New Samsung 4k for everyone.

I thought the only difference between the 6700 and 7500 was 3D and some other "TV" features but they shared the same panel. Now there's this talk of the 7500 having a better panel?

7100/7500 is a great upgrade if you use it as a TV as well. The glossy screen with improved contrast and improved motion blur is worth it for me. However, if anyone is currently content with their panel, No need to upgrade. You don't know what you're missing so it's better to keep it that way.

Blur or whatever you wanna call it, doesn't change the fact that that the posts i'm reading say its not a great fit for gaming...

Trust me, I want it to work.. but i'm trying to be objective and not be blinded by "OMG 40" monitor"

Couple points:

1. Anti-"blur" features seem to be part of the paycheck for various marketing depts. If you wave your hands or anything fast, you see blur; it's simply how the natural world works.

2. Calling something and the opposite of something the same term is just confusing. It's like saying that blender is too slow, but it might be too fast, too, because slow = fast.

^^^ True. I wasn't content, if I was, I never would've known/cared the difference.

Couple points:

1. Anti-"blur" features seem to be part of the paycheck for various marketing depts. If you wave your hands or anything fast, you see blur; it's simply how the natural world works.

2. Calling something and the opposite of something the same term is just confusing. It's like saying that blender is too slow, but it might be too fast, too, because slow = fast.

This is why I prefer the term pixel response time instead of blur, and that's what it used to be called. Slow pixel response causes motion to look blurred. Seems people just use the term blur now.

^^^ are you still in your return window?
I'd seriously look into the 7500. Not to dissuade a brother from his contentment, of course!
If PWM is a nonissue for you it is the best of everything. Just beautiful.

For sure. I have several more weeks before my return window ends.

I was gonna say, sounds like the 7500 might be an upgrade if the PWM on these doesn't bother me, and so far I've been good to go.

Damn you Brahmzy...I feel like I'm going to have a 48JU7500 on the way next week. ;) :p

I was gonna say, sounds like the 7500 might be an upgrade if the PWM on these doesn't bother me, and so far I've been good to go.

Damn you Brahmzy...I feel like I'm going to have a 48JU7500 on the way next week. ;) :p

I'm jealous - trust me!

This is why I prefer the term pixel response time instead of blur, and that's what it used to be called. Slow pixel response causes motion to look blurred.

It's not slow response, just a very small bit of residual persistence. If you look at the rting 6/7 series pic carefully, there's a tiny trail to the left (the logo and cam appears to be moving to the right in their test).

IMO folks are being trained by marketing depts to specifically look for this, and making a much bigger deal out of it than it is. Motion in real life often has much more apparent persistence, so I wonder how much the fix is being sold for.

---

Also the glossy coating vs semi-gloss is a tradeoff. The latter reflect more but the edges of its reflections are less sharp. Personally I've always preferred more matte. Again the market line on that is the slight "graining" to more matte coating is supposedly awful, but at least they're consistent whereas reflections are way more annoying.

Last edited:
This is why I prefer the term pixel response time instead of blur, and that's what it used to be called. Slow pixel response causes motion to look blurred. Seems people just use the term blur now.

Yup. I call it ghosting, which is not the same as blur. It's residual images due to pixel response.

I thought the only difference between the 6700 and 7500 was 3D and some other "TV" features but they shared the same panel. Now there's this talk of the 7500 having a better panel?

Not a "better panel" so much as more TV specific enhancements and possibly faster pixel response. Which could result in less motion blur when gaming.

But for all you lurkers reading this prior to a possible purchase and not posting, the 6700 is still really, really good. The vast majority of us have been blown away by them. I almost feel as if it's my duty to test a 7500 so that I can add to the knowledge base of comparisons.

It's not slow response, just a very small bit of residual persistence. If you look at the rting 6/7 series pic carefully, there's a tiny trail to the left (the logo and cam appears to be moving to the right in their test).

