a lot of options i never use, but i can access some options, like COLOR , etc
It's better than regular mode, input lag is lower, text is looking great, brilliant colors, i'm more than happy :)

I'd be curious what settings you changed in order to be happy with game mode.

I personally find it rather awful compared to PC mode, and over-bright. I tried to turn down the in game gamma to compensate but that was still pretty bad.

If there is a good say toake game mode look better, I'd LOVE to know about it :)

With firmware 1217 on my JS9000, PC mode is better than ever, but game mode still feels better from a response perspective, but it is just too damned ugly to be usable IMHO. Why spend all this money on fancy video cards so I can turn up quality, only to have it ruined by the screen by using game mode? :p

So right now I'm sticking to PC mode, but at the same time I'm scared stiff that once I receive my second video card, the inherent lag in SLI added together with the PC mode screen lag will just be too much.

Guess I will know for sure on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Has anyone else repeatedly returned to your computer turned off, and your JS9000 you could have sworn you had turned off, only to find it on with the "HDMI1 no cable attached" blue box bouncing around the screen?

Either I am going crazy, or I think mine is turning itself on when I am not looking...

Also, has anyone tried overdriving the refresh rates on these?

Would be a fantastic bonus if we could get anything over 60hz to work.

Zarathustra[H];1041684835 said:
I'd be curious what settings you changed in order to be happy with game mode.

I personally find it rather awful compared to PC mode, and over-bright. I tried to turn down the in game gamma to compensate but that was still pretty bad.

If there is a good say toake game mode look better, I'd LOVE to know about it :)

With firmware 1217 on my JS9000, PC mode is better than ever, but game mode still feels better from a response perspective, but it is just too damned ugly to be usable IMHO. Why spend all this money on fancy video cards so I can turn up quality, only to have it ruined by the screen by using game mode? :p

So right now I'm sticking to PC mode, but at the same time I'm scared stiff that once I receive my second video card, the inherent lag in SLI added together with the PC mode screen lag will just be too much.

Zarathustra[H];1041684858 said:
Also, has anyone tried overdriving the refresh rates on these?

Would be a fantastic bonus if we could get anything over 60hz to work.

I still don't understand how you think game mode looks so bad. Nothing is different between PC and game mode for me, on any of the 4 TV's I've had... You have something setup incorrectly.

Also, tried 61 Hz and it blanks out. Not much room to work with anyway with HDMI 2.0.

I still don't understand how you think game mode looks so bad. Nothing is different between PC and game mode for me, on any of the 4 TV's I've had... You have something setup incorrectly.

When I enable game mode, brightness goes way up, colors become harsh with a bluis tint, and its as if someone slid the contrast slider to 1 bajillion.

It literally hurts my eyes. (And I mean literally in the literal sense, the opposite of figuratively, not the newfangled millenial incorrect definition :p )

Zarathustra[H];1041685004 said:
When I enable game mode, brightness goes way up, colors become harsh with a bluis tint, and its as if someone slid the contrast slider to 1 bajillion.

It literally hurts my eyes. (And I mean literally in the literal sense, the opposite of figuratively, not the newfangled millenial incorrect definition :p )

When I enable game mode on my 6700, there is a separate settings profile that gets triggered and you will need to adjust it.

Silly question, but did you check that?

I think it's the same reason you can see lag and others couldn't. Different strokes, different folks.

When I enable game mode on my 6700, there is a separate settings profile that gets triggered and you will need to adjust it.

Hmm.

I'll have to look at it again. From my recollection, most config options got greyed out when I enabled game mode, but maybe there were some I missed.

Also, I just realized, I haven't tried game mode since installing my 980ti. I wonder if part of the discrepancy may have had something to do with game mode via the HDMI 1.4a of my old Titan.

Long time lurker here. My 40JU6500 also has dust or something trapped in the panel in multiple places. Most noticeably in the bottom left corner a few pixels above the taskbar. This one came with firmware 1004 out of the box. Also came with a 8gb flash drive loaded with a firmware update. Wifi wouldn't work until I updated the firmware.

Here it is compared to a single black pixel in Photoshop. Black pixel on the top, dust on bottom.
GjugECL.jpg

Going back today. Hope the next one isn't worse. :rolleyes:

Going back today. Hope the next one isn't worse. :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. I hope I don't have to send a second one back (but from what I am hearing from others experiences, I may have to...)

I'm impressed with your picture of those pixels though. What did you use to take it?

On mine, I used my Nikon D90 with my old 35-70 f/2.8D and it's shitty macro mode, and it turned out pretty bad. Yours is nice and crisp!

Zarathustra[H];1041685077 said:
Hmm.

