Network pics thread

man i shoulda taken pictures of the migration I did today, fortigate 40c replaced a ASA 5505, untangle box, and a cisco 2620. the 'equipment room' was an utter mess and is much cleaner now :p

I so want to play with fibre at home :(

IMGA0449.jpg

I have a couple of those media converters, they work well for their price and what they are...MC220L or something!?

after you pulled most of it out and put it in the colo? Too much fun.

Ah yes. That was a different installation for a different company, I think. (I forget which setups I post here and when...)

But yeah, I DO do a lot of shuffling gear around it seems...

Just my day at work today:

Haha, one of our facilities shares a government building with other government departments and there's an old data room on the top floor from the late 80s, early 90s. I walked in there to work on a server the other day and here a couple raised floor tiles were off and there were giant fans blowing under the floor and there was some in the hallway outside of the data room. Can't say that that instilled any sense of happy feelings for me. I checked for any damage or anything on our equipment, but we were fine.

I popped into one of the sites I frequent yesterday and thought, "hmmm it`s warm in here" further investigations lead me to the wall mounted aircon unit flashing some error code, (think it was P08) and was actually off! Someone had decided to place a fan in the room between two cabinets that had no actual equipment in, they were the cabinets that had the patch panels in them!

They did however put the fan on auto swivel!:confused::(

My building didn't get as much IT love during setup as the others, because we're a factory. I'm sure the nice office buildings have much better IDF/MDFs. At least the room is nice and chilly.

The orange cable under the floor is indeed just Cat5.

Not exactly a network pic per say, but this is why I made sure to not install any plumbing near my server area:

lrg-1300-dsc04346.JPG

lrg-1298-dsc04345.JPG

lrg-1297-dsc04344.JPG

Close call.

In other news, I've been experimenting with different ways of achieving a long run time UPS solution.

Hooking up batteries to an existing UPS, using inverter/relay combos etc... and at the end of the day, ended up buying a Tripp Litte Inverter-charger for simplicity when I scored that find on ebay. Ordered it today. It's hard to find an inverter charger that can switch fast. All the ones I was finding switched in seconds, not milliseconds, and were modified sine wave.

APS750-FRONT-M.jpg

And in case anyone ever wondered, a typical inverter does not sync the neutral to ground. That's kinda what foiled my original plan. I could not find a DPST 3 way relay which I would have needed in order to switch hot and neutral at same exact time to the inverter.

I'll probably end up getting a metal shelf of some sort so I can properly locate the inverter charger and batteries.

Nice Dash, looks cute lol.

Couple of projects I've been working on,
V - Before reinstall/move around, netbook running 2K8 Enterprise 32bit, screen was running Macbuntu from a bootable stick.

V - During, putting my old mobo into the new case, 1.8GHz Core2Duo, 4GB ram.

V - Fits in nice behind the screen after I moved the test machine, that's sitting on a shelf, will plug it back in when I feel the need.

V - KVM'd the netbook and new machine into the big screen, trying to work on that netbook can get annoying as the screen is so small.

V - Load while running Minecraft server, which is what I built that machine for. Only for testing of plugins and that, thinking of running some virtual machines on there once I've finished.

So yeah, I present GH1 and GH2, SAMP and Minecraft testing servers.
GH1 is set up so it can be remoted onto anytime, I have people in Serbia and the Netherlands jump on there to test. It's a long story but whenever we wanted to test it was too late my time to fire the ML server up, the netbook is perfect as it's not loud and doesn't use much power. I think it has an uptime of about 2 weeks now, should do some updates. - Specs, Acer Aspire One 751h, Intel Atom @ 1.33GHz/2cores, 2GB ram, 160GB hdd, 2K8 Enterprise 32bit.

GH2 is just to please me while I'm bored, plus a mate wanted to have a Minecraft server hosted occasionally. Spec again, Core2Duo @ 1.8GHz, 4GB ddr2 ram, 40GB drive, 2K8 Enterprise 64bit.

Oh and mind the crappy quality, taken on my phone in low light :p

So yeah, I present GH1 and GH2, SAMP and Minecraft testing servers.
GH1 is set up so it can be remoted onto anytime, I have people in Serbia and the Netherlands jump on there to test. It's a long story but whenever we wanted to test it was too late my time to fire the ML server up, the netbook is perfect as it's not loud and doesn't use much power. I think it has an uptime of about 2 weeks now, should do some updates. - Specs, Acer Aspire One 751h, Intel Atom @ 1.33GHz/2cores, 2GB ram, 160GB hdd, 2K8 Enterprise 32bit.

