Network pics thread

so tired of hearing the zip ties vs. velcro vs. lacing vs. whatever!

those cables are never going to move, put a zip tie on them and call it a day. If you need to pull one and change it then cut the damn zip tie.

Why so much slack at the rack? In case you plan to move the racks over or move the panels to the top or what?

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

You can see the data cablers did a half-decent job terminating, but over the course of the last five years, coworkers didn't care about the patching... Needless to say, I had nothing to do with this, it was like this when I got here.

Why so much slack at the rack? In case you plan to move the racks over or move the panels to the top or what?

Yep. Customers idea... even if there are about 5m in the raised flooring. But in case you want to move the rack to the next room...! :rolleyes:

I'm using a shitload(up to 100/day) of zipties, and cut them with a gun; never had bloody knuckle or cut from the ends. But if no gun around, then run and hide...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using a shitload(up to 100/day) of zipties, and cut them with a gun; never had bloody knuckle or cut from the ends. But if no gun around, then run and hide...

I, while working as the quality inspector for a cabling company, actually had to give a safety class on proper cutting of tiewrap excess due someone leaving a sharp piece out on an assembly line at one of our Fortune 100 customers and an employee getting cut.

It definitely happens.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
JensS That is how I saw the racks I did at work but in reality, they came out nothing at all like that! nice work indeed

I'm betting it's a fiber termination box and he has it labeled for each strand so it's easy to troubleshoot.

I'm betting it's a fiber termination box and he has it labeled for each strand so it's easy to troubleshoot.

that would make sense. If that's what it is then I find it odd that the connector in the box isn't a Dual LC. Typically I terminate mine Dual LC on both ends. Easy for anyone to replace a true plug-and-play connector. 100% not custom. lol

that would make sense. If that's what it is then I find it odd that the connector in the box isn't a Dual LC. Typically I terminate mine Dual LC on both ends. Easy for anyone to replace a true plug-and-play connector. 100% not custom. lol

True, but we don't know how long the split SC box has been there. That could be legacy fiber.

True, but we don't know how long the split SC box has been there. That could be legacy fiber.

I seen a lot of recent fiber patch panels that are ST or SC - ST are actually nice since they are fully secured - never seen a LC patch/device thats not a GBIC!

I seen a lot of recent fiber patch panels that are ST or SC - ST are actually nice since they are fully secured - never seen a LC patch/device thats not a GBIC!

for 1-3 connections I usually use something like this enclosure and this panel.

In telcom rooms it's pretty common for someone to trash a fiber patch. duplex LC cables are easy to come by and most IT tech's usually have spares on hand.

A remote site I have been putting together. Nothing special. WAN services not in yet. Just a bunch of PC's, Printers, WAPs connecting to a WLAN controller(s) at our Primary DC. WAN services will connect into our MPLS cloud.

Just 2x 3560x's, until the WAN comes in for now, which may be an 1801 or something else depending on what our carrier decides.

UPS overkill, as this rack used to be used for a VMWare ESX cluster which was removed and I had no other use for the UPS's :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db7aqnk25qgd0py/2013-11-26 13.15.30.jpg

Last edited:
A remote site I have been putting together. Nothing special. WAN services not in yet. Just a bunch of PC's, Printers, WAPs connecting to a WLAN controller(s) at our Primary DC. WAN services will connect into our MPLS cloud.

Just 2x 3560x's, until the WAN comes in for now, which may be an 1801 or something else depending on what our carrier decides.

UPS overkill, as this rack used to be used for a VMWare ESX cluster which was removed and I had no other use for the UPS's :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db7aqnk25qgd0py/2013-11-26 13.15.30.jpg

No kill like overkill :D

You can never go too overkill with UPS power. :D

It's nice to still hear all your stuff humming away 4 hours into a power outage. :p

What's the run time with only those two switches? I'm guessing a couple hours or more.

Not got the rack powered up yet, but with only 2 switches, and a WAN router, from those two - probably 4-5 hours. Maybe more. Will let you know once it's powered up and i have SNMP to the UPS's.

Just got a new (at least to me) server cabinet off Craigslist for $200, they even delivered!

Time to move my network lab and few servers from the 2-post rack I have had for a few years to this new guy =]

2-Post

Future Home (Wife likes to add stuffed animals in random places)

Took delivery of our Eaton Powerware 9390 40 kva UPS today.

Hardest part was getting the 2000lb battery cabinet onto the 10th floor of our office building.

vG2rn0Vl.png

Ouch I can only imagine how hard that is to move. I did not figure that would ship with the batteries already in it. If that's the same UPS we had at a place I used to work, it's basically marine batteries in there. The UPS room is a great place for storage. :D If I recall it actually runs at a very high DC voltage, was an oddball number like over 300 volts.

Something I got from post-office today: Cisco 2811 router

11204693776_eb05e59c7e_c.jpg

Came without IOS and any expansion cards.

Trying to get Cisco-lab ready, probably not so much use during the CCNA as we have lab at the university, but after that maybe!

I have already three 2950 series switches, two Cisco 3750-12S SFP switches and two 3750 24 port switches. The 3750 series felt like a jackpot, managed to get them with 20euros (5€/piece), few had problems powering up -> changed capacitors -> fix'd. Just need few more routers with expansion cards.

My environment still uses ST, much to my dismay, but only for in building OM3 stuff.

we moved away from ST to SC for SM due to the giant PITA for cleaning and cert'ing ST's

you shouldn't need them 'fully secured', if you are pulling on fiber hard enough to disconnect them you are already screwing up :p

in our DC's are have moved to LC's on patch panels, about to test out Ortronics MTP cassettes for loss, so we can stop having stuff hand terminated, costs too much and takes too long

Our internal fiber is ST panels, installed in the early 90s. LC at the switch end (Dell Powerconnect)
AT&T fiber is SC in their little cabinets, LC at the handoff.

Took delivery of our Eaton Powerware 9390 40 kva UPS today.

Hardest part was getting the 2000lb battery cabinet onto the 10th floor of our office building.

Eaton makes quality shit. Replacing all my APC garbage with proper Eaton.

We are replacing a 10 year old Alpha UPS. Never worked with anything on this scale before but figured you can't really go wrong with Eaton.

We are replacing a 10 year old Alpha UPS. Never worked with anything on this scale before but figured you can't really go wrong with Eaton.

Seen a couple of places that have the Powerware. Every time they had this high pitched whine that drives me insance.

We have an N-Power here. Both Rock

Seen a couple of places that have the Powerware. Every time they had this high pitched whine that drives me insance.

We have an N-Power here. Both Rock

Well hope ours doesnt have that but at the same time its in a room that we will not be going into too often so won't bother me too much

Finished this remote site off today. No servers, just a WAN connection into our MPLS cloud.

BeerSys2.jpg

hsBn8.jpg

Went to take a mobo out of chassis and after all the screws were out it was still not moving. Looked at the back of it and noticed this gem.
6HfTI.jpg

That piece of sheet metal was screwed into the fan, serial, vga, and was forced into a grove along the bottem in the chassis. WHY????

Last edited:
Back