Network pics thread

Cleanest 'mess' I've ever seen :p

I guess my only gripe is the 10' foot cables where there should be custom length cables. Makes it a pain to sift through the web of tangles. I'll throw pics up after things get sorted, just for good measure. :)

custom length cables.

Custom length cables? Who wants to spend time dealing with eather measuring distances or cutting cables themselves?

The best I do with custom length cables is ordering sets of 6', 9',15' and 25' lengths and using whatever is closest...

Wrap the slack in velcro ties and stick 'em behind covered Panduit. :D

Custom length cables? Who wants to spend time dealing with eather measuring distances or cutting cables themselves?

The best I do with custom length cables is ordering sets of 6', 9',15' and 25' lengths and using whatever is closest...

Wrap the slack in velcro ties and stick 'em behind covered Panduit. :D

WHAT, you mean you don't use zip-ties ( cable ties) and pull them sooo tight, and then use about 10 zillion of them ?

You have no idea, how many times i have seen dumbass's use them and use sooooo many ties, not just using so many, i swear they pull them tight for some weird ass reason.

Good to you for using velcro :)

zip ties is about as good as making your own patch cables, hand made patch cables, in my experience, fail more often than pre made cables. With proper wire management techniques you shouldn't need to use a 14 3/4" cable, a 2' cable should work just fine

That being said, sometimes you jsut need to suck it up and do what you're told, including making all your own cables, case in point, some of the past work I've done where I made my own cables to length:

(don't mind the rack on the left, or all the cables strung between the two racks, was temp stuff :p)
IMG00074.jpg

In this instance the wrong cabinet was ordered, and they wouldn't get a different one, by the end of it there were 4 full patch panels and both 48 port switches were nearly full, no room at all for cable management :(
5.jpg

I shudder to think of all the effort that must have gone into that 6U box. It sho' look purdy, but damn if each one of those cables was custom length it must have taken hours.

I shudder to think of all the effort that must have gone into that 6U box. It sho' look purdy, but damn if each one of those cables was custom length it must have taken hours.

It surely is faster for pre-made cables. However I was surprised to find that custom made cables are pretty damn fast if you do them a lot. :p

Status on that cleanup, you'd be surprised to know that a shit ton of cables were not even doing anything. :p

The 6U cabinet took a solid 2 days or punching cables, did it over a weekend. that includes terminating the drops to keystones and making the patch cables.

4x36 port patch panels
2x48 port Cisco 3650-pwr switches

working on a new project... hope it works out alright...

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

little by little... I will post more as I do more... not going for all out great looks really... but I'll try not to make it look like horrible poop.

That's a heck of a cleanup :) can't wait to see more when you continue...what did you do with everything in there? Some boxes from back in the day, hell even a few AMD K7 board boxes haha...

My cisco lab. I'll post a better pic when i have a better camera with me. haha.

IMG00041.jpg

edit: wow, that IS a bad photo. updates soon.

- IBM Think Center (model)?

- Cisco Aironet 1242AG

- Cisco 3550 (switch-3)
- Cisco 3560-48 (switch-2)
- Cisco 3560-48 (switch-1)

- Cisco 2620XM (router-1)
- Cisco 2620XM (rotuer-2)
- Cisco 2620XM (router-3)

- Cisco 2611 (access router)

- Cisco 3640 (router-4) frame relay
- Cisco 3640 (router-5) frame relay

- Adtran Atlas 550 (BRI, POTs, and T1 interfaces)
- APC master switches

Last edited:
Update:

built shelves in the room so temporary here's all the crap:
DSC_0506.jpg

Dropped wires:
DSC_0505.jpg

Patched:
DSC_0507.jpg

switched:
DSC_0508.jpg

I'm ready for my close-up!
DSC_0509.jpg

Great project idea! Looks like your closet is only about 2 ft deep though - how are you going to be able to move any servers in there (assuming you're planning to) with that small amount of clearance?

Greatone123: your network equipment is almost identical to what i used to use. Linksys router, netgear switches/dell switches. We've now switched (no pun intended) almost everything over to netgear... they have a better warranty then dell and ive only had 4 issues with netgear switches (bad batch, repaced right away though)... dell... they always die on me after 2 years or so.

Heres my storage room... i'll post newer photos of the server room tomm now that the rack/cabinet are finally done:

(We don't sell computer parts... but we build DVR systems and in this room im building about 20 2U computer systems and maybe 10 DVR systems)... its also my storage room for extra equipment/etc...

