New GeForce Titan??? (GK110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
value is subjective...but it's safe to say your actions fall outside of what most would consider prudent or wise...hence my comments
There isn't a single shred of prudence to be found in PC gaming. It could be argued that spending $50 on PC gaming is just as imprudent as spending $1,500.

It's really amusing how people have to judge each other for their purchases.

No one should care if you have a GTX 660 or a GeForce Titan. Buy according to your needs and wallets. If someone wants to spend $1500 to play a game maxed out and they have the financial ability to do so, enjoy.

If this lives up to the hype, I'm def. putting one in a Mini ITX LAN rig and ditching SLI ;)

No one should care if you have a GTX 660 or a GeForce Titan. Buy according to your needs and wallets. If someone wants to spend $1500 to play a game maxed out and they have the financial ability to do so, enjoy.

These people are probably just jealous. ;) If this thing can beat a 690, I'm in, assuming they've fixed the stupid vsync stutter problem. :p

and we are on [H] where if everyone had a 660ti would be.... BORRRIIINNNNNGGGG.

this card might be a decent deal considering the performance and how long it will outperform some cards (if it will indeed be the beast eveyrone says it will)

These people are probably just jealous. ;) If this thing can beat a 690, I'm in, assuming they've fixed the stupid vsync stutter problem. :p

It won't be faster than a 690, at least not in games where SLI is working properly

For it to be faster than a 690, the TDP would be unreal (there are posts at beyond3d suggesting it would need faster than a 1ghz core and a huge power draw to supply a 550mm^2 die at that speed enough juice)

most likely the numbers that were originally posted are likely true, 84-85% of a 690

...assuming they've fixed the stupid vsync stutter problem. :p

So they never truly fixed that problem, right? You have it with your 680? That's the reason I'm still on the 580. I keep looking at the nvidia thread, and people are still posting about it, so I'm assuming it's a hardware flaw and unfixable. I always had a suspicion that it was something to do with the GPU boost BS.

Man, I have just purchased a gtx 690, wanting to put a gtx 680 in my rig which I already have, then this, a single gtx 680 with gk110 chip. That performs better then a 690 even though thats a dual gpu. That sucks, i should of jsut wait and get this. But I hate waiting, I could of waited and got a haswell 4770k chip and titan. Heck, that might be my main build.

85 percent of 690 is heck of a card to say its a single gpu. But I would wait and see for legit reviews.

So they never truly fixed that problem, right? You have it with your 680? That's the reason I'm still on the 580. I keep looking at the nvidia thread, and people are still posting about it, so I'm assuming it's a hardware flaw and unfixable. I always had a suspicion that it was something to do with the GPU boost BS.

Doesn't appear like it to me. In Path of Exiles, for example, I get random stutters here and there with vsync on. My coworker, who has a gtx 590, says he gets absolutely no stutters whatsoever. It really irks me that this problem still exists and I can't wait to upgrade and get rid of this card. Oh, and yeah, I'm with you on it being a hardware problem and it having to do with the GPU boost crap. The thread for this problem on the Nvidia forums just doesn't end, and the fact that Nvidia being silent leads to me believe it's a hardware issue and they just won't admit to it.

Doesn't appear like it to me. In Path of Exiles, for example, I get random stutters here and there with vsync on. My coworker, who has a gtx 590, says he gets absolutely no stutters whatsoever. It really irks me that this problem still exists and I can't wait to upgrade and get rid of this card.

the new msi afterburner has frametime display in the OSD options, it's pretty cool

I always noticed this weird hitching in Unigine Heaven 3.0 during benching (I have 2 7970's), so I checked out the frametime, and sure enough there's definite microstuttering (frametime hitting 33.3+ms which is 30fps and lower) even though the framerate says otherwise

the new msi afterburner has frametime display in the OSD options, it's pretty cool

I always noticed this weird hitching in Unigine Heaven 3.0 during benching (I have 2 7970's), so I checked out the frametime, and sure enough there's definite microstuttering (frametime hitting 33.3+ms which is 30fps and lower) even though the framerate says otherwise

That's actually something I've noticed thanks to that new frametime counter in afterburner. The huge amount of latency added by running my 680's in my X58 system with an NF200 bridge. It averages almost 4 times as much latency as the SLI 560ti's I have in my Ivy Bridge machine, even with all of the advanced frame metering tech they included in Kepler.

Needless to say if you super microstutter sensitive then avoid board with PLX chips and opt for the way lower latency of on die PCI-E controllers.

the PLX chips aren't used unless you use certain PCI-e slots, and/or use more than 2 cards right?

afaik, I'm using the two 8x slots, which are non-PLX and I still see microstuttering in certain games/benchmarks

the PLX chips aren't used unless you use certain PCI-e slots, and/or use more than 2 cards right?

afaik, I'm using the two 8x slots, which are non-PLX and I still see microstuttering in certain games/benchmarks

You are using 7970's though, AMD cards have a really rough time in that department (my 5870's were just awful).

