Network pics thread

It doesn't matter if your spending the money on expensive hookers. I for one am tired of looking at it untangle this and untangle that. Post up the help that these people ask. Leave the stickers and extra's for the untangle. They like that shit over there.

Ignore user option ;)

Back on topic guys post some gear, remember only one forum to sell things.

Nothing wrong with being biased but sometimes things ate suggested without even reading threads.......

Friends dont let friends use untangle.....

in all seriousness, the few times ive used untangle i felt like I was playing on the crayola website or something. Real network engineers dont use the GUI... to each their own I guess

Damn I wish I knew that I wasn't a real network engineer. Guess I should give back my CCNA and stop studying for CCNP.

Use what works for you, I am a visual person so I use GUI because I like to be able to see everything, I use CLI for initial configuration and troubleshooting, but for day to day operation GUI is much easier.

I use CLI for initial configuration and troubleshooting, but for day to day operation GUI is much easier.

Run away from Cisco then. For R&S you need to be a CLI guy. Maybe for wireless or some/most voice you can get away with being a GUI guy, but not R&S. Even security is mostly CLI.

Back to the phone discussions though. Whoever wants good phones for (what I think) is a decent price, check out Cisco 7940s. They can run SIP and work with 3rd party systems. Though, if you're going to learn a voice system you may as well dig into CallManager. Tons of routers will run CME, or you can jump into CUCM if you grab the ISO and install it in ESX. I'd choose learning one of Cisco's systems over Asterisk or Trixbox simply because that knowledge is more valuable.

Jesus, enough with the fracking Untangle already!

This untangle trolling is really starting to get out of hand. It's a fancy Linux distro, not a religion. Dashpuppy - you need to give it a rest. Pimping untangle is starting to get very old, very quickly. The sheer volume of this crap (and the responses) is starting to get ridiculous. No sense having an ongoing flame war.

With my editorial comments out of the way:

W6V0F.jpg

I got that PIX 515 surplus and haven't had a chance to pull off the old property tag.

Normally the 3745 is my home network core. I keep the PIX 515 around to screw around with. Plus, it's useful to set up at a LAN party (I have a NAT configuration with some QoS set up to optimize the flow for source games).

I got FiOS a while back. Late 2007, as I recall. The downside being that I'm stuck using PPPoE to connect. I'm guessing that they just reused the old DSL infrastructure. So I have to use PPPoE to connect, however, I don't have a real username or password. Allegedly, the router will accept anything. In reality, it gets some old login jammed in there and I have to keep changing usernames/passwords until I can get it again.

I've called VZ tech support and they refuse to move me off of PPPoE (allegedly they say it is not possible, the lvl1 guy was not willing to escalate).

The PPPoE worked fine until a couple weeks back, when the session dropped on the 3745, and I was not able to reconnect. After some debugging with tcpdump, and the span port on that 2912XL, I've determined that they're rejecting the PPPoE session, even before I submit username/pw and well before any IPCP negotiation. I'm guessing that as soon as they see a Cisco router trying to connect, they reject it immediately. Bastards.

So for now, I've been trying various PPPoE clients. The actiontec works fine, of course, however it's also a massive piece of junk. I have an old netgear firewall that works (sometimes), but it's even older than the craptiontec.

BRTJq.jpg

Right now, I'm playing with the PPPoE client on FreeBSD (which is running on that Sun Ultra 10). I'm going to try and get PPPoE working on the freebsd, then use ipfw to do NAT for my home lan.

Suffice it to say that I am very much not pleased with my FiOS subscription.

hey cymon, what OS did you get to install on the Sun? I haven't been able to get those to take any OS

cymon, does the cisco firewall allow for mac spoofing? What model Actiontec is it?

I've had Fios now for almost a month and found the Actiontec to be much better then anything Comcast provided me with.

I have the "MI424WR-GEN2"

cymon, does the cisco firewall allow for mac spoofing? What model Actiontec is it?

I've had Fios now for almost a month and found the Actiontec to be much better then anything Comcast provided me with.

I have the "MI424WR-GEN2"

The Actiontec would be great it it wasn't crippled when it comes to high numbers of connections with NAT (at least on earlier hardware revisions).

Yah Dash Puppy you're addicted. But... The logo looks ok on the MacBook.

My rack / systems are going to get an overhaul as soon as the tax return lands so i'm holding off on pictures. Will get some before/after shots though

hey cymon, what OS did you get to install on the Sun? I haven't been able to get those to take any OS

FreeBSD 8.1-sparc64. The ultra 10 is a sun4u machine.

