Network pics thread

Hope it's as good as pFSense. Was looking at one of these too, but doesn't really do anything more than pFSense?

I am attracted to it cause it means I can pull a SFF PC out of my rack, and replace it with a much smaller unit. Perhaps that is the primary benefit of this unit!

That is exactly why I bought it. Power savings over the SFF PC. I don't expect much in the way of feature/performance gain, but it would be a nice surprise.

As a side-note. I ordered the unit yesterday afternoon late and DoubleRadius will have it at my door probably before I get home today - at the UPS ground rate. Can't beat that!

10fcocp.jpg

New home, new layout... and i'll be changing this 1801 for a 3825 to acomodate my Fiber connection (100/20) :D

Reserved:

I will be posting pictures of my Enterprise rack in my house consisting of ...

1x Cisco 1921 Router with IOS Zone Firewall (My internet edge)
1x Cisco 1921 Routers w/ 8 port EHWIC Gigabit switch installed (extra router for no apparent purpose)
1x Cisco 3750E w/ 2 10GB X2 Cards installed - Fiber to some servers (Going to be selling)
1x Cisco 4948 10GB with enterprise services 48 port switch
1x Supermicro Chassis 8 drive ZFS hand built NAS
1x Qnap TS-219PII Backup NAS (low cost backup for the big box)
1x APC Smart UPS 1000 rack mount
and I am sure I am missing something.

So one of these days when I get gig fiber (probably Google Fiber if it ever comes to Atlanta) that 4948 router will go on the edge since it will eat a 1gbps as a midnight snack and spit it out laughing.

So one of these days when I get gig fiber (probably Google Fiber if it ever comes to Atlanta) that 4948 router will go on the edge since it will eat a 1gbps as a midnight snack and spit it out laughing.

You and me both. I'm probably sitting on the local fiber loop here in Buckhead and I can't touch it :( That's the only excuse I need to get some enterprise equipment in the house

FINALLY!!!! Got the demo UCS-B installed in the lab today!! I'll post the final pics next week when all the cabling is the way it should be along with the Nexus 5548UP install. It was like Christmas for me today!! :)

On a side note, i'm loving my EdgeMax Lite. Works so good!! Can't wait to order the Unfi. Had to put it on hold because I prioritized a nice Megapixel IP Camera for the house. Unifi will be ordered next month.

Reserved:

I will be posting pictures of my Enterprise rack in my house consisting of ...

1x Cisco 1921 Router with IOS Zone Firewall (My internet edge)
1x Cisco 1921 Routers w/ 8 port EHWIC Gigabit switch installed (extra router for no apparent purpose)
1x Cisco 3750E w/ 2 10GB X2 Cards installed - Fiber to some servers (Going to be selling)
1x Cisco 4948 10GB with enterprise services 48 port switch
1x Supermicro Chassis 8 drive ZFS hand built NAS
1x Qnap TS-219PII Backup NAS (low cost backup for the big box)
1x APC Smart UPS 1000 rack mount
and I am sure I am missing something.

Thank you for not making me feel as out there with my setup. lol I'm still split on my setup but we are supposed to be getting Google Fiber next year so I'm ready... *looking at the 3945*

FINALLY!!!! Got the demo UCS-B installed in the lab today!! I'll post the final pics next week when all the cabling is the way it should be along with the Nexus 5548UP install. It was like Christmas for me today!! :)

On a side note, i'm loving my EdgeMax Lite. Works so good!! Can't wait to order the Unfi. Had to put it on hold because I prioritized a nice Megapixel IP Camera for the house. Unifi will be ordered next month.

As soon as my test lab is done, we're getting our UCS-B as well. Can't wait.

As soon as my test lab is done, we're getting our UCS-B as well. Can't wait.

I was gettin kinda sick of using the emulator, that's not to says its not useful but Its better to have some real hardware. We only had budget for 1 Fabric Interconnect, 1 IOM, and 1 Blade Server for now. I thought that getting a Nexus 5548UP was more of a priority and we can always add another IOM, FI, nd blades later this year.

Ill be cabling everything Monday...can't wait to get I up.

Experience with configuring the 5548UP is more of a priority IMHO. I've already done vPC's on our 5596UP's we currently have and so forth. No FCoE or anything but my boss is hopefully going to get us a couple of 5548UP's as test switches too. So I'll be able to do some VDC work and FCoE to our blades. We'll see.

@ Jesse B

Can you post more pictures when you have everything set up.
Plus a little rewiew and what you plan on doing about wifi.
Thank You

@ Jesse B

Can you post more pictures when you have everything set up.
Plus a little rewiew and what you plan on doing about wifi.
Thank You

Will do. Moving at the end of the month, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to get it set up here or just wait. I'll be sure to post something at some point though :p

Figured I'd play around with it a bit tonight, got some spare time. Nothing too exciting yet.

Makeshift lab :D
2013-05-12175031_zps2364e8c4.jpg

Good sign so far...
ScreenShot2013-05-12at54650PM_zps8126c203.png

ScreenShot2013-05-12at55415PM_zps35626101.png

All I've done so far is change the password and update the firmware. Gonna start playing around with the CLI I think :p

i'm getting jealous of those with the EL3, i really want to just sell my ASA5505 off for one, especially since its gig, i think the 10/100 ports on my ASA are holding me back.

Would love one of those EdgeMAX routers, but pfSense works perfectly for me so can't justify the cost.

Any idea on power consumption of it?

I got mine on Thursday, but I was rushed to the hospital on Friday and got little time to play with it :( It'll probably be weeks til I'm home too :(

Speaking as a Mikrotik user, The ERL is fast. Really fast. Running as my home router (Replaced a RB2011LS) which with my home connection (70/6) running torrents or such would put the 2011 at ~60% cpu load. Running some queues and NAT. The ERL with the same load was ~2% (WebGui) but load average in top was "0.01 0.02 0.01". Well, Minus the QoS. The GUI is at times pretty slow. The CLI is pretty similar to Vyatta (Since it's pretty much based on it). And the fact you can load 3rd party packages like iftop, mtr..etc. is pretty nice.

Only issues I found was the routing table listed in the web GUI doesn't always reflect the output of the actual routing table. As well as the NAT connection tracking table seemed to be overly persistent.

Racked the FI and Nexus..working ont the cabling...crappy pics..i'll have some good ones later this week when i'm done. Don't mind the older Dell servers..they will be going soon and a demo BE6K will be taking that spot in the rack where it belongs next too another C series that run UC demos.

photo10ew.jpg

Last edited:
Damn you guys!!! I'm trying to save some bandwith here and you can see it if you put your nose right on the screen.....:D

Alright, I bit. Ordered two Edgemax's from DoubleRadius. Looking forward to seeing what all the hubbub is about :D

Yes there is a free version of Sophos available on their website. I believe it is linux based (using pretty interface names like eth0 is a giveaway :) )

Back