I sure hope you are at least running that on a seperate vlan...

In other news, I've been experimenting with different ways of achieving a long run time UPS solution.

Hooking up batteries to an existing UPS, using inverter/relay combos etc... and at the end of the day, ended up buying a Tripp Litte Inverter-charger for simplicity when I scored that find on ebay. Ordered it today. It's hard to find an inverter charger that can switch fast. All the ones I was finding switched in seconds, not milliseconds, and were modified sine wave.

And in case anyone ever wondered, a typical inverter does not sync the neutral to ground. That's kinda what foiled my original plan. I could not find a DPST 3 way relay which I would have needed in order to switch hot and neutral at same exact time to the inverter.

I'll probably end up getting a metal shelf of some sort so I can properly locate the inverter charger and batteries.

Let me know how it goes with the Tripplite APS1250, specifically regarding dirty AC sine that is supposedly handed out from the device. Hopefully if you get good results I can retire my Smart-UPS 3000 RM XL with an extra battery pack. I may be interested in the Tripplite APSINT2012 so I can feed 220 to my rack PDUs.

Last edited:
I sure hope you are at least running that on a seperate vlan...

Not yet. I't something I want to have a mess around with though. I don't have the equipment to do it since it's all switch based iirc?
And anyways, the people that do go on there are people I can trust. Everything over the lan is protected/passworded, there's no open shares or machines without a password, I made sure of that. The account they use is also locked down; it can only access folders I want t to on the 'server'.
And if they DO get somewhere where they shouldn't be, the hub they're plugged into is under my desk, so it's no biggie to pull the plug on them. :)

Not yet. I't something I want to have a mess around with though. I don't have the equipment to do it since it's all switch based iirc?
And anyways, the people that do go on there are people I can trust. Everything over the lan is protected/passworded, there's no open shares or machines without a password, I made sure of that. The account they use is also locked down; it can only access folders I want t to on the 'server'.
And if they DO get somewhere where they shouldn't be, the hub they're plugged into is under my desk, so it's no biggie to pull the plug on them. :)

Oh boy.....

Sonicwalls arn't bad, I've played around with them. I only found they were expensive compared to other solutions but that was a long time ago, things could have changed since then.

Sonicwalls arn't bad, I've played around with them. I only found they were expensive compared to other solutions but that was a long time ago, things could have changed since then.

Have having a pro 2040 (sonicwalls gen 4 family) I understand why people despise them so much... But really in my opinion the gen 5 models are solid. I compared them to a fortigate and found the sonicwalls to be cheaper for 3 years than 1 year of the fortigate.

Oops you voided the warranty...

Only comes with 1 year warranty on hardware anyways :)

Have having a pro 2040 (sonicwalls gen 4 family) I understand why people despise them so much... But really in my opinion the gen 5 models are solid. I compared them to a fortigate and found the sonicwalls to be cheaper for 3 years than 1 year of the fortigate.

I can actually setup a sonicwall now properly and with out issues. I've found them to be nice and easy NOW, but when I was starting out and didn't understand them FML i hated it with fire!

If i ever get a decent chunk of change i might get a NFR 2400..:p

hu....h.....hu.... hub? :eek:

vlans are the least of your worries...

Only comes with 1 year warranty on hardware anyways :)

I can actually setup a sonicwall now properly and with out issues. I've found them to be nice and easy NOW, but when I was starting out and didn't understand them FML i hated it with fire!

If i ever get a decent chunk of change i might get a NFR 2400..:p

hmmm I was looking at one for a VPN appliance for home ala your idea dash

the netscreen 50 maybe? so sa-1000...they any good? also looked at previous gen fortigates, or an older pix that supports encryption

hmmm I was looking at one for a VPN appliance for home ala your idea dash

the netscreen 50 maybe? so sa-1000...they any good? also looked at previous gen fortigates, or an older pix that supports encryption

check my blog, i put upa pile of pictures and information about my setup lastnight :)

yes I have been thinking about it

i could esxi it or reuse some of my pile of hardware I have laying around

Hehe my little minimalist 19" rack :)
1.jpg

1" angled iron, welding, grinding and handful of m6 bolts. TADA!

1.jpg

Picked up those nokias for 5e/piece from local recycling store. No freaking what to do with them, they just seemed interesting.
Seem like pentium 3 stuff, SDR, 4x Intel 100/10 nics, places for 2x pc card, cf or 2.5" IDE storage :p

Back