Network pics thread

I was back at my mom's place for the holidays and I figured I would take some photos of the old router I set up when we got cable internet around 2001 in service until 2003 when we got a Linksys wrt54g v2 at some point.

Its an AT machine which boots freesco linux off a floppy, runs a Pentium 166 with 4 sticks of EDO ram. Equipped with two! ISA 10Base-T network cards.

Ran great before consumer routers were common place and cheap.

Thought people might like to see for fun.

jTs8pl.jpg

BhF9ml.jpg

85E34l.jpg

I was back at my mom's place for the holidays and I figured I would take some photos of the old router I set up when we got cable internet around 2001 in service until 2003 when we got a Linksys wrt54g v2 at some point.

Its an AT machine which boots freesco linux off a floppy, runs a Pentium 166 with 4 sticks of EDO ram. Equipped with two! ISA 10Base-T network cards.

Ran great before consumer routers were common place and cheap.

Thought people might like to see for fun.

http://i.imgur.com/jTs8pl.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BhF9ml.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/85E34l.jpg[/QUOTE]

Any Gui at all on that thing? Does it still boot?

Any Gui at all on that thing? Does it still boot?

I'm not sure if it still boots. I'd have to find a monitor to hook it up to, only laptops here at the moment.

Freesco had a text based configuration wizard, not really a GUI but much easier than setting up all the NAT stuff in config files in linux 10 years ago.

edit: the TV has a VGA input, found a power cable and a vga cable around, and it still works! Loaded the floppy image into a ramdrive and booted linux, paused on waiting for DHCP since there is no network connection. fun times. 64megs edo ram and a pentium 166, quite the router.

Last edited:
Never mind monitor, where the heck are you going to find an AT keyboard to plug into that thing, would it even boot without a keyboard?

Never mind monitor, where the heck are you going to find an AT keyboard to plug into that thing, would it even boot without a keyboard?

Haha, yes, it does boot without the AT keyboard but there was one lying there on top of it for the past 10 years, probably also works unless the cat ate the cord.

Come on guys, i know someone got something that blinks for Christmas!!! Lets show it!

I've got something that doesn't blink that is supposed to on Christmas eve and I am still at work... so it's been a shitty Christmas for me. :mad:

I was flew to Tokyo on Christmas eve, got there Christmas day.
The anti-collision lights on the plane were blinking, does that count?

I asked Santa for a Nexus Switch. I did not get it :(

me too :(.

Oh well, I'm deploying 2x5596 at work for the data center soon. Boss doesn't know I'm vetoing using the layer 3 addon cards so we don't get limited on our FEX's for re-cabling the server farm and dual homing mostly everything

Boss wanted a 1000w power supply, who was i to argue...

its an iStarUSA case. He only wanted 10 bays. I use some of their chasis for eSATA enclosures/port multiplyers, one has i believe 24 Hot swappable hd spots in 4U of space

Your boss does not impress me with his 1000w power supply idea. :(

I got a Sans Digital TRM5+B enclosure..does that count?

Also made a call today to have someone count out and do a site survey to run fiber from our demarc to our server rooms in both of our buildings. Our 4507's should be arriving any day now. Pics to come.

Code:
3com SuperStack II Baseline Dual Speed Hub 3C16592A (12-port)

3com SuperStack II Baseline Hub 3C16440 (12-port)

3com SuperStack II Dual Speed Hub 500 3C16611 (24-port)

3com SuperStack II Hub 10 3C16671A (24-port)

3com SuperStack II Switch 1000 3C16901A (12-port)

3com LinkBuilder FMS II 3C16670 (12-port) with 100Base-FX 3C16920 module

3com LinkBuilder FMS II 3C16670 (12-port) with stacking port module

100Base-FX Distance Extender 3C16684
	Fiber TCVR module, 1206-560-000, 2.01

100Base-FX Distance Extender 3C16684
	Fiber TCVR module, 1206-560-000, 2.01

Milon Technology ClassicConverter/Fast Ethernet Media Converter/100Base-Tx to 100Base-Fx Multi-Mode Fiber MIL-C102

DSL Kit, K330-L20 (unopened)
	1x CSPT-14 (twisted pair cable)
	1x Z-330CWA (wall adapter with filter)
	5x Z-330TJA (telephone inline filter)

DSL Kit, K330-L20
	1x Z-330CWA (wall adapter with filter)
	4x Z-330TJA (telephone inline filter)

3x of what appears to be many feet of red-black fiber wires
I want to get rid of this stuff, but I can't just post it in the For Sale section without prices, and I'm too lazy to post on Craigslist or eBay. I just want someone to buy these and take it away!

