New Samsung 4k for everyone.

1080p is a perfect scale for any 4K set with no scaling artifact.

Agreed.

4k is exactly 2x the resolution on both width and height as 1080p. Because of this, scaling up should look good, and also be very low intensity (thus low lag) compared to scaling from other resolutions.

That being said, at 1080p, these screens are large for normal computing differences, so while the scaling will be good quality, 1080p may look and feel rather low resolution at normal computing differences.

Also, the 980ti is surprisingly good at 4k. The newest titles won't necessarily play well at 4k, but slightly older titles should play just fine.

My game of choice is Red Orchestra 2 (released in 2011 on UE3 engine. All of the included maps play pinned at 60fps (with adaptive vsync) at 4k, with the settings turned up, FXAA on high on just one 980ti.

Some community maps are more intense though, and with the same setting s can drop things down to the high 40's.

So all I am saying is, depending on the title (and what you consider an acceptable frame rate) one 980ti may be playable at 4k.

My frame rate expectations are as follows:
1.) Multiplayer FPS: Never drop below 60fps
2.) Single player FPS: Never drop below 30fps
3.) Real time Multiplayer strategy: Never drop below 30fps
4.) Turn based strategy (like Civ5). 15fps is actually rather playable.

Your expectations may vary, but depending on the games you play, their age, etc, one 980ti may be enough.

Uh, hdmi/dvi converters come with every video card. They don't have anything inside except wiring.

> I would stay away from any converters as none of them support HDMI2.

The converters are just simple (& short) electrical connectors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding regarding all this is that HDMI is only electrically compatible with single link DVI. Dual link DVI requires an active adapter which introduces lag, and no such active adapter has been released for HDMI2 yet.

hey guys, i just got my 55ju6500. I think I got a defective one, unless these units have an option to turn off the 1 inch purple circles that are all over the bottom half of the TV.

Anyone get something like that?

hey guys, i just got my 55ju6500. I think I got a defective one, unless these units have an option to turn off the 1 inch purple circles that are all over the bottom half of the TV.

Anyone get something like that?

Pic?

I've certainly never seen anything like that.

Zarathustra[H];1041698809 said:
Pic?

I've certainly never seen anything like that.

20150629_114352.jpg

I called bestbuy, they'll come pick this up and bring me a new one. I was debating whether to return this and get the 7100 one...

They arrived with the box being open, they claimed they tested it or something at the store...

IM back!

IMG

And

IMG

Now i need a bigger Desk =(.

Dude... >_<

You're gonna be so pissed when one of those falls off the edge of the desk. It may not be a good idea, from a structural standpoint with such a large display, to only have part of the stand supported either. But hey, it's not my money. :D

Seems like it would be terribly claustrophobic having those side displays at such an extreme angle, and you're kind of forcing yourself to sit close that way. Yeah, you need a much bigger desk. XD

Not sure if you even meant to reply to me? Nobody has confirmed that you could do 4k@60Hz with DVI to HDMI before that post, at least on this forum. People were buying multiple 9xx cards to use the HDMI ports just to drive multiple 4k displays.

HDMI is the same electrical spec as DVI and has always been since the beginning so it's odd that it would come as a surprise.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding regarding all this is that HDMI is only electrically compatible with single link DVI. Dual link DVI requires an active adapter which introduces lag, and no such active adapter has been released for HDMI2 yet.

Sure, but the point of HDMI 2.0 is 4k@60hz support over one link so I'm not sure what dual link dvi has to do with it.

---

Looking back at context, Ziran by "hdmi 2.0 converter" maybe meant hdmi <--> display-port, which is right. There aren't any that support hdmi 2.0, but it'll be pretty awesome if/when there are since it means folks won't be limited to geforce 900 series cards.

Last edited:
Sure, but the point of HDMI 2.0 is 4k@60hz support over one link so I'm not sure what dual link dvi has to do with it.

Well, the point of my comment is for people who want to use a DVI to HDMI2 adapter for 4K output to one of these screens. I don't think this will work, as you can't combine two links of DVI into one HDMI plug without an active adapter, and a single DVI link makes out at 1920x1200 at 60hz.

