Network pics thread

how do you find the HP blade servers compare to IBM H series? I've never used the HP gear.

HP was in last wednesday to try selling us on their c3000 or c7000 hp blades. So far I have to admit after saying it would only take a couple of days and we still haven't heard from them...

Final pics of my office move from this thread.

I'm done with the move and now will be building a lab in our spare cabinet with some gear from home and some leftover gear from the office.

Pics from our wiring closet (all 42U occupied right off the bat):

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

The contractor wall. The alarm guy decided his gear was going to be the only stuff on the wall ever so he took up all of the space. Subsequent contractors had to work around his gear and did a sloppy job of planning in my opinion. (I'm looking at you Fiber Guy and Cable Guy)

IMG_2174.JPG

Last edited:
If the fiber and the coax techs did that in our building i would never call them again, and their techs would not leave, or be given final payment until we signed off on a proper install. These guys look like they didn't give a damn at all..lol

Last edited:
They didn't and don't.

The building we moved into (in San Francisco) is a full-on union shopped building. We are only allowed to work with building approved contractors to get shit done in the office. Of course these contractors have a monopoly on the building work so they come in and do whatever the hell they want and then saunter out again. Customer service? Screw that...

But the location is nice and my commute rocks. :)

They didn't and don't.

The building we moved into (in San Francisco) is a full-on union shopped building. We are only allowed to work with building approved contractors to get shit done in the office. Of course these contractors have a monopoly on the building work so they come in and do whatever the hell they want and then saunter out again. Customer service? Screw that...

But the location is nice and my commute rocks. :)

Man that really sucks. If I were in your position I would get coax crimps and ends and redo that wall myself, the rack looks good, but that wall looks like garbage.

EDIT: Can you tell that cable guy gets paid by the foot?

I hate monopolies...glad we're in Alberta, not in BC, Did you guys get to at least ask them "what the fruit?" Haha at least one good thing came out of it.

Finally tracked down a cabinet in my area and got a great deal on it. It came in yesterday - and I'm waiting on some more mounting hardware to come in so I can move the rest of my equipment in.

a1xRR.png

HKTlJ.png

I don't dare open the back and take pictures - much more cable management needs to be completed first!

lW3qx.png

The fun stuff. The top half - top to bottom:
PDU
Cable modem, Pix501, 8port gigabit switch
SMC Tigerswitch 12 port gigabit
HP2824
Catalyst 2950-24
2x Advocent 16 Port (RJ45) serial Switches
-In the back is an 8 port Advocent KVM
1U keyboard/monitor shelf

xilDH.png

Norco 4020 used for on-site backups, and also holds my pfsense box (none of the drive bays have power or connection - they are strictly for holding backups.)
Norco 4020 FS - running Ubuntu 10.04 server. Currently has 11TB storage.
PDU
2U Atipa Server - Running Ubuntu 10.04 server. Backuppc box - turns on when needed and runs nightly backups of network.
2U Atipa Server - Running Ubuntu 10.04 server. DNS, CUPS, nagios, cacti.
APC 3000va UPS - waiting for electrician to install a dedicated 30A circuit for this beast.

Rearranged things a bit and got a couple new things to add to the collection. The RSA SecurID appliance is proving to be a bit of a headache though.

IMG_1001s.jpg

Hey guy's

Im new here, I found this forum, via this actual thread, on google images, looking for a better picture of a cisco router I was bidding on via ebay.

Anyway first off love everyones work here.

I dont have much of a massive network here, however I do have a small lab to help me with my CCNA studies, so i've made a diagram on that giffy, and got a picture of my lab too.

CCNA LAB

I bought it off ebay, which you can see here still I think,
  • WS-C2950-24 Switch 24
  • WS-C2950-24 Switch 24
  • 1760 Router 64Mb DRAM / 32Mb FLASH (VOIP Router)
    No wic's added yet
    Hostname: Voice
  • 2620XM 128Mb DRAM / 32Mb FLASH IOS 12.4 IP VOICE
    Hostname: Larry
    NM-4E
    Wic-1T
  • 2620XM 128Mb DRAM / 32Mb FLASH IOS 12.4 K9 Advance Security
    Hostname: Moe
    Wic-1T
  • Cisco 2610 32/8
    Hostname: Frame
    NM-4AS
  • Cisco 837 ADSL Router
    I dont use this, as I dont have ADSL in my house, no idea what to do with it, if you can give me idea's that would be great
  • Cisco 803 ISDN Router
    Hostname: Gateway
    Connects to my computer, so I can access everything via Telnet

I had purchased a WIC-1T for my 1760, however is was DOA, so awaiting for the replacement to arrive, also need some DB60 back to back cables.

