Network pics thread

aside from the smaller power supply (340 watt vs 740 watt supply on the Cisco), no actually we didn't. When talking the long term ball game, The 2960s we looked at were turned out to be the same price. Since we are already a Cisco shop it made some sense to just stick it out

even with free lifetime on the HP? do you keep smartnet on all your cisco's?

switching to HP-CLI from Cisco is a bit of a jump tho

I used to us an R200 and an PE860 as well. But they cost too much to run 24/7 :(

How much did you pay for running your 24/7? :confused:

Anyways I'm going to build a computer with at 500W psu. No HDDs going to use the Dell PowerVault for the datastores. Most likely I'll go with a AMD based system for my new esxi. Like you mentioned, they are pricey if you run them 24/7.

Might give the Cisco routers and switches to my cousin, he'll be needing for some studies. (only for studies, he'll give them back as soon he's finished). Also I'll be getting 2 gigabit Netgear switches for my network. :D:D

Last edited:
erl.jpg

Just got this in, it will be replacing my pfsense box hopefully.

I'd really love to ditch my ASA 5505 for a edge router lite, anybody done comparisions on them yet? jealous of you thedintedcan

the new guy on the engineering team here has 2 hes getting ready to put through the paces

Mine should be here on Thursday. Gonna replace my Mikrotik with it. My ASA sits behind it for VPN.

IMG_3366_zpsdd2effbe.jpg

Nothing too fancy, but exciting for me :D. I'll be sure to get pictures of my revamped network once I've moved at the end of the month.

Related to FC... Got me a 4Gbps Brocade 200e switch with 12 gbics rather cheap :p

2.jpg

Didn't take any pics with cover on... ooops
Funny detail: Fan control, it just does not care. As long there's 3 identical fans inside everything is OK.
Swapped 11krpm fans to 3krpm fans. "Yeah these will do." and switch turned on the fan control (slowing em even further).

Yep, FC only.

Well ethernet management but that's it =P

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 2GB FC HBA cards at home that look like those. Are they worth anything? I only need like 2 of em, the rest are just sitting in box, maybe it's time to let someone make use of em. That and I got a McData switch in my rack I don't use too. :p It's FC for a SAN, not to be confused with Fiber Ethernet, though. Otherwise I'd definitely be using it for something!

Apparently my predecessor didn't understand cable management.

:eek:
Also the two fans over lapping! what's with that lol

I use a Gigabyte 990FX board for one of my ESXi boxes, works perfectly but I would not recommend it to anyone! If this is your first ESXi box, I would go back to step 1 and look for some easier to use hardware.

Also the two fans over lapping! what's with that lol

Right? That's how they came from the factory.. It's an antec case.

The one on the back pulls in. And the side is push out.. Thing runs bone cold anyways. But wooo stupid case design..

Hope it's as good as pFSense. Was looking at one of these too, but doesn't really do anything more than pFSense?

I am attracted to it cause it means I can pull a SFF PC out of my rack, and replace it with a much smaller unit. Perhaps that is the primary benefit of this unit!

Last edited:

I use a Gigabyte 990FX board for one of my ESXi boxes, works perfectly but I would not recommend it to anyone! If this is your first ESXi box, I would go back to step 1 and look for some easier to use hardware.

I use a 880FX board. Wasnt a big deal, I made sure it was on the list of working stuff tho

Back