Network pics thread

After spending the day in the nice bright sun, working my ass off, building our new shed. I come into the house and hear beeping in my room, look at my rack to see a blinking "RED" light on my qnap, of course i knew what this meant. Looking at the dashboard i find ANOTHER GOD DAM seagate drive died, this is the 3rd drive that has died out of 4. FML.

So out comes the drive. ( good thing i had a spare from Seagate in my closet. CAN YOU SAY prediction :)

Are you making sure to drag your feet across the carpet before installing the drive?

My desktop unit was purchased at the same time as your 1U, and the drives were from the same batch as well.

VuhAa.png

Any rapid temp change? Mine actually run warm locked in a metal cabinet without circulation.

not really, mine are locked in the cabinet, but there is air flow through the front out the back both front & rear doors have mesh on them for air flow, PLUS there are 2 fans on the top of the cabinet polling air out.

My game plan is to upgrade the 4 1tb drives to 2tb drives, use this for storage / backups. and host my Xen vm's on 1-2tb drives x 4 in the Dell R415, better performance & it has raid..

Dash.

I remember when you got that Qnap, if you've already had 3/4 drives fail, something has to be wrong.

Are the drives really failing, or could the qnap be complaining about SMART incorrectly?

Last edited:
I remember when you got that Qnap, if you've already had 3/4 drives fail, something has to be wrong.

Are the drives really failing, or could the qnap be complaining about SMART incorrectly?

well it fails over to the other drive ( hot spare ) and won't use the one that has failed.

Funny, cause I got 4 seagates the other day and 2 didn't show up i the BIOS. Totally gubbed.

Wonder if they have some quality issues.:confused:

Good thing I installed the new 740W 2960S. I am already using more power than the old 3560 could produce!

nXvid.jpg

Dell and their rediculus 10 ft power cords:
IMAG0358.jpg

thansk monoprice for the cheap 6ft'ers
IMAG0435.jpg

I couldnt think of a great way to make them look less messy but still move when I pull out a server on the rails

Haha, yeah and they are thick too. We just use regular cables and toss them in our power cable bin. I used two of them today for extra long ones needed for some monitors.

ordered half a dozen Broadcom 57711 10Gb NIC's with dual fiber SFP+'s today :D

pics to come.

Those dell cords always sucked we had the fancy APC multi-bank power strips in mose racks- so we also had fancy cables for power and just tossed the dell ones :)

Little love on my desk Some real Cisco stuff.

Question attached to this tho, does Cisco make a router that does

Vlans & intrusion prevention "AND" Av at the gateway ? is there such a device ?

Some day id like to use / have one instead of Untangle.

Here is a 2960 & 1811 that i'm going to play with, read my blog and you shall see my progress report.

DSCN3232.JPG

I bought my friend a Synology and a 2TB HDD as a gift and I really don't have any use for it myself... but this thing is so awesome that it makes me want to keep it :(

the ASA's wont cut it?

Here is a 2960 & 1811 that i'm going to play with, read my blog and you shall see my progress report.

DSCN3232.JPG

nice :)

DSCN3232.JPG

Shouldnt a ASA 5510 do this? I have one at my main facility and I think we do that. Im not 100% sure though, I dont run the network side of things.

Shouldnt a ASA 5510 do this? I have one at my main facility and I think we do that. Im not 100% sure though, I dont run the network side of things.

I'm not sure, never used one. However i can TAX the crap out of my TZ210 over vlans tho :( that's why it's in it's box doing nothing..

I'm not sure, never used one. However i can TAX the crap out of my TZ210 over vlans tho :( that's why it's in it's box doing nothing..

what are you doing with the VLANs, need ACL's between them? Maybe a layer 3 switch can handle your inter VLAN routing, and you can just use a firewall to do your IDP and AV stuff?

and some pics, it's been cleaned up a bit more now, should have taken pictures before I left. one of our locations moved into new office space, so I was down there to do some setup work. Switching closet pics:

Hqc9Hl.jpg

lIznzl.jpg

XTdFal.jpg

Also deployed a Cisco 2504 WLC, a few 1140 LWAPs, a mac mini server+drobo for time machine backups, and a few other goodies. Forgot to take pics of the other stuff.

Also, graybar didn't have lacing bars in stock, so, sorry about the messy wires.

Last edited:
Berg0,

If i had known i would have bought a layer 3 24 port gig switch :( but i didn't know that traffic across vlans through the tz210 was going to tax it :(

If i had the money id buy a layer 3 24 port gig switch NOW! but oh well the sg200 working well for now.

Back