New official version of Afterburner.

erek

[H]F Junkie

MSI Afterburner gets an update for modern GPUs​

"MSI Afterburner Version 4.6.5
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40×0 series graphics cards support
  • Added voltage control support for GA103 and GDDR6x based versions of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  • Added AMD RADEON RX 7900 series graphics cards support
  • Added total board power monitoring support for AMD RADEON RX 7900 series graphics cards
  • Added some future AMD and NVIDIA GPU PCI DeviceIDs to hardware database
  • Added Intel Arc GPUs support to hardware monitoring module. Please take a note that Intel Arc GPUs overclocking and tuning is currently not supported due to Intel hardware control API support limitation to x64 applications only
  • Added experimental support for Intel 13th generation CPUs
  • Added experimental support for AMD Ryzen 7xxx CPUs
  • CPU usage data sources in hardware monitoring module have been switched to alternate implementation based on NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorIdleInformation), because traditional legacy idle time reporting in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation) is broken in current Windows 11 22H2 builds
  • Added workaround for broken fixed fan speed programming API (Overdrive 5 compatible fallback path) for old Overdrive 7 GCN GPUs on 22.5.2 and newer AMD drivers
  • Added config file switch for disabling native reliability voltage control API on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9×0 series graphics cards and forcing legacy P-state 2.0 voltage control API usage on such hardware. Power users may use this switch to bypass voltage control lock on NVIDIA Maxwell series graphics cards on release 515 and newer drivers families
  • Improved correction formula parser with data format conversion, rounding and min/max functions support
  • Added OCMailbox based bus clock frequency monitoring for Skylake and newer Intel CPUs. Unlike traditional legacy timestamp clock based bus clock frequency estimations, OCMailbox provides support for overclocked BCLK monitoring. Please take a note that access to OCMailbox is blocked by design of OS when HVCI is enabled
  • Improved SMART.dll monitoring plugin. Added temperature monitoring support for NVMe devices, including the secondary controller temperature for some Samsung NVMe drives
  • Default clock frequency limit of voltage/frequency curve editor window has been extended to 3.5GHz. Please take a note that you may still customize the limits via config file if necessary
  • Update server location changed to new URL inside update checking system. Old update server location reached EOL
Source and download: Guru3D"

MSI-AFTERBURNER-HERO-1200x428.jpg

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-aft...port-for-geforce-rtx-40-radeon-rx-7900-series

So the company that got hacked had their source stolen and said don’t trust anything claiming to be ours from sites or services that aren’t ours suddenly launches a long awaited update to one of the said stolen programs on a new series of servers and I’m not supposed to be 100% skeptical about it?

So the company that got hacked had their source stolen and said don’t trust anything claiming to be ours from sites or services that aren’t ours suddenly launches a long awaited update to one of the said stolen programs on a new series of servers and I’m not supposed to be 100% skeptical about it?
The download site is Guru3D, which develops Afterburner.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 download - Guru3D and MSI have been working hard on AfterBurner, today, we release an updated revision of Afterburner; this application successfully secured the leading position on graphics card utilities.
A note to other media outlets and unaffiliated third parties: Those attempting to deep-link and/or distribute our software by uploading it to their own servers should refrain doing so. Only Guru3D.com and MSI.com are legally allowed to distribute MSI Afterburner; the same is true for Rivatuner statistics server, Rivatuner CORE application, and RTSS-related files.

Our advisory is simple: if it's not published here on Guru3D.com in the news or download section, then it's not an official public version leaving you at risk, potentially even downloading a vulnerable version at an external website. For that reason alone be very wary if you download MSI Afterburner from an external party. Our distribution is safe, and is the only way for you to know if downloads have not been tampered with, are unstable, or even vulnerable.

Yet the MSI site makes no mention of Guru3D as being an authorized distribution source, in-fact they say the exact opposite.

Attachments

• 8E402CC5-8D9A-46BA-BAAF-65BF27805D42.png
    8E402CC5-8D9A-46BA-BAAF-65BF27805D42.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 0
Yet the MSI site makes no mention of Guru3D as being an authorized distribution source, in-fact they say the exact opposite.
Alexey Nicolaychuk is the creator of Afterburner and RivaTuner, and is a staff member of Guru3D, where those programs are developed. Guru3D basically seves as the official webpage of those programs.