IMO folks are being trained by marketing depts to specifically look for this, and making a much bigger deal out of it than it is. Motion in real life often has much more apparent persistence, so I wonder how much the fix is being sold for.

You don't have the panel. You like to tell people who have it that they don't know what they're talking about. You should stop. The image on the Rting review is not representative of what we are seeing.

They're making a big deal deal out of it because it is a big deal. For the last decade it has been a big deal. We are the ones demanding no blurring. Has nothing to do with marketing. The first LCDs were atrocious except for the awful TN panels that I had to use out of necessity.
Just because things in real life can blur doesn't mean I want my freaking display creating artificial blur. It doesn't work like that. That is not how our brains/eyes work. It is horribly unnatural.

Here are other added stuff that may or may not be relevant:

Improved motion blur, 24p pull down, glossy screen with better contrast, less ambient reflection, 240hz something something, led local dimming, wii like remote that you can move a cursor' and 444 on all inputs if you plan to connect more than one PC.

Not a "better panel" so much as more TV specific enhancements and possibly faster pixel response. Which could result in less motion blur when gaming.

But for all you lurkers reading this prior to a possible purchase and not posting, the 6700 is still really, really good. The vast majority of us have been blown away by them. I almost feel as if it's my duty to test a 7500 so that I can add to the knowledge base of comparisons.

Ok guess I'll still be going with the 6700 then. I'm not concerned with having slightly less motion blur as motion clarity isn't why I'm after this display.

After 24 hours I can say I'm glad I didn't purchase this with the intention of gaming on it. Have a 2nd screen attached specifically for that use. As a large workspace with a lot of usable pixels it's great. My 4K Go pro videos also look amazing on it.

What I notice most is moving a white window over a dark wallpaper. There is a slow enough response time that it looks like the leading edge of the window is slightly transparent. In FPS games it's becomes a blurry mess when moving quickly.

You don't have the panel. You like to tell people who have it that they don't know what they're talking about. You should stop. The image on the Rting review is not representative of what we are seeing.

The fairly minor persistence for 6 panels is visible on the rting pics. People can see for themselves how severe it is. It's not visible on the 7.

I believe you tried taking a photo of it and ended with a multi-frame composite where no blurring was visible.

I don't know what those claiming blur are seeing, but I do know something about how displays work.

It doesn't work like that. That is not how our brains/eyes work. It is horribly unnatural.

Anyone born with sight can observe that nature displays motion blur, and it would be difficult to argue that our visual system is somehow maladapted to this.

What some gamers are looking for instead is something which looks unnatural but can provide a very slight advantage because the target or whatever is bit more clear than it would be in real life.

Here are other added stuff that may or may not be relevant:

Improved motion blur, 24p pull down, glossy screen with better contrast, less ambient reflection, 240hz something something, led local dimming, wii like remote that you can move a cursor' and 444 on all inputs if you plan to connect more than one PC.

6700 has the Wii-like feature in the remote as well, just FYI. Are we sure the LED dimming is different? First I've seen that..

Ok guess I'll still be going with the 6700 then. I'm not concerned with having slightly less motion blur as motion clarity isn't why I'm after this display.

Then i would go with the 6700 without question (IF you're going to be using it primarily as a monitor). The TV specific enhancements of the 7xxx series won't benefit you much...and let me be clear, the 6700 excels for gaming and productivity. I feel like we're splitting hairs here.

Sorry for being lazy, but I need to get some sleep so I'm going to ask a question not specifically related...

Considering 4x 23/24" Dell 1080p panels to flank my 48" 6700. I have a single Nvidia GTX 980. I'm assuming that the card can run 5 displays - 3 DP, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI.

Anyone know if the 980 can't push 5 displays? I found 1 refrence on Reddit saying only 4 displays off 1 card.

Thanks

Is the input lag bad enough for the 6500 and 6700 that they shouldn't be used for PC gaming? From my understanding, you can't do 4:4:4 and game mode at the same time, right?