20831_1338552779301_1095570040_30868026_8035946_n.jpg

20831_1338552339290_1095570040_30868025_930499_n.jpg

20831_1338551979281_1095570040_30868024_6419727_n.jpg

Well, as long as we're posting pics of our bedroom datacenter / storage / workshops, here's mine from about a year ago (this room is in a CONSTANT state of change)...
panoramic06.jpg

nice work with the panorama lens (or is it a fish eye?). I'd love to know more about the shooting technique.

nice katana on the back wall :p

Top to bottom: DVD Replicator, XBOX 360, Cisco SRW2024 (24port gigabit managed switch), Generic cheapo rackmount TFT, HP DL385 G2 (G5), 2x DELL 2950, Xerox Phaser 6110 (redundant, now replaced with 6121), 2x Rackable Systems cheapo servers

Annoyingly i think i "rushed" into buying the rack and went for a cheaper option (with not enough depth or width/cable management solution)

I'll have to dig Viso out again sometime to document the lot including all the stuff throughout the house and the virtual lab stuff.

L

nice work with the panorama lens (or is it a fish eye?). I'd love to know more about the shooting technique.

nice katana on the back wall :p

LOL!! You guys notice the smallest of details! I actually get these shots with a standard digital camera. You can read about it here...

Here's my shop. It's a mess but I wouldn't have it any other way!

20747_1200920589881_1434540016_30611606_451837_n.jpg

20747_1200920509879_1434540016_30611605_2867149_n.jpg

20747_1200920469878_1434540016_30611604_8140554_n.jpg

20747_1200920629882_1434540016_30611607_5031783_n.jpg

I will take a picture of the rack sometime this week.

teh depth is just over 2 ft.

Most of my servers are mATX 2Us (Norco 230's) so that's not a problem

I have a few shallow 4U's also which fit.

My biggest case is my 4020, it will fit, but only a few inches available in the rear, I'll probably get a 90 degree power cable for it, luckily the back of the norco is slightly recessed, so it makes it easier to plug things in. (not 100% sure on all this but I'll figure something out if it becomes a problem.)

@jeffmoss26

I dig the pbx in your shop. Makes me appreciate my VOIP

EDIT:

I do want that orange phone.... Turn it into the bat phone for work

Calvin, I have 3 phone systems lol...L to R: Nortel Norstar, Inter-Tel Axxess, and my favorite, the 1A2.
The orange phone was custom made by me with a can of orange spray paint and a friend who had an orange handset cord. It's damn near impossible to get paint to stick to a handset cord. One of these days I'll display my box of old phones. I have some interesting ones.

Calvin, I have 3 phone systems lol...L to R: Nortel Norstar, Inter-Tel Axxess, and my favorite, the 1A2.
The orange phone was custom made by me with a can of orange spray paint and a friend who had an orange handset cord. It's damn near impossible to get paint to stick to a handset cord. One of these days I'll display my box of old phones. I have some interesting ones.

Good Ole Nortel Norstar. I manage one for about another week and then i'll never get to deal with one again.

Ohhh good ole Axxess... god i hated programming that thing, back in the day when it barely had a windows interface. But they've come a ways sice my days working with em.

My biggest case is my 4020, it will fit, but only a few inches available in the rear, I'll probably get a 90 degree power cable for it, luckily the back of the norco is slightly recessed, so it makes it easier to plug things in. (not 100% sure on all this but I'll figure something out if it becomes a problem.)

Just measured my 4020... 25 1/2"! Going to be close. Hope it works out for you.

So just like they say put up or shut up haha :) So below is my network/server setup:

Top to bottom: Cisco 1760 (CME 4.1), Astaro 220 W/PFSense, 3500XL PoE,2970G
DSCN0346.JPG

Top to bottom File server,DC,Mail Server
DSCN0345.JPG

3500 XL in this shot has been removed. Left to right: AsteriskPBX 1,File Server 1, Future MS Sharepoint Server/Ghost machine
DSCN0349.jpg

Without the flash as it hates the LEDs :)
DSCN0348.JPG

All up and Running (except 1760):
DSCN0353.JPG

Speed test:

Nice work jeffmoss26. Here's a setup I recently did for a church / school
network27.jpg

You should have seen what it looked like before I got a hold of it!

@calvinj, The Norstars last forever. even though there is no more Nortel. Are you taking it out and putting in something else?

@adam, I cut my teeth on the Axxess. Mine is only v4.2 and they are on v11 now, lol. The things it can do now are pretty amazing. My dad worked for an Inter-Tel dealer so I got a lot of experience with the products

@jmroberts70, Not bad, as always the mess seems to be with the phone company's wiring lol. Gotta love the requisite stack of paint cans though!

@NTAuthourity So what didn't you like about the astaro box? Never seen one in person all though Captian keeps trying to con me into getting one

Back