New found Origin hate.

JayJapanB

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought BF3 tonight.
I already have a copy though I thought I would buy it for a friend...

Turns out there is no gift function.
Turns out you can't use a code that someone else has purchased
Turns out that you can actually buy a game that you already have. No "you already have this" feature.

EA took $49.99 AUD with zero fucks given...

Don't give me that "You should have looked it up in advance" bull shit.
This is poor, poor fucking program/service design

I will get my money back.

There is a gift code function, it's just not very obvious. I used it to buy multiple c&c3s for a multiplayer game, then gave the other player the code.

haha, sorry. Bit angry right now.
I use origin for playing bf3 and crysis 3 and nothing else.
I have avoided every other feature up till now.

Also it is 2013. This is just plain poor design.
They took money and gave nothing in return.

Fuck you!

33861124.jpg

It is stupid.t
I was one of the idiots that used a 3rd party color filter in bf3 and ended up getting banned. After trying a number of things I ended up asking them to delete my bf3 so I could buy a new one but you can't. I don't have the hate for origin, but it lacks so many features of steam.
I'll give origin one thing, I can call and speak to someone...steam feels like its impossible to talk to anyone.

It is stupid.t
I was one of the idiots that used a 3rd party color filter in bf3 and ended up getting banned. After trying a number of things I ended up asking them to delete my bf3 so I could buy a new one but you can't. I don't have the hate for origin, but it lacks so many features of steam.
I'll give origin one thing, I can call and speak to someone...steam feels like its impossible to talk to anyone.

How many times are you having to call up each of these services?

Talked to a nice rep on chat picking up the pieces of their shitty infrastructure,

7-10 days I should have my money.

It is indeed a poorly designed system. Unfortunately, the only two things you can do are a) offer feedback to their CS and b) don't use Origin if you can help it.

EA is all about one failure of a decision after another. Origin, always-on DRM, etc...

Not to mention all the franchises they fuck over. IMO Crysis and Dead Space are the only decent ones they have left, and even those are getting questionable with DS3 having micro-transactions in a $60 game.

Maybe with a CEO change we will see a difference, but I doubt it.

Crysis isn't controlled or owned by EA. Crytek has full IP rights & is considered an EA partner.

I'm sorry but the responsibility falls 100% on your shoulders as the consumer. You don't get to assume that Origin or any other digital distro software behaves 1:1 feature for feature as Steam.

Lets check the facts.

1. You downloaded Origin
2. You installed Origin
3. Which means you agreed to the EULA and the Terms of Service
4. You already own the game.
5. You opened Origin
6. You clicked Buy on BF3 assuming you could somehow magically give the game to a friend with zero knowledge of how it works.
6. You clicked Buy on BF3 assuming you could somehow magically give the game to a friend with zero knowledge of how it works.
7. See 6

You're mad because Origin let you buy the game again? LOL. Its somehow EA's fault that you bought something twice? Listen, perhaps I'd care a bit more for you if you didn't come off as a whiner who is avoiding any blame or responsibility for your actions. You don't get to pass all the blame on EA, come onto these forums and expect support from all of us. You are awarded no pass from me, in my opinion.. which is what you were looking for when you created a thread on an internet forum right? People's opinions?

I'm sure you'll contact EA and complain real nice like and I"m sure they'll probably refund your money because in the end, this seems like an honest mistake.

None of that changes that it was 100% your fault. If there is any lesson to learn from this debacle, it isn't that EA and/or Origin needs fixing, its that you need to learn some humility and common sense.

I'm sorry but the responsibility falls 100% on your shoulders as the consumer. You don't get to assume that Origin or any other digital distro software behaves 1:1 feature for feature as Steam.

Lets check the facts.

1. You downloaded Origin
2. You installed Origin
4. You already own the game.
5. You opened Origin
7. See 6

You're mad because Origin let you buy the game again? LOL. Its somehow EA's fault that you bought something twice? Listen, perhaps I'd care a bit more for you if you didn't come off as a whiner who is avoiding any blame or responsibility for your actions. You don't get to pass all the blame on EA, come onto these forums and expect support from all of us. You are awarded no pass from me, in my opinion.. which is what you were looking for when you created a thread on an internet forum right? People's opinions?

I'm sure you'll contact EA and complain real nice like and I"m sure they'll probably refund your money because in the end, this seems like an honest mistake.

None of that changes that it was 100% your fault. If there is any lesson to learn from this debacle, it isn't that EA and/or Origin needs fixing, its that you need to learn some humility and common sense.

Sure, just offering constructive criticism.

You can buy games outside of Origin on EA.com without login in, or using your friends login.

Thanks, though we are playing alienswarm now instead. :D

I'm not going to boycott the service or anything because I love the games and devs though I am perfectly fine with loudly pointing out its faults.
I have submitted a suggestions to their forum and I'll search out some other places to do so also.
I'm pissed though I have no problem with things actually improving.

Taking this to its logical conclusion is a very slippery slope. Unless you live as a subsistence farmer somewhere (and probably even then), you sign dozens if not hundreds of contracts and EULAs over your lifetime - each often 100 pages or more of obtuse language. Claiming that we can all know everything about what each one says and understand perfectly the ramifications is naive at best.

Origin wasn't released 8 years ago regardless of EA accounts...
:rolleyes::p

Origin came from EADM, the EA Download Manager app that you used to purchase BF2 Armored Fury, and other BF2 and BF2142 DLC.
eadm.jpg

Origin is not good and neither is steam. Both are shitty forms of DRM. Sure they both work fine but are not needed.

Don't get me started on Origin. The only reason I still use it is BF3... If it weren't for that game... I am not a fan of Origin. I much prefer Steam.

Steam also allows you to purchase the same game twice, btw.
I was granted a one time refund for counter strike source, since I thought I would be able to gift the extra copy.

I was granted a one time refund for counter strike source, since I thought I would be able to gift the extra copy.

^^^^^^^^
Thank goodness for Valve, origin isn't going to last for too much longer imo.

^^^^^^^^
Thank goodness for Valve, origin isn't going to last for too much longer imo.

One can only hope! I use Origin for EA exclusives only ..... ME3, BF3 and dont laugh I bought Simcity (Deadspace 3 for free due to this). I really want to play Crysis 3 buy I am not giving another dime to Origin. :( Might be buying BF4 on console due to this.

In summary .....Origin sucks a big fat one :(

Currently you are not allowed to proceed to checkout on Steam if an item in your cart is already owned by you when purchasing for yourself is selected.

Currently you are not allowed to proceed to checkout on Steam if an item in your cart is already owned by you when purchasing for yourself is selected.

Looks like they added a notation,
Counter-Strike: Source + Garry's Mod: According to our records, you already own one or more of the items
included in this package on Steam. If purchasing for yourself, see the Extra Copies support article to determine
whether the items you already own can be shared with friends.

I can contiue with my purchase, but I won't get an extra copy of Counterstrike Source, since it isn't listed in the Extra Copies support article.

Back