Network pics thread

Heres my current project i'm working on for a client. Doctors office that has a DVC speaker in each exam room with a volume control in each room. We also did the network wiring so we're wiring up the rack with data as well. Leaving room for 4 24 port switches that they will put in later. I got as far as patching down all the data wires on Friday. Monday will get the audio gear/DVR installed (we also did a DVR for them)

(All taken from my iPhone)

168170_1587909253057_1095570040_31391695_1572634_n.jpg

163397_1587907213006_1095570040_31391687_18671_n.jpg

165737_1587907653017_1095570040_31391689_1852830_n.jpg

does anyone know a good place to find this cable management (neatpatch like) equipment in the UK? (there appears to be one uk reseller of the neatpatch stuff but no prices- i'm guessing they will be overpriced)

Finished my MGT BBA, and CCNA last year and have been studying for the CCNP for a few months now.

3 x 2620xm
1 x 2621xm
2 x 2650
2509 access server
3 x 2950 switches(only using one right now)

also have a 2610 and a 3640 that need memory/modules

It's setup with one of the 2650's as a Frame Relay switch

Hopefully, I'll get around to getting a rack together at some point, but this works for now. Check out my blog if there you are starting this type of setup and have any config questions. I am working through the CBT Nugget CCNP videos, so as I'm making the configs, I'm posting them. I'll hopefully be taking a test every two months with the goal to finish the CCNP by the end of June. It helps if you just schedule the test and pay for it, then it's do or die, and no one wants to waste $150. One of the guy's at work is on his third shot at the CCIE R&S Lab at $1400+ per pop, ouch. Company won't pay for it unless he passes.

There should be quite a bit posted, and once I start Switch, a new pic with some 3550's and related configs.

www.ccnporbust.blogspot.com

Frame_relay_v2%20%282%29.jpg

2011-01-04%2004.22.43.jpg

Last edited:
The tower of failure. 4 RVS4000s and a RVL200. All pulled out of customer's environments for various reasons and usually replaced with sonicwall TZ170s or TZ210s. My task for today, update the firmware, test them, if they work put them in the redeployment (donation) pile, if they don't RMA them.

img0110jk.jpg

The tower of failure. 4 RVS4000s and a RVL200. All pulled out of customer's environments for various reasons and usually replaced with sonicwall TZ170s or TZ210s. My task for today, update the firmware, test them, if they work put them in the redeployment (donation) pile, if they don't RMA them.

img0110jk.jpg

Weird, im just about to install one of the rvs4000's in a few days.

Figured I posted my simple home setup here:

5385833030_b298142d8d_z.jpg

top to bottom:
24-panel patch
motorola 6120
HP 1810g
trendnet POE injector

Norco 4220 running openfiler:
E2160
2gb
ARC-1231ML
8x Seagate 1.5tb 7200.11

Server Box running Esxi 3.5(server 08, pfsense, untangle, stuff :p...):
ASUS P5BV-M
Q9400
4x 2gb

Not too complicated as others I've seen in this thread, just tried to keep it as clean as possible :)

5385232235_3bc9de2461_z.jpg

In the closet!, I think I should put a smoke detector in there. There's a small vent but not sure if its enough..

Finished the audio system today. Its at a doctors office so he has 3 8 speaker selectors (originally we quoted out 20 speakers on 20 switches but he still has the 20 speakers but on 18 switches now... 3 of them are in one room)... it works nicely. The speaker selectors will never actually be used but it was a far neater/easier way to connect all the speakers to the same amp then splicing the wires together. We left room for their IT guy to install his switches. Hopefully he uses my wire managers, as thats why i put them in. Not my neatest job as far as wiring but i had to cleanup after the wires were ran (fire/alarm/phone/data/speakers) and we also had to make it so the rack could be taken out of the room so the phone guy could get in and they could do maintenance, so we did just that... im not a fan of closets for data racks, i like to be able to get behind my racks without moving them, but it met all the needs:

164363_1589666416985_1095570040_31395053_2496925_n.jpg

179088_1589666696992_1095570040_31395054_6237373_n.jpg

Heres the rack out and rotated 90 degrees so they can get inside the closet for anything they need to do:

164890_1589670977099_1095570040_31395063_8177636_n.jpg

I have the wires all ziptied to cable bars so they can't pull the patches out.