I can configure the MAC address on the 3745 router and pix 515 firewall. However, the Pix 515 is running version 7.1 of the PIX OS, which does not support the pppoe client (only 6.3.5 and earlier).

Changing the MAC address would not help -- Verizon does not use MAC addresses for authentication (at least with a PPPoE deployment). Authentication on the FTTH networks is less of an issue. With cable or dsl, anyone can buy a cable modem or dsl modem and plug into the cable/telephone lines, since almost all houses have cable or analog phone service. However, most people don't have a fiber line coming off of the ISP's switches.

I have tried several pppoe clients. I think it is just verizon rejecting connections from a Cisco host. I will do some more testing with the freebsd client this weekend.

I have a Sun Ultra 10 in the closet... it runs Solaris 8 just fine (although really slow by today's standards). I don't use it anymore though.

Thought I would share this. I snagged an old Barracuda WebFilter 210 from a client that was replacing it with something that doesn't suck as bad. I thought, hey, this thing isn't so bad, it's got three NICs in it, I bet I could upgrade the RAM on it and run UNTANGLE!!!! Anyway, I reset the BIOS password and cracked it open to find this god-awful POS. The NICs on the front are what really kill me. Freaking Realtek PCI 10/100 NICs that are hot-glued in place and routed to the front with patch cables. The motherboard is an off the shelf MSI with a Sempron 3000+ CPU. It came with 512MB of RAM and I upped it to 1.5GB. I managed to get Astaro Home to run on it. Not sure I would actually want to use it with those crappy NICs, though.

Anyway, enjoy the ghetto-rigging that is Barracuda!

It's a Jetway board actually, not MSI. You're forgetting the best part though...the hand soldered wires on the parallel port legs that run from the front panel: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/misc/DSC01372.JPG

I think it depends on the revision. Mine definitely says MSI on it. I completely forgot about the parallel port action, that is truly awesome. :D

I swear, their hardware is garbage for what they charge for it. Seeing some of these things cracked open makes you wonder if they employed monkeys to design it...

Odd. Mine looks identical and it's Jetway. They certainly did go cheap on hardware though. Having dealt and fought with their support, I can't say I'm a big fan of the software either. They wanted us to buy another whole unit just to do outbound filtering as apparently ours would only do inbound or outbound and not both simultaneously.

This is what happens when cheap ass companies make stupid companies believe in its "innovation and design" and sell them off the shelf parts with special wiring and connectors to play make believe that the product is superior...

Sad...lol

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of the Barracuda Spam Firewall 300 I have sitting down there, too. I know for sure that one of them is an MSI board because I had to find drivers for it when I pulled the mobo and put it in a desktop so I could throw windows on it. :)

You need outbound filtering on a webfilter??

Hmmm, that's different looking than my 300. Mine doesn't even have the fancy barracuda sticker on the squirrel cage. I must have a really old one or something. One plus, neither of the Barracudas I have in my possession right now have refurbished HDDs. The last two I cracked open were brand new, when purchased, and I found refurbished HDDs in them. One was a Spam Firewall 100, came with a 900MHz VIA CPU and 256MB of RAM. LOL.

In terms of hardware quality, the higher end Symantec and Celestix appliances that I've owned have been top and are my favourites by far. They really didn't cut corners on them. A 900mhz VIA CPU is still plenty for many things. One of the Symantec appliances I used to have had a 1.33ghz VIA CPU, but had 5 x 1gbit Intel NICs too. Ran pfSense quite well.

I have a Spam Firewall 300. I forget why we wanted outbound filtering (it was a couple years ago), but I still thought it was silly that they wanted us to purchase a second one. Board in mine: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/misc/DSC01373.JPG

I like the fact that they rebrand the fans. :D Or do they actually make the hardware too? I always figured they were basically dell servers that were rebadged.

edit: Just read the previous posts, looks like they are all hacks. LOL

Last edited:
They're not the only ones that cut corners like that. I have a few Trend Micro appliances as well (which actually are rebadged Dell 1Us) and was greeted by this when I popped a video card in...looks like they were too cheap to even pay AMI for a license: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/misc/DSC01252.JPG

They're not the only ones that cut corners like that. I have a few Trend Micro appliances as well (which actually are rebadged Dell 1Us) and was greeted by this when I popped a video card in...looks like they were too cheap to even pay AMI for a license: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/misc/DSC01252.JPG

Similar thing was noticed on Watchguard Fireboxes. Turns out it had to be something special since the BiOS was built to write to the LCD. I think someone just forgot to unflag the evaluation warnings or something.