Has anyone gotten the 48" 6500 (flat)?

I know people seem to be pretty hyped up on the 48" curved, but I'm just debating whether the markup is for me.

My other option is the 40" flat. I'm currently very used to my viewing distance on a 23" HD monitor, and to "test" the transition to a 40" UHD monitor I've been scaling my browser text to 90% (but the DPI difference is more like 86%). I'd rather not have my viewing distance have to decrease to maintain a similar level of clarity because I know the area of light will be that much more overwhelming and bright, so I was considering the 48", but at that point, I don't know if the curve is necessary or simply...recommended.

P.S. I've been unable to find the radius of the Curve. Any info on that? Approx how many inches forward the edges are on the Z-plane compared to the Center?

Is the input lag bad enough for the 6500 and 6700 that they shouldn't be used for PC gaming? From my understanding, you can't do 4:4:4 and game mode at the same time, right?

I wouldn't worry about the input lag. If you have KD of 5, you will still have it. If you suck like me, you will still suck. 20ms won't make a difference. 444 only really matter with desktop work. However, the colors are off between the two as certain processing is turned off on game mode. You can fix game mode to how you like it with the color settings.

Do you know if there are any other differences besides the remote and the curved screen?

None that I know of.

I know people seem to be pretty hyped up on the 48" curved, but I'm just debating whether the markup is for me.

My other option is the 40" flat. I'm currently very used to my viewing distance on a 23" HD monitor, and to "test" the transition to a 40" UHD monitor I've been scaling my browser text to 90% (but the DPI difference is more like 86%). I'd rather not have my viewing distance have to decrease to maintain a similar level of clarity because I know the area of light will be that much more overwhelming and bright, so I was considering the 48", but at that point, I don't know if the curve is necessary or simply...recommended.

P.S. I've been unable to find the radius of the Curve. Any info on that? Approx how many inches forward the edges are on the Z-plane compared to the Center?

48" is enormous, you should go curve if that's the size you want. I returned it for a 40". Much. More manageable. 48" at 3' distance it's IMAX. Bring your sun shades as well.

I wouldn't worry about the input lag. If you have KD of 5, you will still have it. If you suck like me, you will still suck. 20ms won't make a difference. 444 only really matter with desktop work. However, the colors are off between the two as certain processing is turned off on game mode. You can fix game mode to how you like it with the color settings.

None that I know of.

48" is enormous, you should go curve if that's the size you want. I returned it for a 40". Much. More manageable. 48" at 3' distance it's IMAX. Bring your sun shades as well.

Thank you. I've always heard that input lag in LCD TVs makes them unusable, but they've always been OK for me (with consoles). I was trying to decide between a 40 or 55'', but maybe the latter will be too big (it would be nice for multiplayer and watching shows with other people sometimes, though).

Last edited:

The curve is ~4.x meter (which is about how much these panels bend, also means the bigger panels are more curved when scaled), so hardly wrap-around. It's more a pretty nice to have than necessity. It's really not that much more on these models compared to the premium it often goes for.

With respect to panel size, it's a matter of managing the distance to the display. A flat 48/55 is same as a flat 40 with some more inches of space, and a more favorable focus distance for your eyes.

Just finished a few hours playing around and benchmarking my Titan X on the 48ju6700, and I think part of the problem in the thread, why we're seeing so many "I see blur...I don't see blur" debates is based on whatever display you're coming from.

For me, I'm coming from gaming on a 2011 Sharp 70" 735 model 1080p LCD, and a Dell 3008 30" display.

Both of which are shit for gaming, with big lag and heavy blur. But I've been using them so long, that the 6700 actually has LESS blur than what I'm used to, lol.

So obviously YMMV.

I'm positive that if im were coming off a year spent with a fast <10ms 144Hz display, especially with g-sync, the 6700 would likely be a mess to me.