So, the point I am trying to make is that based on my previous understanding of the relationship between DVI and HDMI, is that even if you are HDMI2 after the DVI to HDMI adapter, a passive adapter will only convert one link, thus maxing out at 1920x1200 at 60hz.

You'd need a dual link DVI to HDMI2 adapter to make it work, and that would have to be active (and thus introducing lag)

HDMI is the same electrical spec as DVI and has always been since the beginning so it's odd that it would come as a surprise.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding regarding all this is that HDMI is only electrically compatible with single link DVI. Dual link DVI requires an active adapter which introduces lag, and no such active adapter has been released for HDMI2 yet.

---

Looking back at context, Ziran by "hdmi 2.0 converter" maybe meant hdmi <--> display-port, which is right. There aren't any that support hdmi 2.0, but it'll be pretty awesome if/when there are since it means folks won't be limited to geforce 900 series cards.

I'll check to see if I have a HDMI to DVI adapter (pretty sure I have a few) and I will test it. My guess is that you want the least amount of connection points for this high of bandwidth signal, so adding an adapter introduces 2 additions connection points.

I'll post results in a bit.

On the topic of a single 980Ti with 2 DVIs - if anyone can verify that it will work, that would be awesome. I have a Gigabyte 980Ti but with only 1 DVI. I'll return it if 2 DVIs and the 1 HDMI ports can all do 4k 60hz 4:4:4!

Zarathustra[H];1041700308 said:
Well, the point of my comment is for people who want to use a DVI to HDMI2 adapter for 4K output to one of these screens. I don't think this will work, as you can't combine two links of DVI into one HDMI plug without an active adapter, and a single DVI link makes out at 1920x1200 at 60hz.

So, the point I am trying to make is that based on my previous understanding of the relationship between DVI and HDMI, is that even if you are HDMI2 after the DVI to HDMI adapter, a passive adapter will only convert one link, thus maxing out at 1920x1200 at 60hz.

You'd need a dual link DVI to HDMI2 adapter to make it work, and that would have to be active (and thus introducing lag)

DVI is just a physical connection. Normally electrically it runs HDMI 1.4 with most cards. With GTX900 the engine driving HDMI (and DVI) is 2.0 so that is why it works. That is why a single link DVI can drive 4k60p 4-4-4 in a GTX900 series of cards. All you are doing is changing a physical connector (wires). There is no additional circuitry involved and no lag.

A dual link just adds a second data lane to DVI, but HDMI standard only has one data lane. Active converters that try to interpret the second link in a dual link DVI work at HDMI 1.4 speeds so they will not do 4k60p

I'll check to see if I have a HDMI to DVI adapter (pretty sure I have a few) and I will test it. My guess is that you want the least amount of connection points for this high of bandwidth signal, so adding an adapter introduces 2 additions connection points.

I'll post results in a bit.

It only introduces 1 addition connection point. Of course the less the better, but longer [unbalanced] cables are generally worse problem and an adapter is very short; the typical ones are just two connectors soldered to the same pcb.

---

They will be limited to 900 series cards, HDMI 2.0 still has to be on the card for it to work.
It's the signal being sent through the connection that's important.

Dude... >_<

You're gonna be so pissed when one of those falls off the edge of the desk. It may not be a good idea, from a structural standpoint with such a large display, to only have part of the stand supported either. But hey, it's not my money. :D

Yeah, just looking at that pic scares the shit out of me.

I actually got mine yesterday (JU6700) and had to order an HDMI cable. I'm temporarily using an HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice and that seems to work but I have an HDMI cable from Amazon coming today just to be safe. This is the cable I used: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2408&seq=1&format=2 which says "up to 2560x1600" but my computer was displaying 4k @ 60 Hz, unless it was lying. I did try out game mode and the text was pretty crappy, similar to the pic I posted before. Switched it back to PC mode and launched a game, looks damn amazing but a bit dark. Gotta tune it still.

Not sure what firmware is on it, how do you check that? I did get a little USB stick with the TV saying it had the "latest" firmware on it so I'm thinking it might have older firmware on it.

Has anyone used the multi-screen option on the JU6500 or JU6700? I'm interested in using the smart functions on one side and then computer on the other side.

It also looks like Samsung is releasing new TVs. There is the JU6400 and JS7000. I'd be curious to know how they play out.