I'll have to look at it again. From my recollection, most config options got greyed out when I enabled game mode, but maybe there were some I missed.

Also, I just realized, I haven't tried game mode since installing my 980ti. I wonder if part of the discrepancy may have had something to do with game mode via the HDMI 1.4a of my old Titan.

Sharpness, contrast, brightness, color profile, backlight - everything changed over to something awful compared to my normal settings. Was quick work to change it all back, though.

On an unrelated note - are people really sending these back for 1 stuck or dead pixel? I have a single stuck pixel and am nearing the end of my Crutchfield RMA window - is it worth sending it back for that or am I missing something?

Sharpness, contrast, brightness, color profile, backlight - everything changed over to something awful compared to my normal settings. Was quick work to change it all back, though.

On an unrelated note - are people really sending these back for 1 stuck or dead pixel? I have a single stuck pixel and am nearing the end of my Crutchfield RMA window - is it worth sending it back for that or am I missing something?

I paid more money for my JS9000 than I paid for my first three cars. I expect there to be 0 defects on it when I receive it.

If I had bought a cheap panel, I would be more forgiving.

That, and once you notice the dead pixel, there is no going back. it's going to bug me until it gets replaced.

it's funny how you can not notice something at all, until the moment you do, and then you can't get it out of your head.

Last edited:
Here's my dark spot with the new one. You wouldn't think it's noticeable, but somehow it's very noticeable on light screens.

Also, what Zarathustra said... you might not notice something like this for months unless you look for it... but once you do, at least I, will always be bothered by it especially for the price.

18902571389_c7cbb9d88f_k_d.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041685004 said:

Set your brightness, backlight, and contrast to the same levels as PC mode... set sharpness in game mode to ZERO (0). Set picture options color tone to WARM 2 (most accurate white point). I also turn off digital noise and MPEG because it's not needed. Turn off whatever else. I leave Smart LED on LOW because it can help with contrast. I set black levels to DARK for a little more darkness. HDMI black level to NORMAL. If you still have issues, something is very wrong with your setup. LOL

It's up to you. I don't want to be the guy to take advantage of their awesome customer service, but at the same time, I'm spending $2,000... let me say that again, TWO-THOUSAND dollars, on a display. Yeah, I'm using it a little differently by sitting 2 feet from it and noticing a flaw others never would - but if Samsung didn't want people using it on PC's, they wouldn't have included 4:4:4 chroma support and such.

The only reason I'm not keeping this 2nd TV is because I feel like the ghosting/motion blur is way worse than the first (this TV is one of the first ones produced, the other one was a revised model to my guess) and the backlight bleed/uniformity is pretty bad. I am hoping the third time is the charm.

Zarathustra[H];1041685175 said:
I'm in the same boat. I hope I don't have to send a second one back (but from what I am hearing from others experiences, I may have to...)

I'm impressed with your picture of those pixels though. What did you use to take it?

On mine, I used my Nikon D90 with my old 35-70 f/2.8D and it's shitty macro mode, and it turned out pretty bad. Yours is nice and crisp!

Nothing too special. My old Canon S100 in macro mode.

Zarathustra[H];1041684835 said:

Or not... I based my time estimate on my last order, and the number of business days it took to reach me.

Last order (for the same part mind you):

- Order Placed: 06/17 (Wednesday), 10pm.
- Shipping Label Created in Edison NJ: 06/18 (Thursday) 12am
- Picked up by UPS: 06/18 (Thursday) 11:30am
- Arrived here in MA: 06/20 (Saturday) ~noon

So, ordered Wednesday late night, arrived Saturday noonish.

This order:

- Order Placed: 06/19 (Friday), 10pm (48 hours after first one due to limit of one per customer)
- Shipping Label Created in Indianapolis, IN: 06/23 (Tuesday) 3:30am
- Still hasn't been picked up by FedEx.

God knows how long it takes to arrive from Indianapolis. At this rate, I'm never going to get to test if I can live with the added input lag from SLI with this panel in PC mode :p

i had this in another thread, but i figured yall get a kick out of it here.

3mwWGA8.jpg

48js9000 + 2 PB278Q running off a pair of 290x's until i either the hdmi 2.0 active adapter come to market (doubtful) or a pair of 980ti's get back in stock at my usual etailers.

omg this monitor is coding heaven!

lol that's the exact setup I was going to have. I even have the exact keyboard and mouse. How do the PB278Q's line up?

lol that's the exact setup I was going to have. I even have the exact keyboard and mouse. How do the PB278Q's line up?

I would be interested in this as well.