Its actually pretty easy to crush (and I do mean CRUSH) even the best hardware at 2 Mpixel resolutions. So in terms of performance the new nvidia card will be welcome, though it remains to be seen if the performance lives up to the price.

Also automotive (excluding kit cars and racecars/trackcars) analogies don't really work in this case because performance matters a lot less in cars (looks, status, ease of use).

Link was pulled. Anyone see what it said before it was pulled?

Pretty vague. Just said they were shipped to reviewers, 235W TDP, 6GB, some other specs, nothing concrete on release to my knowledge.

Yeap, consistently showing the specs for the tesla card and pictures of it too.

When are we going to get some information on the Titan card?

Hopefully we can get a "That's Interesting" quote form Brent soon.

Also it looks likey Nv is most likely going with 6GB VRAM. A few special edition 7970s had 6GB VRAM also.
http://www.techpowerup.com/179780/6-GB-Standard-Memory-Amount-for-GeForce-Titan.html

I also wondering if it will have one or two SLI fingers. Given the specs, SLI seems like the max, but Tri/Quad SLI would be boss.
That setup is way above what I'm willing to pay, but a few forum member names come to mind.

Last edited:
Lets be realistic here.

It has double the meat (7.1M transistors vs 3.5M) vs 680 so 2x performance is possible. Granted, they would have a lot of driver reprogramming on their hands to maximize it.

Price of 899$ is realistic since GTX 680 is still 450$ and GTX 690 is 1k$. If you take performance into consideration, and the complexity / yield issues associated with such a huge chip, along with the useable 6GB RAM, this actually makes the 690 look overpriced.

The only problem is the 235W TDP, which does not fit. This PCI-E spec, so they are being conservative. Remember the 5970 days where they downclocked / undervolted the part just to fit the limit, but advertised it as a much more powerful solution. This is probably the same.

Finally, this follows the release of the Tesla K20, and chip manufacturers like NV *always* find a way to cut their losses with leaky / ower bin parts. This happens to be the lower bin cores for 3k$ cards, so again the price seems right.

Can't wait to see the reviews !

Last edited:
Lets be realistic here.

It has double the meat (7.1M transistors vs 3.5M) vs 680 so 2x performance is possible. Granted, they would have a lot of driver reprogramming on their hands to maximize it.

Price of 899$ is realistic since GTX 680 is still 450$ and GTX 690 is 1k$. If you take performance into consideration, and the complexity / yield issues associated with such a huge chip, along with the useable 6GB RAM, this actually makes the 690 look overpriced.

The only problem is the 235W TDP, which does not fit. This PCI-E spec, so they are being conservative. Remember the 5970 days where they downclocked / undervolted the part just to fit the limit, but advertised it as a much more powerful solution. This is probably the same.

Finally, this follows the release of the Tesla K20, and chip manufacturers like NV *always* find a way to cut their losses with leaky / ower bin parts. This happens to be the lower bin cores for 3k$ cards, so again the price seems right.

Can't wait to see the reviews !

if it does launch at that price it will fall to 500 as soon as AMD releases a counter.

Thinking that AMD has something that would come anywhere near the supposed performance of this card is trippin!

i agree, it wont have something like that for a full year or maybe more on a single card performance.

7970 architecture is maxed with the 1ghz edition, if they put any more cores or transistors they will be in the 300+W scale.

8000 from amd will be just a simple refresh, something like 5870 to 6000 series, just a tad faster.

680 was supposed to be a mid range card, dont forget that folks.

nvidia's architecture allows more headroom than amd's.

so, you will have to wait for the 9000 series to come out.

As soon as AMD releases a counter..

In like 2 years..

maybe.

There are faint rumors of an official 7990 from AMD, but that space has already been filled by their partners.
They could make one for a good price though, like $699-749. That would make things interesting compared to the $899 of the Titan. But it's still single gpu vs dual.

Thinking that AMD has something that would come anywhere near the supposed performance of this card is trippin!

Yep. Not a chance.
AMD will need a new process and arch.

moar cores
sSxaVaG.jpg

Uh, I've had 680s since launch day and never had a problem with Vsync, even back before they addressed it with drivers. YMMV, but I don't think it's a wide spread issue.

if it does launch at that price it will fall to 500 as soon as AMD releases a counter.
Which would be what? Unless they can rush the next GPU design out, I don't think they have one right now. The 7970 design is their largest GPU.

Uh, I've had 680s since launch day and never had a problem with Vsync, even back before they addressed it with drivers. YMMV, but I don't think it's a wide spread issue.

It isn't a widespread issue at all, never was. I have owned both 670, 670 SLI, 680, and 680 SLI setups with none affected.

you were just one of the few people that were oblivious to it then because it was a driver issue that impacted every 680/670. I returned my 670 after 30 days and got a full refund and even return shipping paid because newegg was well aware of the complaints.

you were just one of the few people that were oblivious to it then because it was a driver issue that impacted every 680/670. I returned my 670 after 30 days and got a full refund and even return shipping paid because newegg was well aware of the complaints.

Wrong. It was a fairly small-scale issue by all accounts at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back