Network pics thread

my switch over from a hub and spoke operation with dell 2724's to home runs to HP A5120's with 10gb backplane is complete

one of my backups went from 16 to 6 hours.

it had its last leg as fiber running at 100, after my radio guy got it up to 1 gig its down to 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I was running some backup, 24/7. now my backup window is a few hours.

worth every penny of 35g's between the switches, wiring, and the 2 new core routers(went from 7206 with a really old NPE to 2911's). all new patch stuff and 3 new racks in there too

Where I work (Small office type environment) we have been using nothing but Dell, we have 2x 5448's, 3x 3524p's, 1x 3548p, 1x 6224f and we haven't had a problem.. They're dirt cheap and unless you are running lots of traffic (we aren't.. Most traffic is at 10pm when 20 computers go to backup) or doing a ton of dynamic l3 on the 6224 they're fine. The only reason we have a few Cisco's is Dell didn't sell what we needed and Cisco had the best option.

Now, queue the hordes of people who are going to berate me for saying that Dell's aren't horrible.

we used to run Dell 6248's as our core but we hit a limitation with them and they were no longer good for our core. We still use 6248P's for our access layer and they haven't given us any problems.

I've posted pics of our main data room racks, but here it is again
Catalyst 4507R+E is our core. PowerConnect 6248's are the access layers. Also have two ASA5520's, a 3945e Gen 2 for our head end vpn router, and a Cisco 2921 as our main internet router.
MBuildingswitchrack.jpg

Admin Building rack - 4507R+E is the core, single ASA5520, and PowerConnect 6248P's is the access. Not in the pics is another 3945e Gen 2, 2921.
CatACisco4507E.jpg

New Equallogic PS6110 - 24 600GB 15K SAS drives
PS6110-Front.jpg

Dual Controllers with 10Gb SFP+
ps6110-rear.jpg

Current Production SANs covered up, not counting the soon to be added PS6110
SANS2.jpg

Uncovered to show off the disky goodness.
SANS1.jpg

tox, yours looks like this picture of the one at emc :) thats 190 15,000 RPM SAS drives @ 600gig each :)

DSCN3145.JPG

dash...thats got us beat by a mile lol. thats some serious IOPS there.

I have to say, even though we are not a Dell shop and not to particular on Dell hardware, to a point anyways, I really like the look of Dell's newer servers.

I've posted pics of our main data room racks, but here it is again
Catalyst 4507R+E is our core. PowerConnect 6248's are the access layers. Also have two ASA5520's, a 3945e Gen 2 for our head end vpn router, and a Cisco 2921 as our main internet router.
MBuildingswitchrack.jpg

Admin Building rack - 4507R+E is the core, single ASA5520, and PowerConnect 6248P's is the access. Not in the pics is another 3945e Gen 2, 2921.
CatACisco4507E.jpg

New Equallogic PS6110 - 24 600GB 15K SAS drives
PS6110-Front.jpg

Dual Controllers with 10Gb SFP+
ps6110-rear.jpg

Current Production SANs covered up, not counting the soon to be added PS6110
SANS2.jpg

Uncovered to show off the disky goodness.
SANS1.jpg

How many users on the ASA5520's? I am looking at 4 to replace our current Barracuda/Openvpn solution, and to handle our dual internet connections/site to site link.

How many users on the ASA5520's? I am looking at 4 to replace our current Barracuda/Openvpn solution, and to handle our dual internet connections/site to site link.

We have over 50 field users that can connect through the SSL VPN portal or use anyconnect, plus all of our email, store traffic, and home office traffic flows through them. The main data room pair is setup as a failover pair. In our admin building we have a single ASA that has VPN traffic from our stores and all of the users in the admin building which is about 75 users or so.

We have 2 Barracuda mail filters, one in each building for load balancing, but only mail filtering.

Great! We have 75 users, about 40 of those needing to use VPN. Our traffic is light right now, but we could be looking at another 100 users and moving our email to internally hosted.

Great! We have 75 users, about 40 of those needing to use VPN. Our traffic is light right now, but we could be looking at another 100 users and moving our email to internally hosted.

ASA5510 would be more than enough for that.

Correct, I do worry about the throughput though. We have a 100Mbps site to site fiber and a 100Mbps Cable connection/5Mb DSL connection at both sites. I still have a ton of research to do, but it looks like the 5520's are significantly more. Maybe a set of 5510'a would be enough with the SEC + license. If we upgrade the site to site link in the future, I will just have to get separate routers to handle the 1gb or 10gb connection.

Some EMC love.

Two Avamar grids side by side during our installation. 5 data nodes, 1 spare 1 utility. 12x 2TB + 1 SSD in each data node. Also have NDMP accelerator nodes at the top of the cabinets.

The grid on the left is the DR replica and was moved to our DR site after the initial replication. Its also been upgraded to 9 data nodes.

IMG00076-20110520-0926.jpg

Some EMC love.

Two Avamar grids side by side during our installation. 5 data nodes, 1 spare 1 utility. 12x 2TB + 1 SSD in each data node. Also have NDMP accelerator nodes at the top of the cabinets.