I did buy a NM-2FE2W, to find out it wasnt compatible with my routers, should learn to check myself rather than rely on what I am told.

I have completed the Cisco Net Acad CCNA Course, just need to take actual exams, so I am revising, a good website I found was http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com. But I also prefer my own notes, messign around, and Im trying to use the CCNA Press books. Hope to move onto CCNP when I've finished.

In terms of my own network, not the lab. My computer dual boots, Windows 7 and Server 2008 (thank you dreamspark). It doesnt have a serial, hense the need for telneting into the 803.

If I need to use a serial connection, then I have to use the serial from the port replicator of my mums laptop. I should buy a usb convertor, but im a skint, ex-student, just finished my studies.

My pc also serves as a DLNA server for both my PS3, and the Xbox 360 downstairs.

After finding this forum and seeing what people do for their own home networks, im quite impressed, can't wait to move out and use some of those idea's.

Also Im not sure if your allowed to ask or not, but if anyone has a later image for the 803 router, other than c800-y6-mw.120-5.T, then I'd be greatful for it.

Just a final note, the reason why I use both RIP and EIGRP in my ccna lab, is because the 803 doesnt support EIGRP, so I learnt to merge both, something out of scope for the CCNA, so impressed I managed to do it first time. And as the diagram shows I use the 2610 as the central point for merging the two routing protocols.

Sorry for rambling on, over and out.

Dean

Edit:
Forgot to add my speedtest, so there it is.
Because its a home line, I do get subject to traffic shaping, but I've got it worked out perfectly:
My download limits are as follows
7am - 3pm = 1500mb
3pm - 4pm = unlimited
4pm - 9pm = 700mb
9pm - 7am = unlimited

Last edited:
Hey guy's

Im new here, I found this forum, via this actual thread, on google images, looking for a better picture of a cisco router I was bidding on via ebay.

Anyway first off love everyones work here.
Dean

Dean, welcome to the forums, You will love it here, Nice setup.

Dean, welcome to the forums, You will love it here, Nice setup.

thanks,
I already do, i found this forum about page 65, so i started from the very first page about tuesday last week, and I am on about 70 now, so still gotta get through it all, and thats before I've even bothered looking at the rest of the forum

Some new toys for the office

HP Procurve 4208VL
img0022sa.jpg

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 (we got 2 identical ones)
img0019pj.jpg

Specs on the ProLiants
2x Intel X5605s
48GB DDR3 ECC registered
2x 146GB 15K SAS 6GB/sec
6x NIC
HP iLO (full license)
MS Windows Server 2008 R2 Data Center as Hyper V hypervisors

We will be moving to a CoLo in a couple weeks so we are building everything here, and then moving it so that we are live as soon as we power up the servers in the CoLo.

thanks,
I already do, i found this forum about page 65, so i started from the very first page about tuesday last week, and I am on about 70 now, so still gotta get through it all, and thats before I've even bothered looking at the rest of the forum

There are only 35 pages. :cool:

HP Procurve 4208VL

Specs on the ProLiants
2x Intel X5605s
48GB DDR3 ECC registered
2x 146GB 15K SAS 6GB/sec
6x NIC
HP iLO (full license)

We will be moving to a CoLo in a couple weeks so we are building everything here, and then moving it so that we are live as soon as we power up the servers in the CoLo.

Wow... I bet those are loud as hell.

Actually that switch chassis is quieter then the 2 2810s that it is replacing because it uses 4 12cm quiet fans (I suggested we replace them with blue LED ones, this got shot down :( ).

As far as the servers go, for 1U they are surprisingly quiet I have them sitting in my cube now, and my desk fan is louder then they are idling. Even loading them while we installed guest OSes they were still in the bearable level.

Forgot to add my speedtest, so there it is.
Because its a home line, I do get subject to traffic shaping, but I've got it worked out perfectly:
My download limits are as follows
7am - 3pm = 1500mb
3pm - 4pm = unlimited
4pm - 9pm = 700mb
9pm - 7am - unlimited

HP Procurve 4208VL

Specs on the ProLiants
2x Intel X5605s
48GB DDR3 ECC registered
2x 146GB 15K SAS 6GB/sec
6x NIC
HP iLO (full license)

Nice equipment!