Bottom line: Take advantage of the return policies all reputable retailers offer and test drive them in your own home. Only way to know for sure, no amount of Internet advice can solve this debate. For me, I've decided that the 6700 is excellent, and won't be doing what i thought I would before spending some time with it, which is to return it for a 7500.

After finally getting the Titan X yesterday and having a ton of time to evaluate the whole setup in games, I'm happy with the result.

Does web pages scroll smooth with the ju6/7 series? Like scrolling in this forum for example?

Just finished a few hours playing around and benchmarking my Titan X on the 48ju6700, and I think part of the problem in the thread, why we're seeing so many "I see blur...I don't see blur" debates is based on whatever display you're coming from.

For me, I'm coming from gaming on a 2011 Sharp 70" 735 model 1080p LCD, and a Dell 3008 30" display.

Both of which are shit for gaming, with big lag and heavy blur. But I've been using them so long, that the 6700 actually has LESS blur than what I'm used to, lol.

So obviously YMMV.

I'm positive that if im were coming off a year spent with a fast <10ms 144Hz display, especially with g-sync, the 6700 would likely be a mess to me.

Bottom line: Take advantage of the return policies all reputable retailers offer and test drive them in your own home. Only way to know for sure, no amount of Internet advice can solve this debate. For me, I've decided that the 6700 is excellent, and won't be doing what i thought I would before spending some time with it, which is to return it for a 7500.

After finally getting the Titan X yesterday and having a ton of time to evaluate the whole setup in games, I'm happy with the result.

Great post. And FWIW, let's not forget that Dan D went from 3 ROG Swifts to a Samsung and I don't think he has at any time complained about blur/image persistence/pixel response/whateveryouwannacallit.

After thinking about it last night, I'm really tempted to do what you've decided to do, and that is to just sit back and relax and enjoy my 6700. I don't have one problem with it whatsoever, yet it's easy to buy into the hype that the 7500 will somehow increase my enjoyment even more. But honestly, I'm kind of ready to be done with the whole buying, testing, returning thing. One part of me is curious and the other part of me wants to be done with it and get back to the blissful state that I was in previously, lol. I don't know - I'll have to think about it over the weekend.

But this is sort of what I meant earlier when I talked about overanalyzing...it causes people like you and I who are totally happy with what we have to second guess ourselves, and it probably causes a lot of confusion for people reading the thread.

Short story, and I'll iterate it again...I think the 6700 is the sweet spot, so if you're thinking about buying one of these I'd start there before dropping another $450 on the 7500. I can almost guarantee that most people who are not sensitive to PWM will be incredibly happy with it. I believe Brahmzy and Cyph when they say that they noticed improvements on the 7500, but whether or not it's worth the money is up to the individual to decide.

I'm sensitive to image tearing and lag. I'm not that sensitive to ghosting, motion blur or PWM issues. If I had used the Swifts for a lot longer I might feel differently but I used Dell 3007WFP-HC's for a number of years. The Samsung JU6700 has similar response times and image characteristics. The contrasts and the colors are far ahead of the ROG Swifts and their TN panels. So there has been give and take either way. As I've said I am aware of the JU6700's weaknesses but I can live with them and feel its a better option compared to either of my previous monitor configurations.

I got my Samsung 48JU7500 yesterday.... awsome build quality!!

I tested the panel in game mode with my Leo Bodnar tester and got 20ms.... fantastic!

Couple of things, in Game Mode remember to reduce the sharpness to 0, at least lower the contrast to 90 and keep brightness at 45, backlight at 10 and turn off the dynamic contrast in the advanced settings menu. Color temp is best at warm 2 unless you can get the tv ISF calibrated.

I have had many tvs, including the Pioneer pro 101 ( ISF calibrated by D-Nice), Samsung 65h8000 ( ISF calibrated by D-Nice), Samsung 55F7100 ( ISF calibrated by D-Nice) and the Samsung 32d5000 ( ISF calibrated by D-Nice), I used the last one as a computer monitor for many years. It had very obvious PWM and it bothered me and gave me headaches.

