Network pics thread

Finishing up some cabling in my home lab. Need some additional Patch cable..just waiting on that and need to tidy up the power cables as soon as the UPS arrives.

What made you guys put actual 1/10 Copper line cards in that 9k? Any FEX's being setup or is the customer just plugging servers directly into the 9k?

No fex, just going into the switch itself. The cost savings of just using line cards vs 2ks was quite a bit. Their DC is also cabled pretty well so that helps.

Sometimes I hate my job.
UIKJXmk.jpg

nice use of the fire control panel door! guessing semi-annual inspections aren't taking place...

Last edited:
The switches and router were on a shelf that was pulling out of the wall, the fire door was supporting everything. I snapped this pic and sent it to the bossman... he laughed and said "yeah, seems right".

That's not even the worst I've seen.

Funny thing is, companies get away with this stuff. Try that at home and if your insurance company, city inspector or other authority finds out you are screwed.

Looks like the shelf bracket (and possibly the shelf itself) above the electrical panel violates the NEC working clearance for that panel.

You think?!?

Funny thing is, companies get away with this stuff. Try that at home and if your insurance company, city inspector or other authority finds out you are screwed.

I've got worse... all from the same company... just don't want to post them because of possible evidence that could be traced.

Its been almost 5 years since I posted my lab. Started off with some Cisco 2900's and a few whitebox servers at the time with 2-4GB ram.

Starting from the top

Cisco 3825 - Core Router
Cisco 1811 - Used for NVGRE Provider Network
Cisco Express 500 - Used for Home Network (TV's, Wireless etc...)
Cisco 3550-12T - Purchased to replace Express 500 but this thing is way to loud (58db)

Supermicro 6026TT-TF (4 NODE Server X8DTT-F Motherboard)

Node 1 - Hyper-V 2012 R2 (Hosts LAB VM's)
128GB Samsung SSD (O/S)
Xeon L5640 HEX Core
48GB DDR3-1333MHz
Mellanox MHQH29B ConnectX-2 Infiniband with RSS and RDMA

Node 2 - Hyper-V 2012 R2 (Hosts DC,SCVMM, Azure Pack)
128GB Samsung SSD (O/S)
2x 1TB SATA (DC,SCVMM, Azure Pack VM's)
Xeon L5640 HEX Core
32GB DDR3-1333MHz

SC836TQ-R800B - Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces SAN
128GB Samsung SSD (O/S)
Xeon E3-1245 V2
16GB DDR3-1333MHz
LSI 9207-8i HBA
8x Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 300 GB
Mellanox MHQH29B ConnectX-2 Infiniband with RSS and RDMA

QNAP TS-869 PRO (3x 3TB WD RED) Used for entertainment (Plex, SickBeard etc...)

20150111_111924.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't that a WS-C3550-12T? Why did you select that switch and not something else?

Yeah 12T not 12G typo on my end... I got it at a good price plus it has the EMI IOS loaded but its way to loud to sit in the same room with it on. Looking into a Cisco 4948-10GE or 3560E but haven't found any good deals yet.

Yeah 12T not 12G typo on my end... I got it at a good price plus it has the EMI IOS loaded but its way to loud to sit in the same room with it on. Looking into a Cisco 4948-10GE or 3560E but haven't found any good deals yet.

You can swap the fans out on the 3550-T and quiet that beast up. I did that a few years back, just did a quick google search for cisco fans and found some ones I could re-wire and replace.

I know of someone with a licensed 24 port POE 3560E with optional OneX adapters... :cool:

*shameless* lol

You can swap the fans out on the 3550-T and quiet that beast up. I did that a few years back, just did a quick google search for cisco fans and found some ones I could re-wire and replace.

That's a great idea, never thought of it just unplugged :) Maybe I will look into that. Been eye balling the 2960X, 3560/3750G and the 4948's... But new fans would be the cheapest... But the 2960X have some really cool features like hibernation and suppose to be really quiet. Since I am running this at home every db and watt counts! Anyone use/own a 2960X?

First post in here but I wanted to share a recent build we did for our new corporate HQ.

Here is the equipment list:

24x - Cisco 2960XR 48pt switches with the redundant power and stack modules
2x - Cisco 3850 48pt Core Switches
2x - Cisco ASA 5512X firewalls in HA
30X - Cisco 3702i WAPs

Installed a couple VM servers, a riverbed and some Checkpoint firewalls for our connection back to our parent company overseas.

We have the main server room on floor 1 and smaller closets on floors 2 and 3 (second pic). We are using POE for our new Cisco system as well.

Here are a couple of pics too:

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

First post in here but I wanted to share a recent build we did for our new corporate HQ.

30X - Cisco 3702i WAPs

Installed a couple VM servers, a riverbed and some Checkpoint firewalls for our connection back to our parent company overseas.

We have the main server room on floor 1 and smaller closets on floors 2 and 3 (second pic). We are using POE for our new Cisco system as well.

[/QUOTE]

Very nice, love the short patch cables - straight from panel to switch, no excess length needing management bars etc, easier to trace and looks much neater.

Thanks for the comments. We saw the patch design online and knew right away we wanted to do it. It turned out great. We are going to do it from now on.

30X - Cisco 3702i WAPs

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12781860/rack1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12781860/rack2.jpg[/IMG]

What's that 3U Cisco Box in the 3rd rack ? (first pic)

What's that 3U Cisco Box in the 3rd rack ? (first pic)

It is probably a cisco router that can handle a good amount of WICS. We have a ton of 2U Cisco routers at work that have give or take 8 T1's running into them.

It is probably a cisco router that can handle a good amount of WICS. We have a ton of 2U Cisco routers at work that have give or take 8 T1's running into them.

Looks like a Cisco 3900 Series router.

Rerolled our racks in the main room.

Well nevermind, photobucket is crap. Imagine awesomeness.

Last edited:
Back