Network pics thread

Well yeah, the plug will fit, but it has to be connected to a phone line at the other end.

well yes of course. he was seemingly terminating everything to the same rack, which is why I asked

That would be the case, but for some reason we have to do things differently in England:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets

You can get RJ45 to BT connectors, but I didn't want them hanging off the walls all over the house, so I opted for BT modules.

gooootcha. makes more sense now

It's mini-me! Well compared to the big boys we have here where I work. We have two 2MW gensets.

vlQQc.jpg

Woah, that is awesome. What is that powering? I'm guessing this is a CO or large data center?

And it must be freaking loud in there when they're running. :p

Why spend the money on core drilling when you could have just gotten bolt down bollards? Are you still going to fence it?

Nice genny. I have a slightly larger one (65KW) that I am trying to sell.

They are going to put in the concrete filled metal tube things. We're more worried about a Kenworth running into a $40k project. :( at the moment.

Woah, that is awesome. What is that powering? I'm guessing this is a CO or large data center?

And it must be freaking loud in there when they're running. :p

These bad boy's power a large data center during a power outage.

Hearing protection is a must when they are running. I was actually standing next to them when they kicked in during a power outage and it scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:
might be a stupid question, but I was under the impression you can just plug rj11 into 45 and bam it will work, so you wouldnt have to redo anything?

Thats what we do at my office. All of our phone jacks are white RJ45 keystone jacks. We plug in the RJ11 or RJ12 jacks into them and they work fine. Obviously at the phone system end we know which colors to use

I love the infrastructure involed at data centers. Our colo gave us a tour and the generator room was kickass. Apparently the way they do it is that power comes in off of the city grid that powers motors that spin these massive granite wheels at tens of thousands of rpms which then spin generators that power the facility.

The thinking is that the angular momentum of these spinning blocks will keep the generators running in case of a power outage long enough for the cutover to the diesel generators to occur.

I always wonder what would happen if the granite disks were to crack and fly apart like a dremel cutting disk. :D

The next room on the tour is the deisel room with five or six massive engines similar in size to the bad boys in JohnYYC's picture. That room is pretty badass because its warehouse-sized and a whole wall is an air filter and the opposite wall is louvered for the outflow of hot air. I'd love to be in that room (with goggles and ear protectors) when the windstorm kicked off.

I always wonder what would happen if the granite disks were to crack and fly apart like a dremel cutting disk. :D

I think the metal banding around them would keep the fragments together... But it would still be catastrophic and spectacular I'm sure.

The next room on the tour is the deisel room with five or six massive engines similar in size to the bad boys in JohnYYC's picture. That room is pretty badass because its warehouse-sized and a whole wall is an air filter and the opposite wall is louvered for the outflow of hot air. I'd love to be in that room (with goggles and ear protectors) when the windstorm kicked off.

I love being in the genset room when they are running. When the full load transfers off the batteries on to the gensets and you hear the difference by how hard the genset is working it makes me feeling like Tim Taylor of Home Improvement. MORE POWER! :)

latest updates from our build, room was handed over from construction yesterday afternoon.

P1000458.jpg

P1000460.jpg

P1000461.jpg

P1000462.jpg

P1000465.jpg

P1000466.jpg

P1000467.jpg

P1000468.jpg

P1000469.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is, that stuff is so stiff I used a bunch of it once to pull my truck from a ditch- no BS.

Lurked around here for a while now, finally decided to post.

Here is my home setup. Nothing too special.... I work for a mid-sized IT dept mostly doing projects and tier 4 support. After spending all day fixing problems created by IT other people, I don't want to troubleshoot anything at home. Hence the simplicity of my setup. Also I need something that "just works" as my wife works a lot from home.

Basically its a 16mb Cable internet connection going into a Linksys E3000, and then i have a Cisco SD100-16 for connections all around the house. Also connected in there is a D-Link vonage VTA. All connected into a 1000VA UPS to keep the phone up in the event of a power outage.

Patch panel is monoprice, and some panduit cable management to top it off...

I also have a Hyper-V lab at home..... Perhaps I will post pictures of that later.

Thinking of bringing in another type of internet connection for fail-over purposes, but we'll see.....

Home_Network.JPG

Yes it is, that stuff is so stiff I used a bunch of it once to pull my truck from a ditch- no BS.

LOL.
I have used shielded Cat5e before to tow a car. A friends dad is a construction manager and recycles all the scrap on site. We were trying to jump his car, (push start it/pop the clutch) and ended up down at the bottom of a hill. We could not find any rope or cable, so we used a bunch of 40ft lengths braided together. It was awesome.

I have jump started cars with LMR400 Coax and CAT5E.

Cool shit!

Constantly changing network. Just recently upgraded my ESXi box to a E5520 with 24GB of ram. Running a test network and Asterisk PBX system with Cisco 7940G phones.

I have a couple of i7s coming from the Intel Retail Edge program, so I might spawn a few more servers.

006.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Klank why did you put the APCs in the center of the rack?

at a guess i would say so power cables are kept shorter as its only half a rack each way.

would be much better off mounting the UPS in the bottom (always put heaviest kit in the bottom and get lighter as you go up) and then use PDUs to distribute thoughout the racks.

The data centers in which I've stored gear have mandates that heavy gear goes on the bottom and they'll make you rerack if your disk arrays and other heavy stuff is anywhere but at the bottom.

Earthquakes and all that.

Klank why did you put the APCs in the center of the rack?

APC's power cable isn't long enough for my outlet that is 8' off the ground. I wanted to keep everything high and out of the way.

Plus the APC serves as a nice shelf for the monitor and keyboard.

Built a server for my boss's house. This is the file server for his... well im not sure what, something with home automation/audio/video controls. We're a VidaBox reseller, but hes not using that at his house now, hes switching to someone else... but this is the main file server. I have 5 other servers to make, including a HTPC with a Ceton card...

We only have 3 storage drives in it now, in a RAID 5. Room to grow though:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Motherboard
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Core-i7-2600k Processor
2- WD 320GB 6.0Gb/s Drives (in a RAID 1, using Motherboards onboard RAID)
3- WD 2TB 3.0Gb/s RE4 Drives (in a RAID 5)
HighPoint RocketRAID 3530 Controller
iStarUSA D-410B10SA-BLUE Case
Corsair 1050w Power Supply
Windows 7 x64 bit

6560632387_761d49929a_b.jpg

6560632059_ce47543bea_b.jpg

6560632199_2924545719_b.jpg

Nice, but that PSU is massive overkill for that fileserver. Even if you populate all 10 drives, it won't draw more than 250W at full load, might hit 400W for simultaneous spinup, but only for a few seconds and you can avoid it by setting up staggered on that Highpoint card...

Also interested in that case. I don't think I've seen a rackmouunt case with side-to side airflow in years...

Nice, but that PSU is massive overkill for that fileserver. Even if you populate all 10 drives, it won't draw more than 250W at full load, might hit 400W for simultaneous spinup, but only for a few seconds and you can avoid it by setting up staggered on that Highpoint card...

Also interested in that case. I don't think I've seen a rackmouunt case with side-to side airflow in years...

I was just going to say 1000 W is WAY overkill. A 500W PSU would have been plenty.

4U and only 10 drive bays?
Yeah, it's got to make the rail kit awkward to mount.

Boss wanted a 1000w power supply, who was i to argue...

its an iStarUSA case. He only wanted 10 bays. I use some of their chasis for eSATA enclosures/port multiplyers, one has i believe 24 Hot swappable hd spots in 4U of space

Back