This new 48JU7500 does not give me headaches and has a solid looking picture, the 32d5000 did not have a solid looking picture, it looked like the Kuro where I could see the flicker. I think they have improved the algorythm for the PWM on these newer displays as this one doesnt bother me :)

I am putting my pc together tonite with the Titan X and plan to try out a lot of games as this is why I got this tv.

Will post pics and full review once I get more time with it.

Bottom line, if your on the fence take it from someone that has had many highend monitors and tvs, these are the real deal! I would if money isnt an issue going for the JU7500 series. The glossy screen and better looking bezel for me was worth it alone.

Just a quick list of tvs and monitors I have/had:

Sony 34XBR800 CRT
Sony 24FW900 CRT monitor from Uncle Vito
Pioneer Kuro Pro 101 ( ISF calibrated by D-Nice)
Pioneer Kuro Pro1150
Samsung 65H8000 (ISF calibrated by D-Nice)
Samsung 32D5000 (ISF calibrated by D-Nice) used as a pc monitor
Samsung 55F7100 (ISF calibrated by D-Nice)
Sony 52HX909
Apple Cinema Display 27 1440p
Samsung S23A700D 120hz
Samsung S24D590pl
Samsung S27D590p
Samsung F2380mx
Samsung S27C750p

Now the last monitors I highlighted I bought after the recommendation of NCX's reviews.Having owned all of those monitors I can safley say overall the 48JU7500 destroys them all...period. Also I owned most of those monitors longer then NCX as he doesnt keep them for that long as far as I can tell.

Those monitors cannot compete with the quailty of these 4K tvs, they just can't. Yes some dont have PWM, yes some on paper have somethings better but overall... no they dont come close. Take it from someone that has purchased all of these. I also tested the Leo Bodnar on all of these, the lowest one was the Samsung S24D590pl, the top bar was 3.4ms, middle was 9ms, and the difference between that and the 48JU7500 at 20ms is unnoticable to me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
For those who purchased a curved model, why did you buy it? And are you happy with it? I've read some articles calling it a gimmick, and others saying it's more immersive.

For those who purchased a curved model, why did you buy it? And are you happy with it? I've read some articles calling it a gimmick, and others saying it's more immersive.

Well the short answer is that the curve is a gimmick some of the time. I don't think it's worth having in a TV you'll sit several feet away from, but in a monitor I like it.

I have had a 70" 1080P Sharp, a 65" HU7250 4k and of course the JU6700. The first two were/are in my home theatre room. The 65" Samsung replaced the dead Sharp 70" and I personally believe the curve is a gimmick in that scenario. When you are watching it straight on you can't even tell that the display is curved. At off angles the curvature of the display actually creates issues with the geometry and thus is distorted for people viewing it from certain angles. So I concluded very quickly that the curve was nothing more than a gimmick and it doesn't do anything for picture quality or immersion.

When it comes to monitor use my opinion is a bit different. I had angled my Eyefinity / Surround monitors in the past which made them somewhat easier to see and I felt that this was more immersive. So when I bought the JU6700 the curvature seemed to be closer to what I was used to. At 48" inches I think it makes the corners easier to see and it feels more like the image is wrapped around you and that it covers more of your peripheral vision thus increasing immersion factor. Were I to go with a 40" JU6500/6700 I'd opt for the 6500 as the curvature would be unnecessary at that size.

That's been the general consensus in this thread. At 48" it isn't such a gimmick when talking about using this display as a monitor. At 40" it is unnecessary and possibly undesirable. My local Fry's Electronics had the 40" JU6500 and the 48" 6700 so that was the comparison I made. The pixel pitch was fine on the 48" and even it seemed small in the store. The 40" seemed inadequate to replace my 47.5" portrait 3x27" ROG Swift setup. The 48" JU6700 seemed like a good choice.