I actually got mine yesterday (JU6700) and had to order an HDMI cable. I'm temporarily using an HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice and that seems to work but I have an HDMI cable from Amazon coming today just to be safe. This is the cable I used: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2408&seq=1&format=2 which says "up to 2560x1600" but my computer was displaying 4k @ 60 Hz, unless it was lying. I did try out game mode and the text was pretty crappy, similar to the pic I posted before. Switched it back to PC mode and launched a game, looks damn amazing but a bit dark. Gotta tune it still.

Not sure what firmware is on it, how do you check that? I did get a little USB stick with the TV saying it had the "latest" firmware on it so I'm thinking it might have older firmware on it.
I set up my 7500 to automatically install the latest updates via wireless. You do it through the Support option in the main menu. The current firmware is 1219; installed itself, yesterday.

@basically11: Looks like you could topple those TVs with a strong sneeze!! :eek::eek::eek:

Using remote:

1.) Press "menu"
2.) Navigate to menu on top left of screen. Menu screen will open.
3.) Find "Setup" (the cog icon)
4.) In here, find support menu.
5.) There should be a software menu line item.

This will tell you your current firmware revision, and if it has any pending ones to install. You can also force it to check for new updates if you think there are any it hasn't discovered yet.

By default these units are set to autoupdate on the next power cycle after discovering an update though, so if you aren't on the latest, you should be there soon.

Nvidia cards can do 4K/60Hz at 4:2:0. You should run the 4:4:4 test just to confirm that it's actually 4:4:4 at 4K/60 rather than 4:2:0.

Nvidia cards can do 4K/60Hz at 4:2:0. You should run the 4:4:4 test just to confirm that it's actually 4:4:4 at 4K/60 rather than 4:2:0.

That si a good point.

Does anyone happen to know how the bandwidth requirements of 4:2:0 compare to full 4:4:4?

Also, what Chroma mode does game mode run in? I understand game mode drops down from full 4:4:4, but to what? Is it 4:2:2, or 4:2:0?

Zarathustra[H];1041701327 said:
Using remote:

1.) Press "menu"
2.) Navigate to menu on top left of screen. Menu screen will open.
3.) Find "Setup" (the cog icon)
4.) In here, find support menu.
5.) There should be a software menu line item.

This will tell you your current firmware revision, and if it has any pending ones to install. You can also force it to check for new updates if you think there are any it hasn't discovered yet.

By default these units are set to autoupdate on the next power cycle after discovering an update though, so if you aren't on the latest, you should be there soon.

Thanks. Luckily I don't have any of that networking crap on the TV so it won't update automatically. I will have to go back and re-read those posts regarding the firmware and if it's worth upgrading or not, assuming I have an older revision.

OK. I just assumed that because text looked great in PC mode and crap in game mode that it was working at 4:4:4/60 Hz although maybe it was something like 4:2:2 in PC mode and 4:2:0 in game mode. I'll check when I get home since I'm not convinced the cable can really push 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz

Just to ensure that there is no confusion (in general), the DVI to HDMI cable does do 4K @ 60hz 4:4:4. I compared the same 4:4:4 test image on all 3 displays at the same time - the one connected via the DVI to HDMI cable showed the exact same results as the other two.

Zarathustra[H];1041701462 said:
Does anyone happen to know how the bandwidth requirements of 4:2:0 compare to full 4:4:4?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
To calculate required bandwidth factor relative to 4:4:4 (or 4:4:4:4), one needs to sum all the factors and divide the result by 12 (or 16, if alpha is present).

4:4:4 summed /12 = 1
4:2:0 summed /12 = 0.5

It requires 1/2 the bandwidth.

They will be limited to 900 series cards, HDMI 2.0 still has to be on the card for it to work.
It's the signal being sent through the connection that's important.

No, the whole point of a DP->HDMI adapter is zero dependency on hdmi, just as they always have been. There should be one out later this year.

Can anyone help me, please ?
I have the Samsung UE40JU6550 ( german version ) and i want to know if the US firmware version is the same as the german version
For now, i have the version 1210. US version is 1218
Do i brick the tv ( lol ) if i update it the wrong firmware ?
Thank you

No, the whole point of a DP->HDMI adapter is zero dependency on hdmi, just as they always have been. There should be one out later this year.