Nice to see someone else from the UK :)

yeah keep lookiing to see if anyone mentions stuff from the uk, i want one of those 1u supermicro cases for an untangle box, but i think im just gona buy a firebox off ebay and put the firmware on it,

and god having stuff shipped to england from america is expensive

After a little revision, here is a view of my network:

I am heading more into the realm of virtualizing; primarily due to my job and how heavy we do VMware so it pays to learn more of it - also because it just makes a hell of a lot more sense then running multiple physical machines.

That above is just my home network, my Cisco Lab is not included in that.

Actually that switch chassis is quieter then the 2 2810s that it is replacing because it uses 4 12cm quiet fans (I suggested we replace them with blue LED ones, this got shot down :( ).

As far as the servers go, for 1U they are surprisingly quiet I have them sitting in my cube now, and my desk fan is louder then they are idling. Even loading them while we installed guest OSes they were still in the bearable level.
I was going to say the same. They really have quieted down the newer HP servers quite a bit. Now when they are first plugged in and powered up self testing itself it has a tendency of pulling in people two rooms away wondering what kind of new power tool someone is using :D :p

I was going to say the same. They really have quieted down the newer HP servers quite a bit. Now when they are first plugged in and powered up self testing itself it has a tendency of pulling in people two rooms away wondering what kind of new power tool someone is using :D :p

I remember turning on the First 1u server i ever worked on, it was a apple dual processor G4 with the pretty nice blue led lights on the front showing the cpu load, THAT THING was god dam loud, Didn't help that the person who set it up didn't lock / chmod the php admin file so every day i came into work the cpu's were maxed out because it was a mail *SPAM* server and every day it was compromised because he wouldn't listen to me.

BUT the machine was frigging LOUD as hell.

Don't buy an ASR1000 if you don't have a set of earplugs handy. That thing was louder than any server I've ever worked with.

yeah keep lookiing to see if anyone mentions stuff from the uk, i want one of those 1u supermicro cases for an untangle box, but i think im just gona buy a firebox off ebay and put the firmware on it,

and god having stuff shipped to england from america is expensive

I was thinking about the firebox too but it's fairly underpowered and I'm unsure about it, I want a nice racked solution but it's less powerfull than the dimension 4100 I've currently got debian running on.

Having said that, they do seem to be pretty reasonable price wise <£100 but I just don't know if they have the power to run the line (10meg leased fibre).

I might be over-reacting however :D

finally a picture from home...

IMG_4125.jpg

top to bottom...

1232 (workgroup bridge for connectivity to my home network)
3 pdu's
3x 3640 (tons of interfaces)
1x 2621xm
1x 2651xm
1x pix515e
2x 3550-24
2x 3640g-48ps
1x 4530 sup2+ts 4548-gb-rj45v 4448-gb-rj45
1x ls1010
1x 6506 sup2-msfc2 6408-gbic 6148a-gb-45af

not everything is plugged in yet...ran out of patch cables, need to come up with some more ...still need more atm interfaces so i can get everything in the atm cloud (unless i scrap that idea for now), to figure out what im going to do to get the octal's to reach everything for console and a flexwan or two for the 6500, its going to be my frame switch...once everything is plugged in ill make a visio and share it...

not pictured is my home network...2811 with a 16 port ESW, 2fxo card, an ap-1232 for wireless for home and a lap-1152 that connects to office extend at work (which is awesome)

That 4503 looks like a lot add weight in there too. You can ship it to me if you want. Lighten the load ;)

a lap-1152 that connects to office extend at work (which is awesome)

interesting, more about this? works over an ipsec tunnel or something? does the lightweight access point start up and establish a tunnel to communicate to the controller back at your place?

interesting, more about this? works over an ipsec tunnel or something? does the lightweight access point start up and establish a tunnel to communicate to the controller back at your place?

It creates its own tunnel, all you need is to preconfig the AP and then just plug it in where theres internet somewhere, its configured with an ssid that just tunnels over pretty much encypted lwapp through the controller, the link about office extend is below, i believe it only works with the new 5500 controllers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns430/solution_overview_c22-523307.html

Back