Pics are here!
PFSense Router
003.jpg

C2Q on left, C2d on right
004.jpg

Netgear Switch and Asus RT-N16
005.jpg

3com gigabit switch.
006.jpg

Router = Dell GX270 runnign latest buid of PFSense 2.0

Switch 1 - 3Com Baseline unmanaged 24port gigabit
Switch 2 - Netgear Prosafe GS16 16port Gigabit Switch

Server 1
C2Q 9300
2GB DDR2
400GB HDD
Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 R2

Server 2
C2D 6600
4GB DDR2
250GB Maxtor MAXLine III
Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 R2

Server 2 will be going down for maintenince as its idlling way too hot to be normal (55c at idle)

Last edited:

sorry to be OT but I just noticed stfcc.org or at the clan it was related to is dead? the last news post (or forum post) was from 2007 lol do you just use the site for pics and stuff now?

sorry to be OT but I just noticed stfcc.org or at the clan it was related to is dead? the last news post (or forum post) was from 2007 lol do you just use the site for pics and stuff now?
I do just use the site for pictures and the likes, but I'm not the owner (with a bit of work, you should be able to figure out who is though). The forums were really never used and the main page stopped being updated after TFC's popularity went downhill. Have plenty of space left on the site, so might as well put it to use though and bandwidth is much cheaper/faster than my dedicated server.

newswitches.jpg

Nothing too crazy, a few new dell switches.

The top two are 5448's, they will be used as frontend connectivity for our esx servers.

The bottom two are stacked 6424's, they will be used for our EMC SAN backend connectivity.

Last edited:
Starting to fill out my mini-rack/cisco lab. Since my last pictures I added another 2621, the 24 port patch panel and some more cabling.

The little linksys was just there so I could play with "wan failover" using HSRP (1 cable back to my main home network (DIR-655) --> switch --> one cable to each 2621. Simulated wan failover by unplugging one of the cables and watching the secondary router transition from standby to active.

179242_584198424936_42501654_33381488_295637_n.jpg

I had an awesome night last night! A client of mine was switching from a single T1 to Dual 15/4 cable connections (one for phone, one for data). Their network closet has been a mess since day one and finally this gave me an excuse to clean it. They aren't as clean as I would like them, but I was there from 5pm friday to 4am saturday as it was dressing cables and doing the switch over / getting firewalls and VPNs reconfigured. Didn't want to push my luck.

This is the only before picture I have. As you can see switches hanging by cables, things just tossed where they fit, disgusting. Cleaning out all these closets I found loops, switches and servers pluged into the "Core" (usually a Linksys 10/100 hub) instead of the gig uplink ports. of the three sites this was the cleanest to start with.

centralparkbefore.jpg

Site 2. Thankfully they had panduet stuff for this site, however without slackloops or any other cable management in the cable troughs this was the best I could do.

carterg.jpg

Site 3: This is the core site, and the site with the most problems. After spending about 2 hours getting everything setup here we saw about 50% of the problems we were seeing in the network vanish! We also finally got console access to the ASA5505 and the Catalyst 2960 and were able to configure them the way we needed instead of the basically blank configs left by the previous IT company.

parselles1.jpg

Last edited:
C7J0yc3 Nice work on all of that. Slackloops or not you cant even notice :). Did you end up getting them a rack for the first picture if that is Site 1?

I don't know why it is but for some odd reason Mike's setup makes me feel depressed! so odd, something about the pictures is really odd but I don't know what it is.

C7J0yc3 Nice work on all of that. Slackloops or not you cant even notice :). Did you end up getting them a rack for the first picture if that is Site 1?

Unfortunately not yet. Very soon we will be however as they are merging their server room (servers sitting on a table in a conference room) and their network closet (what you see in that picture) into an unused office on an outside wall so we can properly mount cooling in there. That should bee sometime in the next 4 months (we have approval but not funding....damn NPO).

Before:

After:

Yes, I love seeing the fronts of the devices ;-) usually it's bought for LAN parties, but right now it's used for playing around and studying purposes...the bottom switch is a layer 3 switch which is used as a backbone right now and it will be connected to the Alcatel switches using L3 and some routing protocol to communicate with the Ciscos.

New to this is: Cisco 3640 with 12.3 IOS, 32 flash/96 RAM, 4 Ethernet, 1 FE, 8 BRI, 4 serial. Seems like all of my routers have some BRI in it ;-)

Back