Network pics thread

6117290780_cb81c7dc1a_b.jpg

That doesn't answer all of his questions. He obviously knew enough to ask what size the drives were because it doesn't come with any. Did you even look at it before you posted your smartass link?:rolleyes:

Had 4 browser tabs between newegg and synology's site open. It was meant to be tongue in cheek not derogatory. hence the ;)

Sorry Highlander200268.

Had 4 browser tabs between newegg and synology's site open. It was meant to be tongue in cheek not derogatory. hence the ;)

Sorry Highlander200268.

I could have googled the answer yes, but the point of this forum is for people to talk about their gear, what would be the fun of just googling it when people could talk about their cool stuff?

i would just grab some ends and start redoing it one cable at a time, i would go nuts seeing that crap.

or if something goes wrong, just take daysss to fix it and claim that is why.

can you move the switches to be closer to the patch panels? then you could just run shorter cables betweenthem or tie them down the sides with velcro.

cable management makes things so much better looking, but its hard to do when your always upgrading or changing things, but good luck with that, deffinately would suggest some cable labels

I love this pic:

IMG_4278x.jpg

A couple hundred thousand dollars worth of gear (a conservative estimate) in someone's van. What would have happened if the van driver flipped it, destroying all of that tasty gear? I'm sure his personal auto insurance would have covered the loss, of course. :D

I love this pic:

IMG_4278x.jpg

A couple hundred thousand dollars worth of gear (a conservative estimate) in someone's van. What would have happened if the van driver flipped it, destroying all of that tasty gear? I'm sure his personal auto insurance would have covered the loss, of course. :D

Ouch, yes i see some cisco products, not cheap, was this a delivery driver or just an employee? i would say fedex or ups would have a ton of insurance on their vehicles, maybe not 100k but lol hope to never find out

Last edited:
Ouch, yes i see some cisco products, not cheap, was this a delivery driver or just an employee? i would say fedex or ups would have a ton of insurance on their vehicles, maybe not 100k but lol hope to never find out

Our colocation site is about 600 miles away. Sometimes I will drive there just to avoid the airports but I always have to ship the equipment because of insurance reasons.

When you drive with that much gear that is worth that much money, believe me, you worry a tad. Not a lot though, the fun part is getting to the client and setting it all up :)

I love this pic:

IMG_4278x.jpg

My eyes aren't good enough to pick out all the gear, but where do you see ~$200k worth of equipment in there?

No, I meant selecting a co-location facility that's so far away.

Either you pay lots of money for "hands on" to people who generally shouldn't be touching computers, or you absorb almost 8 hours extra downtime for physical failure events, or you've got some other solution.

Either you pay lots of money for "hands on" to people who generally shouldn't be touching computers, or you absorb almost 8 hours extra downtime for physical failure events, or you've got some other solution.

geographically-diversified

We have redundancy everywhere... two uplinks, firewalls, switching infrastructure, standby servers, SAN is fully redundant.

In the event of a site loss we have our DR site that's on hot standby.

We go up once every quarter or so to do hardware changes and have remote hands support from the co-location site if really needed.

Posted pictures before but have some updated ones.
20110822-1.jpg

20110822-2.jpg

20110822-3.jpg

20110822-4.jpg

20110822-5.jpg

My eyes aren't good enough to pick out all the gear, but where do you see ~$200k worth of equipment in there?

From the context of the other pictures in the album that this picture came from. There's a shot of piles of gear, then shots of the gear being boxed up, then shots of forklifting the gear into the van, then shots of the van.

So, no, this shot doesn't show lots of gear, but I know there's lots of gear in the van from the other shots.

My boss wanted me to rent a U-Haul and some day laborers when we were doing our office move with the colo relocation. I told him that if he wanted to pick up a bond for the value of our gear, and wanted to explain why the whole office has to be down for a week or three while we purchase new gear because some asshole crashed his Volvo into the van during my drive, totalling our server room, then go for it.

Otherwise we are hiring licensed and bonded professional IT movers to do it for us in a nice big tractor-trailer rig that will keep our gear nice and safe.

For content:

I recently downgraded my trusty high-availability cluster that's been in operation for the last eight years, serving up web sites for my small consulting gig. I basically stopped actively trying to get customers and have let them die off one at a time until now I basically host only stuff for my family. The power draw wasn't worth it, so downgraded to a games server and a single web server. :( :(

So here are some pics I took while tearing it all out:

THEN
Six IBM x336 servers (two domain controllers, two load-balanced web servers, two clustered database servers)
HP MSA1000 SAN
IMG_1529.jpg

The back shot:
Sonicwall 2040 PRO firewall
two stacked Catalyst switches
fiber everywhere
IMG_1534.jpg

NOW
IPC-4080 case with two 5-in-3 SATA bays (quad-core AMD processor, 8GB RAM, 8x500gb SATA drives in 2xRAID-10, LSI 6gb/s RAID controller )
IBM x336 dedicated games server
IMG_0353.JPG

Back shot:
Sonicwall 2040 PRO firewall
Netgear gigE switch
No fiber anywhere... :(
IMG_0352.JPG

I gotta admit, I'm feeling kinda sad about the downgrade. My setup seems so... pedestrian... now.

Damn... oh, to work in a shop that has the need for hardcore storage. Those are awesome. Just awesome.

I get so sick of working in the low-spindle-count, low budget, low future shop that I'm in now. :rolleyes:

What is amazing me is the angle that the pic is taken at. the poster must be really tall if those are the equivalent to 42U.
Those are RACKS?! :eek:

They look like Full/Tall ATX Chassis.. but then when I look at it "differently" I can see how it might be a rack. Crazy!

Damn... oh, to work in a shop that has the need for hardcore storage. Those are awesome. Just awesome.

I get so sick of working in the low-spindle-count, low budget, low future shop that I'm in now. :rolleyes:

I get ya, when I started here we had to somehow manage 60 VM servers on a 3TB SAN. The SAN was thin provisioned to look like 6TB and all the VMs were thin provisioned on top of that. She's not gunna hold any longer captain! Was scary.

Totally.

"Hey Boss. You know the adage, you get what you pay for? There you go."

Every day they bitch about our iSCSI SAN performance and all I can do is point to the six 15k SAS drives that are running flat out.

Want performance? Let's spend some dough so we can add another tray of disk to spread the load out and it'll haul ass. Until then, shut the F___ up about performance. There's nothing I can do.

/rant

Yeah I get some crap every now and then on our 20 disk SAN running 160 VM's on 7.2k SATA drives...

now our 60 disk 15k FC SAN is doing GREAT.

We put all the money into our production site. Hopefully in a few months the 60 disk CX4 will be shipped to our office and our PROD and DR SAN will be replaced with an VNX.

56 Marrieta St Atlanta has some of the best connectivity in the country. Lots of Florida Universities have their primary infrastructure there. Plus ATL is less susceptible to Hurricanes than Tampa.

That was me and my buddy (and ex collegue) driving the core network to The Gathering 2011 (1.5h drive). We had 2x CRS-3 with 100GBe linecards and other fun stuff in the back :cool:

To visualize it, this was in the van (yes they were a bitch to get in there):
IMG_3576x.jpg

Well to bad you'r to busy setting up Link Aggression to participants that want/need/can use it and will use it. Or let them set it up themself

Back