That stack of 4000's reminds me of a company we changed a few years ago who had 20 sd2008 v1's running the network, they were closing a deal for an acquisition on a conference, and then one went which happened to be the main, and the other company got pissed, then canceled. lol

Looks like the racks we used to do for Lowes Building supply stores. The rolled into a tiny closet out on the floor. I think there were three idf's and the MDF in the back by the employee break rooms. Their software guy broke his arm and I had to learn basic Unix on the fly so that we could ping the registers and make sure it all worked. I saw more of Warrington Pa, and multiple spots in N. Carolina, Arkansas, and Ohio than I ever wanted to. So glad to be behind a desk now.:cool:

Finished the audio system today. Its at a doctors office so he has 3 8 speaker selectors (originally we quoted out 20 speakers on 20 switches but he still has the 20 speakers but on 18 switches now... 3 of them are in one room)... it works nicely. The speaker selectors will never actually be used but it was a far neater/easier way to connect all the speakers to the same amp then splicing the wires together. We left room for their IT guy to install his switches. Hopefully he uses my wire managers, as thats why i put them in. Not my neatest job as far as wiring but i had to cleanup after the wires were ran (fire/alarm/phone/data/speakers) and we also had to make it so the rack could be taken out of the room so the phone guy could get in and they could do maintenance, so we did just that... im not a fan of closets for data racks, i like to be able to get behind my racks without moving them, but it met all the needs:

164363_1589666416985_1095570040_31395053_2496925_n.jpg

179088_1589666696992_1095570040_31395054_6237373_n.jpg

Heres the rack out and rotated 90 degrees so they can get inside the closet for anything they need to do:

164890_1589670977099_1095570040_31395063_8177636_n.jpg

I have the wires all ziptied to cable bars so they can't pull the patches out.

Its a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 series rack. It ships flat via UPS you put it together. Not a bad price point really.

I think we charged the client a grand for the rack, patch panels, wire maangers, shelves/etc...

I find it disappointing that society doesn't make the shift to skin-tight form-fitting uniforms until after first contact.. I hope I can make it until 2063....

Riley

I find it disappointing that society doesn't make the shift to skin-tight form-fitting uniforms until after first contact.. I hope I can make it until 2063....

Riley

Are you sure about that. You really want to ride the turbo lift with 2-ton-teen in a skin tight uniform?

Riley
Take a 'people watching' stroll through Wal Mart sometime & you'll quickly realize why I am very glad that we are not all wearing skin-tight, form-fitting uniforms.

Take a 'people watching' stroll through Wal Mart sometime & you'll quickly realize why I am very glad that we are not all wearing skin-tight, form-fitting uniforms.

PeopleofWalMart.com/startrek ? "fat slobs - The Next Generation"?

"Beam me up Scotty"

"she can't doo it captain, your arse, it's just too big!"

"Divert power from forward thrusters!"

So I'm thinking about getting rid of some equipment (or some kit for those across the Atlantic). I had gotten this equipment in college from ebay with the intention of getting my CCNA, now after having been out of college for 5 years this coming may I highly doubt I'd even want to use it in my own home network. Why?

1. All Swtiches are 10/100
  2. I want a complete GIGABIT network
  3. I prefer to build my own linux routers
  4. My firewall is a linux box I built myself
  5. And finally I plan on running fiber links to every room in my (future) house where a wired system is required.

What would be your thoughts? I've thought about getting rid of whole lot for 600 - 800 bucks and buying a 48-port GIGABIT Switch. I'm in the process of building/planning some servers that I will use for a playground of sorts.

img0013120.jpg

img0013220.jpg

img0013320.jpg

img0013420.jpg

holy huge pictures batman!

I am in the same boat. I would like to use my cisco gear, but the 10/100 is kind of limiting.

Keep watching Ebay like a hawk, that 1000BT 2970G i have in the Sroom pictures was on sale for 150.00 because of a config issue they couldn't fix, now it works great, and the 1811W was for 100.00 because of missing ram, works great too. Great deals to those who wait or just maybe have free time..lol

Cat 4000s are worthless lol... don't bother. The older sups won't even run IOS IIRC, just ancient versions of CatOS. Personally I hope to never touch one of those again. We had tons of them at the last site I worked at and we were trying desperately to migrate all the hosts off them. It was a nightmare.

To the people complaining about 10/100 for Cisco labs, this really isn't an issue. You don't need gigabit to master the fundamentals of routing and switching. In fact, slower serial links are helpful when you're learning because you can watch the logging roll by slowly and actually see various actions happen individually instead of seemingly all at once.

Cat 4000s are worthless lol... don't bother. The older sups won't even run IOS IIRC, just ancient versions of CatOS. Personally I hope to never touch one of those again. We had tons of them at the last site I worked at and we were trying desperately to migrate all the hosts off them. It was a nightmare.