Alexey posts on the Guru3D forums as Unwinder, and has confirmed the new release of Afterburner there.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-201#post-6123426

He's also made some posts on TechPowerUp as AlexUnwinder, and today posted in a thread there about the new release.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...finally-gets-a-big-update.307479/post-4997028

Last edited:
Alexey Nicolaychuk is the creator of Afterburner and RivaTuner, and is a staff member of Guru3D, where those programs are developed. Guru3D basically seves as the official webpage of those programs.

Alexey posts on the Guru3D forums as Unwinder, and has confirmed the new release of Afterburner there.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-201#post-6123426
youre wasting your time, cant get it through their heads....

Aftering seeing this thread, I went into settings and checked for updates, I was told there are none. Then I noticed this...apparently I auto updated to 4.6.5 Beta 2 automagically soooo cool.

View attachment 565300
But the latest is 4.6.5 Beta 5 on the 17'th, from the MSI site, whereas on the Guru 3D site they released 4.6.5-Final back on April 11th.
The automatic update doesn't see either, while Both sites claim theirs is the latest official release, Guru3D says only their site and MSI can give you the official versions, meanwhile, MSI says only their version is the official version and all others are potentially fakes.

Given all the crap going on there, with not paying the developer for a year (yet they still worked???), declaring the project dead, and then MSI announcing they were hacked and the source for Afterburner was stolen, then suddenly out of the blue the developer says whoops my bad my government might be actively engaged in espionage campaigns against most of yours which is why I couldn't get paid and the MSI site may say not to download from here but you can totally download it from here because you always have downloaded it from here.

Given all the stuff going on in the world with hacks and data espionage and such have to be more cautious than ever, almost paranoid even, then you have this here which is probably just a simple miscommunication between MSI and Guru, but it's all too fishy.

Same here. Checked for updates, said there were none, then apparently autoupdated to 4.65.
I am on 4.6.4, never updated to beta. Now checking both non-beta and beta results in nothing being found.

I'm going to wait until more information is provided. This whole thing doesn't pass the smell test.

I find MSI and its consistent failures to be an ever-increasing source of humor lately so I am sorta down for this.

The guru3d one is clean, MSI is still struggling to bring their stuff back online after their breach it seems they are just bouncing around all over as they recover from increasingly old backups, I wonder how long they were compromised for before things blew up.

I find MSI and its consistent failures to be an ever-increasing source of humor lately so I am sorta down for this.

The guru3d one is clean, MSI is still struggling to bring their stuff back online after their breach it seems they are just bouncing around all over as they recover from increasingly old backups, I wonder how long they were compromised for before things blew up.
idk but I was for sure thinking about that with this announcement and new file to download.

This is all well and good, but 4.6.4 doesn't find an update when you check for one. So I am going to refrain from installing this for now.
The patch notes say that the Update server has been changed in the new version. So whatever the old update server was, it is apparently gone now.
Article said:
  • Update server location changed to new URL inside update checking system. Old update server location reached EOL
I'm using the 4.65, I can't really tell any difference between it and the 4.64 betas that worked with 4xxx.

Guessing Unwinder either A. went his separate way from MSI after not getting paid and posted on Guru3D anyway, B. posted on Guru3D while MSI recovers from their infiltration.

Reactions: erek
like this
Guessing Unwinder either A. went his separate way from MSI after not getting paid and posted on Guru3D anyway, B. posted on Guru3D while MSI recovers from their infiltration.
Infiltration and exfiltration? Or just in

How’d the point get misunderstood? 🤔 🧐
idk how they didnt get it, but i wasnt saying you werent getting it. my whole point was that guru3d was safe and is the og/official place it comes from. me, you and z are all on the same page...

Reactions: erek
like this
Good to know Unwinder is still working on it. Hope that the payment issues were worked out somehow. People like Unwinder shouldn't be punished for the actions of an autocrat.

Back