Working pulls last I know, but good luck resetting them. I also have these:

Code:
3com SuperStack III Firewall 3CR16110-95 (LAN, DMZ, WAN ports)

3com SuperStack III Switch 4400 SE 3C17206 (24-port); I have like 3 of these

3com SuperStack III Switch 4400 3C17204 (48-port)

3com SuperStack 3 Firewall 3CR16110-95
3com SuperStack 3 Switch 4400 SE 3C17206 (24-port) with 1 fibre channel card
3com SuperStack 3 Switch 4400 SE 3C17206 (24-port)
3com SuperStack 3 Switch 4400 SE 3C17204 (48-port) with 2 fibre channel cards

Last edited:
What is that exactly??? Can you fit a motherboard in there?

Its a Qnap 410U atom 800mhz with 4 1tb drives. got it for cheap :) with rails.

It was either buy this for the price or be raped for 1tb drives brand new. As MikeTrike stated it was hardly used and in mint condition :)

It was either buy this for the price or be raped for 1tb drives brand new. As MikeTrike stated it was hardly used and in mint condition :)

Dude, I'm pricing out HDD's for an upcoming DVR project for 2012. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Maybe they will come down in six months, but they are silly right now. :(

Dude, I'm pricing out HDD's for an upcoming DVR project for 2012. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Maybe they will come down in six months, but they are silly right now. :(

understand why i bought the qnap now ? :) If the device is to slow for iscsi, then im going to contact manufacture and buy the new mainboard for it..

800mhz for iscsi and a few vm's should be fine tho..

Yeah welcome to my world. Thats what our company does, we build DVR's and install access control/security systems. HD prices doubled in price and it kills us. We're still charging clients the same and its costing me a lot for hard drives.

The western dig green drives really arent that bad, some people had bad luck with them dying, I have 2 of the 2tb ones, and I have had 0 issues at all with them.

Question, Are you using WD Green drives in RAID?

nope, pretty sure they are enterprise drives, or what ever is recommended by manufacturer..

that picture i posted was just a picture from google.

Might post pictures of the unit next week.

That's a great deal. How loud are the fans and are they adjustable?

This would be a great solution for temporary media projects, thanks for sharing.

Question, Are you using WD Green drives in RAID?

It has Seagate 7.2k drives in it, he can run in RAID/JBOD/Whatever. Not enterprise since it uses Linux RAID, but they were ones from the compatibility list on the QNAP site. That was one of the reasons I originally picked it up, works well with commodity drives. I think the latest firmware will do RAID10 now as well, so that's a plus. And the even newer units can have 4 x GbE NIC ports with an easy to pop in factory card.

It has Seagate 7.2k drives in it, he can run in RAID/JBOD/Whatever. Not enterprise since it uses Linux RAID, but they were ones from the compatibility list on the QNAP site. That was one of the reasons I originally picked it up, works well with commodity drives. I think the latest firmware will do RAID10 now as well, so that's a plus. And the even newer units can have 4 x GbE NIC ports with an easy to pop in factory card.

thanks mike :)

I will be posting pictures of the unit, up close and inside YAY INSIDE since i can't find any one the net of what it looks like inside..

At a later date when drives are done raping us up the a$$ i will be migrating the storage to 4 2tb drives, the one good feature about this system is you can gradually build a larger storage with out powering down the unit. Insert a larger drive configure it and then continue adding more and more drives ( mine has 4 drives )

Looking at my cpu chart on my Freenas box running iscsi right now, it sits at 1% cpu, and it's only a dual core core2duo 2.0 with 4 gigs ram.. So i'm going to say this box should be just perfect, and a bit WEE quieter :)

Cause you make money that allows you to buy fancy things :) lol.

thats what 2 jobs does for you :)

Main job, goes to house & family.

Second Job networking cleanup & concealing = MY money for project's and toys :)

Screen shot of my Iscsi server running Freenas ( latest Version )

iscsi.png

It's fucking installed! The generator guys need to come out and certify the install. Then we we will schedule the cut-over on the wiring for the circuits that it will be handling. :) Which is pretty much my office, the server room and the extended demarc (switch and cable room, etc). w00tles.

You're adding a genset to an existing install, then? Is that possible without downtime? How do you install the switchgear to cut over to the generator source? Or was that switchgear already installed before the site went live?

Back