To the people complaining about 10/100 for Cisco labs, this really isn't an issue. You don't need gigabit to master the fundamentals of routing and switching. In fact, slower serial links are helpful when you're learning because you can watch the logging roll by slowly and actually see various actions happen individually instead of seemingly all at once.

you can run 3 diff sup's in it that will run ios sup2+ sup3 sup4, and you can do gig on it, just get a 4448 line card, you just cant do POE on a cat4k chassis with out the external shelf, whats wrong with the cat4k's? we still have a handful (8 or 10) of them running in production that we havent upgraded yet, and all the 4000's are replaced with 4500's (probably have 500-1000 4500's in production that we upgraded from 4000's since they went end of sale). for layer 2 only or even some light layer 3 stuff they arent bad of a switch at all.

Got my shares, so I decided to buy myself a Supermicro Atom server. I installed a 500GB hard drive and a Qlogic Fiber HBA which will be to use with my fiber channel SAN. Never played with that equipment but I am hoping I can just make it so the server sees each hdd individually, from there I will use Open Filer to create a SAN. I want to avoid using the proprietary SAN's software as this thing is old and could possibly crap out any time. If I stick to something semi standard recovery will be easier. I've also been wanting to play with Open Filer, so this will be a great opportunity.

(don't mind the mess on there, lot of random stuff lol)

My rack with the 4 SAN enclosures:
(posted it before, but thought I'd post again for those who have not seen it)

Its a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 series rack. It ships flat via UPS you put it together. Not a bad price point really.

I think we charged the client a grand for the rack, patch panels, wire maangers, shelves/etc...

Adam, would you mind telling me how much you paid for the rack and what model it is ?

Got my shares, so I decided to buy myself a Supermicro Atom server. I installed a 500GB hard drive and a Qlogic Fiber HBA which will be to use with my fiber channel SAN. Never played with that equipment but I am hoping I can just make it so the server sees each hdd individually, from there I will use Open Filer to create a SAN. I want to avoid using the proprietary SAN's software as this thing is old and could possibly crap out any time. If I stick to something semi standard recovery will be easier. I've also been wanting to play with Open Filer, so this will be a great opportunity.

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/house_projects/server_room/server.JPG

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/house_projects/server_room/server2.JPG
(don't mind the mess on there, lot of random stuff lol)

My rack with the 4 SAN enclosures:
(posted it before, but thought I'd post again for those who have not seen it)

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/house_projects/server_room/dsc03546.JPG
What PCI-E riser is that?? I've been looking for one just like that since I have the exact same supermicro as you do.

you can run 3 diff sup's in it that will run ios sup2+ sup3 sup4, and you can do gig on it, just get a 4448 line card, you just cant do POE on a cat4k chassis with out the external shelf, whats wrong with the cat4k's? we still have a handful (8 or 10) of them running in production that we havent upgraded yet, and all the 4000's are replaced with 4500's (probably have 500-1000 4500's in production that we upgraded from 4000's since they went end of sale). for layer 2 only or even some light layer 3 stuff they arent bad of a switch at all.
Most of the pieces and parts for 4006s are way past EOS or even totally EOL. We're not talking about 4500s...

Replacing line cards, sups, or even power supplies isn't cost effective for home use. Plus they are loud and use a lot more power than a fixed-config switch, but don't really net you anything since you won't need the port density in a home/lab environment.

There are a lot better choices out there than trying to resurrect an obsolete Catalyst like that. Even in a datacenter they are well past their useable life-span since the entire chassis went EOL last year so you can't associate it with a maintenance contract. So, unless you have an on-hand stock of obsolete hardware as spares laying around, I'd think about moving your hosts off them (which is why we moved all the hosts left on them to 6509s years ago).

What PCI-E riser is that?? I've been looking for one just like that since I have the exact same supermicro as you do.

It came with the server but it does look like it's fairly standard, so maybe supermicro sells them separate.

Most of the pieces and parts for 4006s are way past EOS or even totally EOL. We're not talking about 4500s...

Replacing line cards, sups, or even power supplies isn't cost effective for home use. Plus they are loud and use a lot more power than a fixed-config switch, but don't really net you anything since you won't need the port density in a home/lab environment.

There are a lot better choices out there than trying to resurrect an obsolete Catalyst like that. Even in a datacenter they are well past their useable life-span since the entire chassis went EOL last year so you can't associate it with a maintenance contract. So, unless you have an on-hand stock of obsolete hardware as spares laying around, I'd think about moving your hosts off them (which is why we moved all the hosts left on them to 6509s years ago).

i agree that its old and theres no reason to try to use it in production, it is EOL, but if its cheap, its alot cheaper then trying to buy a 3560 or something to get a good layer3 switch for a lab, and a 4006 wont draw that much power if its not loaded, you dont need 3 psu's to get it going at home, you can pick up a sup4 for around $300on ebay, and any of the older line cards go for like $10, gig ones a few hundred, you can get a 4306-gbic card to play with fiber for dirt cheap too vs a 3560 @ 1000 or so (excluding the 8 port)

Back