When I setup my triple monitor setup with the 48" Samsung I was trying to recreate what I had with my triple Dell u3011's - seamless mouse movement between the windows. I tried multiple setups with the Samsung before I came to realize that the main display (48" Samsung with 4k) didn't require the side monitoring to line up as the 4k resolution make it possible to have most windows on the same display. The only place this was different was when I would game on the center monitor, but wanted remote desktop/browser/etc to still be displayed and the side monitors became more task oriented vs all the displays together.

The biggest consideration I think for the outside monitors is the text size - i.e. dot pitch/PPI.

I hope this helps.

If anyone ins interested, I wound up hooking up the free sound bar I got with the promotion to my 60" Panny Plasma in the livingroom.

Hookup was painless via optical cable.

Soundbar is a little narrow for a 60" TV, but still sounds OK. Not too impressed with the high frequency response (built in speakers almost sound better there) but mids and bass (due to included wireless sub located in corner of room) are much better.

I might also be able to turn up the high pitches to make the highs better. Haven't played with it much yet.

I tried playing both TV speakers and sound bar at the same time to get both good highs and good lowa, but they don't quite sync, creating an echo, which kind of sucks. The sync setting, while sufficient to match on screen movement, doesn't have close enough steps to avoid an echo effect.

I don't think I ever would have bought something like this, but I'' never say no to Free. Free is my favorite price. I would rather have subtracted an additional $200 from the price of the JS9000 though.

19090988742_d020a76487_c.jpg

Last edited:
I think the JS9000 is too much of a "TV".
Sometimes less is more. JU6000 and JU7000 are just right.

Gotta disagree, bud. After I tried the JS9000 there was no going back for me. No way. For me, it was "just right." A 40" version of it would be awesome, too.

We should consider ourselves fortunate that they make so many different models and sizes to suit the wildly different preferences that we've witnessed in this thread. Not everyone wants a 48", not everyone wants curved, and not everyone wants the punchier colors of the JS series.

Yep, you guys were right. I goofed.

I assumed it would keep the settings the same for both, and assumed that the poor quality I was seeing was due to game mode being awful, when in fact they just use different settings profiles, and the default one for game mode is pretty bad.

I'm very happy now. It's actually tough to tell the difference between game and PC mode now, unless I look at smallish text. If I had to guess, game mode is not using 4:4:4 chroma, but that's fine, cause it looks good for all games purposes. :)

Gotta disagree, bud. After I tried the JS9000 there was no going back for me. No way. For me, it was "just right." A 40" version of it would be awesome, too.

We should consider ourselves fortunate that they make so many different models and sizes to suit the wildly different preferences that we've witnessed in this thread. Not everyone wants a 48", not everyone wants curved, and not everyone wants the punchier colors of the JS series.

I understand the personal preference argument.
Just saying this quickly escalated from affordable 4K monitor to high-end TV reviews.

Zarathustra[H];1041686254 said:
Yep, you guys were right. I goofed.

I assumed it would keep the settings the same for both, and assumed that the poor quality I was seeing was due to game mode being awful, when in fact they just use different settings profiles, and the default one for game mode is pretty bad.

I'm very happy now. It's actually tough to tell the difference between game and PC mode now, unless I look at smallish text. If I had to guess, game mode is not using 4:4:4 chroma, but that's fine, cause it looks good for all games purposes. :)

That's what we've been saying all along (well before the JS9000 train hit, even). PC and Game mode look virtually identical. Some people were acting like our eyes were broken or something, but I posted pictures that someone else took of PC vs. Game mode comparing the two for Pete's sake, and they are 99% identical. The proof is right there.

I think that Honeydew or Mr. Neverbicker need to revisit this because it's most likely a settings issue. There is no reason for Game mode to be called atrocious or awful or anything of that sort when so many of us have experienced the opposite when proper settings are applied.

I believe it was confirmed that Game mode runs at 4:2:2 and that's why there is a difference with text.

I understand the personal preference argument.
Just saying this quickly escalated from affordable 4K monitor to high-end TV reviews.

Oh, absolutely. Prior to this thread, I was looking at the 32" 4K monitor from BenQ which was actually priced higher than the 40" 6500 and 6700, making those an incredible value. The curved 34" ultrawide monitors are priced even higher than the $1,000 BenQ when not on sale...they're more like $1,100-$1,200. And they're not even 4K!!!

I do have to say, I'm really surprised that the JS8500 didn't get more attention. There was some discussion about how it was an incredible value compared to the JU7500 that's right around the same price point (the 48JS8500 is actually $100 less than what I paid for my 48JU7500). But I guess anyone looking at the JU7500 knows that they want the curve, hence not even considering the JS8500 and going straight to the JS9000.

I have the 48JU6700 and after owning it for 2mos I can honestly say I could have lived without the curve. Oh well, it's still a great display.:)

Back