The grid on the left is the DR replica and was moved to our DR site after the initial replication. Its also been upgraded to 9 data nodes.

Technically those are dells :)

Correct, I do worry about the throughput though. We have a 100Mbps site to site fiber and a 100Mbps Cable connection/5Mb DSL connection at both sites. I still have a ton of research to do, but it looks like the 5520's are significantly more. Maybe a set of 5510'a would be enough with the SEC + license. If we upgrade the site to site link in the future, I will just have to get separate routers to handle the 1gb or 10gb connection.

My bosses like to give us some room for growth and have a way of getting really good deals on equipment. A little bit of overkill never hurt anyone lol.

Pics or it didn't happen....this is the network pics thread after all...

i posted pics earlier of it, not much has changed, have about 3 more small hardware migrations till I can pretty up the racks for final pics :p

+1, take a look at the new ASA 'next gen' range. Not sure on list of a 12/15 vs the 5510/5520 though...

+1, take a look at the new ASA 'next gen' range. Not sure on list of a 12/15 vs the 5510/5520 though...

The 5512 is basically a 10 without Sec+. The 15 is the 10 witch Sec+. The 25 is the 20, etc, etc. The pricing is pretty similar.

Picture time!

Moving my home infrastructure from sh*tty desktop cases scattered around the house to 1 central area: a rack.

Consists of:
- Norco RPC-230: ESXi whitebox
- Norco RPC-2208: NAS system
- Allied Telesis AT9924

The NAS box is not yet operational. The PSU has a 8p ATX plug while my motherboard only eats 4p. Bottomline: Need to upgrade my board+CPU.

The switch is also going. Pulling 42W from the plug without anything plugged in is outrageous. Thinking about an HP 1810.

Once my dad puts power and network in the attic, everything moves up.

Picture time!

Moving my home infrastructure from sh*tty desktop cases scattered around the house to 1 central area: a rack.

Consists of:
- Allied Telesis AT9924

The NAS box is not yet operational. The PSU has a 8p ATX plug while my motherboard only eats 4p. Bottomline: Need to upgrade my board+CPU.

The switch is also going. Pulling 42W from the plug without anything plugged in is outrageous. Thinking about an HP 1810.

I don't see why you would need to get a new motherboard.. just take one half of the 8 pin and plug it into the board. If it's a split one it's easy, if it's a full 8 pin plug it'll fit as long as there is room to overhang the other 4 pins.

Thats the problem. The board has a transistor right on the spot where the 4 extra pins should go.
The 8p connector is also a fixed one so no splitting. Obviously the system (a64 x2 4000+, Asus M2A-VM) does not boot without the 12v plug.

Picture time!

Consists of:
- Allied Telesis AT9924

Where did you get those 2u blanks?

That NAS looks ALOT like an RM Diskbox, which I should be receiving soonish, I hope.

Will take some pics of what I've been working on and upload tomorrow :)

Picture time!

Consists of:
- Allied Telesis AT9924

Looks liike emc stuff to me, plus the rack you have looks like the factory "shipping rack" that emc ships their equipment in, to witch gets thrown in the garbage after it's racked properly..

33970_10150742914398155_541148154_9465414_404827209_n.jpg

Being artistic with my SSH client.

Nikon D40 w/ Nikkor 18-55mm

F/Stop 4.5 ,Shutter 1/13 ,ISO 400, White Bal -1, Focal length 45mm

Last edited:
Thats the problem. The board has a transistor right on the spot where the 4 extra pins should go.
The 8p connector is also a fixed one so no splitting. Obviously the system (a64 x2 4000+, Asus M2A-VM) does not boot without the 12v plug.

Very carefully cut it in half lol. I'm sure you'd be able to with a box cutter if you were careful.

Looks liike emc stuff to me, plus the rack you have looks like the factory "shipping rack" that emc ships their equipment in, to witch gets thrown in the garbage after it's racked properly..

Correct ;). both blanks and rack were about to be thrown away after a field install.
The little racks sure are interesting to people. Very sturdy yet lightweight and not too big.

Ive done it with a side cutters, lol, hell ive just pulled the pins and stuck em in, lol

Correct ;). both blanks and rack were about to be thrown away after a field install.
The little racks sure are interesting to people. Very sturdy yet lightweight and not too big.

@SantaSCSCI where did you get those 2u blank panels on the front of the rack, they would go great with mine

After spending the day in the nice bright sun, working my ass off, building our new shed. I come into the house and hear beeping in my room, look at my rack to see a blinking "RED" light on my qnap, of course i knew what this meant. Looking at the dashboard i find ANOTHER GOD DAM seagate drive died, this is the 3rd drive that has died out of 4. FML.

So out comes the drive. ( good thing i had a spare from Seagate in my closet. CAN YOU SAY prediction :)

DSCN3225.JPG

what I saw,w he loggin in.

4th-qnap.jpg

I think in a few weeks, i'm going to order 4 2tb drives, for the qnap. I might look at buying 4 other drives for my R415 and host all the vm's on that, and use the qnap for snapshots vm backups and my personal stuff..

Back