Network pics thread

We have 6 two post racks with shelves and rackmount servers on them :( I cant stand it. Its from the "old days" where they had tower servers in them.

If we end up moving I will be putting in 4 post racks.

Ha funny, reminds me of when I got my server rack last year, it was around this time. It was like a Christmas present from Purolator. :p

You should get a second one, and it will make a 4 post rack. :D Just have to space them right, think it's 1 meter that's the standard, but there is some play. There are conversion kits you can get actually. But if it's mostly going to be network stuff you should be fine.

Here are before and after pictures of a switch upgrade I performed yesterday. This is the core of our network at one of the company's plants. I wish I had more time for cable management, but we only had a short window for an outage. Actually, I wish the people before me took more time and did things properly from the get go, but oh well.

We replaced two 4506's and a 48 port poe 3560 with two brand new 4506-E's with a total of 2 48port gig sfp line cards and 3 48port gig poe line cards. Click on the thumbnails for bigger pics.

Before:

After:

I've seen a full blown rackmount UPS in a 2 post rack. Not the prettyest thing, but it can be done! There is a special bracket that extends so it is more centered, so it's actually not that bad.

I've seen a full blown rackmount UPS in a 2 post rack. Not the prettyest thing, but it can be done! There is a special bracket that extends so it is more centered, so it's actually not that bad.

and I still wouldn't do it.. switches and telco gear are for 2 railed racks. 4 post racks are designed to mount a 1-xxx U server for a reason..

and I still wouldn't do it.. switches and telco gear are for 2 railed racks. 4 post racks are designed to mount a 1-xxx U server for a reason..

It's really not that big of a deal as long as you have the proper 2 post rackmount kits. It is pretty standard to see servers running teleco stuff to be mounted in a 2 post rack. as long as the rack is bolted to the floor it is fine.

This has to be my favorite bad cabling photo of all time:

yellow_wall.jpg

facebook chat breaks, server tech calls noc and says "I think i found the problem, there is a cable unplugged"

My 2nd cab arrived, just installed it a few minutes ago. :)

I have 8U already spoken for! :D

I'm missing the bottom supports, those are on the way.

My Home networking. Thanks [H] team, for advice on cabling. Just got a 24 port gigabit managed switch and ordered some 1ft cat5e cables. Looks much cleaner now. I just need to tidy up some RG6. This posting maybe helpful for people that want a patch panel that includes RG6. This is a 24 port keystone panel. My house is now operational, all rooms have at least 1 RG6 and cat5. Running cables through existing structures is a pain...

photogm.jpg

"Running cables through existing structures is a pain..."

Understatement of the year.

Year?

Clearly the century

I did a wiring job for a m8's house, 3 stories of utter conquest of my mental capacities. I had a headache after the end of a whole week working on it. But I made out with $5000, so I wasnt to upset when a paycheck was in hand

To give an idea, we went through 8 boxes of cat6 (this did his phone and data lines) and another 5 boxes of 500' RG-6 cable with a single 300' RG-11 line run under the house to connect two different termination closests we set up.

Great experiance and actually look forward to my next job on that.

Here's my home network, nice to have everything tucked away out of sight in a cupboard. The apartment was bought as renovation project, and I don't know how long I'll stay here so I opted for a surface mount patch panel so that I can pull everything out and leave it tidy and ready for the next owners.

6542841803_3395de6c4b_z.jpg

6542842179_8edef1411e_z.jpg

The Netgear WNR3500L runs Tomato. I still need need to configure the Juniper but it will eventually provide a tunnel to the NetScreen devices at work.

The ReadyNAS box is used for Time Machine backups, downloading media and streaming to a Sony BDPS370, which works really well.

All of this is connected to the outside world through vDSL - 40Mb down 10Mb up, sadly the best I can get around here.

Thanks all!

How did you mount that UPS?

APC make them wall mountable, it hooks onto a couple of hefty screws.

Actually you can see one of the screws in this photo before I ran the cable to the final two rooms:

5605306515_9cf94b8307_z.jpg

I ran both phone and network cables with Cat5e, so I could potentially chop and change in the future:

6550100313_617f58fa36_z.jpg

Finally here's the cabinet before I swapped to the procurve switch, it was probably visually a bit neater then:

6385301221_edff3c184a_z.jpg

Last edited:
I ran both phone and network cables with Cat5e, so I could potentially chop and change in the future:

6550100313_617f58fa36_z.jpg

might be a stupid question, but I was under the impression you can just plug rj11 into 45 and bam it will work, so you wouldnt have to redo anything?

might be a stupid question, but I was under the impression you can just plug rj11 into 45 and bam it will work, so you wouldnt have to redo anything?

That would be the case, but for some reason we have to do things differently in England:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets

You can get RJ45 to BT connectors, but I didn't want them hanging off the walls all over the house, so I opted for BT modules.

I was not sure if I had already posted up this 30kVA sexy beast.

Why spend the money on core drilling when you could have just gotten bolt down bollards? Are you still going to fence it?

Nice genny. I have a slightly larger one (65KW) that I am trying to sell.

Back