I have the 48" 6500. I measured out the size of the 40" from the specs listed on Samsung's website and just set my windows to run at that size. It is much more manageable than the 48" at full screen and I just use a darker Windows background.

However, doing it this way, I have extra real estate for gaming and any additional windows, if needed. I also have a couch in my office that is roughly 9.5' from the screen, so it's nice to be able to have a larger screen when I want to game from a distance.

Just an idea. In the end, it's what works best for you.

I like the curved 40" TV.
The edges feel the same distance from my eyes as the center. The 40" has been a very comfortable transition for desktop use.

I like the curved 40" TV.
The edges feel the same distance from my eyes as the center. The 40" has been a very comfortable transition for desktop use.

Agree - couldn't imagine flat or bigger. I'd go flat before I went bigger. For me, the 40" curved 4K is the perfect balance between dpi, size, distance (for my vision) for productivity. I'm sure I'd get along fine with a 48 for gaming, but I need to to sit so close for productivity, the 48 wouldn't work.

So this morning I was playing around with 18-20 backlight and adjusting the Contrast/Gamma/Brightness down to compensate. It's is definitely better than the other end of the spectrum of trying to combat the searing whites and having the backlight down in the sub-5 area (for PWM). The problem of course with doing that is the image quality just goes to hell (mainly contrast/blacks). But I'm experimenting, again, to see if there's any way I can tolerate the backlight up that high, which of course alleviates some of the PWM.

Question: Can I perform any backlight PWM testing with just an iPhone 6 camera? Or do I need a digicam with adjustable shutters/ISO etc to do the tests? And does someone have any links for a guide to do the single-wide pixel PWM test? BL18 is a big step towards acceptable image quality over BL20, but I think I can tell a difference in PWM between the two.

Also, I played some more BF4 this morning with fresh eyes and the 7500 is really an amazingly good gaming monitor for it's size. There is a substantial difference in how fast it is over the 6700. Not trying to beat the dead horse even more, just sayin'. I have zero issues with the level of blur from the 7500.

Last edited:
For the few people that are interested in the Samsung 40/48 4K display in a multi-monitor setup, here are some mock ups that I did in Visio to get a better feel for overall physical size (and I have the comparable resolutions, PPI and pixel pitch listed). For a setup like this, you would most likely rotate the side monitor in 30-45 degrees so that it creates (or continues) a curved appearance which is crucial for going wider than just the 40/48 display.

All sizes should be relative to each other both in the individual images as well as between the 4 images. I hope these help others out:

Samsung 40in JU6700 4K with dual Dell 24" U2415H 1200p in portrait:
lxXPm5R.png

Samsung 40in JU6700 4K with dual Dell 27" U2715H 1440p in portrait:
NWSQCzt.png

Samsung 48in JU6700 4K with dual Dell 27" U2715H 1440p in portrait:
mRCwUb7.png

Samsung 48in JU6700 4K with quad Dell 24" U2414H 1080p in stacked landscape:
JdnHZgL.png

Last edited:
LOL - not interested in gaming across all that, only on the Samsung. I've used a 3 system setup for years, and would switch between all 3 displays on my main system to one display per system and use Multiplicity Pro to navigate between the 3. The quad 1080p setup really intrigues me as I could have my 2 other computers in the top left and top right monitors, and still have 3 monitors for my main system (with the ability to do all 5 via different inputs).

I was really unsure until I created the pictures, and that is helping me lean to doing the quad setup.

Tint for white leds at lower current will be bit warmer, but not all that much for the ratio we're talking about here, <<10x.

It really depends on the LED. Due to the phosphor coating, less light should have it get warmed up a bit by the consistent phosphor thickness, but I have seen some weird behaviors with white LEDs at different power levels. I wouldn't consider a green-shift to be useable.

Back