Sure, good luck with that. Six months at least to get a working DP to HMDI 2.0 converter that accurately throws a 4:4:4 signal at 4k/60.

No way.

Hard enough to get it to work when it has the connector heheh, let alone going through some nonsense converter from a third party.

But hey, to those who just simply won't go the easy way and do what everybody else is by grabbing a sweet sweet 980 Ti, today, and having the best of all worlds at your disposal immediately...I wish you luck.

Waiting for the Asus 980 Ti Strix. I'll buy two. The other option is the Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Not the Amp! Extreme, since that's a triple slot card and would be extra difficult to SLI. Just overclock the Amp to Extreme levels. :p

But the Strix. Holy shit. I hope it comes out soon. Holding out this long is tough enough as it is.

Did you keep the TV with the bad panel tag? Did you try SLI yet?

I called and told Crutchfield about it, and they immediately offered to replace it.

Later the Crutchfield head of operations called me to personally apologize and asked if I could provide a picture of the "bad screen" tag, which I did.

I let him know I didn't fault Crutchfield at all, but that it did appear as if Samsung had a quality control problem in their Mexico facility.

I also did receive my second 980ti.

In game.mode I can't tell the difference in lag at 60fps. In PC mode I can tell a difference, so I will be switching back and forth between modes going forward.

What's worth noting is how in many titles, two 980ti's are really challenged.

The opening scene of Metro 2033 - for instance, averaged ~45fps at ultra settings and AAA antialiasing.

Sure, good luck with that. Six months at least to get a working DP to HMDI 2.0 converter that accurately throws a 4:4:4 signal at 4k/60.

No way.

Hard enough to get it to work when it has the connector heheh, let alone going through some nonsense converter from a third party.

But hey, to those who just simply won't go the easy way and do what everybody else is by grabbing a sweet sweet 980 Ti, today, and having the best of all worlds at your disposal immediately...I wish you luck.

It was demoed at CES at the DP booth. These aren't exactly sophisticated devices; any problem is more to get them to a price point.

DP 1.3 will support HDMI 2.0 signaling natively, just like current 1.2 does 1.4.

1006 firmware on mine. You said the newer firmware had more lag but better colors, Zarathustra?

Someone else said more lag. I didn't notice the added lag, but they claimed to have tested it. I forget ehonit was, but apparently the results are controversial.

My experience was as follows on my js9000

- PC mode still looks the same as before, but has significantly LESS lag

- Game mode feels the same lag-wise to me, but looks much better than it used to.

Now all the models differ slightly, so maybe this isn't the same of the other models, bit it is my experience.

Zarathustra[H];1041702260 said:
I called and told Crutchfield about it, and they immediately offered to replace it.

Later the Crutchfield head of operations called me to personally apologize and asked if I could provide a picture of the "bad screen" tag, which I did.

I let him know I didn't fault Crutchfield at all, but that it did appear as if Samsung had a quality control problem in their Mexico facility..

After returning my Amazon JS9000, I found a few problems with my new unit from Crutchfield. Aside from some minor cosmetic damage on the bezel, the display produces a noticeable blue-ish vertical bar on the left-most portion of the screen - perhaps up to 1.5" in width. The box was in poor condition when it arrived, which I assume occurred during shipping, so it's hard for me to determine if the anomalies are QC-related or a product of a rough shipping journey.

Crutchfield isn't at fault in either circumstance, of course, and their customer support was great. I have a new unit in transit as I type this post. For the record, the wall mounting went quite well. I highly recommend it for anyone on the fence.

Last edited:
It could be that they are sending out the returns in the hope some of them are kept.
Otherwise there is a lot more hassle involved verifying problems and returning TVs.
This way they do nothing except ship the TV to someone else.
Bad practise but possible.

Zarathustra[H];1041702260 said:
What's worth noting is how in many titles, two 980ti's are really challenged.

The opening scene of Metro 2033 - for instance, averaged ~45fps at ultra settings and AAA antialiasing.

You can probably do without AA on a 4K display. I try DAI with AA on and off and I can't really notice the difference except that it runs a lot smoother with AA off.

Back